Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,845 members, 7,810,256 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:02 AM

Underneath The Veil (a Novella) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Underneath The Veil (a Novella) (7674 Views)

Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel / How Much Will It Cost Me To Publish A 16,000 Words Novella? / Behind Her Veil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by zayzee(f): 3:12pm On Jun 14, 2015
UNDERNEATH THE VEIL
By UZEZI ADESITE
© UZEZI ADESITE

Prologue
He showed the perfect dentition, along with a beautiful smile that adorned his face to convey his congratulations. His hand was outstretched.
Before the display of the perfect fine dentition, before the smile came, before the hand stretched out in front of him, she had been petrified.
Maybe he didn’t notice her wide eyes. Maybe he didn’t notice her troubled expression because the hand was still waiting to be taken.

Lowering her brow in a bid to hide her troubled countenance, she forced herself despite the circumstances to produce a wan smile. Then she took his hand in her weak one and she felt – more than saw – his other hand cover her lone one. Eventually, he let go and she sighed in relief, but he thought she sighed due to the fact that she was exhausted.

“Rest more,” he advised carefully.
She nodded as her feet felt for her three inches heel slippers around the foot of the armchair.
“Call me soon,” he told her. He was still standing. His hands were now in his pockets. “For now, I should see you at least once a month, okay?”

She nodded. She still hasn’t said anything since the bomb dropped. She got on her feet, praying he wouldn’t say more. Oh Tobo, I’m sorry.
“Take it easy,” he said as his eyes were taking in all her movements carefully.
He’s already treating her like one. She thought angrily as she made for the door. Her knees felt heavy. She desperately needed the safety of her BMW. What would she tell Tobo?
“Elo.”
She stopped and faced him.
He hesitated in his thoughts, then he smiled. “Congratulations again.”
Elo smiled. She opened the door and thanked God the moment it closed behind her to separate them. But such thanks weren’t enough. There is nothing to be thankful about. She is in big trouble and she knows it. Tobo.

Elo drove through the black gates to confront the monstrous white building. How she loathes the place. How she felt so imprisoned in the almighty ambience.
As she alighted, she forced her eyes not to fall on the gift items that were opposite her at the other side of the white wall. But she failed. Her eyes fell on them and she felt something drop in her heart. It felt like a drop of blood. What has she done?
The doors slid open before she climbed the first stairs to get on the front porch. Surprisingly enough nobody stepped out. Elo thought it odd. Who opened the door then?
She stepped into the visitor’s sitting room and shut the door. Elo saw no one and she thought nothing of it. Her earlier dilemma has returned. She walked into the hall and then into the family sitting room.
“Congratulations!”
The noise was deafening. But that wasn’t why she jumped. For one, her attention was elsewhere. For another, Elo didn’t expect the crowd. Composing herself, she scrutinized the room and its content. The whole family. Good Lord! She couldn’t even smile. Ewoma and her kids had already arrived.
“Aunty Elo,” Ewoma’s five years old daughter, Sidney, came forward in coquetting footsteps. “How’re you doing?”
Elo found a smile for her little niece. “I’m fine. And the American girl?”
Sidney chuckled. “Bubbling. Have you met Tony?”
“Have you forgotten I was in New Jersey when Tony was born?” Elo asked
Sidney frowned. “That was when he was born. He’s nine months old now.” She took Elo’s hand. “Come and meet Tony now that he can recognize people.”
Elo followed her niece to where Ewoma sat. Tony was on her laps, his eyes fixed on Elo, wondering. Elo felt her parents were watching her. Involuntarily, she shivered.
“Hello Tony.” Elo picked him up and received a kick from him. “Awh,” Elo set him down.
“He doesn’t know you,” Sidney said gently. “Give him time.”
Elo smiled at the little girl. “I can see your mouth is still exercising.” She smiled and faced her sister. “I thought you were coming in tomorrow.”
Ewoma looked at her younger sister tenderly. “Couldn’t bear to miss the bride to be one minute longer. And our little bride here was yelling for her aunt. So we had to fly home.” Then she smiled. “A good thing I came in today. I wouldn’t want to miss congratulating you for anything.”
Elo’s brows closed together. “And what was that congratulations for anyway?”
“Immediately you left, Dr. Timi called to give us the good news,” Mary Aghogho told her youngest daughter.
“Good news?” Elo asked.
“You’re going to have a baby. That’s good news Elo,” Joseph Aghogho said. “Now if you weren’t getting married in three days’ time, I would’ve gotten mad at you.” He smiled.
Elo gazed at them. They don’t know and she grieves because she won’t tell them. “I’m a little tired. I’ll just go upstairs and lie down. Ewoma welcome. Sidney forgive me. I’ll give you a grand welcome tomorrow, okay?” She patted the girl’s shoulder.
“Okay,” Sidney shrugged.

It’s the last dinner they’ll have together before the wedding. The fact that Tobo had been out of town made it more difficult for Elo. He flew in from Cape Town in the afternoon, called her, and fixed a dinner date.
As Elo put a final touch to her makeup, she wondered if Tobo would notice any difference. She turned towards the door as it opened.
Sidney walked in majestically. Elo had given her a treat yesterday on the Island. “He’s arrived.”
“I’ll be down in a minute,” Elo said. “Is your mum back?”
“Nope.” Sidney slipped out.
Exhaling heavily, Elo got up. She knew what must be done and it has to be now.
“Hey honey,” Tobo was all smiles as Elo walked in. He got up with outstretched arms, inviting her into a warm embrace. “I missed you.”
The next instant, he was kissing her.
He pulled back and looked at her vaguely. “Tell me it’s my imagination, but I think you’re acting cold.”
Eyes averted, she shook her head. “Tobo, we’ve got to talk.”
“I know,” he said gently dropping his arms to his side. “We’ll do that over dinner. Let’s go.”
Sighing deeply, Elo followed him out of the house.
They were stuck in traffic. Tobo was drumming lightly on the steering. His face was blank and his mind was full. He was obviously troubled, but Elo was unaware.

The instant she had walked into the sitting room, Tobo had known something was amidst and he definitely couldn’t fathom why. He had felt her tension when they embraced. Then she had said they needed to talk. Tobo doesn’t want to talk because he was scared of what she will have to say. He was scared Elo was having second thoughts. He was sacred she would request for the wedding to be called off. The traditional marriage took place two months earlier in the absence of the bride and groom. Only both families had assembled.
Elo had been in London writing her final exams, while Tobo had been in Cape Town strengthening out his Advertising Agency and making more money in one month, than his father would make in three years.

He had tried calling her on the night of the traditional, but his calls kept going to voice mail. Even then, he had been scared she didn’t want the marriage. Tobo wanted her by all means. Since the night of the traditional till date, they never contacted each other because he made sure of it. The wedding is by noon tomorrow. Their family had fixed it. It’s always the family.

