Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,193 members, 7,818,636 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:22 PM

Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm - Agriculture (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm (107129 Views)

Photos Of My Snail Farm In Edo State / The A-Z Of Snail Farming In Nigeria (what Nobody Will Tell You For Free!) / Snail Farm Begins - The Birth Of A Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by kemioo77(f): 4:28pm On Aug 11, 2016
Neduzze5, I started mine few days ago and I really want u to add me Whatapp group (08060376839) and also what calcium supplements can u recommend I buy in the market. Also where can buy limestone in market and what is the Yoruba name for limestone?
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by MrStrategy(m): 3:36pm On Aug 12, 2016
Please add me - 08034954566 - to the group.
I just started my own snail nursery, looking at scaling very fast.
Thanks for this awesome tread.

Please how can I get calcium?
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Brinxs(m): 11:48pm On Aug 14, 2016
please add me to the group...I have built my pen...I need breeders. thanks 08113201132 and 08068819554
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by pitchez: 10:25pm On Aug 15, 2016
Discount sales on our natural and well formulated SNAIL feed!!!

-Guaranteed healthy and speedy growth
-Strong shell formation
-Promotes egg production.

10kg- #1,950
25Kg - #4,350
50kg - #8,150

Alpho Ventures (WA) Ltd.,
Dollar Pool House, Lemomu Street, Off Salvation Army Road, Ekotedo, Ibadan, Oyo State.

Whatsapp/Call: +2348032804500

Discount sales valid till 30th August, 2016.

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by jp130(m): 4:05pm On Aug 17, 2016
Add me to d WhatsApp grp,08065314915. I hop its ok to sieve finisher feed n giv dem to reduce d salt content?
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by CopyLearner: 6:34pm On Aug 17, 2016
Add me too. 08127156359
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by bravoalpha(m): 2:00pm On Aug 30, 2016
Add me to the group too please, 08169610881. But I have a question to ask, I usually come across the white type snails. Is there anything wrong in breeding/eating the white type snails?
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by mamud3: 10:28pm On Aug 30, 2016
+2348067619772
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by princelynx: 6:53pm On Sep 02, 2016
If you're interested in joining the telegram group meant for discussing issues relating to Turkey breeding and marketing. Feel free to send a telegram message to 08055678830, to be added or you use this link https:///joinchat/DPhZakGCpQ3BVan6C9623g. You will be glad u did. If you don't have telegram, go to google play store and download it . Thanks.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Kirusky4life(f): 4:35pm On Sep 14, 2016
hhh
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by heezey(m): 6:27am On Oct 01, 2016
Are you interested in Snail farming?
Click here to discover the success secret of snail farmers that no one talks about: Snail farming In Nigeria: Exposing the hidden secrets
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by topekole(f): 4:28pm On Oct 02, 2016
omo17:

I av to be honest with u, don't expect this snail u hand pick to grow any bigger, I want to belif u pick dem up from the Bush, u have change there natural habitat, although dey will definitely mature but not in size, am talking from experience. in fact i still av some i picked last week again. The only hope for bigger snail is the one coming from there hatched egg, i want to bilif dey av started laying eggs, those one will definitely grow in size because this is the environment they were brought up. even with dat, dey can only attain the normal size u c around d Bush because there breed is different from d agric type u see being rear by farmers. Those snails u find in the Bush are different from the one being reared purposely for commercial purposes. D Bush type when they attain full size will always be small compare to the agric type. hp u get wat am saying. U can't rear d one u hand pick nd expect to make huge profit compare to d agric type, am using d phrase "agric type because I don't knw the name for the breeds, but definitely i knw wat am saying. in essence, wat am saying is dat if u want to practice commercial snail farming (purposely for selling) forget abt those hand picked nd go for gud breed. They are just different.

With regards to changing soil, do not change soil. those eggs won't hatch dat way. Leave d soil

Yes my brother you are right about what you said I've actually heard about it and the snail is called hybrid, what I was advised to do is to purchase some hybrid snail and mixed it with those I picked from the BushBush in ratio 5:20, 5 hybrid to 20 bush snails, those hybrid will pass their trails to those from the Bush.
I have been waiting for anyone to mention this on this forum, thanks for bringing it up bro.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by sharperino(m): 10:05am On Oct 06, 2016
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Nobody: 5:19pm On Oct 24, 2016
Please can someone tell me what limestone is called in the market? Trying to get some for my snails.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by akzamani(m): 6:43pm On Oct 25, 2016
Pls can some1 put me through on how to handle the eggs in my pen..I saw some eggs buried..was confused if I should separate the eggs or not...ur reply will be very helpful for me..#snailsFarmers pls help a brother

Thanks
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 6:37am On Oct 26, 2016
Realchick:
Please can someone tell me what limestone is called in the market? Trying to get some for my snails.

I think it's called "nzu" in Igbo

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Neduzze5(m): 6:38am On Oct 26, 2016
akzamani:
Pls can some1 put me through on how to handle the eggs in my pen..I saw some eggs buried..was confused if I should separate the eggs or not...ur reply will be very helpful for me..#snailsFarmers pls help a brother

Thanks

Since it's buried, you might not need to unearth them from the ground, except you are not sure of how escape-proof your cage is for the smaller ones.

