Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,037 members, 7,866,923 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 08:15 AM

APC Crisis: Saraki Challenges Party Leadership On Senate Presidency - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / APC Crisis: Saraki Challenges Party Leadership On Senate Presidency (758 Views)

Fayose Slams Buhari & His Leadership On Channels TV. Some Nigerians Hail Him / Saraki Replies APC Leadership On NASS Crisis, Says "My Hands Are Tied" / I Will Return Stronger To Rebuild PDP,Johnathan Tells Party Leadership (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

APC Crisis: Saraki Challenges Party Leadership On Senate Presidency by enyalove(f): 3:29pm On Jun 08, 2015
Ahead of the inauguration of the 8th Assembly, Ahmed Lawan, Senator representing ‎Yobe North on Saturday emerged the consensus candidate for the position of the Senate President of the All Progressive Congress (APC).

Lawan who belongs to the “Unity Forum” camp ‎emerged the senate presidential candidate after polling 32 votes out the 33 votes cast by the Senators present as 1 vote was declared invalid.
Senator George Akume, on the other hand emerged the Deputy Senate President candidate of the party with 31 votes.

The Bukola Sarki faction “Like Minds” which boycotted the meeting in a ‎statement signed by Dino Melaye explained; “regrettably, the Unity Forum insisted on open ballot voting which we discovered is different from the electoral process used to conduct the earlier election with the House of Representatives members elect.

“To us, this open ballot voting is primitive, undemocratic and against universal electoral norms and practise, “it said.

It insisted on the open secret voting process which according to them is in consonance with the provisions of the electoral act of the constitution of Nigeria and the universal electoral values.

“As responsible citizens of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and leaders in our own right, we have resolved and hereby state that we shall not be part ‎of a process that promotes undemocratic electoral process that may resort to rancorous and uncivil situations which inhibits the rights of individuals to vote for the candidate of their choice, as this process will further divide us than unite members of our party, “it said.

On his part, Lawan in his acceptance speech said, “I’m saddened by the absence of our colleagues at the other camp, this is not a victory for the Unity Forum, we need to bring together, every APC Senator-elect and those in the chamber”.

He said there is also the need to reach out to the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) senators ‎adding that the goal was to have a senate that is stable working on consensus building that will bring real change for Nigerians.

“We want to see a senate that will always be bipartisan in its approach and the task is ours in APC because this is our government.

“I want to assure Nigerians that as Chairman of the National Assembly If i become the senate president from Tuesday, will be a legislature that is for Nigerians, “he said.

Some of the APC senators-elect seen at venue included Remi Tinubu,‎ Rabiu Kwankwaso, Bukar Abba Ibrahim, Shehu Sani, Olusola Adeyeye and Kabir Garba Marafa amongst others.

Re: APC Crisis: Saraki Challenges Party Leadership On Senate Presidency by NAIRAADVERT: 3:30pm On Jun 08, 2015
hmmm saraki strong man
Re: APC Crisis: Saraki Challenges Party Leadership On Senate Presidency by madridguy(m): 3:31pm On Jun 08, 2015
NOTED
Re: APC Crisis: Saraki Challenges Party Leadership On Senate Presidency by PRYCE(m): 3:44pm On Jun 08, 2015
Sauce Nko?
Re: APC Crisis: Saraki Challenges Party Leadership On Senate Presidency by Bobbystanley(m): 4:03pm On Jun 08, 2015
Mr Fat Saraki

In oshiomole's voice.. Go and die#

(1) (Reply)

Tanbuwa Visit General Hospital By 2am. Laments On The Condition / $2.1b Allegations: Buhari’s NEC, Set Up To Tarnish My Image – Okonjo-iweala / Boko Haram Wants 16 Detained Leaders In Exchange For Chibok Girls – Negotiator

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.