Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,344 members, 7,819,213 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:50 PM

How To Setup And Start A Blog - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Setup And Start A Blog (19414 Views)

Total Cost In Creating A Blog / 20 Tangible Reasons Why You Need To Start A Blog / How To Setup A Custom Domain Name For Your Blogger Blog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by RobinHez(m): 6:57pm On Jun 09, 2015
DanWrites:

I once visited a blog. The first post was 'Place Your Ad Here'
shocked shocked shocked
Its so annoying...some would litter there whole blog with ads, even inbetween posts, so that u would even loose interest in the post. Chai!
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by snillok4u(m): 7:05pm On Jun 09, 2015
Nice write-up.

Wordpress is really nice I must say.

I hope you all know about www.naijagospel.org

See for ya self.
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by unilagconsult(m): 7:12pm On Jun 09, 2015
please i need a guide on how to create my personal blog....please i need someone help here.....thankx so much

1 Like

Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Aida13: 7:16pm On Jun 09, 2015
Thanks for the great tips, had to learn some on my own when I started blogging couple of months ago.

It's true you need to blog a out your passion. I enjoy watching Korean dramas and movies and suddenly chose to start a blog about it.

There are countless such blogs out there but I try to make mine unique as per naija levels now. We can't carry last ever abi grin

https://idreamedadrama.
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Talius(m): 7:20pm On Jun 09, 2015
its so nice to see like minded fellows all in the same room. Blogging should be done out of passion and not because everybody is doing it, I for one just opened a blog for the purpose of writing uplifting articles that is supposed to encourage people to be the best that they can be. You must have a reason for typing in the first place, if there is no reason then there's no purpose

1 Like

Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Slimmos(m): 7:21pm On Jun 09, 2015
pls hw can i set up a blog...pls someone should help. Dont know how to go about it, which website to log in to first. pls help. 08133184510. email. adewalep4@gmail.com
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by LadyX(f): 7:25pm On Jun 09, 2015
Great points op. Thanks for sharing.
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by kortrize(m): 7:27pm On Jun 09, 2015
Part of what you need for blogging is
A Wordpress installation
Theme (premium theme is recommended)
Backend Security
And good SEO
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Slimmos(m): 7:30pm On Jun 09, 2015
Aida13:
Thanks for the great tips, had to learn some on my own when I started blogging couple of months ago.

It's true you need to blog a out your passion. I enjoy watching Korean dramas and movies and suddenly chose to start a blog about it.

There are countless such blogs out there but I try to make mine unique as per naija levels now. We can't carry last ever abi grin

https://idreamedadrama.
baba, i love ur blog and i will b visiting regularly. Help ur boy, i want to start blogging on sport. I dont know how to start or go about it. would love u to give me some clips and tutoring.
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Aida13: 7:36pm On Jun 09, 2015
Slimmos:
baba, i love ur blog and i will b visiting regularly. Help ur boy, i want to start blogging on sport. I dont know how to start or go about it. would love u to give me some clips and tutoring.

OK but I'm a 'she'... Its easy but you first need some material. Have you written any posts yet? You can type them up on your phone or PC first. I blog from my phone sometimes.. Try and get the Android or Blackberry WordPress app first.

Everything is free remember. All I pay for are the images I use..
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by KingTom(m): 7:41pm On Jun 09, 2015
McEwen:
Kingtom,wey my blog wey i pay for? angry
I still dey build the site, just wait small grin
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by eROCK247(m): 7:42pm On Jun 09, 2015
RobinHez:
Ehm...I run a science blog based on blogger @ http://edscienceblog..com .I only have 54 subscribers in total (feeds+email) and only 4 of them are Nigerians, and its not fair, I mean we can gossip all day on other blogs, but to spend a minute to actually view and comment on a science blog is wahala...no wonder we're not plenty in Nigeria @science blog writers.

Now before 12am Tomorrow morning, I want to see at least 50 Nigerians subscribed to my mail feed and I want to see 30 comments on the over 21 articles on that blog, else, I'll climb a Tree and won't come down again till my demand is met. Try me! angry

Am also begging o...Nigerians, embrace science! Subscribe today and get informed. cool

Nigerians are more interested in celebrity life than academics. For the average Nigerian, blogging=gossips. At least foreigners know ur blog's worth, take solace in that fact.

OP loving ur writeup, big ups! Pls post more info on this topic. Thanks again.
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by MEILYN(m): 7:44pm On Jun 09, 2015
I am actually writing a proposal. I want to partner with interested people. In no time we could be making huge money from this partnership.

I am Samson Idoko by name,
I live in Lagos Nigeria.
Email: samsonidoko3@gmail.com
Tel: 2347033377498.

