Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,757 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:35 AM

Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married (914 Views)

Can A Physically Abused Woman In A Marriage Work Things Out With Her Husband ? / The Little Things That Determine The Success Of A Marriage. / What Is The Worst Thing That Can Happen To A Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married by ammamat(f): 3:12pm On Feb 19, 2009
Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married, lets here
Re: Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married by charminme(f): 4:12pm On Feb 19, 2009
Basically, some are gifted in counselling
Just that people really want to see it work for you before advising people
I can, but i will prefer a married councelor with happy home and experience
Re: Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married by harvey(m): 5:48pm On Feb 19, 2009
Babygirl, the only counsellor u need on marriage is the Bible. when decide to run ur marriage based on the Biblical standard, u need no counsellor.
Re: Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married by MrCrackles(m): 5:48pm On Feb 19, 2009
Yes, most likely! grin
Re: Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married by MrCrackles(m): 5:48pm On Feb 19, 2009
harvey:

Babygirl, the only counsellor u need on marriage is the Bible. when decide to run ur marriage based on the Biblical standard, u need no counsellor.

Bloody nonsense!
Re: Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married by Nobody: 5:51pm On Feb 19, 2009
Yes, I will.

A Counsellor, be it Marriage / Family, is a professional.
They don't have to be married.

DeltaVAGTM
Re: Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married by NaJaHaJe(f): 6:48pm On Feb 19, 2009
Siena:

A Counsellor, be it Marriage / Family, is a professional.
They don't have to be married.

Simple!  grin

And by the way . . . because someone is married doesn't mean that they have a PHD in it. When it comes to matters of the heart, academic competence can become fickle even in the most educated undecided
Re: Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married by cvibe: 6:49pm On Feb 19, 2009
Why not?
Re: Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married by Outstrip(f): 11:24pm On Feb 19, 2009
As far as I am concerned they absolutely have to be married. In fact I would prefer someone who is divorced to someone who has never married. As a married woman there is so much that I understand now that I simply would never have understood when I was just dating.

1 Like

Re: Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married by Magz(m): 11:33pm On Feb 19, 2009
Yes. I don't think that being married has much to do with being a good marriage counselor.

However though, I do not think that I'd ever need one,
Re: Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married by Nobody: 11:46pm On Feb 19, 2009
Outstrip:

As far as I am concerned they absolutely have to be married. In fact I would prefer someone who is divorced to someone who has never married. As a married woman there is so much that I understand now that I simply would never have understood when I was just dating.

Well, it's like saying a midwife has to have children, to be qualified.
Or a doctor has to have a vagina, to be a qualified gynecologist.

Experience gained from being married is quite different from a professional qualification.

DeltaVAGTM
Re: Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married by tope2000(f): 11:48pm On Feb 19, 2009
Being married is an advantage but not REALLY necessary undecided
Re: Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married by osisi2(f): 11:53pm On Feb 19, 2009
ammamat:

Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married, lets here

Will you have your appendix and gall bladder removed by a butcher?

afterall no be meat all of them dey handle?
Re: Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married by Outstrip(f): 11:58pm On Feb 19, 2009
**osisi:

Will you have your appendix and gall bladder removed by a butcher?

afterall no be meat all of them dey handle?

Chai Osisi you sure have a way with words. Let me stop laughing before my appendix falls out and I will need a butcher grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married by TOYOSI20(f): 12:39am On Feb 20, 2009
It makes absolutely no difference to me, what do i care whether or not the counsellor is married. . .like seriously?? undecided
Re: Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married by Pappyshoes(m): 1:36pm On Feb 20, 2009
Outstrip:

Na you get am jare! If you are not there yet, there is a little you can talk about it, let's face reality. cool

Have you forgotten : Experience remains the best teacher

Siena:

Well, it's like saying a midwife has to have children, to be qualified.
Or a doctor has to have a vagina, to be a qualified gynecologist.

DeltaVAGTM

Wrong comparison shocked we are talking about dealing with human behaviour, you are talking about
a task concerning part of the body. Get it Right pls.
Re: Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married by JustGood(m): 2:46pm On Feb 20, 2009
Siena:

Yes, I will.

A Counsellor, be it Marriage / Family, is a professional.[/b]They don't have to be married.
[b]DeltaVAGTM

Yes. A counsellor is mainly a professional person but I'd rather not be counselled by someone who does not know what exactly you're going through. Marriage is not like physical sickness. I'd rather take marriage counselling from experienced people who know what its about.

Besides, most marriages who are troubled end up in divorce as soon as they go for counselling. . .i'm not implying that counselling made them worse but they do end up in divorce and the counsellors help with divorce counselling. (speaking only for UK)
Re: Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married by honeric01(m): 3:01pm On Feb 20, 2009
Marriage is not Math that you can calculate, it has to do with human behaviours and Humans are very HARD to predict because you can't use A's character to Judge B's character, EVEN TWIN HAVE DIFFERENT CHARACTER. so having an unmarried counselor advising someone already married is really not OKAY for married couples.
HE WHO WEARS THE SHOES KNOW WHERE THE PAINS LIE.
Re: Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married by Nobody: 12:48am On Feb 21, 2009
Pappyshoes:

Wrong comparison shocked we are talking about dealing with human behaviour, you are talking about
a task concerning part of the body.  Get it Right pls.

I feel the comparison is valid.
If being married was an attribute to be a Marriage Counsellor, then no singles would be employed as Marriage Counsellors, and those that were married, if they got divorced or split-up, would be fired as a result.

A Bereavement Counsellor doesn't have to have experienced loss to be proficient in what he / she does. Yes, if they have experienced loss, it may make them appear closer to their clients, but generally, counsellors are impartial in their sessions, and don't usually draw upon their life experiences when dealing with clients.

DeltaVAGTM
Re: Will You Take Advice From A Marriage Councelor Who's Not Married by biina: 8:35pm On Mar 29, 2009
Being married, or not, is neither here nor there in evaluating a marriage counselor. I will liken it to age and maturity, or people and common sense - there is no evident correlation.

For the counselor, being married could be a plus in that he/she can better relate to the issues you are facing, and it could also be a negativity in coloring the counselors opinion, and/or resulting in him/her using personal marital experience as a yard stick.

In my opinion, the skills that make a good counselor are less of knowing the problem and/or having all the answers, but more of being able to listen objectively to either party and manage conflict resolution. The counselor shouldn't have all the answers, but should be a trusted mediating third party, that would help the couple come up with THEIR SOLUTIONS to THEIR PROBLEMS.

You could be single and be a great counselor. It should be judged on a case by case basis.

(1) (Reply)

Marital Loyalty / ''horror Film'' On The Highway At Night. / ‘nigerian Soldiers Fathered 250,000 Kids In Liberia’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.