Tobo turned to look at her. She’s so beautiful. She has everything he needs in a woman and he loves her very much. “Hey sweetheart.”
Elo met his gaze lazily and smiled.
“I really did miss you,” he said.
Gradually, the smile faded. “Why the silence, Tobo? I can’t remember the last time I saw you or spoke with you.” Her voice was smooth and the tone gentle, but her words carried a deeper meaning.
“Exactly three months ago in my bedroom,” Tobo said and smiled. “Remember how you had to rush into your clothes, and how you left my apartment before I could even find my boxers? You gave me a fright girl. I was scared you would get lost in Cape Town.”
That’s one day Elo doesn’t want to remember. The day she met Ben again inside the British Airways and the story continued. “Maybe we should skip dinner.”
Tobo didn’t want that. “Why?”
“We need to talk,” Elo said.
His heart was racing. “My place?”
“Hell!” Her irritation spoke. His place was crowded with family members who were waiting for tomorrow’s wedding.
“Your place?”
Elo’s mouth tightened. “Not the best of places, but preferably better than your place.”
Tobo said nothing. He had a plan.

“Do you want anything to drink?” Elo asked immediately they entered.
Tobo shook his head. “I’ve got to run.”
Elo’s eyes narrowed. “We just got here.”
“I’ll see you tomorrow in church,” he said and took her in his arms before she protested. He kissed her. Tobo knew what to do to make her stop talking. He ran his hands through her back and down onto her hips to move her closer, so she could feel him.
“Believe me Elo, I love you.” He stepped back and looked at her.
“Tobo,” she called gently.
He shook his head. “No Elo, please don’t tell me anything. Please.”
She hesitated looking at him. “Maybe you should hear me out.”
“No.” Tobo shook his head. “I love you.”
“What about me loving you?” She inquired and shook her head. “We cannot get married.”
“We are already married,” he reminded her of their traditional marriage.
“Bull. We didn’t sign anything. Our families did,” Elo let out.
Tobo looked at her painfully. “Why did you accept my proposal?” He asked gently, his eyes falling on the ring he had slipped onto her finger four months earlier.
Elo’s eyes fell on the ring. “Because…” she shook her head.
“Because you love me,” Tobo said. “I know you’ve never said those words to me, but I know what we have.”
Elo stepped forward and kissed him lightly. “See you tomorrow then.”
He could have smiled, happy that this was what he wanted but he didn’t. Tobo said nothing. He left.
Elo didn’t know if she made the right decision. Tomorrow, they’ll be married.

Before seven on the morning of the day of the wedding, the Aghoghos had visitors.
They were in Joseph’s library talking in hush voices.
About an hour later, Ewoma, Elo’s elder sister, was sent up to Elo’s bedroom. Ewoma saw the maid approaching Elo’s room.
“Is Elo still sleeping?” Ewoma asked.
“I don’t know,” the maid answered. “I want to check. The woman dressing her is downstairs.”
Ewoma stopped the maid from knocking. “Go to the library and tell mummy the woman is here.”
Ewoma waited until the maid was out of sight, before opening the door. Elo wasn’t there. The sound of splashing water from the bathroom filtered to Ewoma’s ears.
Seconds later, Elo walked into the room. “Hi sis,” she smiled at Ewoma.
No need showing her jitters. Ewoma would question her. “How come I didn’t see you throughout yesterday?” Elo asked and began drying her wet hair.
A surprised Ewoma hesitated. It was odd. Elo was supposed to be getting married today. Elo didn’t wash her hair yesterday and here she was, hair wet and dripping. “Look at your hair!”
Elo paused, “The church service is at noon, why fret?”
Everything just wasn’t making sense at all. The visitors downstairs.
“Where were you yesterday?” Elo queried.
“Trying to make sure things are in order for today. Your cake for example.”
Elo looked at her. “Why are you raising your voice at me?”
“The least you could have done was to wash your hair yesterday.”
“Excuse me, it’s my wedding, hello!” Elo let out. “And why the hell do you have to go around making sure things are okay? Just what are we paying those dumbs for?”
“Your wedding, Elo. No matter how many people are preparing God knows what, you should be concerned.”
“If I weren’t concerned, I would still be sleeping.” Elo sat before her dressing table.
Ewoma went to stand behind her. She looked at Elo through the mirror. “Is your stylist even coming to pack your hair?”
Elo rolled her eyes. “I will dry it myself, pack it and put some hair pins.”
Ewoma couldn’t believe her sister. “Do you know I had to transfer a very important case to my partner juts because of this wedding?”
Elo sighed. “I appreciate your help Ewoma. Don’t think I’m being ungrateful. You should know me.”
Ewoma’s hands flew up. “I should know you, but I don’t!” She shook her head. “Before I came into your room, I was wondering how to go about this whole thing, but seeing you, I wonder.”
Elo met her sister’s gaze. “What were you going to tell me?”
“Oh please, don’t insult me!” Ewoma spat. “You know.” She turned around. “My poor client. I should have stayed home.”
“Ewoma,” Elo was confused. “I do want you here for my wedding. Christ! You’re my only sister.”
Ewoma faced her. “What wedding?” she asked. “I know you’re pissed. I know because I felt same when I was in this demoralizing house. Mum and dad are the worse parents alive. How did I get back at them? Despite their resolve, I remained inflexible that I wasn’t joining the family business. I chose to marry whom I wanted despite all they said about my husband and his background. I settled in the states just to be away from them. You could do the same Elo, but you didn’t. First, you had a traditional marriage that excluded your attendance with your hard-to-believe-you’re-in-love-with-him boyfriend. Now this! Imagine the scandal. Take this.” Ewoma posed. “Top headlines, ‘The wedding of the rivals, assassinated: The Imonis disgrace the Aghoghos: Tobo Imoni dumps Elo Aghogho: The wedding of the rivals…’”
“Stop!” Elo yelled. “What is this?”
Ewoma regarded her. “His parents are downstairs. He has called off the wedding.”
Elo’s mouth felt dry as she stared at her sister’s reflection.
Ewoma patted her shoulders. “Why are you acting surprised? After all you didn’t love him. I always knew.” Ewoma twisted her mouth. “Although. I’m surprised you got pregnant.”
“It’s not his!” Elo let out before she could stop herself.
Ewoma was definitely alarmed. “Oh God!” She covered her mouth. “Anymore surprises?”
Elo became impossibly quiet. She couldn’t look at her sister.
Ewoma’s mind was racing. Her sister’s silence was ominous. Much more than the news that Tobo wasn’t responsible for her pregnancy.
“Ben,” Elo whispered as her eyes filled.
“Oh Lord,” Ewoma whispered too calmly as her head hit her palm without a word. She left Elo’s room.

To be continued

2 Likes

Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by zayzee(f): 9:13am On Jun 15, 2015
One

Elo and Ewoma grew up as prisoners in their home. Their parents had only the two of them, as a result of which the girls were over pampered. After Ewoma’s secondary school education, she had been able to convince her parents to send her abroad for further studies. It didn’t take much to convince them, because they had loved the idea. They saw it as brilliant because once she’s graduated it will be another name to them, having a Harvard graduate.
Everything has always been about them; lost in wealth and fame that they manifestly ignore their daughters. For the dearth of time with their daughters, they use money and gifts to make up for. The only thing the girls ever wanted was their parents’ love, which wasn’t available. As a result, both girls developed a strong bond, always taking comfort from each other.

