Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,393 members, 7,826,516 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 03:25 PM

I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati (3540 Views)

Dear Mr.president, iSaw This In Kigali(pic) Can We Have this Here? / Six Lessons We Have Learnt By Reuben Abati / Must See: Nuhu Ribadu In Us Session (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by idiopathic: 9:06am On Feb 22, 2009
I RAN into him at the reception lobby of the Hotel Des Milles Collines in Kigali. He had just arrived and was trying to check into the hotel: Nuhu Ribadu, the erstwhile Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission who lost his job under rather controversial circumstances, and who is regarded as having been unfairly treated by the Yar'Adua government. I hugged him. He had lost nothing of his humility, his sense of humour and his humanity. He didn't look like a man who had just been rough-tackled by the unpredictable Nigerian state whose moral compass is subject solely to the whims and caprices of whoever is in charge, and not necessarily principles and values.

The following morning, we sat together on the same long table, and I slipped a note to him. I wanted an interview with him for The Guardian. It is about time he told his story at great length. He read my note, and picked up his pen. I noticed that he is a Southpaw, and I chuckled remembering how so many southpaws tend to find themselves in the hot corners of history. In his response, he had said "we would discuss." We were both attending a conference organised by UNECA in collaboration with UNDP to assess the efficiency and impact of anti-corruption institutions in Africa. There were anti-corruption chiefs in attendance from various African countries.

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/editorial_opinion/article02//indexn2_html?pdate=220209&ptitle=I%20Saw%20Ribadu%20In%20Rwanda

Ribadu wouldn't grant an interview, but he was ready to discuss. "I think it is better for me to remain silent now", he says. "I am using this period to reflect on what we did. You know when I took up the job in 2003, I resolved that I will try my utmost best. And walahi, I tried. I took the assignment seriously. Maybe I failed, but at least we proved that it is possible. So, I have been thinking and trying to figure out what further should have been done or could have been done differently." We were soon asked to introduce ourselves. When it was Ribadu's turn, he told the meeting: "I am Nuhu Ribadu, former Chairman of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission of Nigeria, currently recuperating from a bloodied nose". The hall cracked into laughter. But the other anti-corruption chiefs and operatives would not laugh later when Ribadu took part in a country case studies panel.

There has been so much speculation about Ribadu's whereabouts in the Nigerian press. But the fact is that he is currently a Senior Fellow at St Antony's College in Oxford University in the United Kingdom, working with Professor Paul Collier, the leading authority on African economies and politics. St Antony's College has become the sanctuary for many progressives who get into trouble in the developing world. Ribadu stays in a residence that was recently vacated by Anwal Ibrahim, the embattled former Prime Minister of Malaysia whose only offence was that he fell out of favour with his boss, Mahathir Muhammed. "Such a nice man", Ribadu says. "he left me his plates and cutlery and kitchen utensils." One of the persons Ribadu met on arrival at St Antony's is John Githongo, the Kenyan newspaper columnist and anti-corruption campaigner who had to flee from Kenya in 2005, after he discovered that the majorly corrupt persons in the country are his own colleagues: Ministers and the big men of Kenyan society. Githongo got their confessions on tape, but they told him bluntly that they are the ones milking Kenya dry. One fateful day, Githongo packed his bags and fled to London, from where he sent a letter resigning his position as Permanent Secretary for Ethics and Governance in Kibaki's NARC Government. He has now returned to Kenya where he enjoys massive media and civil society support, and his book, written by Michela Wrong and titled It's Our Turn To Eat will be released in London on February 23. It will go on sale in Nairobi the same day.

Unlike Githongo, Ribadu did not run away immediately he discovered that he had fallen out of favour. He stayed and tried to fight the system. He was sidelined and sent to a course he didn't ask for in Kuru near Jos. Behind his back, they gave his job to someone else, without regard to the security of tenure. Then, they demoted him in what looked like a routine administrative exercise, but the political undertones were writ large. When he tried to resist the system, they shoved him out of the graduation hall at Kuru, and his employers, the Police sent him to Siberia: what Nigerians would call the Ogbugbuaja treatment. Ribadu got lawyers and again tried to fight back. He refused to report for duty. He refused to wear the uniform of the new rank.

