Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,926 members, 7,817,711 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

Diabetes,a Dread! - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Diabetes,a Dread! (2965 Views)

"Warning" Diabetes A Killer...how Do Deal With It Finally. / Natural Supplement To Reverse Diabetes / Why Do Some Adults Dread Taking Drugs During Illness? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Diabetes,a Dread! by tohpahz(f): 7:15pm On Jun 11, 2015
Diabetes
Definition.: a metabolic disorder of protein carbonhydrate and fat resulting from inadequate insulin production ,low insulin or resistance to insulin characterized by polyuria ,polydypsia ,polyphagia and glycosuria(excessive urination, excessive thirst, excessive eating /hunger and glucose in the urine )

To understand diabetes, first you must understand how glucose is normally processed in the body.

How insulin works

Insulin is a hormone that comes from a gland situated behind and below the stomach (pancreas).

The pancreas secretes insulin into the bloodstream.
The insulin circulates, enabling sugar to enter your cells.
Insulin lowers the amount of sugar in your bloodstream.
As your blood sugar level drops, so does the secretion of insulin from your pancreas.

THE ROLE OF GLUCOSE

Glucose — a sugar — is a source of energy for the cells that make up muscles and other tissues.

Glucose comes from two major sources: food and your liver.
Sugar is absorbed into the bloodstream, where it enters cells with the help of insulin.
Your liver stores and makes glucose.
When your glucose levels are low, such as when you haven't eaten in a while, the liver breaks down stored glycogen into glucose to keep your glucose level within a normal range.

TYPES OF DIABETES

Type 1
Type 2
Gestational
Others.

Type 1:
is a form of diabetes mellitus that results from the autoimmune destruction of the insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas. The subsequent lack of insulin leads to increased blood and urine glucose. The classical symptoms are polyuria (frequent urination), polydipsia (increased thirst), polyphagia (increased hunger) and weight loss.

Administration of insulin is essential for survival. Insulin therapy must be continued indefinitely and does not usually impair normal daily activities. People are usually trained to manage their diabetes independently; however, for some this can be challenging.

Type 2 : is a metabolic disorder that is characterized by hyperglycemia (high blood sugar) in the context of insulin resistance and relative lack of insulin. This is in contrast to diabetes mellitus type 1, in which there is an absolute lack of insulin due to breakdown of islet cells in the pancreas. The classic symptoms are excess thirst, frequent urination, and constant hunger. Type 2 diabetes makes up about 90% of cases of diabetes,obesity is a primary cause.

Type 2 diabetes is initially managed by increasing exercise and dietary changes. If blood sugar levels are not adequately lowered by these measures, medications such as metformin or insulin may be needed. In those on insulin, there is typically the requirement to routinely check blood sugar levels.

Gestational diabetes: is a condition in which women without previously diagnosed diabetes exhibit high blood glucose (blood sugar) levels during pregnancy (especially during their third trimester). Gestational diabetes is caused when insulin receptors do not function properly. This is likely due to pregnancy-related factors such as the presence of human placental lactogen that interferes with susceptible insulin receptors. This in turn causes inappropriately elevated blood sugar levels.

Most women are able to manage their blood glucose levels with a modified diet and the introduction of moderate exercise, but some require antidiabetic drugs, including insulin.

Other types
Prediabetes indicates a condition that occurs when a person's blood glucose levels are higher than normal but not high enough for a diagnosis of type 2 DM. Many people destined to develop type 2 DM spend many years in a state of prediabetes.

Latent autoimmune diabetes of adults (LADA) is a condition in which type 1 DM develops in adults. Adults with LADA are frequently initially misdiagnosed as having type 2 DM, based on age rather than etiology.

Some cases of diabetes are caused by the body's tissue receptors not responding to insulin (even when insulin levels are normal, which is what separates it from type 2 diabetes); this form is very uncommon.

PREVENTION
There is no known preventive measure for type 1 diabetes.
Type 2 diabetes can often be prevented by a person being a normal body weight, physical exercise, and following a healthful diet.

Dietary changes known to be effective in helping to prevent diabetes include a diet rich in whole grains and fiber, and choosing good fats, such as polyunsaturated fats found in nuts, vegetable oils, and fish.
Limiting sugary beverages and eating less red meat and other sources of saturated fat can also help in the prevention of diabetes.
Active smoking is also associated with an increased risk of diabetes, so smoking cessation can be an important preventive measure as well.

COMPLICATIONS OF DIABETES

Long-term complications of diabetes develop gradually. The longer you have diabetes — and the less controlled your blood sugar — the higher the risk of complications. Eventually, diabetes complications may be disabling or even life-threatening. Possible complications include:

Cardiovascular disease.: Diabetes dramatically increases the risk of various cardiovascular problems, including coronary artery disease with chest pain (angina), heart attack, stroke and narrowing of arteries (atherosclerosis). If you have diabetes, you are more likely to have heart disease or stroke.

