Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,408 members, 7,812,206 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:03 AM

Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly (1141 Views)

'I'm Childless! But, My Landlady Is Pregnant For My Husband!' / Should I Eject My Lesbian Cousin From My House? / Landlady Diging ground at Midnight (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly by skymobilemedia: 9:16am On Jun 10, 2015
I don't know if this is the appropriate section to do this but I need help fast.
Let me start my story from the beginning

I started worshiping at an RCCG church in 2011, not long after I became the P.A to the Pastor in charge of the Area and the Youth president. About a year after that(last year July), there was an opening for rentage of a mini flat in the compound of the mother of my pastor which I quickly applied for and got while shelling out 200k(150k rentage, 50k agreement and commision) which was paid directly to the Landlady.

About January this year, I resigned my position as the PA of the pastor and that's when my troubles began. The pastor summarily removed me as the head of the youth department and started trying to frustrate me out of the church. This got me angry so much coupled with the fact that he witheld my salary for December just for resigning. But in all of these, I did not utter a word.

Now, the height of it is that, on March 19 2015, I came home and my landlady gave a quit notice which was backdated to December 30th to lapse on June 30th so as to conform with the tenancy law of Lagos.

My question is that, is there way I can fight this. I didn't want to do anything before because everybody I've talked to is telling to just pack out quietly because these people can be diabolical. But looking at the situation of things now, I can't go back to my parent's place again

Is it not too late to do something legally. Are there ways I can fight this evil woman so that she doesn't do that to another person?.

Somebody, Please help
Re: Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly by demmy0325(m): 9:20am On Jun 10, 2015
..in spite of all this... Thot redeemed pastors r well-cultured n mannered...

Hmm.. U are prolly valuable to dem.. That why Ur exit is hurtin dem...

I tink u shud Jst leave.. Am sure U dnt wana live in a house where U wont av peace of mind.....
Re: Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly by jaybee3(m): 9:20am On Jun 10, 2015
What exactly do you want to fight bro?

Your tenancy is coming to an end in July and they have served you notice albeit backdated.

Do you want to live rent free for some months since they have every right not to renew your agreement having given you notice
Re: Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly by skymobilemedia: 9:25am On Jun 10, 2015
Don't I deserve a right to my 6months notce to quit? It is my fundamental human right as a citizen of Lagos and I think I have a right to demand it

2 Likes

Re: Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly by Edwardhead(m): 9:26am On Jun 10, 2015
Get a loquacious lawyer...

Dont be afraid of the court, it is your final hope.

your only + is that the day you received the letter

but the problem is that... as annual tenant or whatsoever, if your rent is due and you're still in that house, you have no right to enjoy "six month notice to quit" you can only enjoy the quote if you don't owe shishi
Re: Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly by stinggy(m): 9:29am On Jun 10, 2015
skymobilemedia:
Don't I deserve a right to my 6months notce to quit? It is my fundamental human right as a citizen of Lagos and I think I have a right to demand it
Sorry is that the law in Lagos?
6 months after your tenancy expires? Sounds cool.

If that's the law then I think you can seek redress on why it was back-dated to December in a Rent court.
Re: Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly by Nobody: 9:29am On Jun 10, 2015
You can fight it.
Buy boxing gloves.
Re: Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly by skymobilemedia: 9:41am On Jun 10, 2015
One part of the tenancy law states that, the owner of a house can only evict a tenant is he/she is owing a backlog of 1year rent. But in this case she is trying to evict me saying that my continous stay in that house is harmful to the health and life of her son. Very flimsy and not legally possible. The most annoying part is that, I just saw an agent near my window 2weeks ago showing a woman my house which I've not packed out ooo saying "na d house be this, the owners go soon pack ou, u see as e fine". Very Annoying.

