Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,399 members, 7,836,606 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:28 AM

Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? (1768 Views)

Were The Yorubas Right To Have Voted Buhari? / I Don't Understand How Anyone Could Have Voted For Buhari / Amaechi Or Jang: Whom Would You Have Voted For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by Ndipe(m): 12:44am On Sep 18, 2006
The trial of O. J. Simpson in the USA was one of the most sensational trials that made a mockery of the judicial system. It showcased the power of privilege and money and the never ending divide between blacks and whites in the USA. Acquited for killing his ex-wife, Nicole and her friend, Mr. Goldman, his freedom was marked by public outcry from majority of whites and cheers of applause by majority of blacks. To majority of blacks, O.J's acquital was a consolation for the past injustices meted to them by the judicial system While the media capitalized on the trial for their ratings bonanza and more than a few sycophants using the trial to spearhead their career with talkshows, book deals, the question remains, Is he guilty of homicide or was it a set up?

Hiring Johnnie Cochran as his lead defense, the trial lawyer from Los Angeles was able to sway the jurors to spare his life. Cochran was able to convice the jurors that the gloves that did not fit the suspect, disgraced Mark Furhman at the stand with tapes of him uttering the infamous N, word despite his earlier denials. Blood tampering at the crime scene was another accusation, the DNA of the suspect, whether it was found at the crime scene or not was irrelevant at the moment. At the end of the trial, a beaming O. J. Simpson walked out of the court as a free man.

At work, my co-worker told me that the defense did a good job in securing O.J's release, despite her conviction that O.J. was guilty. She told me that she would have voted for his acquital, because the prosecutors could not present compelling evidences that could have implicated O.J.Simpson. This was even contrary to her earlier claims that she knew that O. J. Simpson was guilty. So, I asked her, "If you then know that this man is guilty, why would you acquit him, and she replied, "Well, the defense did a good job, so I will go with the testimony of whichever side presented a compelling proof". I refused to side with her, and told her that no matter how good a defense attorney may be, justice must always trump injustice in the society.

Would you all agree with me? How would you have voted if you were a juror on O. J. Simpson's trial?
Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by Jakumo(m): 5:54pm On Sep 21, 2006
OJ was a reported wife beater and drunk, so he was no role model for good marital conduct, BUT I am to this day convinced that OJ did NOT kill his wife Nicole. A more likely motive for her killing would be the intense hatred most whites had for OJ on account of his marriage to a blonde trophy wife. Someone killed Nicole Simpson to frame OJ and send a message out to white women that successful black men are dangerous and unpredictable regardless of how rich they may be.

I would have voted to acquit OJ on all counts.

1 Like

Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by Ndipe(m): 10:10pm On Sep 22, 2006
Is it really true that blood samples found at the crime scene were those of OJ? Yeah, his defense attorneys insisted that the blood was tampered, but I am quite clueless as to how that works
Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by Jakumo(m): 6:35am On Sep 24, 2006
Ndipe, as you may recall, much of the evidence collection at the Nicole Simpson murder scene was handled by a self-avowed racist LAPD cop, Mark Fruman, who would have stopped at nothing to see a rich black man jailed for the "offense" of marrying a beautiful white woman, thus the prosecution's entire case was on shaky ground from the start.

Nonetheless, rednecks would still rejoice at the final outcome of the case because OJ lost his home and most of his present and future wealth in a civil case filed by Nicole's family after OJ was acquitted of criminal conduct, and of course he will continue to be reviled and insulted wherever he walks in the Western World.
Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by dominique(f): 10:32am On Sep 24, 2006
I dont bliv he is innocent. If he is, then why did he engage the police in a high speed pursuit? I was preety young when it happened, so i could be wrong. What helped his case was the racist statements made by the cop.
Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by buchio7(m): 5:53pm On Sep 25, 2006
I would have voted for his black ass to be fed-exed to sing-sing. The guy killed his wife n d lover , period. why was he running frm d cops if he was innocent? unfortunately a lot of sentiments was brought into d whole affair making it impossible for a conviction
Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by goodguy(m): 8:49pm On Nov 18, 2006
What do you guys think about his new book? Do you guys think he's now indirectly admitting his guilt?
Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by BigB11(m): 10:55pm On Nov 18, 2006
OJ OJ OJ, what a dumb ass.

As much as I used to admire him, he is a true definition of an ass.

Why the book? Why? For what?