Sixteen years earlier, when Ewoma had been fourteen, she had returned home from school in tears. Eight-year-old Elo had been frightened on seeing her sister. Elo had followed Ewoma into a bathroom as Ewoma’s cries increased. When Ewoma had shown Elo all the bloodstains on her clothes, Elo had screamed. Ewoma knew nothing about menstruation.
The maids then had no idea of what was happening because they always stayed away from the girls. They only answered to the girls when summoned. Ewoma couldn’t call any of them.
“E…E…Ewoma…” Elo had wailed thinking her sister was going to die. Being the elder one and aware she was scaring her kid sister, Ewoma composed herself. “I’m not dying,” she had smiled wanly. Wrapping a big towel around herself, Ewoma went downstairs to call her mother.
“Don’t you know you shouldn’t call me at this time?” Mary Aghogho had said immediately she got on the line.
“Mummy please come home,” Ewoma had urged. “I’m ill.”
“I’ll be home in the evening. My goods are arriving today.”
“But mummy, I’m bleeding. Blood’s all over me and…”
“Ewoma! Drop the phone. This is how I make money to put food on the table. If you are ill, call the doctor.” Then the line went dead.
Ewoma then called her father and was rushing her words when he cut her short.
“Ewoma, you worry too much,” Joseph said. “Besides, why do we have a doctor? You know his number. Call him.”
“Daddy, please…”
“Ewoma, a journalist is coming to interview me and I can’t come home.”
When Ewoma hung up, her eyes had filled up with tears.
“Ewoma, are you alright?”
It was the gateman. He was standing at the door watching her. She nodded and got up to return upstairs.
“Ewoma,” he called again seeing her blood stained towel. He had heard the terror in her voice earlier. “What is it?”
Her head was downcast. Her mother had always warned her never to make conversation with their male workers. “I’m bleeding,” she said. “I don’t know why and mummy and daddy wouldn’t listen.
“Oh,” he had managed. “Come with me, my wife will help you.”
After a long hesitation, Ewoma followed him to the boys’ quarter and his wife did help.

When Mary Aghogho returned home, she heard what happened in a different way. A maid had seen Ewoma coming out of the boys’ quarter with the gateman, and Ewoma’s towel had been blood stained. That night, the gate man and his wife, their sixteen-year-old son Ben, had been thrown out of the compound. That night, Ewoma had received the beating of her life for no just cause. “Harlot,” her mother had called her. That night, the seed of hatred had been sown in the hearts of Ewoma and Elo against their parents.

Two years later, Ewoma had returned home from school in an elated mood. For two years, since the night that the gateman and his family had been ungraciously evicted, Ewoma had nursed a guilty feeling.
When then, mistakenly outside her school gate she had bumped into a rigid figure and discovered it to be Ben, her penitence took her words away. He had been aware of her plight and had eased her down by telling her they were all fine except for his mother who died. He had asked to see her again and that explained Ewoma’s mood.

They became friends, very good friends. She would shower him always with gifts and money since her parents’ put her on a big monthly allowance since she turned fifteen. They never questioned what she did with it. It wasn’t until she met Ben that she began to spend her money. During the time Ewoma was planning to go abroad to finish her studies, Ben was working on going also. Whenever Ewoma collected money for the man helping with her travel arrangement, she collected over and worked on two passports. Their visa came in that way also and they left Lagos the same day. If her parents had accompanied her to the airport, they would have seen Ben, but it so happened that twelve-year-old Elo and the driver were the ones who accompanied Ewoma.

In New York, Ewoma had discovered she’d been deluded. Ben did not love her. Never loved her. She had walked in on him in bed with another girl and he had shown no remorse. He had thrown her world apart. He told her she deserved whatever came her way, considering what she had cost his family.
“You believe that was my doing?” Twenty year old Ewoma had inquired.
“Ben I…”
“Get out!” he had cut her short.
Ewoma tried reasoning with him, but he wouldn’t listen. She had to learn the hard way that all he ever wanted was revenge. He hadn’t been in front of her school by accident. He had been waiting for her. Ewoma went her way refusing to think Ben was where he was because of her. She cursed her mother silently.

Elo replaced the handset gently. She wasn’t really shocked, but she felt bumped. Tobo is the gentlest person she’s ever met. For him to drop such a bomb was new to his behaviour. He wanted the marriage much more than she did. He was crazy about her; she was very certain of that. He just couldn’t wait to have her all to himself. “God! He did dump me.” She sat down on the edge of the sofa.

“Elo.”

Elo turned. Her mother had just walked in. Elo did her best not to let her irritation show on her face. This is the same woman who plainly ignored Ewoma at one important moment of adolescence. The same who threw Ben and his family out in the cold night, her Ben, the man she really loves.

“Tobo is a cheat,” Mary Aghogho said. “He and his family will pay for this horrible scandal. I can already imagine the papers.” She sat down.

Same story, Elo noted. Her mother cared less about her daughter’s feelings. Her social status was more important.

“Your father and I have concluded it is best you went away for a while,” her mother said. “Until the heat is off. I don’t want you going to London now, and you’re having an abortion. Imoni’s bastard won’t be welcomed here. I have fixed an appointment with Dr. Timi. He will be here by 1:30 p.m to drive you to the hospital. After the operation, you’ll stay with him for two days, then off you go to New Jersey to be with Ewoma.”

Wherever the smile materialized from at such a predicament, Elo knew not, but she smiled. Her mother the fixer was taking care of everything to suit herself and her husband. Elo said nothing. She knew she should this time around, but she wanted their decisions for once to fall back on them like a piercing sword.

“God this is bad.” Mary Aghogho shook her head. “The only reason why your father and I agreed to this marriage was because of the achievements it would have brought. With Imoni’s connection, your father wouldn’t struggle so much with his candidates in the next elections in Delta state. And vice versa you see, because Imoni knows that with your father’s connection, he would secure his pending contracts easily. God! My poor husband! The Imonis should burn in hell. They’ve always despised us. Such wickedness! It keeps disseminating and it makes me sick to the bone.”

The phone rang.
“Don’t touch it!” Mary stopped Elo. “Could be a journalist, how I detest them.” She got up and made for the phone.
Elo listened attentively.

“That’s the matron of Women for Change Movement,” Mary Aghogho said as she hung up. “Since there’s no wedding, I’ll just go over and talk. I really have to be the chairperson of the committee that will plan the next conference.”
“They’ll pick you mum,” Elo said.
Mary smiled and left the sitting room.