One day, assassins trailed him and pumped bullets into his car. Having served in the Nigeria Police for more than two decades, he could spot a warning shot if one was fired in his direction. So, Ribadu succumbed to the logic of Bob Marley's lyrics: "He who fights and runs away, will live to fight another day." He is not likely to come anywhere Nigeria for a while. Those who do not like his face and his work have effectively driven him out of town. But he is a determined man. "What has happened to me is just a temporary setback", he concludes. "I am a fighter, I don't give up. I don't believe the people who think they have dealt with me will have the last laugh."

Like Githongo, Ribadu is spending his period in exile to think and write. "I am working on two books", he told me. The working title for the first book is "The Problem of Corruption in Africa: The Nigerian Experience." He explained: "You know corruption is the biggest problem we have in Africa. It is so central to the problems we have. But to fight corruption, the biggest man in government, the President or the Prime Minister must be honest about it. That is where it starts. Americans talk about Obama. We need change in Nigeria more than America does. What I discovered is that we have a challenge to give power to ordinary Nigerians, to ordinary people, to take it from the politicians. And we don't have time. Change is important." He didn't have a working title for his proposed second book. But he offered an outline of its posssible contents.

"When I look back, I realise that some of the people who liked what I did also have issues with some of the things we did. I plan to do a second book to address some of their concerns. I intend to show for example that we deliberately went after grand corruption because that is where the problem is. We interrogated the Governors, the Senate President, the Vice President. I put a Bank Director, Bulama in handcuffs. The moment we did that, the banks knew immediately that there were no sacred cows. We needed to send a strong signal that corruption will not be condoned and the cleansing process had to start from the stop. The day I took the job, I knew that it could end up like this. I knew that I could be victimised or dismissed or killed. It could have been worse. That I am alive today is by the Grace of the Almighty and I am grateful. But my position is that some people just have to make the sacrifice to save our country. I swear by the Almighty that wherever there are people who are trying to make Nigeria a better country, I will be among them. Walahi."

Another objective Ribadu intends to achieve in the second book is to comment on a number of case studies. "People go about saying that Obasanjo used me to go after his enemies, Obasanjo didn't use me, in fact may be it is the other way round. If you check, you will notice that the people we went after were actually Obasanjo's people. Alamiyeseigha was very close to the President. Odili was also very close to him. Saminu Turaki was an Obasanjo man. I deliberately did not go after the opposition. Yes, we investigated Orji Kalu. We also investigated Bola Tinubu. I know the President's people would have wanted the EFCC to go after a man like Ken Nnamani. But we needed to start with the Obasanjo people to make a point that nobody is above the law. And that was why we investigated the President himself, And we went after his daughter. I was in Kuru then, but I knew about the Iyabo case. If we want to clean up our country, then let us do it. And that was why I went after Atiku. Atiku is from the same village with me. But Nigeria is more important. It belongs to all of us, not some powerful people."

Ribadu's book is also a response to questions about due process and the rule of law. "People complain that we didn't obey the rule of law, that we violated due process and they use specific instances to criticise us. I plan to respond to all those criticisms. Take a man like former IG Tafa Balogun. I didn't like what happened myself. I was against putting him in handcuffs. But I have to be sensitive to the people who work under me. They came to me and accussed me of double standards. When I accepted the job, I was inspired by the example of Jerry Rawlings of Ghana who went after the big fish and changed his country for good. So we decided that if we could put a Bank MD in handcuffs and follow that up with an Inspector General of Police, then Nigerians would realise that we meant serious business. That was what happened. I am a human being. I make mistakes. I admit that. But I was honest about what I did. So they say we abused the rule of law? What is rule of law? The same rule of law that has now been used to recapture Nigeria?"

I told Ribadu I can't wait to read and review his books. When are they coming out? "This year. By July. We have to keep the anti-corruption campaign alive. For me personally, there is nothing left for me other than to dedicate myself to the struggle. I am not seeking to be an Obama. But people must be prepared to make the sacrifice. We need change more than America." How is he these days? "I sleep well these days", he said. "My needs are minimal. Look at this pair of slippers". I checked: an over-abused pair of slippers with worn edges and threatening holes. "I have been wearing this since 2003 and I am okay. But I must tell you I have enjoyed a lot of goodwill since I left office. I was offered jobs by many international organisations. I receive invitations to attend conferences and to write books. I came here for example from Lusaka. I am happy to know that there are people out there who have faith in human progress and integrity."