Nerve damage (neuropathy): Excess sugar can injure the walls of the tiny blood vessels (capillaries) that nourish your nerves, especially in your legs. This can cause tingling, numbness, burning or pain that usually begins at the tips of the toes or fingers and gradually spreads upward. Left untreated, you could lose all sense of feeling in the affected limbs. Damage to the nerves related to digestion can cause problems with nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or constipation. For men, it may lead to erectile dysfunction.

Kidney damage (nephropathy). The kidneys contain millions of tiny blood vessel clusters (glomeruli) that filter waste from your blood. Diabetes can damage this delicate filtering system. Severe damage can lead to kidney failure or irreversible end-stage kidney disease, which may require dialysis or a kidney transplant.

Eye damage (retinopathy). Diabetes can damage the blood vessels of the retina (diabetic retinopathy), potentially leading to blindness. Diabetes also increases the risk of other serious vision conditions, such as cataracts and glaucoma.

Foot damage. Nerve damage in the feet or poor blood flow to the feet increases the risk of various foot complications. Left untreated, cuts and blisters can develop serious infections, which often heal poorly. These infections may ultimately require toe, foot or leg amputation.

Skin conditions. Diabetes may leave you more susceptible to skin problems, including bacterial and fungal infections.

Hearing impairment. Hearing problems are more common in people with diabetes.

Alzheimer's disease. Type 2 diabetes may increase the risk of Alzheimer's disease. The poorer your blood sugar control, the greater the risk appears to be. Although there are theories as to how these disorders might be connected, none has yet been proved.

Complications of gestational diabetes

Most women who have gestational diabetes deliver healthy babies. However, untreated or uncontrolled blood sugar levels can cause problems for you and your baby.

Complications in your baby can occur as a result of gestational diabetes, including:

Excess growth. Extra glucose can cross the placenta, which triggers your baby's pancreas to make extra insulin. This can cause your baby to grow too large (macrosomia). Very large babies are more likely to require a C-section birth.

Low blood sugar. Sometimes babies of mothers with gestational diabetes develop low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) shortly after birth because their own insulin production is high. Prompt feedings and sometimes an intravenous glucose solution can return the baby's blood sugar level to normal.

Type 2 diabetes later in life. Babies of mothers who have gestational diabetes have a higher risk of developing obesity and type 2 diabetes later in life.
Death. Untreated gestational diabetes can result in a baby's death either before or shortly after birth.

Complications in the mother can also occur as a result of gestational diabetes, including:

Preeclampsia.This condition is characterized by high blood pressure, excess protein in the urine, and swelling in the legs and feet. Preeclampsia can lead to serious or even life-threatening complications for both mother and baby.

Subsequent gestational diabetes. Once you've had gestational diabetes in one pregnancy, you're more likely to have it again with the next pregnancy. You're also more likely to develop diabetes — typically type 2 diabetes...

Final complication: Death!!!!

Source:My brain smiley

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetes/basics/causes/con-20033091

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetes_mellitus

Prevention is Better than Cure!

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by timpaker(m): 7:29pm On Jun 11, 2015
Eye damage?

Damn! But I love glucose. embarassed

Okay. What of honey?

Since honey contains bits of sugar (and I use it as a substitute for sweetener) does it also lead to one bn diabetic? (i.e. Excessive intake of honey)
Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by psucc(m): 7:57pm On Jun 11, 2015
God will not allow the sickness to ravage us without giving a cure. Take these nature's benevolence. Bitter leaf, bitter kola, will do the magic.
Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by Tval(m): 10:13pm On Jun 11, 2015
I was once a nurse cool
Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by forandy(m): 11:37pm On Jun 11, 2015
Nursee la sharp wink  
Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by Nobody: 9:09am On Jun 12, 2015
Meet me at the HQ for chilled origin and fried frog grin

1 Like

Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by Nobody: 9:44am On Jun 12, 2015
timpaker:
Eye damage?

Damn! But I love glucose. embarassed

Okay. What of honey?

Since honey contains bits of sugar (and I use it as a substitute for sweetener) does it also lead to one bn diabetic? (i.e. Excessive intake of honey)

of course:- honey contains sugar, specifically fructose. though it doesn't raise blood sugar as much as dextrose (glucose) & sucrose (glucose and fructose) do.

nice thread tohpahz ✘

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by tohpahz(f): 10:28am On Jun 12, 2015
Darkrebel666:

of course:- honey contains sugar, specifically fructose. though it doesn't raise blood sugar as much as dextrose (glucose) & sucrose (glucose and fructose) do.

nice thread tohpahz ✘

Yeahh.. thanks.. smiley

Timpaker here's ur ansa.