Elo sighed. “Oh God. Money, influence, it never ends.”
“They’ll soon meet their waterloo.”
Elo turned. Ewoma stood behind her.
Ewoma smiled and touched her sister’s head. “I’ve been standing here. She saw me alright. She wouldn’t acknowledge me at all. I’m still the disgraceful daughter who married a pauper of no standard.” Her brows closed together. “Are you alright?”
Elo’s eyes averted. “Trying to think.”
“Let’s go out Elo.” Ewoma came around to sit next to Elo on the sofa. “This house is being a bloody jinx on us.”

Elo studied Ewoma. She knew how disappointed her sister was. “I’m really sorry,” she whispered.
Ewoma made a face. “Say no more. The chairs, the walls – every damn thing in this sanctuary of inflicting pains on survivors – have ears. Let’s go out.”
Elo tried to smile. “Mum fixed an appointment for me to have an abortion. Dr. Timi will be here in an hour time.” As Elo expected, Ewoma burst out laughing. “From frying pan into the blazing furnace.”
Ewoma nodded. “Their waterloo is closer than I thought. Jesus have mercy.”
Elo looked down. “I called.”
Ewoma hesitated, trying to grasp what Elo meant.
“I called Tobo, no response.”
“Oh.” All Ewoma’s irritation was conspicuous. “You didn’t.”
“I deserve an explanation,” Elo said eagerly, wishing Ewoma would understand.
“You didn’t love him.” Ewoma crossed her legs. “Be thankful the wedding is off. No wedding is far better than an ugly divorce.”

Elo shook her head. “You don’t understand. I really am relief to say the least, but him. Tobo loves me to a fault. He wouldn’t even give it up last night when I tried to tell him I didn’t want the marriage.”
Ewoma was open mouthed. “You told him that?”
Elo shrugged. “He had to know I didn’t feel the same way.”
“Wait a second sis! Why the hell did you accept to marry him?” Ewoma asked, and quickly held up a finger to stop Elo’s reply. “Let me guess. You thought you were in love with him. That was before you ran into Ben right?”
“You’re loquacious,” Elo noted.

Ewoma studied her younger sister’s sick countenance. Her sister is confused. Ewoma began to see the possibility that Elo could be in love with Tobo. “You are not in love with Ben. Believe me. You’re infatuated. Ben doesn’t deserve your love.” Ewoma sighed. “Not again. He shouldn’t fool you twice.”
“You don’t have to judge him because of what happened between you guys. That’s a long time ago,” Elo told Ewoma.
Ewoma adjusted herself. “Ben is batty. He wants only one thing. Revenge.”
Elo shook her head. “He’s changed. You ought to know that. All the years of devotion to this family.”
“Devotion to this family is time on his hands, waiting graciously for the opportune time to strike,” Ewoma explained. “What is this? Ben, our topic of discussion? I can’t believe this. We have far bigger problems at hand.”
“I’ve got no problem,” Elo said. “Tobo called off the wedding. It wouldn’t be the first time this is happening. The people who’ve got problem with this, is mum and dad. Talk about their name making negative headlines. All I want is out.”
Ewoma stared at her. “So you can be with Ben?” Ewoma asked tentatively.
Elo giggled. “Do you have a problem with that?”
Ewoma nodded. Her sister needed to be saved now before she lost Tobo completely.
Elo tapped her gently. “Don’t be jealous sis, you’re now a married woman.”

To be continued tomorrow

2 Likes

Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by zayzee(f): 12:45pm On Jun 16, 2015
Two

Growing up in solitude and without friends that her parents wouldn’t doubt, Elo became a girl of her own. She made a world of her own, where none existed but herself. The only one ever let into her world, is her dear precious sister, Ewoma.

When at twelve, Elo had to part with Ewoma, her life changed. If she had persisted, Ewoma would have stayed, but Elo wanted her sister to be happy. If going to school abroad would make her happy, Elo thought, then abroad it must be. They spoke on the phone everyday. The day Ewoma didn’t call, Elo had fidgeted about in fright thinking the worse might have happened to her sister. She had had a restless night and the day after, had woken up with a hangover. Depressed, the lonely fourteen year old, had gone to school and returned without achieving anything. That day also, Ewoma still didn’t call. In the privacy of her room, Elo had lit a candle and had said every prayer she knew from
being Catholic. Just when she was getting ready to go to bed, the maid had come for her. Ewoma was on the phone.

With a heavy heart still, Elo had picked up the phone. “Hello.”
“Hi Lo.” Ewoma always called Elo, Lo, when she wished to calm her kid sister. “You sound …what’s the word?”
“You didn’t call yesterday,” Elo complained in a shaking voice. “I was scared, I thought you’ve probably been hurt.”
Ewoma had laughed. “I’m here now. Sorry about yesterday. I was very busy.” She didn’t tell Elo what had transpired between Ben and herself the day before. Elo was just a kid of fourteen and wouldn’t understand.
“When are you coming home?” Elo had inquired.
There was a long hesitation. “I’m sorry kid, I’m not coming.”
“What?”

Ewoma tried to explain, she had work to do. She didn’t want to return home to her parents. They found out about Ben. “I’ll keep calling.”
“It’s not the same!” Elo had cried. “I’ve been looking forward to seeing you again! Now I’ll never see you again!” she sounded so desperate.
“Of course, you’ll see me Lo.”
“Don’t call me Lo! You said you love me.”
“I do honey. It’s just that I can’t stand those two; mum and dad that is. Let me work, Elo. I’ve got to figure out something. Mummy and daddy wouldn’t let you come abroad. But if I have enough money, and I come for you, nobody will stop me. I just don’t want to depend too much on their money. I’m a big girl and I’ve got to be independent.”
Elo had cried that night to sleep. Her sister in two years only was terribly transformed into an American. Talking about independency and all.

Ewoma didn’t return home to Nigeria until she was through with her schooling. Elo, nineteen then, wasn’t home to welcome her sister, because she was in England schooling. Their everyday phone calls had seized about four years before Ewoma returned. They had fallen into the routine of yelling at each other over the phone, and when Elo finally persuaded her parents she wanted to school in England, she didn’t tell Ewoma about it.

Ewoma who had returned for the summer was determined to see Elo, so she extended her stay despite her parents’ hostility towards her protruding stomach.

Ewoma had been the one at the airport when Elo’s plane touched down.
Elo had been shocked to see Ewoma. They hadn’t spoken for two and a half years. They hadn’t seen each other in seven years and Elo was angry with Ewoma.

“I have prayed and hoped that I shouldn’t recognize you, the next time we met,” Elo had said.
Ewoma who hadn’t expected a warm embrace took it well. “It seems your prayers weren’t answered.”
“You know, I didn’t expect anyone to meet me here. I know the kind of parents I have. I was going to grab a cab home, and I’m just going to do that.” Elo loaded Ewoma as she grabbed her bag.
“Now, will you stop being a bitch for heaven’s sake? I’m your sister you know,” Ewoma gave out, her voice rising.
Elo had chuckled. “You abandoned me, Ewoma. And please, don’t make a scene around us. Mum and dad wouldn’t love such publicity.”
Ewoma had heaved a sigh of relief as she stepped forward and collected Elo’s small bag. “Let’s go home.”
“Why didn’t you at least tell me you were going to England?” Ewoma inquired as soon as the car was on its way. “Let me guess, you thought I didn’t deserve to know.”