It was soon the turn of Ribadu to participate in a panel discussion focussing on country case studies. There were contributions from representatives of Nigeria's EFCC and the ICPC, but Ribadu's comments had a special accent which struck a chord among the participants. He said: "If you fight corruption, it fights back. If you go after petty corruption nothing will happen to you, But if you go after grand corruption, you'd be taking on the politicians and they have the money. And they will come after you, But you can choose to go to bed with them and you'd continue to be Chairman or Director, and you can go to conferences and enjoy tea and collect estacodes. But I made a choice, I decided to go after the big ones, even if they were the ones that put me there, I investigated President Obasanjo, I took his statement myself. I went after his daughter, a Senator, I went after Governors, I charged all of them to court. One of them offered me $500, 000 US and a house in Seychelles and an aircraft, but I rejected all of that. By the time I left EFCC, I had 275 convictions in a country that never had one on cases of grand corruption, I charged the Vice President to court - somebody from my village. I proved that it can be done.

"It is the most difficult work to do. To confront it will require people who make sacrifice like Mandela, like the people who fought for independence in our various countries. It requires people who have courage, people who do not think that they want to enjoy. If you want to enjoy, it is not the kind of work you can do. I have no regrets. It requires a strong will to make sacrifice. You have to make a fundamental decsiion. It can even mean you lose your life. They will try to compromise you, They will try to blackmail you. I survived an assassination attempt. I have bullets in my car. I intend to keep that car for life. I have no regrets. You have the media. You have to carry them along, be open, be accountable. I have never given a penny to anybody in the media, But there is no newspaper in Nigeria that has not made me Man of the Year, even though I charged some publishers to court and even threatened to close down newspapers. Which shows that people are good. If they see that you mean well, they will support you. I am out now, but Nigeria has changed. You need international co-operation. You also need to build capacity.

"We built a Financial Intelligence Unit, you have to be in control of Financial intelligence in your country. because money is at the root of all forms of corruption. If you track the money, you can stop the corruption. Be on the side of your own people. Don't be on the side of the leaders. A President will go, but the country will be there, Those who are in control, it is only temporary. History will judge you and you
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by idiopathic: 9:10am On Feb 22, 2009
Historically Prophets have always been maligned and rejected by their own people. I am overjoyed Malam Ribadu is safe and being accorded the
recognition denied him in Nigeria.
Those who accuse him of selective justice, being used by OBJ, violatons of the rule of law an dother spurious allegations , will read his own account from his forthcomming books.
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by presido1: 11:44am On Feb 22, 2009
But I made a choice, I decided to go after the big ones, even if they were the ones that put me there, I investigated President Obasanjo, I took his statement myself. I went after his daughter, a Senator, I went after Governors
Hahahahaha you investigated OBJ. Where are the people you charged to court. If they were not convicted it then means you charged the wrong people.
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by ElRazur: 11:48am On Feb 22, 2009
presido1:

Hahahahaha you investigated OBJ. Where are the people you charged to court. If they were not convicted it then means you charged the wrong people.

What an inaccurate thing to say. What if the judge decide there wasn't enough evidence to convict them? You clearly know very little about how convictions works.
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by desgiezd(m): 12:39pm On Feb 22, 2009
I just wanted to post this here only to discover that it has been done already.

Thank God Almighty that Ribadu is alive and well. Talk of a prophet not recognised in his own town. But I see Ribadu as the rejected stone who would, mark my words, one day become the cornerstone. Just as he has said, as a human being, he may have made mistakes but would that justify the treatment we have metted out to him? All these tribulations will only make him stronger and have a stronger resolve to continue to serve this nation even at greater level and I stand to be counted as one of those who would give him all the necessary support at my disposal.

What a shame that even the ones who have looted this country blind and were being prosecuted by Ribadu are the nouveau power brokers who have found a way round the laws of the land while our leaders are here mouthing "rule of law"? 

Ribadu will definitely rise again
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by olanajim(m): 12:49pm On Feb 22, 2009
I am so, so glad Ribadu is in great shape. Shame on the enemies!
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by chidichris(m): 12:52pm On Feb 22, 2009
Another objective Ribadu intends to achieve in the second book is to comment on a number of case studies. "People go about saying that Obasanjo used me to go after his enemies, Obasanjo didn't use me, in fact may be it is the other way round. If you check, you will notice that the people we went after were actually Obasanjo's people. Alamiyeseigha was very close to the President. Odili was also very close to him. Saminu Turaki was an Obasanjo man. I deliberately did not go after the opposition. Yes, we investigated Orji Kalu. We also investigated Bola Tinubu. I know the President's people would have wanted the EFCC to go after a man like Ken Nnamani. But we needed to start with the Obasanjo people to make a point that nobody is above the law. And that was why we investigated the President himself, And we went after his daughter. I was in Kuru then, but I knew about the Iyabo case. If we want to clean up our country, then let us do it. And that was why I went after Atiku. Atiku is from the same village with me. But Nigeria is more important. It belongs to all of us, not some powerful people."