OJ, you need to move on with your life and stay away from any negative attention.

You need to hag out with Michael Jackson and learn how is done.

The book will definitely bring him down.

Note to OJ: OJ, please for the sake of the children, shut up.
Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by Drusilla(f): 4:31am On Nov 19, 2006
Make your money, O.J. You and the kids got to eat.

O.J. did it.

I would have voted to acquit.
Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by Jakumo(m): 10:44am On Nov 19, 2006
Methinks the meticulously detailed "hypothetical" murder confession by OJ for that $1.8 book will one day backfire in his face.  One can understand his need for cash, what with all the endorsements and jobs dried up in the wake of the trail, but HOT DAMN, this idea has got to be the most ill-advised the man has ever made. 

Drusilla you caught my attention with your assertion that despite your certainty that OJ was GUILTY, you would still have voted to acquit. Since I would have voted to acquit based on my belief at the time that he was innocent,  I am very intrigued as to why you feel that a murderer ought to walk in any circumstance.  Can this have anything to do with the color of the victims ?  Do you really hate the likes of Nicole that much for snapping up another rich black man in marriage to the extent that his blonde Barbie Doll wife deserved to die for depriving black sistas of another BIG CATCH.  Say it ain't so sister, please, I know you ain't that mean.
Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by Ndipe(m): 10:58am On Nov 19, 2006
Jakumo, that was also the same question that I asked a fellow coworker. She is latino, and she told me if she had served as juror, she would have acquitted O.J. Simpson, despite overwhelming evidence that he did it. (that was her remark). But then it doesnt make sense at all, to pronounce a guilty person innocent, irrespective of the deceit their lawyers displayed in attempting to shift public opinion from the accused. Whatever happened to justice? What if a KKK, after committing murder, with proofs that he did it, got away with it, because his lawyers were able to sweet talk the jurors that their client was innocent? Pathetic!!!
Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by Drusilla(f): 11:27am On Nov 19, 2006
Ndipe,

Here is the reason. I think he did it and would still vote to acquit.

Most rich men get away with murder, because just like O.J's spectacular good lawyers, they can provide reasonable doubt.

The only reason to change the record of rich men getting off the hook after using spectacularily good lawyers, would be because O.J. was Black.

For instance in Minnesota, the owner of Lunds, very rich, shot his wife in front of his kids. The police did not even dare go to his house to question him, he sent his lawyer downtown with 400,000 thousand dollars bond. He killed himself shortly thereafter.

The point being, if O.J. had been white and rich, the police would not even have put him through that show of chasing him down the street.

There in lies the racism.

O.J. was not treated like the other well known cases of richmen murdering their wives in America.

O.J. actually did a year in jail, that no other richman has ever done awaiting trial.

Therein lies the racism.

O.J. had good lawyers. As richmen often do.

You don't really believe the guy with the Public Defender and the guy with the dream team are really getting the same treatment, do you?

Heck, Robert Blake, another richman was investigated and not charged with PUBLICLY shooting his wife and being found with the murder weapon for like 3 years and again, acquited by damn good lawyers when they finally picked him up.

The police did not give O.J. the normal deference they have given other rich men, because he was Black.

Therein lies the racism.

Missing blood. Detectives who have now written books about beating blacks so bloody all you can see is handprints of the blacks trying to claw their way out of the room. No witness's. And the damn glove did not fit.

I vote to acquit based on the rules of the court: a reasonable doubt is possible.
Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by Sijien(m): 5:18pm On Nov 19, 2006
d man dog im wife. if say na me na im i for do. y she go bring anoda man enter my house? if i was in that jury sha i woud have freed him.
Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by Jakumo(m): 5:21pm On Nov 19, 2006
Hey Sijen, brother man, speak enlglish or at least write readable pidgin english. I haven't the foggiest idea what you just meant to say.
Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by Sijien(m): 5:24pm On Nov 19, 2006
the man killed his wife. but if i was the one in his shoe i would have done d same thing so if i was on the jury i would have freed him.

i hate to dey yarn grammer. y una no dey like yarn broken?
Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by Jakumo(m): 7:14pm On Nov 19, 2006
Sijen you know say no be everybody sabi nak broken like we.   Na him cause wey me I  been dey speak correct grammar when everybody go fit hear. 