“I didn’t think,” Elo corrected. “I believed you didn’t deserve to know and I was right.” Elo looked out of the window.
“I came back just to see you,” Ewoma said.
Elo smiled and faced her sister. “Isn’t that thoughtful of you? I’m really touched. But guess what… no thanks! You can go back for all I care! I once had a sister. Unfortunately I lost her,” Elo said with so much rancour.

They both didn’t let the presence of the driver deter them.
“Would it make any difference if I told you your parents asked me not to return home?” Ewoma asked, trying to melt her sister.
“I wouldn’t believe you,” Elo said. “I learnt years ago that you are the daughter of the father of all lies. And please Ewoma shut up! I’m tired.”
The rest of the journey was covered in silence.

The noise kept growing as she moved restlessly on her bed. Then suddenly her eyes shot open and quickly focused. She was back in Nigeria.
“That noise,” Elo grumbled as she sat up.
“I am leaving,” a voice yelled.
“And don’t you ever come back, imagine the disgrace.”
“Oh my God!” Elo jumped out of bed and was in front of her bedroom door, in a matter of seconds.
They both stopped to acknowledge Elo’s presence.
“Go back to bed.” Elo was told.
Elo fixed her gaze on her mother. They haven’t seen in more than eighteen months. The first thing she says to her daughter is, “Go back to bed.” Not “How was your trip?”
“What’s going on? Why the noise?” Elo inquired.
“Not your business, go back to bed,” Mary Aghogho insisted.
“She wants me out of this house at this time,” Ewoma said. “In the middle of the night.”
“Don’t wake your father!” Mary Aghogho warned.
“My father!” Ewoma remarked. “That’s all you care about. Your precious husband, Joseph. I’m your daughter. Can the both of you be real parents for once?”
Mary Aghogho was about to fire back when a voice stopped her.
“That’s enough!”
They didn’t realise his presence.
“I had a very tiring day, I need peace to sleep,” Joseph Aghogho said as he came closer. “Elo how was your trip?”
Before Elo could answer, Ewoma spoke up.
“Glory be to God. At least he inquired about something.” Ewoma in her full anger retorted. “Holy Mary has blessed Joseph her husband.”
He faced his eldest daughter. “You think we don’t love you girls?”
Ewoma hesitated. “You have a real big way of showing it.”
“How are we supposed to react, Ewoma? After how many years abroad, you return heavily pregnant. Look at you.” His hand waved up and down. And you saw the gossip magazine. You got the front page.” “UNWED MOTHER TO BE.”
Ewoma turned to look at Elo. They held gaze for a while before Ewoma slipped into her room and shut the door gently.
“Oh God!” Mary Aghogho heaved a sigh. “We don’t deserve this.”

Elo waited behind her door until she heard the fading footsteps. She left her room and slipped into Ewoma’s.
Ewoma was sitting on the bed putting her things together. She looked at Elo. “Anything?”
“I’m sorry,” Elo managed.
“Don’t apologize on their behalf.”
“I mean me. Forgive me,” Elo said. “At the airport and on our way back. I shouldn’t have said those things.”
Ewoma smiled. “I understand. I would have done the same, had the position been reversed.”
“Please Ewoma, don’t try to make me feel good. I’m really sorry,” she said and sat down. “I’m glad you’re here. I’ve been dreading coming home.”
“I’m leaving tomorrow,” Ewoma said.
Elo didn’t say a word.

Ewoma kept on with her packing. “I’m getting married.” She looked at a silent Elo. Ewoma touched her. “Did you hear me?”
Elo smiled. “Congratulations!”
“Another reason why I came was to inform them. Ewoma explained. “Oreva and I actually got married a year ago, but his family insists on doing things the right way. And we don’t want Sidney to have any kind of issues regarding family troubles.”
Elo raise an eyebrow. “Sidney?”
Ewoma smiled. “I did a scan. We are having a daughter. We’ve already named her.”
Elo shook her head. Her sister has really changed.
“Mum and dad aren’t giving me the chance to explain,” Ewoma said.
“You can’t just leave that way,” Elo protested.
“I’m leaving,” Ewoma finalized. “I mustn’t be present at the bride’s prize. Oreva’s parents will find a way to see daddy. They are still mad at me over Ben,” Ewoma said. “I don’t know how they discovered Ben and I travelled together. Main reason they told me not to come home. I disgraced them, according to mum. They actually stopped sending me money. I had to work.” She shook her head. “Just for an idiot, Ben.” She looked at her sister. “Remember Ben?”
Elo nodded. How did her parents find out about Ben? “I met Ben,” she said gently, hoping Ewoma wouldn’t read anything into it.
Ewoma hesitated. “He’s in England?”
Elo nodded and looked down. “Were you guys… lovers?”
Ewoma’s heart was in her mouth. “Elo, please don’t confirm my thoughts.”
Elo shrugged. “I’m in love with him.” She met her sister’s eyes.
“Holy shit!” Ewoma swore. “Please don’t tell me you guys have gone all the way to bed.” Her voice was hard.
“I’m nineteen!” Elo protested.
And it’s pretty difficult to find virgins at nineteen. Ewoma almost said. “He’s going to hurt you Lo.”
Elo smiled. “Where did Lo resurrect from?”
Ewoma couldn’t help smiling. She reached out and played with her sister’s hair “You’re still my kid sister, even though you are all grown up and so tall.”

Elo insisted they stopped talking about Ben. That night both girls went to wake their parents up. Elo was the spoke person.
A month later, Ewoma’s bride price was paid.

2 Likes

Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by zayzee(f): 12:51pm On Jun 16, 2015
Three

Shortly after her return to England, it didn’t take long for Ewoma’s words to come true. Ben jilted her. Elo had been heart broken. She called Ewoma who had just had her baby and broke her sad news. Ewoma had consoled her and invited her over for a week. Elo couldn’t talk her way out of it so she found herself spending a week in New Jersey.

At the end of her stay, Elo felt stronger and determined. She vowed men wouldn’t be a part of her life in the near future. Elo succeeded in keeping men at arms’ length until she graduated.

Years later, she was standing along the Airport Road, mad at herself. Her taxi had broken down. She cast an angry look in the direction of the driver who was fumbling over the engine. So much for turning twenty-two today, Elo thought bitterly. “It definitely wouldn’t have cost them anything to send a driver to pick me up.” She berated her parents openly.
“Madam, you talk to me?” the taxi driver asked.
“Are you fixing this car or are you flagging down another one?” Elo inquired.
“Remain small. I sabi mechanic work well well.”

Elo hissed. The sun was terribly hot. She had just left a terribly cold winter. Elo’s eyes followed a Jaguar that sped past her and she smiled. She loved the car. After a while, tired of standing and left with no option, she sat inside the taxi, after sending the driver off to get another taxi.