in the field of football, ribadu can be termed a versatile player.  in nollywood he will act real. is ribadu telling us that we do not know who the obj boys are?
well, in case i do not know there names, i can include such people as;
Tony annenih - known with the contract of ibadan-benin expressway
Adedibu - the no one pdp tug whose house was the best place to keep inec machines
andy uba - a confirmed money laundry case in usa was turned to a civil case by ribadu
chris uba - he represented obj well in anambra that he went to the extent of removing a sitting gov who he later confessed to rigged into power
fani kayode - now singing a new song
borrishade - the calamity minister aka mr. corruption
bode george - the man who ruined nigeria ports authroty without a crime.

if there is anything ribadu needs to do to cleaning up the mess, it is a confession and appology to the people of nigeria who believed so much in him.

the investigation and persecution of nigerian politicians are simple in the sense that non of them can say the source of the funds used in building their residentials houses alone talkless of their uncountable investments.

i know of a lawyer who lived with his father all the days of his profession untill when he became a house member in 1999. his residential house i talk to u now is worth nothing less than N200 million and this is only in the village.

simple, invite such man, let him bring his bank accounts, trace payments and withdrawals and relate them to the house and the time frame for the building.

achike udenwa was a gov under ribadu and is a minister under yar adua. why? he was the first gov to endorse obj for third tenure. why is kalu always the criminal? ribadu in various interviews call kalu criminal without going to court and that is against the constitution of nigeria which made an accused innocent until proffed guilty but to ribadu, kalu was guilty until the day he will say sorry to obj.

if ribadu likes, he could go ahead and write 21 books but he must not forget to tell nigerians why the man who was to context with iyabo obasanjo was probed even when the contestant had never in the history of nigeria held any public office.

buba marwa was invited by ribadu when he wanted to context for presient and the only condition was, drop ur ambition or we will probe u. we all saw warwa dropped his ambition and today marwa is an ambassadore.

ribadu might be a good man but he has to accept the fact that he was used. information on how he dropped the charges against bode george are all there.
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by Nobody: 8:23am On Feb 23, 2009
chidi open ur eyes, u have to start from somewhere, if you can name any one else that has done this much, i,ll keep quiet, if not, shut the fork up!! angry talking gibberish about ur law maker in ur village, he should arrest everybody, how childish, answer my question where the people he arrested corrupt or not? nonsense.
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by chidichris(m): 8:56am On Feb 23, 2009
chidi open ur eyes, u have to start from somewhere, if you can name any one else that has done this much, i,ll keep quiet, if not, shut the fork up!! Angry talking gibberish about ur law maker in ur village, he should arrest everybody, how childish, answer my question where the people he arrested corrupt or not? nonsense.

df2006 ,
insulting me will not change my stance rather i will accept your insults in good fate bcs if i don't come online, u will not have any other meeting place or avenue to insult me.