1 Like

Re: Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly by skymobilemedia: 9:42am On Jun 10, 2015
Does the office of the public defender fight cases like this?
Re: Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly by Holatunde007(m): 9:43am On Jun 10, 2015
@Op young man am Estate student with experience this my advice for you.
1st get rid of any form of fear when u hear anytin court, cos u ain't a criminal, its just a mere civil proceedings.
2nd the copy given to you hope you didn't signed it? And there must a copy with them that u signed on collection of the back dated quit notice, if by any chance they don't have a signed copy signed by you with them, then they will surely loose out in court, and I sense if an Estate manager was the 1 that serves you that letter, its nothing but another form of treat used this days by Estate agent, such proof can't stand in court of law, they surely ask them the signed copy of ur quit notice, I personally I've served different people quit notice letter, and make sure we printed two copies one for the lessee (Tenant) and other for the lessor (landlord) which must both must be signed by the tenant and the landlord. So once ur signature is not on both then you are entitled to 6month freedom, they also get punished for back dating such a letter.
My advice for you is that u should call them now that you are ready to meet at court, as uve can't acknowledge the quit letter notice for the stipulated date.
Re: Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly by skymobilemedia: 9:46am On Jun 10, 2015
Holatunde007:
@Op young man am Estate student with experience this my advice for you.
1st get rid of any form of fear when u hear anytin court, cos u ain't a criminal, its just a mere civil proceedings.
2nd the copy given to you hope you didn't signed it? And there must a copy with them that u signed on collection of the back dated quit notice, if by any chance they don't have a signed copy signed by you with them, then they will surely loose out in court, and I sense if an Estate manager was the 1 that serves you that letter, its nothing but another form of treat used this days by Estate agent, such proof can't stand in court of law, they surely ask them the signed copy of ur quit notice, I personally I've served different people quit notice letter, and make sure we printed two copies one for the lessee (Tenant) and other for the lessor (landlord) which must both must be signed by the tenant and the landlord. So once ur signature is not on both then you are entitled to 6month freedom, they also get punished for back dating such a letter.
My advice for you is that u should call them now that you are ready to meet at court, as uve can't acknowledge the quit letter notice for the stipulated date.

Thanks. I quite appreciate that
Re: Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly by bellong: 9:54am On Jun 10, 2015
You have the legal right to be given 6 months advance in notice.

Did you sign a letter of agreement to the notice?

You will not be taken to court, they will get a kangaroo injunction against you. That is how it is done in Lagos. The case will be done without your knowledge and they will get eviction judgement from "jankara"

To forestall this, if you have a lawyer friend, tell him to help you file a case against your landlady and give her a notice to meet in court. Apply for injunction to stay action against your eviction. This case can last till Jesus come. She will be the one to beg you and settle out of court.

However, always learn to pick your battle. If you are up for it, show them that not everybody can be cheated.

I am surprised the pastor son is in support of this.

Why did you resign?
Re: Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly by Nobody: 10:43am On Jun 10, 2015
In my own case, I rejected the backdated letter angry

Approach a lawyer for advise, no fear smiley
Re: Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly by Nobody: 10:45am On Jun 10, 2015
Listen, do you really want to live in such a hostile environment?. If it was a case in which the landlord doesn't live in the compound it would be cool. Don't you think it will be stressful living in an environment that you are not wanted.

If I were you, I would start making arrangements to move out. Tell the landlady you will leave after 6 months after the quit notice was served and not before. Get another place. Peace of mind is worth more than money.

3 Likes

Re: Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly by austine4real(m): 8:26pm On Jun 10, 2015
If u nid an apartment 2bedroom it's @iwaya no3 moshalasi dia stll a vacancy dats all i can do 4 u nw
Re: Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jun 10, 2015
fem29:
Listen, do you really want to live in such a hostile environment?. If it was a case in which the landlord doesn't live in the compound it would be cool. Don't you think it will be stressful living in an environment that you are not wanted.

If I were you, I would start making arrangements to move out. Tell the landlady you will leave after 6 months after the quit notice was served and not before. Get another place. Peace of mind is worth more than money.

@op,go with this advise, dem fit harm u for that house, so watch ur back wella, cool
Re: Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly by mrsmith11(m): 8:45pm On Jun 10, 2015
My friend if you can pack out of the house when your rent expire then please do as far she is not ejecting you while your rent still counts.

People asking you to seek legal redress will not be there when the wahala start and even if you win her in court and decide to stay six month free in her house so you think she will be happy?

People are desperate and wicked. What about you win in court and something happens to you thereafter?

Moral of the lesson;
Do not challenge/drag with people for there property

My 10 cent

1 Like

Re: Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly by pragmatistm(m): 9:09pm On Jun 10, 2015
fem29:

Best advice so far. Work on it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help!!!!!!!!! My Landlady Wants To Eject Me Unjustly by tiger28: 3:33am On Jun 11, 2015
U can easily fight it because it wasn't supposed to be backdated. I went thru the same thing. Get my lawyer or any affordable lawyer. 08062611248 his name is mavi

(1) (Reply)

Please Friends Kindly Help My Only Sister She Needs To Do Kidney Transplant / My Story My Regret Pt2. / Children Who Look Like Old Age Pensioner (OAP) Before Their Second Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.