“Hi.”
Elo opened her eyes and stared into the brownest eyes she’s ever seen. Where did he come from?
“Hi,” she returned and looked around. The Jaguar that passed some minutes earlier actually reversed all the way back and was packed in front of the taxi.
“I saw you standing when I drove by earlier, but I was doing eighty and couldn’t brake on time. I had to hurriedly reverse, praying nobody beats me to offering my assistance.” He spoke in a fluent British accent.
Elo didn’t know what to say.
“So where’s the driver?” the guy inquired.
“I sent him to fetch another cab,” Elo said gently in the same accent. She could bring it up whenever she wanted. She refused to be oppressed.

He regarded her. “I have a feeling we’ve met before.”
Elo shook her head.
“Are you just arriving from England?” he inquired.
Elo nodded.
He consulted his watch.
Elo smiled. She knew what he was thinking. “I thought I should patronize a Nigerian airline.”
“Oh.” He laughed. “Next time girlfriend, your comfort first. How long was your flight delayed?”
“Six hours.”
“Goodness, you must be tired.”

Elo smiled. He was now getting on her nerves. She never has patience for guys since her episode with Ben. “Are you going to tire me out the more with gibberish talk, or are you going to offer the assistance you stopped by to offer me?”
He smiled his surprise away. “Where are you going?”
“Festac extension, Amuwo-Odofin extension, I don’t know. What do they call that area before the bridge that goes into Festac Town?” she asked.
He laughed. “And you live there? Come on.”
Elo picked up her arm bag and hand luggage.
He looked again. “And the rest of your things?”
Elo shrugged. “Left behind by the amazing airline. Nothing of importance anyway.” She smiled as he held open the door for her to get into the passenger side.

They hadn’t driven for two minutes when Elo spoke up.
“If you don’t mind…” she stopped. “Did we get introduced? Elo Aghogho, and you are.”
He hesitated. “Tobo,” he said and smiled. “If I don’t mind what?”
“Are you from Delta State? Tobo is short for Otobore. That’s my dad’s middle name,” Elo hinted.
He nodded. “If I don’t mind what?”
Elo hesitated. “Oh yes. I don’t want to seem ungrateful, taking advantage of your kindness okay, but honestly I’m hungry. All I’ve had in the last fifteen hours is tea and biscuits.”

Five minutes later they sat opposite each other having lunch. Elo was really hungry. She didn’t utter a word until her plate was empty.
“There’s more,” Tobo said.
Elo laughed. “You will think I’m a glutton,” she said. “I’m okay, thanks.”
“I love ladies who know how to eat.”
She smiled. “Then you’ll love me.” She sighed. “I really was hungry.” She looked at his plate that was still half full. “Not hungry?”
“Nope.”
“Can we be on our way then?”

Tobo settled the bill and they left. He saw her hesitation as he held open the door for her to get in the car.
“I want to ask another favour off you,” Elo said and laughed immediately. “Chief Joseph Aghogho would kill me if he hears of this. His daughter.” She shook her head.
“Ask me.” He hoped he sounded convincing.
“Do you live alone?”
Tobo didn’t expect that question.
“Hell! I’m sorry, really. Let’s go.” She got into the car.
Tobo got in behind the wheels and looked at her. “I live here, in Ajao Estate. Alone. Do you want to come home with me?”
“If you don’t mind,” Elo said after hesitating.
“A beautiful girl like you? On one condition though.” He smiled at her inquiring look. “It’s okay as long as it wouldn’t get me into trouble with your family. I know who Chief Joseph Aghogho is.”

Elo smiled. “Don’t worry. My parents have no idea I’m in the country. Unless I call them they never call. Although, I called to inform them I’ll be arriving, they wouldn’t fret if I failed to show up.”
“When last did you see them?” Tobo asked.
“When I was nineteen.”
“How long ago or recent was that?”
“Three years,” Elo said adjusting. She looked up to his surprise look. “What?”
“You’re twenty-two?”
Elo felt insulted.

Tobo noticed. “Don’t get me wrong. I thought you were nineteen or twenty.”
She smiled. “I actually turned twenty-two today.”
“Okay, that says it. I’m taking you to my place.” Tobo started the car and winked at her. “We’ll celebrate your birthday.”
Elo thought for a while, afraid she had made a wrong impression. “Em, I think I’ve changed my mind. I want to go home.”
Tobo didn’t stop. “Suddenly afraid?”
“I’m not,” she said to quickly.

His hand fell on her shoulder, and for a brief moment, his eyes wandered from the road into hers. “I can promise you one thing. There’s no way I’m going to force Aghogho’s daughter into my bed. I don’t want to get into any trouble, okay?” He sighed and shook his head, cursing the day and his luck silently. Chief Ogheneovo Imoni ought to hear this. No. See this to believe it that his son, Tobo was being a good Samaritan to an Aghogho. And she doesn’t even know it.

Elo stayed the night. They had talked about England and Nigeria for so long that by the time they checked, it was already six p.m. She had to leave though she was reluctant. She really enjoyed talking to him.

Tobo didn’t want her to leave. It wasn’t always that one found a friend that shared same likes. The girl was intelligent and really sweet to talk with. But she’s an Aghogho.
As he walked with her down to his car, he held her hand in his. “I wish we could go on talking forever.”
“Could stay the night,” Elo had said.
“Why don’t you?” Tobo had asked.
She smiled up at him. “Should I?”
“Yes, please.”
That was how they talked into the night. Tobo had walked her to his guest room and they had said good nights like old friend.

The next morning he walked into the guest room with a breakfast tray. He forgot to knock and it was too late to turn back. Elo was still sleeping peacefully in the nude; the clothes she had on the day before were scattered carelessly on the floor. Tobo walked further into the room and dropped the tray. She was beautiful. He couldn’t take his eyes off her. He bent over and picked up her clothes. After arranging them, he sat down beside her on the bed.
“What are you doing?” Elo’s voice was light. She wasn’t sleeping.
“Watching you sleep,” he said. “You’re beautiful.”
Elo dragged the sheet from the other end and covered what she could of herself. “That’s not polite, Tobo.”
Tobo stood up. “I am very sorry,” he apologized. “I brought you breakfast, please forgive me,” he added gently and left the room.
For over twenty minutes, Elo didn’t move. When she did, she went into the bathroom.

Another twenty minutes later, she walked into the sitting room. Tobo was watching news.
“Hi princess,” he smiled at her.
Elo was unsmiling. “I’ve got to go.”
Tobo switched off the TV set. He got to his feet.
“I can find my way,” she said.
“You don’t have any money on you,” Tobo said.
Elo giggled. “Says who?” She asked and started for the door.
“Elo…”

“Thanks for your hospitality Tobo,” she smiled. “You’re quite different from Chief Ogheneovo Imoni. Though I confess I don’t know him, but judging from I hear from my parents, you’re different.” She hesitated to see the surprise on his face. Did he really think she would just spend the night at anybody’s house? Fortunately for her, a car drove into the compound.