those he arrested are corrupt but who among our politicians is not corrupt?
if that kind of of war continues, do u think anything will get better in nigeria?
have u ever thought of the result of that war on corruption? have u ever checked if it reduced corruption in nigeria or it increased corruption?
it was under that war that iyabo obasanjo had her case and she is still roaming our streets till date and she is urposed to be a law maker? what about mrs etteh? the senate president had to pass the rigorous processes of the court to remain on seat. men of questionable characters at the helm of affairs, what do u think our fate will be?
how did the whole movie come to an end? yar adua became president via the worst and organised crime called election in the history of nigeria under the watchful eyes of this same ribadu who was out to make sure corrupt officials did not take powers.
have we all gone mad? tell me among the new sets of leaders, who is sane or worthy to be where he is.
african china in his music said; poor man wey steal magi, they will show him for crime fighter while the bigmen that loot our money still remain heros.
don't u know how borrishade ruined the educational system in nigeria? don't u know how he was shifted to the aviation ministry? don't u know how many plane crashes he recorded before he was moved to the information and culture? where was ribadu?
i keep on wondering how ribadu so much liked abia people that he consider them more important than our dear country nigeria
how come among nigerians nobody is interested in what happened on our federal roads, power sector, educational system, medical system, security and oil sector yet we are all happy ribadu made kalu a criminal. how did the criminal actions of orji uzor kalu affect the sectors mentioned above under the care of federal govt which shld be our major concern?
go ahead and tell me to shut up while ribadu serves as a estate agent who buys federal govt property for his inlaw. i will shut up while el rufai shared practically all federal lands to friend of the past administration while the war on corruption is on.
why is it that non of us is interested to know how many of these lands were traced to orji uzor kalu?
ribadu was there when chris uba overthrew an elected gov in anambra state. the hatred they showed to kalu was because he refused and resisted them from the beginning to the last. he refused to be a toy before the man he sponsored his first election.
if u said i shld shut up, then tell me ho is possible that among all our past presidents, it was only abacha that was probed. i must remind u that selected justice is more dangerous and can never bring th result we want.
look at tony annenih back as the chairman of nigerian ports authority and he is yet to tell us how he managed the N300 billion his friend(obj) gave him for ibadan-benin expressways. do u know how many ppl that have died on that road since then?

how far did ribadu go with atiku? how come ribadu only noticed that atiku was a criminal immediately he(atiku) fall out with obj over third term.

well then, i will shut up for now but truth will and must surely be told someday sometime. a movie but the war on corruption led by obj and ribadu was only a movie and did not put nigeria anywhere better than it was except on the pages of our newspapers.
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by olanajim(m): 9:04am On Feb 23, 2009
What kind of logic is this?
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by superboi(m): 9:12am On Feb 23, 2009
don't u guyz know that chidichris is uzo kalu?
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by Nobody: 10:02am On Feb 23, 2009
Ribadu, Thank God you are well. Dont be distracted by armchair critics/ Cowards. Its is so difficult to do the right thing but the rewards will always come in the long run.
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by mikeapollo: 4:51pm On Feb 23, 2009
Ribadu should shut up! Does he think everybody is a fool? He was just used by Obasanjo to frustrate political; oponents
He said he probed Obasanjo, where is the report of the probe? Where is the report on a president who promoted a company(Transcorp), bought 200million shares in the company, and then turned around to sell juicy government establishments (NITEL, Oil Blocks etc) to that company where he is a major shareholder? What is that, Corruption or Accountability? Can such thing be tolerated by the FBI in US? That was the greatest fraud of the century, yet Ribadu came out to say OBJ is not corrupt! Excuse me!

When he was asked to provide case files on some people he alleged to be corrupt, he could not do jack, he was just using public propaganda to cover his bias and selective crusade! Nonsense!
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by MrCrackles(m): 4:53pm On Feb 23, 2009
Hehe
Ribadu dey see anytin
!! cheesy
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by stoikjoy: 7:47pm On Feb 23, 2009
There is something most Nigerian writers, critics and other concern Nigerians fail to grasp in this phenomenon called corruption. And it is, that- history has provided us with too many  evidence from different part of the globe on how   multinational companies shady practices, political corruptions, rich countries protectionist anti trust laws, discriminating bidding practices and illegal money laundry activities has contributed to our present level of civilization. These things are contributory drivers of industrialization or what ever name you can call it. You can not eliminate them from the system/society. One way or the other they fit in the web of economic development. For instance the American way of life we are trying to imitate  today was built by Irish, Italian and Jewish immigrants, who  refused to continue living in poverty in slumps in rat infected areas as Harlem and Brooklyn(at the time). They aggressively result to making money by any means necessary- to find a better life for themselves. This resulted in the rise in organize criminal activities and hence the Mafia. They made a lot of money through their illegal activities, and as their businesses became bigger, they consolidate their internal structure. After that they began to make this money clean- by investing in legitimate businesses and real estates. Hence the emergence of what you know today as Wall Street( most of the businesses traded there are owned by the great grand children of these people). Also, all those posh areas in central park Manhattan in New York and the casinos in Las Vegas and Atlantic city was built by these people. Also go back in history, and trace the background of all American presidents from the 1920s till date- they have got ties with the men of the underworld. From F.D Roosevelt( linked to Tammany Hall racketeering n political corruption), Lyndon Johnson(Edgar Hoovers Connection with the mafia), John F Kennedy( Father was a bootlegger in Chicago- his death was even linked to the mob and FBI), Pres Nixon, Republican Senator McCain(Wife parents riches linked to the heydays of prohibition), even Clinton not to talk of our newly found mentor Obama- who started his political career in a state whose political structure has been corrupted long before he was born by the notorious  Billionaire ALphonse Capone a.k.a Al Capone(there are also stories of Obamas relationship with corrupt rich Jews). So readers, the Nigerian case is not different. My advice will be for us to look for ways to use corruption to facilitate economic growth and development- for we can not stop it. Instead we can make something creative with it. or what do you think?  In America- sometimes, the CIA, and other government agencies work with organize crime bosses and mobsters to achieve an objective that will be of national interest. For example the invasion of Cuba which was specifically aimed at removing  the government of Fidel Castro, and the successful invasion and defeat of Italy under Benito Mussolini during WW11. Nigerians and our leaders should think and stop shouting criminals in government everyday. Such kindergarten reasoning is far from the level of intelligence required to attain leadership in world affairs.
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by duabba: 9:09pm On Feb 23, 2009
@ stoik_joy