News Blog Business.

The business I have is one that so many people have gone into, many have failed and few have been successful. The ones that have failed are those that refused to work hard to achieve their aims, the successful ones are those with sound minds and determination. I am going to leave you with this quote from one of my mentors. "The price of success is hard work, dedication to the job at hand, and the determination that whether we win or lose, we have applied the best of our selves to the task at hand. Vince Lombardi. Without determination we won't know our true potentials. I am not here to scam anyone. I will only work with those who are ready to meet with me one on one for discussions on how to kick start this very lucrative business. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value. Albert Einstein.

This business requires thousands of Naira to set up. We could make millions together if you could raise the funds while I do the work and make returns monthly. Another mentor of mine ones said, "Coming together is a beginning; keeping together is progress, working together is success" Henry Ford.

Please read carefully the below business proposal I have for you and see how much we could make in a short period of time.

Introduction

There are millions of websites on the Internet but if you pay attention you will find out that only few stand out. Anybody could own and manage a website but not everyone can make a website successful and profitable. Before I go into details, I will like to explain what a news blog is about.

A news blog is an online information Centre. This platform makes it easy for Internet users to get the latest information at the tip of their fingers. Examples of News websites are: Lindaikeji..com, Naij.com, Ynaija.com, Pulse.ng etc.

I am not through with the proposal.
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by FarmTech(m): 7:55pm On Jun 09, 2015
I have both a blog and a forum. If u need a site, be prepare for writing and promoting. It's not easy oo. My forum: farmersjoint.com. My blog: farmersjoint.com/blog. To succeed, at least a knowledge of html and css is very important. You can learn them at w3.org.
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jun 09, 2015
That's Good.. You can check on my tech blog [url]techmedia.com.ng[/url]
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by theplushist: 8:14pm On Jun 09, 2015
Please guys visit and review my site

www.theplushist.com

The target audience is young women. Thanks
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Frankicent(m): 8:28pm On Jun 09, 2015
Niyi61202:
There’s five main steps you need to go through in order to set up a blog. If you follow this guide and the five steps, you’ll have your own blog set up in no time.

The Five Steps to Starting a Blog:

Decide what you want to blog about
Choose your preferred blogging platform
Choose whether you want to self-host and a paid domain, or get a free blog
Setting up a blog on your own domain (if you choose self-hosting and a custom domain)
Designing your blog

Decide what you want to blog about

If you’re going to write about something regularly and keep your blog fresh with new information, then you need to write about something that you are really passionate about or that reflects your daily experience. It’s much easier to write articles and posts about topics that you’re passionate about, on the other hand it makes no sense to start a blog about something you have no interest in.

It’s better when you blog about something of interest in a specific field or an industry you ave been a part of for a long time, because you are already an expert. However, if you don’t have any idea which topic or niche you want to write about, think about your hobbies or just start blogging about your daily activities, memorable moments or simply about everything. You can also think about how you want to help people and the valuable information and experience you can share with them via your blog.

Take a look at other blogs on your topic to see what other people are already doing. Ask yourself what you have to offer that is different from what other people are already doing. Identifying your niche will distinguish your blog from your competitors.
Choose your preferred blogging platform

Choosing where you want to build your blog is very important to the success of your blog. I want to assume you’ve heard of WordPress, and this is the platform I advocate. It’s the biggest blogging platforms in the world, with countless plugins and add-ons and almost infinite ways to design and layout your blog. Most of the blogs on the internet are built using the WordPress blogging platform. Approximately 22% of websites around the world use WordPress. That’s over 75 million blogs or websites! WordPress is both free and priceless at the same time.
Choose whether you want to self-host, or get a free blog

This is one of the biggest decision you’ll have to make wen setting up your blog. You need to decide whether to pay for your blog hosting or grab a free blog from WordPress. getting a free blog may seem attractive for those who aren’t super serious about blogging because of its downsides:

You are not able to get your OWN domain – Instead, you will get a sub-domain. If you decide to start a free blog on (for example), then it would look like this http://oluwafemiadeniyi.

You DON’T OWN your blog – silly as it may sound, you don’t actually own your blog. It’s hosted on someone else’s web property and they can delete it if they want so. They have done so in the past, and keep doing it in the future(Remember Linda Ikeji blog was deleted by Google in 2014 before it was later restored). Which means all your hard work on your blog, all those countless hours of writing blog posts might be vanished within seconds.

A self-hosted blog on your own domain (yourblog.com) is by far the better option. It gives you full control over your blog and you’ll look more professional. It’s also a great choice for people who want to blog long-term, share their knowledge, become a blogger and earn some money from it.