The chief was out of the car before it stopped.
“Good morning,” she greeted Tobo’s father. What a day. Her father certainly would hear of this. She recognized the man from his many photos that appear in the papers.
“Good morning my daughter,” he looked at her in hesitation. “I’m sorry, I don’t know you.”
Elo smiled. “Not facially sir. I’m Tobo’s girlfriend, Elo Aghogho.” She had to hold herself strong to stop the laughter that was playing in her. The man had the reaction she expected.
“Which Aghogho?”
“Joseph Aghogho,” Elo provided. “Would you mind? I’m kind of stranded. Can your driver take me home? I don’t want Tobo to drive me, we had a bad fight.”
Chief Imoni was speechless.
“Thank you chief.” She stepped to the driver and told him where she was going to.
The driver looked at Chief Imoni who nodded his consent.
Elo smiled. Can he refuse this? The press always had a way of finding out things. HOW CHIEF OGHENEOVO IMONI TREATED THE DAUGHTER OF HIS RIVAL.

That wouldn’t do his image any good. Their rivalry ended at themselves, not extended to the children. Aghogho and Imoni always said, though, the children had never been friends. “It’s like Romeo and Juliet.” Elo said as the car got onto the road.

To be continued tomorrow

2 Likes

Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by mzzkismet: 6:18pm On Jun 16, 2015
occupies d first seat, following...........I like d way u write nellyme, come o, come and read this Sweet story
occupies d first seat, following...........I like d way u write nellyme, come o, come and read this Sweet story
occupies d first seat, following...........I like d way u write nellyme, come o, come and read this Sweet story.....keeping space for you
Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by zayzee(f): 9:30pm On Jun 16, 2015
mzzkismet:
occupies d first seat, following...........I like d way u write
nellyme, come o, come and read this Sweet story.....keeping space for you

Thanks plenty plenty.
Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by nellyme(f): 9:54pm On Jun 16, 2015
mzzkismet:
nellyme, come o, come and read this Sweet story.....keeping space for you

Oya make I rush read am...tnx for d seat dearie...u r d best!
Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by blackmarya(f): 9:52am On Jun 17, 2015
nellyme:

taking my seat beside her oya zayzee come and kontinu
Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by zayzee(f): 9:07pm On Jun 17, 2015
Four

It was two weeks later that Elo’s parents heard the news. As usual, whenever Imoni and Aghogho appeared as guests at the same charity show, each would try to outdo the other in donations so the press could write on it.

On this fateful day, Aghogho had donated more. Later, when a reporter asked Imoni how he felt been outdone by Aghogho, he laughed it away. “Generosity is good,” Chief Imoni lectured. “Chief Aghogho is a philanthropist and I respect such people.”

“But you both were trying to outdo the other in the various donations. Don’t you think it is time your rivalry calmed down a bit for some friendship? The both of you together could come up with one great idea of a business that might change Nigeria forever,” the reporter threw.
Chief Imoni laughed. “Of course, we are planning a new political party where I can run for president, and Aghogho my vice. That’s the best way we can change Nigeria forever.”

“Are you just joking, chief?”
“No!” Chief Imoni gave out. “Why lie? We are no longer at each other’s throat. After all, my son and his daughter are romantically involved. A nice couple.”

“Elo!”
Elo almost jumped out of bed as the door to her bedroom was flung opened. Her mother entered; a paper in her hands. Before she said anything, Elo had already guessed.
“What is this?” Mary Aghogho threw the newspaper on the bed. Open mouthed, Elo looked from her mother to the newspaper and back.
“A newspaper of course.” Gone are the days that Elo feared her parents. For the past two weeks, she’s given her parents nothing but hell.
“The front page, read it,” her mother thundered.

Reluctantly, Elo picked up the paper and scanned the headline.
“IS THIS THE STORY OF OUR ROMEO AND JULIET?”
Elo hissed and dropped it. “If it’s about Tobo and I, it’s true,” she said.
Her mother hesitated. She had been hoping, Chief Imoni was just spreading false information. “You can’t be serious.” The words were heavy but gentle.

“What mummy?” Elo got out of bed.
“Are you yelling at me?” her mother inquired.
Elo threw her a hot gaze. She really wanted to continue her beauty sleep. “I don’t ask you that question when you yell at me.”
“I’m your mother!”
“And I’m your daughter!”

They held gaze. Elo was enjoying the frustration on her mother’s face. Let her mother know how it felt like to be ignored. After a while, the woman sighed. “You’re going to England tomorrow. I think you should start inquiring about beginning your second degree.”
“I’m done with schooling and for now, England is just too cold. I missed you guys. I want to stay home.”

The woman giggled. “Elo don’t do this. Your father loves you very much.”
Elo nodded. “That’s why I ought to spend time with him. I missed him terribly.”
Mary Aghogho sighed. “I’m talking about Imoni’s son.”
“Tobo is a man.”
“Yes,” Mary Aghogho agreed. “But not for you.”
“Okay, then I’ll find a truck pusher and make you guys proud.”
“Elo don’t tempt me,” Mary Aghogho warned. “Your father and I want the best for you, a responsible man, with a great sense of achievement. One who’s focused and knows what he wants. One who wouldn’t marry you for your father’s money.”
Elo smiled and sat down. “It seems you’ve just mentioned Tobo. It’s only his father that is as rich as daddy, right mummy? Who is richer by the way?”
Her mother shook her head and left the room.

Elo picked up the newspaper and read her story. By the time she was through, she was angry. How dare Chief Imoni? Tobo was history. They hadn’t crossed path again since their first meeting. Elo had once nursed the feeling that they would make good friends that night at his place. But after waking up to him watching her sleep, she couldn’t imagine them being friends and besides, he was a damn Imoni. She disliked the Imonis as much as she disliked the Aghoghos, because both families were alike. Talk about influence and power of money.

For two weeks, she did nothing except spend money recklessly. Two days after she had gotten home, Elo bought a brand new Honda Jeep on her father. She didn’t tell him. She simply went to his accountant, lied and got the money she needed. Her parents almost killed her. Elo insisted that the money was meant to be spent. They let that one pass.

On a Sunday, when Elo had accompanied her parents to church, she had pulled another big joke. The building committee of the church was about raising money for a new church building. After the chairman of the building committee launched open the fundraiser, members of the congregation, were invited to support the new building. The church needed about thirty-three million naira.

“How much have they raised so far?” Elo had asked her mother.
“About seven hundred thousand,” her mother had replied.
After being silent and listening to people’s contribution, Elo asked if she could contribute.
“Of course,” her father had encouraged.
“I’m standing here on behalf of my family,” Elo had spoken into the microphone. “The Aghogho family contributes five million naira to the project of the building.”

Everywhere had been quiet. When Elo was about leaving, the announcer called her back to verify. Elo repeated herself and the ovation was deafening.
Elo watched her father fill the acceptance form for the contribution. Her father had been all smiles.

