Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:27 AM

51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President (10782 Views)

Tinubu: I Won’t Recognise Saraki As Senate President, Unless... - Today.ng / Akpabio, Orji Lead PDP Senators-elect To Pro Saraki Meeting, APC Rattled! / 13 Incumbent And Former Governors Emerge Senators-elect In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by Nobody: 11:31am On Jun 09, 2015
Bukola Saraki (APC-Kwara Central) elected
unopposed as President of 8th Senate by 57
of 108 Senators, with 51 Senators, including
Sen. Ahmed Lawan, absent.

leadership.ng/news/439451/51-senators-including-senator-ahmed-lawan-absent-as-57-senators-elect-saraki-as-president-of-8th-senate

Lalasticlala, ishilove
Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by Nobody: 11:32am On Jun 09, 2015
Super interesting, grabs popcorn

1 Like

Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by obailala(m): 11:34am On Jun 09, 2015
Nigeria sef!

Now that explains why Saraki was blabbing his oath so fast before the remaining senators would arrive grin

7 Likes

Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by Ezenwammadu(m): 11:36am On Jun 09, 2015
Democracy is fun.They formed the required forum and won

4 Likes

Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by tayebest(m): 11:37am On Jun 09, 2015
Obiagelli:
Super interesting, grabs popcorn
*Finger crossed* its really interesting grin watching in my 3D glasses! cool
Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by Nobody: 11:37am On Jun 09, 2015
Saraki and his group smartly went ahead with proceedings before the others arrived
Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by Pangea: 11:38am On Jun 09, 2015
Obiagelli:
Saraki and his group smartly went ahead with proceedings before the others arrived

Na coup be dat na
Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by Ezenwammadu(m): 11:40am On Jun 09, 2015
obailala:
Nigeria sef!

Now that explains why Saraki was blabbing his oath so fast before the remaining senators would arrive grin
Even if the remaining 51 returns.Saraki will still win with simple majority

5 Likes

Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by Nobody: 11:40am On Jun 09, 2015
Pangea:

Na coup be dat na
Lawyers are probably preparing papers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by stevolinkon40: 11:40am On Jun 09, 2015
Obiagelli:
the required number met or not?

1 Like

Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by kheart(m): 11:41am On Jun 09, 2015
Book
Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by enm(m): 11:43am On Jun 09, 2015
Lawan loss. He play the game wrong, he should have been there, canvass for vote among the pdp senators and slug it out with saraki. A quorum was form and to remove that guy will required 2/3 or a clear cut majority which apc don't have and which i don see apc getting unless pdp member decamp or some fall out of reckoning in the scheme of things under saraki.

But what was apc thinking calling there members for meeting when an inauguration is to take place. Don't they have constitutional legal advisers to advice them?

2 Likes

Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by sheymoni(m): 11:43am On Jun 09, 2015
with the high level of absentees, i hope we won't see court cases and more drama much later? Ndume nomination is to avoid the impression that saraki group and pdp had made a deal. clearly saraki's tenure wont bean easy one
Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by Nobody: 11:44am On Jun 09, 2015
All that matters is that the MAJORITY won. Lawan and co saw the sign that Saraki will defeat them, hence, their boycott
Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by Nobody: 11:44am On Jun 09, 2015
The 51 Senators were holding a meeting with president buhari at the ICC when Saraki and co outsmart them. The funniest part is that there were some pdp chieftains at the ICC with buhari
Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by horlabiyi(m): 11:44am On Jun 09, 2015
57 is greater than 51 so nothing can be done even if they were present. Congratulations to Senator Bukola Saraki the great son of the Titan of Ilorin the Kwara state capital

5 Likes

Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by 9jatriot(m): 11:45am On Jun 09, 2015
stevolinkon40:
Am not sure it did o, this calls for interesting times. 2/3 of 108 is 72.

Watching this drama in 3D.

1 Like

Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by Nobody: 11:46am On Jun 09, 2015
enm:
Lawan loss. He play the game wrong, he should have been there, canvass for vote among the pdp senators and slug it out with saraki. A quorum was form and to remove that guy will required 2/3 which i don see apc getting unless pdp member decamp or some fall out of reckoning in the scheme of things under saraki.

