Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,895 members, 7,817,634 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:57 PM

Earthing Materials: What You Should Know - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Earthing Materials: What You Should Know (3520 Views)

12 Basic Things You Should Know About The Omoniles Before Buying Land From Them / Things You Should Know Before Buying That Casement Windows / Aluminium or Stone coated Tiles? Things you should know before you roof ur house (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Earthing Materials: What You Should Know by kingdenny(m): 10:40pm On Jun 10, 2015
This isnt just a write up on long theory about earthing material. We all know the importance of eathing material in the construction of a building, ok a quick summary for the newbie in this area, as a child growing up, i remember whenever it was raining cats and dogs with thunder and lightening we were under strict order to always turn off every electronics as it could get damaged by mother nature furious rage, in my latter years i learnt that the house was not earthed angry. in a more technical terms it is providing an alternative path for fault current to flow so that everyone and everything is safe cool so what is this write up all about?
This is just a little ride to take you into the behind the scene of earthing material in our todays market. Earthing material consist of, earth rod, copper tape,Thunder arrestor, copper nails, copper clips, tape joints, copper mats, earth clamps. Copper is a good conductor of current, the best in town. so we assume that most of the earthing materials should be 100% copper, but a cat is not always a cat in a country like ours. So lets take a dive at what is obtainable in our markets.
For convenience sake i will categorize them into grade 1, grade 2 and grade 3.
Grade 1; these are 100% copper, when u cut these to bits, you get pure copper inside and outside, these are usually the best used in earthing material as they perform the job which it was designed for.
Grade 2; these are 50% copper and 50% iron, the best word to describe these is, "copper coated with iron inside" why on planet earth would someone come up with such as a product , that is an act of "deception" they do not serve the purpose for which it was intended for.
Grade 3 : these should not be in the market in the first place, This is just iron painted with copper. OMG, some one needs to call the cops
let us take a look at the prices of each of this grade for a 14mm 4 ft earth rod.
grade 1= 4500 grade 2 =2800 grade 3= 500
This is where one needs to be totally careful, imagine asking a dodgy electrician to provide u with grade 1, you give him money for grade 1 and he supplies you with grade 3 at the cost of grade 1?
The use of Magnet can sometimes used to differentiate a 100% copper from a mixture of copper and iron, as copper do not attract magnet while a mixture of magnet and iron will attract but one needs to be careful in using this method as a determing factor, as a copper painted one might also not attract magnet. Visual inspection also works but you need some bits of experience to tell the difference by this technique
i will end this by saying, sometimes the wise pretends to be a fool so that the fool can think he has become wise and smart. i rest my case wink
Are you looking for 100% copper earthing materials for your building ?

(1) (Reply)

Auction Sales Of Waste Compactor Daf 2300 Truck.2 Pics / Exquisite Flats For Rent At Iba Estate, Lagos with pics / Bungalow With 2unit Of Standard 2bedroom Flat With C of O in AKOKA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.