Setting up a blog on your own domain (if you choose self-hosting and a custom domain)

I’m moving forward with the believe you’ve chosen WordPress, and if you haven’t, you should because it’s the best. If you decided to go with a self-hosted blog on your own domain, you have made a smart choice. Finding a great domain name can take a while, but it’s worth it. I suggest you pick something brandable and easy to remember.

WHERE CAN I GET A DOMAIN NAME AND BLOG HOSTING?

I recommend you get a domain and hosting from the same place, that way you’ll save some money and time. In the past few years while I have been creating and managing blogs, I have discovered that there are very few reliable hosting companies.

One of the most reliable one is Siteground hosting

You have two options to install your blog to your own domain:

A) With “One-Click-Installation” using Siteground (You can get a domain from there as well).
B) Manually.

The One-Click-Installation is better for beginners or those who are trying to set up their first blog. If you are internet/computer savvy then have a look at the manual tutorial. Either way, you’ll get your blog online very quickly.
Designing your blog

Design of your blog is very important as the better looking your site is, the more memorable it will be for your visitors. The open-source community behind WordPress has created a large number of themes that are great looking and mobile responsive out of the box. Free themes are a good place to start for any blogger. I recommend that you go into your new WordPress admin, go into “Appearance” on the left-hand side navigation menu and click “Themes”. I usually choose something that looks professional and pretty easy to customise. WordPress also has this awesome feature that allows you to change themes with just a few clicks. So if you start getting tired of your current blog template, you can just switch to another one without losing any precious content or images.

This article was fist published on
http://bluegeek.com.ng/how-to-setup-and-start-a-blog/

For Beginner’s who want to master blogging. please read this

Effective Blogging Tips For Beginner’s
http://geeklogic.net/effective-blogging-tips-for-beginners-2/
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by RobinHez(m): 8:32pm On Jun 09, 2015
grin grin grin
KingTom:
I still dey build the site, just wait small grin
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by MORNDEW(m): 8:41pm On Jun 09, 2015
Enjoy enlightenning articles @ www.enlightennigeria.blogsot.com am having problems moving my contents from my former wordpress site to this one. Any help abt dis will be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by simdam500(m): 8:46pm On Jun 09, 2015
Ok a blog and a fb page... which is cool, which is friendly and easy to subscribe to... I need more info about fb page
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by trem321: 8:58pm On Jun 09, 2015
Jarizod:
For starters y'al can use blogger.com
Thank me lehra smiley

i used it but i discover that post your comment section is not working . that is to say that visitors are unable to express their opinions after using my blog. pls how do i correct this

1 Like

Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by DanWrites(m): 9:01pm On Jun 09, 2015
trem321:

i used it but i discover that post your comment section is not working . that is to say that visitors are unable to express their opinions after using my blog. pls how do i correct this
Use other browsers except Opera mini.

1 Like

Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jun 09, 2015
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by trem321: 9:09pm On Jun 09, 2015
DanWrites:

Use other browsers except Opera mini.
i dont understand. is the inability of people to post their comments a result of browser they are using to access the internet or do you mean that it happened because of the browser i used when i was openning the blog
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by uduokirika1(m): 9:11pm On Jun 09, 2015
educative
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by DanWrites(m): 9:14pm On Jun 09, 2015
trem321:

i dont understand. is the inability of people to post their comments a result of browser they are using to access the internet or do you mean that it happened because of the browser i used when i was openning the blog
The 'Post Comment' malfunction happens on Opera-mini. Users using other html-based browsers should be able to post comment.
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by vickers95(m): 9:16pm On Jun 09, 2015
y'all check out my blog www.herovickers.
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Slimmos(m): 9:28pm On Jun 09, 2015
Aida13:

OK but I'm a 'she'... Its easy but you first need some material. Have you written any posts yet? You can type them up on your phone or PC first. I blog from my phone sometimes.. Try and get the Android or Blackberry WordPress app first.

Everything is free remember. All I pay for are the images I use..
thanks, u are a darling.

2 Likes

Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by okwudiliemma: 9:39pm On Jun 09, 2015
How much is involved?
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by poik(m): 10:10pm On Jun 09, 2015
Please review mine ogbonnasview..com
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by Julius2214(m): 10:18pm On Jun 09, 2015
mezebel:
I need to start blog of my own. Can someone help me?
I can help u design a beautiful blog. Free hosted () or self hosted (WordPress). Your choice
Re: How To Setup And Start A Blog by akaglue(f): 10:24pm On Jun 09, 2015
I run a thrifty blog. kindly review. www.akaglue.com

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Free Proxy And Hide Ip - Ninja Cloak / Is Learning Web Design A Waste Of My Time? / Ask Any Question On Blogging, SEO, Web & Social Media - OnlineMercenaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.