But what was apc thinking calling there members for meeting when an inauguration is to take place. Don't they have constitutional legal advisers to advice them?
Buhari called a meeting with all APC senators, Saraki and co went to the Senate instead
Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by Nobody: 11:46am On Jun 09, 2015
G
Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by NgeneUkwenu(f): 11:46am On Jun 09, 2015
57 present, The Senate need 73 for quorum to be formed. Constitutional crisis ahead.

Saraki Cannot Survive This! Mark it!

2 Likes

Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by StOla: 11:46am On Jun 09, 2015
Now the power fight has begun in APC.

PDP politics is still a flourishing disease.

Saraki has shown his hand early, he will be put in a well deserved place soon.

1 Like

Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by MaziOmenuko: 11:46am On Jun 09, 2015
I thought the president was to declare the 8th senate open? Or is the declaration a mere formality? Is it a legally-binding act?
Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by 9jatriot(m): 11:47am On Jun 09, 2015
Obiagelli:
The 51 Senators were holding a meeting with president buhari at the ICC when Saraki and co outsmart them. The funniest part is that there were some pdp chieftains at the ICC with buhari

I have been wondering how he got into the position unopposed. In that case, there will be court litigation. Saraki may become the first victim of the anti corruption crusade. 2/3 required to form a quorum is 72 not 59. Interesting times ahead.

1 Like

Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by NgeneUkwenu(f): 11:48am On Jun 09, 2015
Obiagelli:

Buhari called a meeting with all APC senators, Saraki and co went to the Senate instead

4 Things Will Happen Here If the illegality stands:

1. APC will Suspend Saraki

2. Some PDP senators will shift ground!

3. Bukola Saraki Will Be Impeached.

4. EFFC will do their job!

3 Likes

Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by bjdon: 11:48am On Jun 09, 2015
I dey laugh O!!

When people like Saraki were given GEJ headache and forming nPDP, ACP were cheering them to the rooftops. Let the lesson of this be clear, once a traitor, always a traitor!!

4 Likes

Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by 9jatriot(m): 11:49am On Jun 09, 2015
MaziOmenuko:
I thought the president was to declare the 8th senate open? Or is the declaration a mere formality? Is it a legally-binding act?

The whole matter tire me, that was what I thought too. I have been confused all morning with the headlines coming out. Saraki should know that he is no longer in PDP, the nation wants things do properly and morally in this dispensation. He will outsmart himself, he will be made a scapegoat in the anti corruption crusade, in short he just made EFCC's job easier on him
Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by Nobody: 11:49am On Jun 09, 2015
Obiagelli:

seriously? angry
Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by ziccoit: 11:49am On Jun 09, 2015
How is he going to preside over a divided house? He has an edge after striking deal with PDP to produce deputy so why the rush. Saraki is my man but he is a traitor and possibly a mole in APC.

Disgusting.

2 Likes

Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by Nobody: 11:49am On Jun 09, 2015
stevolinkon40:
That's why i used the word smart. On the first day? Morally wrong, this nonsense does not speak well about us, i your children did this, i am sure you will caution them
Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by tayebest(m): 11:50am On Jun 09, 2015
[s]
horlabiyi:
57 is greater than 51 so nothing can be done even if they were present. Congratulations to Senator Bukola Saraki the great son of the Titan of Ilorin the Kwara state capital
[/s] there are still people who voted for Lawan among the 57, imagine those added to the 51 absentee senetors?? The drama is just interesting! grin

1 Like

Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by NgeneUkwenu(f): 11:50am On Jun 09, 2015
9jatriot:

I have been wondering how he got into the position unopposed. In that case, there will be court litigation. Saraki may become the first victim of the anti corruption crusade. 2/3 required to form a quorum is 72 not 59. Interesting times ahead.

Imagine him picking A PDP Senator as his deputy to spite his APC!

This man's ambition will be his highest undoing!
Re: 51 Senators Absent As 57 Senators Elect Saraki As President by 9jatriot(m): 11:50am On Jun 09, 2015
bjdon:
I dey laugh O!!

When people like Saraki were given GEJ headache and forming nPDP, ACP were cheering them to the rooftops. Let the lesson of this be clear, once a traitor, always a traitor!!

Ah, this is a criminal act, he should go and join the party known for such actions, the present Nigeria we are trying to build will not have such things.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

2019: How Blind People Will Vote During Elections - INEC Reveals / Nigerian Militants Challenge Boko Haram ! For Real / “FG Requires N2trn To Complete Ongoing Road Projects –fashola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.