1 Like

Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by tohpahz(f): 1:28pm On Jun 12, 2015
Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by knowhowk: 2:24pm On Jun 12, 2015
Good Detox, eating Garcinia Kola (Orogbo, bitter Kola is highly required its contain saponin, it Helps removes Sugary things from the body, enhances the Pancreas's Abilities to produce insulin for the convertion of food to energy thereby reducing much Urine. The skin of Lemon is good too when boiled. Good Informations. For Counseling, Education, an effective potent and natural Approach to Infertility and staphylococcus AUREUS call 08100459321.
Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by juman(m): 8:12pm On Jun 12, 2015
Diabetes is a dreadry disease that one has to be careful not to have.

Hmmm. God is wonderful. Living things organs and all cells are been created and taken care by God.

One man has lungs, kidneys, liver, heart, brain, and other millions or billions of living cells that need the attention of God in every seconds.

1 Like

Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by Nobody: 10:39am On Jun 13, 2015
tohpahz teach me how to use a glucometer?
Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by dharay99: 10:50am On Jun 13, 2015
hmmm,
How i go take read ds one n0w.

cry cry
Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by IYIMAN: 9:56pm On Jun 15, 2015
Nice piece, keep it up

1 Like

Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by tohpahz(f): 7:44am On Jun 16, 2015
dharay99:
hmmm,
How i go take read ds one n0w.

cry cry

Lol.. ogah.. try read am na..

E go hlp u. wink
Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by dharay99: 9:22am On Jun 16, 2015
tohpahz:

Lol.. ogah.. try read am na..

E go hlp u. wink
i wish I could joor.
Daaaaamn too long...aah
Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by nikkyshyne(f): 7:09am On Jun 28, 2015
Op, it will be nice if you advice us on the food/fruits to be taken to prevent high sugar intake or reduce sugar level in the body.
Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by redfigure(m): 9:47am On Jun 28, 2015
nikkyshyne:
Op, it will be nice if you advice us on the food/fruits to be taken to prevent high sugar intake or reduce sugar level in the body.
That's the bad part, there's no specific food to eat, just avoid taking much sugar. Use Jedi once in a while. Also avoid fatty foods like beef, butter, round about lol, pork, turkey wing etc (end of thinking capacity). Eat lungs, liver, heart, chicken breast, fish (not point and kill oh, contains much fat). Just eat a balanced diet to avoid complications in the system, Diabetes can cause kidney disease, high blood pressure, liver disease.

1 Like

Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by nikkyshyne(f): 10:10am On Jun 28, 2015
redfigure:

That's the bad part, there's no specific food to eat, just avoid taking much sugar. Use Jedi once in a while. Also avoid fatty foods like beef, butter, round about lol, pork, turkey wing etc (end of thinking capacity). Eat lungs, liver, heart, chicken breast, fish (not point and kill oh, contains much fat). Just eat a balanced diet to avoid complications in the system, Diabetes can cause kidney disease, high blood pressure, liver disease.
Thanks a bunch
Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by moneytreeteam: 5:45pm On Jul 14, 2015
Tval:
I was once a nurse cool

And now, you are no more a nurse?
Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by moneytreeteam: 5:46pm On Jul 14, 2015
Prevention is always better than cure...

We have 20 Million Nigerians who are Diabetic! Based on the African diet, diabetes is predicted to become an epidemic in a few more years. The cost of management is high, the drugs are not curative.

Loetue still remains the Best preventive invention for Diabetics. Every home needs it.

Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by Tval(m): 5:51pm On Jul 14, 2015
moneytreeteam:

And now, you are no more a nurse?
I was once a nursing science student, but now, i am no more.
Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by tohpahz(f): 9:22am On Jul 21, 2015
Tval:
I was once a nursing science student, but now, i am no more.

Y?
Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by tohpahz(f): 9:22am On Jul 21, 2015
cowleg:
tohpahz teach me how to use a glucometer?

Na for here i wan teach am?
Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by Tval(m): 9:50am On Jul 21, 2015
[sup][/sup]
tohpahz:

Y?
I changed school. My current has Nursing Science but not in English Language.
Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by tohpahz(f): 10:05am On Jul 21, 2015
Tval:
[sup][/sup] I changed school. My current has Nursing Science but not in English Language.

Ohhhh..Which school is dat please?
Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by Nobody: 10:11am On Jul 21, 2015
tohpahz:

Ohhhh..Which school is dat please?
Thanks.
Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by tohpahz(f): 10:16am On Jul 21, 2015
Canopus:
This is Tval. I am taking this down after you must have read it due to personal reason.

Okay den.. no problem.. goodluck.. smiley
Re: Diabetes,a Dread! by Nobody: 10:18am On Jul 21, 2015
tohpahz:

Okay den.. no problem.. goodluck.. smiley
Thanks cool

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Fighting Chronic Infections (staph, Ecoli, H.pylori, STD, STI, Typhoid, Etc.) / Help! Help! A Friend Need Ur Advice / Govt bans 17 drugs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.