Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:32 AM

Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. (936 Views)

Abubakar Mahmoud Is New NBA President / We Never Supported Saraki's Emergence As Senate President:pdp Senators / Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. by PhockPhockMan: 4:43am On Jun 12, 2015

The President of the Nigerian Bar Association, Mr. Augustine Alegeh (SAN), has said the emergence of Senator Bukola Saraki as the Senate President is not illegal.

About 51 senators of the All Progressives Congress had, on Wednesday, threatened to go to court to challenge Saraki’s emergence.

However, Alegeh told our correspondent during a telephone interview on Thursday that Saraki’s emergence as Senate President was a moral issue and not a legal one.

An APC senator, Barnabas Gemade, had said that the 57 senators that were present when the election for the Senate President took place were not enough to pick a new leadership of the Senate.

However, Alegeh said the 57 senators that were in the chamber when the election of Saraki took place were enough to form a quorum. He explained that having formed a quorum, the decision taken at the time was binding on the Senate.

He said, “Inaugurating the National Assembly is considered as an ordinary business and for an ordinary business, the requirement of a quorum is one-third. So, legally, there was a quorum. You can argue from a moral perspective but legally, it is in order.”

He said, “The general election was held in March/April and we are in June. There was enough time for the party to meet with the lawmakers and agree on all these issues. Why wait till the last minute?

“We must understand that if a time had been fixed for the inauguration, one would expect that all those who want to be inaugurated, given the importance of that event, should have arrived on time. The Clerk of the National Assembly, who is in charge of determining such, said there was a quorum. It will be difficult for me to fault that.

“We must understand that the National Assembly belongs to the entire country and parties from both sides are members of the Assembly. So, for a meeting of one of the parties to lead to the closure of the Assembly would be unfair.”

“There is a need to have respect for institutions. If the Senate was having an inauguration, other people should respect that fact and schedule meetings appropriately. The day for the inauguration of the House is a very important day in a democracy.”

The senior advocate said the incident showed that the National Assembly was becoming increasingly independent.

He said the fact that Saraki emerged Senate President against the wishes of his party did not imply that Saraki would fail.

He said, “The APC were very active in aiding Aminu Tambuwal to become Speaker in 2011 even though the PDP wanted somebody else. And if you look at the performance of Tambuwal, you will find it admirable to a large extent. He was not impeached and there were hardly any threats of impeachment. He had a handle of the House even though he was not the favoured candidate of the party.

“The lesson to learn is that the legislature is becoming increasingly independent of the party and the executive.”

The NBA president said now that elections were over, the National Assembly needed to be more united in order to deliver the change Nigerians demand.

He commended President Muhammadu Buhari for not interfering in the affairs of the legislature. He urged the APC to quickly resolve its internal conflict so as not to make the same mistakes that the PDP did.

He said, “The issue that led to some APC members joining the PDP should not be quickly forgotten.”

http://www.punchng.com/politics/sarakis-emergence-not-illegal-nba-president/

1 Like

Re: Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. by INTROVERT(f): 4:45am On Jun 12, 2015
Many within the APC are unhappy with his emergence. He should be extra careful of banana peels because there will be many.

1 Like

Re: Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. by rawtouch: 4:48am On Jun 12, 2015
Toh

1 Like

Re: Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. by oluwafemi113(m): 5:05am On Jun 12, 2015
Following

Meanwhile time well tells
Re: Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. by anilove84(f): 5:25am On Jun 12, 2015
Passing
Re: Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. by Legitbaba(m): 5:35am On Jun 12, 2015
it was never illegal
Re: Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. by alawi5k: 6:06am On Jun 12, 2015
Waiting for Falana.. lipsrsealed
Re: Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. by Upnepaa(m): 6:08am On Jun 12, 2015
cool
Re: Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. by Nobody: 6:12am On Jun 12, 2015
The 'aggrieved party leaders' should accept this fact for the good of the country. God bless Nigeria.

Please check my signature too. Thanks.
Re: Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. by PRYCE(m): 6:14am On Jun 12, 2015
APC are obviously on a wild goose chase!
Re: Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. by ComradeAbu(m): 6:18am On Jun 12, 2015
Oooh yeah! It wasn't illegal but was full of betrayal and hypocrisy. But we were happy because PMB stick to his words.
My advice to Saraki is that, he should not put his personal interests as utmost to national interest. He should not oppose PMB because that only will provoke me personally.
Best of luck to him.
Re: Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. by amanze15(m): 6:20am On Jun 12, 2015
Yes sir we know
Re: Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. by Nobody: 6:20am On Jun 12, 2015
alawi5k:
Waiting for Falana.. lipsrsealed

Which Falana?? Tinubu's puppet, he wouldn't talk
Re: Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. by Nobody: 6:27am On Jun 12, 2015
My own is when is Saraki revisiting this issue of kai kai ban?

Several people in riverine areas are likely not to survive that oo. grin
Re: Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. by omenka(m): 6:40am On Jun 12, 2015
It is the NBA president's word against Robert Clerk's. See them in court.
Re: Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. by Firefire(m): 6:45am On Jun 12, 2015
Interesting moment ahead for Nigerians, Saraki or no Saraki, why is Buhari still unable to name his cabinet members ?
Re: Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. by Chiefpriest1(m): 6:48am On Jun 12, 2015
There's a world of difference between morality and legality.

Was his action morally right? No

Was it legally correct? Yes

Let's move on. There's no time to waste. Problem too plenty for Nigeria. Time to work
Re: Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. by jorlons(m): 6:50am On Jun 12, 2015
Saraki should watch his back cause I know the plot to sink him politically is underway. It's sad he went to play against a political genius in the person of Tinubu. It's not just Tinubu, other party members will be looking forward to bring him down.
Re: Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. by Tolexander: 6:54am On Jun 12, 2015
It was a game, the winner takes it all!

"The Winner Takes It All"

I don't wanna talk
About things we've gone through
Though it's hurting me
Now it's history
I've played all my cards
And that's what you've done too
Nothing more to say
No more ace to play
The winner takes it all
The loser's standing small
Beside the victory
That's her destiny
I was in your arms
Thinking I belonged there
I figured it made sense
Building me a fence
Building me a home
Thinking I'd be strong there
But I was a fool
Playing by the rules
The gods may throw the dice
Their minds as cold as ice
And someone way down here
Loses someone dear
The winner takes it all
The loser has to fall
It's simple and it's plain
Why should I complain?
But tell me does she kiss
Like I used to kiss you?
Does it feel the same
When she calls your name?
Somewhere deep inside
You must know I miss you
But what can I say?
Rules must be obeyed
The judges will decide
The likes of me abide
Spectators of the show
Always staying low
The game is on again
A lover or a friend
A big thing or a small
The winner takes it all
I don't wanna talk
If it makes you feel sad
And I understand
You've come to shake my hand
I apologize
If it makes you feel bad
Seeing me so tense
No self-confidence
But you see
The winner takes it all
The winner takes it all...
Re: Saraki’s Emergence Not Illegal – NBA President. by PhockPhockMan: 9:24am On Jun 12, 2015
omenka:
It is the NBA president's word against Robert Clerk's. See them in court.
Court?
Whoever takes such matter to court must be a big fool.

On BABAONECHANCE Words, go to court and stay there.

(1) (Reply)

Lagos MMIA Tax & Duty Free Section Is A Scam / Citizenship: See The Section Of 1999 Constitution That Might Send Saraki Packing / Elders Reject FG’s Plan To Build Nuclear Power Plant In A/ibom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.