2 Likes

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Nobody: 7:50pm On Oct 28, 2016
Neduzze5:

I think it's called "nzu" in Igbo
Oh really? Ok. Thanks so much.
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by akzamani(m): 9:47am On Oct 29, 2016
Thanks Neduzze..
Pls theyhv stopped laying since then..is it because I. Changed the soil? Cos the soil is too muddy or because of weather condition?..
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by akzamani(m): 9:53am On Oct 29, 2016
Perhaps, my greatest challenge in this farming is laying and hatching.. Or should I change there feeds?
Will be glad if you can give a comprehensive report on Laying and how to take of eggs till they hatch.. I think hv done all the needful to make the environment comfortable for them...

#helpMysnialscheesy

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by divalindiway(f): 7:08pm On Oct 29, 2016
I have been following thus thread from the very first day last year,though In was just reading and observing.But now I think am ready for the business. I am based in Kano but am an Igbo girl. I want to know if I can rare this animal here cos the weather here is quite dry. I know where to get loamy soil and the rest but my major concern is the weather. How do I handle this challenge?

Secondly the year is already wrapping up I will like to know the best time of the year to start rearing,must it be during rainy season?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Nobody: 9:12am On Nov 01, 2016
divalindiway:
I have been following thus thread from the very first day last year,though In was just reading and observing.But now I think am ready for the business. I am based in Kano but am an Igbo girl. I want to know if I can rare this animal here cos the weather here is quite dry. I know where to get loamy soil and the rest but my major concern is the weather. How do I handle this challenge?

Secondly the year is already wrapping up I will like to know the best time of the year to start rearing,must it be during rainy season?

I understand your problem and I think you can easily solve that by locating your pen under a shade of tree and constantly keep the soil damp by sprinkling water on it more often. Especially when the sun is hottest.

I stand to be corrected but I think you should have a kind of pen that's lowly built and that has enough ventilation (cross ventilation too).

You can place a foam soaked with water on various locations of the pen so that when your snails are dehydrated, they could get moisture from it.

Goodluck.

3 Likes

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Nobody: 9:28am On Nov 01, 2016
akzamani:
Perhaps, my greatest challenge in this farming is laying and hatching.. Or should I change there feeds?
Will be glad if you can give a comprehensive report on Laying and how to take of eggs till they hatch.. I think hv done all the needful to make the environment comfortable for them...

#helpMysnialscheesy

I was having the same problem with my big snails and I think there are several things I wasn't doing right.

First I added some loamy clayey soil to their normal soil. I discovered that they love to play around this and lay eggs on it. It was peculiar to see them molding the soil into small clay chunks. I don't know what benefit it gives snails but I know that as soon as I added that soil, they started laying eggs like mad.

Feed them on a balance diet of veggies, carbohydrates, protein and most importantly, calcium.

Keep their pen and the soil moist at all times and I assure you, your snails will strive.

I usually do this every week. I allow them roam around in a enclosed space for a period of time before taking them back into their pen. They love it! But then my snails are not much and I assume this will be difficult for some people to do.

I usually feed mine twice a day and I make sure to separate the big ones from the small ones but sometimes, they find their way into each others pen and that can give me lots of head ache since I will then start to sort them out again.

P. S. Do not move their eggs! I did that to my first batch and for almost two months now, they haven't hatched.

I hope my advice helps. Goodluck.

3 Likes

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by phillings247: 9:47am On Nov 01, 2016
pls.how many snails can i conveniently raise on a full plot of land
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by phillings247: 9:49am On Nov 01, 2016
how many snails can be raised on a full plot of land
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Arifabconcept82: 8:01pm On Nov 01, 2016
Neduzze5:

Yes, that was how I started. If you have bad tyres around you, you can make use of them
how am I going to used tyre? Am I going to put sand and water together? Thanks
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by Arifabconcept82: 8:02pm On Nov 01, 2016
Neduzze5:

Yes, that was how I started. If you have bad tyres around you, you can make use of them
how am I going to used tyre? Am I going to put sand and water together? And how many snail per tyre? Thanks
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by didisky(m): 5:00pm On Nov 02, 2016
Pls can someone tell me how to build my pen ?
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by akzamani(m): 10:21pm On Nov 03, 2016
@realchick thanks for the writeup....thumbup
cheesy

1 Like

Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by akzamani(m): 10:21pm On Nov 03, 2016
@realchick thanks for the writeup....thumbup
cheesy
Re: Beginning A Small Scale Snail Farm by shiftmarket(m): 10:43am On Nov 04, 2016
Good job all contributors. I stumbled on a fact that they eat grounded beans over the weekend (i mean the ones used for moi moi or akara). How did I discover, madam wanted to make moi moi but for one reason or the other after grinding the beans could not make it. If you know beans very well, if you don't attend to them, they get sour and begin to smell. Rather than throw it away I decided to give them a little, came back a few minutes later and it was gone, I wasn't sure if I put it again, I decided to put more just to be sure i was not hallucinating because the speed was too much, same thing happened again.
Now since i was denied my moi moi, my snails enjoyed a part of it pending when they repay the favor.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

General Market/food Price ( weekly Update ) / How Do I Start Snail Rearing? / Maize Farming Startup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.