Make you no go vex kill ya wife if you catch am for wrong place o.  Better you divorce am than to forget yaself go do something wey go let dem carry you gbudu-gbudu throway put for Kiri-kiri.  Toto dey plenty outsde if you wan upgrade because you don catch another man wey dey take style chook ya woman.  Na my own advice be that o.  Khaki no be leather, and Nigeria prison no be joke o.
Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by Ndipe(m): 10:47pm On Nov 19, 2006
Sijen, ignorance is never bliss. Nicole and O.J. Simpson were divorced, prior to her brutal murder in 1994. Get that straightened out. As a matter of fact, even when after they were divorced, O.J Simpson was harrasing his ex-wife. He stalked her, according to a 9-11 tape that was released with the voice of an anguished Nicole on the line.
Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by Sista(f): 10:51pm On Nov 19, 2006
Although O.J is undoubtedly a fool, that does not make him a killer. O.J was an Athlete with no priors in any types of crimes accept wife beating, which I am sure was only a few slaps here and there, A wife beater does not make you a killer. He beat her ass because she was a lazy white woman who had been taking him for granted the whole time they were together. O.J didn't see nothing wrong with slapping her every now and then to entertain her need for masochism. O.J may have hit his wife a few times but he didn't really have a motive for killing her.
Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by Jakumo(m): 3:14pm On Nov 20, 2006
Sista I concur that wife beating does not make one a murderer, but it sure does break my heart to hear you, a woman, condoning wife beating under ANY pretext including consensual sado-masochism. That sort of domestic violence is FOUL and it really is amazing to hear a woman voicing support for such barbarity.

Any man who raises a hand to his wife is a despicable coward who needs to be handed down some hard slammer time to think over his evil ways.
Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by Sista(f): 7:51pm On Nov 20, 2006
@Jakumo

Sista I concur that wife beating does not make one a murderer, but it sure does break my heart to hear you, a woman, condoning wife beating under ANY pretext including consensual sado-masochism.

I don't condone wife beating and sado-masochism, you mis understood me. What a married couple decides to do in the name of enjoyment is their business. I was only eluding that O.J and his wife had carried on the beating stuff for a long time and every one knew that. Everyone also knew how he not only took her away from waiting tables at a cheap restaurant but he also fully supported her family. As long as Nicole's family was getting paid, they didn't care about the little sex games and ocasional wife beatings Nicole played with O.J. All I am saying is, after Nicole was killed, the fights that she and O.J had now became a bases for alleging him to be her killer and I think it is unfair. Just because I think what happen to him us unfair that does not mean I condone his beating her but again, that was between he and she.

That sort of domestic violence is FOUL and it really is amazing to hear a woman voicing support for such barbarity.

I guess you are reiterating your self. Again, I don't condone anything because I have no power to do so. What Nicole and O.J did was their own business but it became public. As long as O.J was putting his money out to Nicole and her family, all he did was just fine.

Point being, It really does not matter what you or I feel is barbaric.

Any man who raises a hand to his wife is a despicable coward who needs to be handed down some hard slammer time to think over his evil ways.

I agree, any man who hits a woman is a coward but when you are getting high from snorting coke all day, being a coward never comes to your mind because you are to busy living in the moment.
Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by Jakumo(m): 12:47pm On Nov 21, 2006
Alright, thats cool Sista. I understand your point now. Another one you brought up which really stands out now is that Nicole's family is all about scrambling for that easy money.

First they were on OJ's payroll while the going was good, and now they want to become overnight millionaires by cashing in on the death of their daughter with a so far failed civil lawsuit. I sure hope they never get a dime, and they probably won't, now that Rupert Murdoch has withdrawn the publication of the new OJ book. That trailer-trash clan of free-loaders will probably have better luck if they get off their lazy fat asses and go seek jobs flipping burgers at Mcdonalds.
Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by Sista(f): 7:32pm On Nov 21, 2006
@Jakumo

I am glad you understand me now.
Re: Jury Duty On O.J Simpson, How Would You have voted? by ThiefOfHearts(f): 10:37pm On Dec 07, 2006
Guilty as sin

He pretty much caused a high speed chase and the fact that he now wants to write a book saying "If I Did It", wtf?

Doesnt matter though, whether blacks in denial wanna believe he didnt do it cos they consider him to be a "brother" doenst change the fact that he will forever be stained. If anything I just pity the children

(1) (Reply)

The Nigerian Press Are Complete Disgrace To The Nation / The Concealed And Gospel Truth About The Jos North Lg Election Crises / Hausa-fulani’s Burden Of Leadership

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.