You get brain. No be small sumtin, we agree they are corrupt folks amongst us but if we can instill a sense of patroitism in ourselves. The thieves should plough back the funds into our economy.

As for me, if anyone must steal they should plough back into our economy by investing so as to create jobs that would grow the economy. Just imagine how dollars dey rise because we have no other commodity to export apart from oil. We have to look for a way to end this endemic corruption within the system or use it to work for us.

As for Ribadu, he couldn't have caught them all. But he tried to do what he could. His critics can hardly do better put in his shoes. Nigeria is a nation of high-wire politics. Nobody can wake up and erase corruption overnight. May God give us somebody who would effectively continue from where Ribadu stopped.
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by linuxuser(m): 11:48pm On Feb 23, 2009
duabba:

@ stoik_joy

You get brain. No be small sumtin, we agree they are corrupt folks amongst us but if we can instill a sense of patroitism in ourselves. The thieves should plough back the funds into our economy.

As for me, if anyone must steal they should plough back into our economy by investing so as to create jobs that would grow the economy. Just imagine how dollars dey rise because we have no other commodity to export apart from oil. We have to look for a way to end this endemic corruption within the system or use it to work for us.

As for Ribadu, he couldn't have caught them all. But he tried to do what he could. His critics can hardly do better put in his shoes. Nigeria is a nation of high-wire politics. Nobody can wake up and erase corruption overnight. May God give us somebody who would effectively continue from where Ribadu stopped.

Well I am not sure whether to say your prayer is too late because the Farida of a woman there now at the helm of affairs is nothing but a corruption incarnate.  God Save Nigeria.
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by hutton: 1:08pm On Feb 24, 2009
Ribadu is a great Nigerian and will always be kindly treated by posterity. This President, the A.G Aandoka and their cronies will live to regret their role in all these mess. The tears of Nigerians will one day wiped never to drip again
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by otokx(m): 1:09pm On Feb 25, 2009
Good for him
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by chidichris(m): 4:19pm On Feb 25, 2009
the lowest level of human beings here are those who praise obj/ribadu and turn back to criticise yar adua and his group.
we are all witnesses to the events that brought yar adua to power.
it is a general knowledge that ribadu and obj on their own brought yar adua on board.
it was this same ribadu that made us to understand that yar adua was the only man qualified among every other nigerian to be president.
if there is any manner of failure or failures, nigerians shld look towards the direction of yar adua for explaination bcs it was him who disqualified every other contestant and made yar adua a lone striker.
i will like us to admit the failures and apportion blames to the right direction.
who brought yar adua? obj. who brought ribadu? obj. so the praises and blames on the side of the above two must go to the same direction.
there is a God that will supply them with enough confussion for our freedom.
ribadu was doing better on the side of buying property with his inlaw's name than as a corruption fighter.
he was so stupid that he did not consider any federal govt appointed politician corrupt.
the only corrupt people in nigeria were govs who could not dance to his tone.
where was ribadu when el rufai was sharing all the lands in abuja to his girl friends?
war on corruption indeed.
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by Moves: 7:43pm On Feb 25, 2009
chidichris:

the lowest level of human beings here are those who praise obj/ribadu and turn back to criticise yar adua and his group.
we are all witnesses to the events that brought yar adua to power.
it is a general knowledge that ribadu and obj on their own brought yar adua on board.
it was this same ribadu that made us to understand that yar adua was the only man qualified among every other nigerian to be president.
if there is any manner of failure or failures, nigerians shld look towards the direction of yar adua for explaination bcs it was him who disqualified every other contestant and made yar adua a lone striker.
i will like us to admit the failures and apportion blames to the right direction.
who brought yar adua? obj. who brought ribadu? obj. so the praises and blames on the side of the above two must go to the same direction.
there is a God that will supply them with enough confussion for our freedom.
ribadu was doing better on the side of buying property with his inlaw's name than as a corruption fighter.
he was so stupid that he did not consider any federal govt appointed politician corrupt.
the only corrupt people in nigeria were govs who could not dance to his tone.
where was ribadu when el rufai was sharing all the lands in abuja to his girl friends?
war on corruption indeed.

Are you saying ObJ in his 8 years rule did not do a single thing right, Also as per Yardua being the lone contestant thats is not Run, Atiku, Buhari, Pat utomi etc contested the election, I will accept that PDP outrigged them, just like their party outrigged PDP is some states, So if anything I would suggest before Ribadu, Maurice Iwu is to blame
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by chidichris(m): 8:07pm On Feb 25, 2009
Are you saying ObJ in his 8 years rule did not do a single thing right, Also as per Yardua being the lone contestant thats is not Run, Atiku, Buhari, Pat utomi etc contested the election, I will accept that PDP outrigged them, just like their party outrigged PDP is some states, So if anything I would suggest before Ribadu, Maurice Iwu is to blame

Moves,
obj did a lot of good things including the telecommunication industry which is enjoyed all over nigeria till date.

i would want to remind us here that most of us are not even aware of the dramatic situation with the april polls.

atiku was on his own based on court injuction so there was no way he could win and be president of nigeria. remember ribadu gazzetted a fraud case that indicted atiku within one week and declared him illegible to context the april polls through inec.

did u follow the pdp convention that did not hold. do u know that odili was favourite till the last minute when obj changed his stance. do u know buba marwa was in the race and both men were asked to drop their presidential ambition or face efcc.
odili dropped his ambition knowing what will happen to him if he fails. marwa was sturborn till he was invited by ribadu who suggestion a settlement outside the court.

warwa complied with their instruction and today he is compensated with ambassadorian position.

whatsoever yar adua does today will be related to those two big men(ribadu and obj) who even against the wishes of majority of nigerians imposed him on us.

nobody will do anything to iwu because iwu did nothing wrong in nigeria. if anyone is accussing iwu, he shld be able to be linked to his employee who till date sees him as the best man in nigeria.
Re: I Saw Nuhu Ribadu In Kigali By Reuben Abati by Moves: 10:41am On Feb 26, 2009
chidichris:

Moves,
obj did a lot of good things including the telecommunication industry which is enjoyed all over nigeria till date.

Am Glad u said these,

i would want to remind us here that most of us are not even aware of the dramatic situation with the april polls.
atiku was on his own based on court injuction so there was no way he could win and be president of nigeria. remember ribadu gazzetted a fraud case that indicted atiku within one week and declared him illegible to context the april polls through inec.

But It has since been proven that Atiku is corrupt, not even by EFCC, but by the US govt

did u follow the pdp convention that did not hold. do u know that odili was favourite till the last minute when obj changed his stance. do u know buba marwa was in the race and both men were asked to drop their presidential ambition or face efcc.
odili dropped his ambition knowing what will happen to him if he fails. marwa was sturborn till he was invited by ribadu who suggestion a settlement outside the court.
warwa complied with their instruction and today he is compensated with ambassadorian position.
whatsoever yar adua does today will be related to those two big men(ribadu and obj) who even against the wishes of majority of nigerians imposed him on us.

Well if these guys didnt have any skeleton in their cupboard they wouldnt have cowed in but we know better; Also they had the option of carpet crossing to pursue there ambition, We can accuse Yardua of alot of things but I dont think corruption will be one of them; the man is so clueless & living in the past that the best he can do marry off his 2 lovely daughters as 3rd & 4th Wife

nobody will do anything to iwu because[b] iwu did nothing wrong in nigeria[/b]. if anyone is accussing iwu, he shld be able to be linked to his employee who till date sees him as the best man in nigeria.

I Hope you are just joking with the bolded part of that statement,

(1) (Reply)

Joseph Yobo Weds Adaeze Igwe / NIMASA Intercepts Vessel With Petroleum Products / Security Of Abia Is Orji's First Priority

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 138
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.