The minute the gate closed behind them at home and they alighted, Joseph and Mary Aghogho had both screamed together.
“Five million!” Joseph said.
Elo had looked from one stricken face to the other. “Is it too small a donation?”
“Too much!” Mary yelled.
“Ha,” an open mouthed Elo had been confounded. “But, but I…I… was trying to live up to what I should as an Aghogho. You guys donate a lot to the society.”
“The society is not the Catholic Church!” Joseph had put in. “The Catholic Church has money. Jesus! Jesus!! Jesus!!!”
“But you said it was okay for me to go ahead,” Elo had said, not believing her parents were mourning money given to a good cause of God; the same God who blessed them with wealth.
“Yes. I thought you wanted to give five thousand,” Joseph had explained.
Elo had gotten angry. “I would have been ashamed to stand there and say my name and donate five thousand naira,” she had thrown. “Why did you send me to England to study business administration? So I can join the business when I graduate. Live like you and behave like you do. There are other ways the entire country can hear that we donated five million naira to the church.” Elo had kept on. Her parents had walked away.

Elo waited until she was sure her parents had had dinner, before she joined them downstairs. As a little girl, she never went to sit with them in the sitting room. They had made it quite obvious from the very beginning that the children shouldn’t disturb them in any way and the big house made sure each person remain isolated as long as necessary.

But Elo was going to join them today. She saw no reason why she couldn’t carry on the air as her parents do and pretend they were one great and loving family.

“I just got off the phone.” Was the first thing Mary Aghogho said when she saw her youngest daughter. “The stupid journalist wanted to know if the news is true that you and Tobo are involved. Of course I said no.”

Elo sat down. No need increasing their blood pressures. “I’m going back to England tomorrow.”
Her mother smiled. “Now you’re being the daughter I carried in my womb. Have you gotten your ticket?”

Elo nodded. After reading that newspaper in the morning, Elo had thought for a long time, what it was she wanted to do at home. She began considering her mum’s advice to return to school, but soon pushed it aside. Later in the day, before noon precisely, she had received an unexpected visitor. Her parents had been long gone. When Elo walked into the sitting room to see Tobo, she had been nervous.

“I’m sorry for dropping in on you this way,” Tobo had said.
She had hesitated, not liking the way he was staring at her. “It’s okay. Do you want to sit down?”
“I came to apologize,” Tobo said.
“About?” she asked as she sat.
Tobo took her example and sat down. “That morning at my place.”
“That’s history and…”
He had cut in. “I annoyed you, Elo. I shouldn’t have remained in the room seeing that you were undressed. It’s no way for a gentleman to behave. I probably gave you the wrong impression and I want you to forgive me.”
Elo had watched him silently. “I’m not annoyed,” she said. “Besides I kind of asked for it. I really forgot I was in someone’s guest room. I had no right going to bed naked.”
Tobo smiled. “We are both taking responsibility here.” He paused. “I also want to apologize about today’s newspaper. My father is something else.”
Elo had smiled. “Actually, that is my fault.” Then she had told him how she met his father outside the day she left his place.
He had laughed. “Great. Now, I should have a light mind.” He stood up to leave and Elo walked him to the gate. At the gate, Tobo had faced her.
“Truth is, I came here because I wanted to see you. Right now, there seems to be no words, so I’d just leave before I cause problems for our families.”

Elo had remained silent.
“Join me for lunch,” he had invited.
Elo had hesitated. “No. I’m busy.”
Tobo nodded.

And before she knew what he had in mind, he had grabbed her there and kissed her. Later, as Elo closed her bedroom door, the answer she’s been looking for came in less than fifteen minutes. She had left the house to buy her ticket back to England.
Her mind wasn’t following what her parents were saying. Elo knew one thing. She had to stay away from Tobo. For the sake of their families and for the sake that he has shaken up her world. She couldn’t get the look in his eyes off her mind, that morning she woke up and saw him watching her sleep in his guest’s bedroom.

And today, he kissed her and Elo realised Tobo will be trouble. Ben hurt her. Ben is a man. Tobo is a man. They hurt the opposite sex.

2 Likes

Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by zayzee(f): 9:11pm On Jun 17, 2015
Five

Tobo Imoni showed his other side when he called off the wedding. That morning he had told his father over the phone that the wedding wouldn’t hold. When Chief Imoni tried to find out why, Tobo insisted on being left alone, and he hung up. He knew his father was going to do the necessary thing, by visiting the Aghoghos’ so he didn’t fret much.

Knowing very well that his parents would come over, Tobo packed a bag and checked into a hotel. He was worried because despite the fact that he called off the wedding, by their tradition, they were married until her family returned the bride prize.

Tobo could have his pick of women. He had never had one woman only in his life at any time, until he met Elo. The women in his life were always aware of the others and they felt okay with it, because Tobo was a catch of a lifetime. Elo was different. The attraction was almost immediate and he noticed that for the first time, he really lost his heart to a girl he wasn’t certain he could have.

The day he had visited the Aghoghos residence on the pretense of apologizing for what his father had pulled, his intension was to take Elo out. Although she had refused his invitation to lunch, he had left a happier person after the kiss. He was sure she felt something for him as well.

Then the very next day, he received a shock when Elo showed up at his doorstep with a bag.
“Can I come in?”
Tobo looked over her shoulders to see if she was alone.
Elo noticed and smiled. “I’m alone. Actually, I’m on my way to London. Thought I should see you and say goodbye.”
Tobo pulled her inside. “England?”
Elo dropped her bag. “I know what you’re thinking. My parents ought to see me off. They don’t do that. Even if they had offered, I would have convinced them not to. I wanted to see you,” Elo fixed her eyes on him.
“Why did you kiss me yesterday, Tobo?”

A surprised Tobo quickly saw her problem. He had scared her, and she was running away in confusion. Tobo had stepped forward and had taken her in his arms. Elo ended up spending a week with him before returning to England. That one week had passed through them, with promises of the future.

Although, they intended to see more of each other, they never crossed paths again until a year later when Elo was beginning her second-degree.

Tobo had gone to England for an extended period of time to monitor a business of his; at that time, he was concentrating on his different business investments. Their relationship had begun slowly and it went smoothly. He made her aware of the fact that he was very crazy about her. He couldn’t understand why. He had met more beautiful women than Elo. He was aware of the rivalry between their families, but that didn’t inhibit him. Although Elo led a carefree life, taking life as it came, Tobo was sure she felt something for him. There were months when she would feel so removed from earth that he would wonder what she had to bother about. She made him feel so insecure. She would always tell him that she couldn’t and wouldn’t trust a man. He suspected she’s been hurt before, but he never asked and she never offered to tell.

All Tobo wanted was to have her, as his always, and he knew the only way that could happen was through marriage.
The day he had proposed, Elo had neither been excited nor depressed. She had smiled casually and nodded. “Of course,” was her sweet reply. His father had cursed. He wouldn’t hear of it that his son would marry an Aghogho. The Aghoghos also were against it from the start. But they were the first to accept it. They had welcomed Tobo when Elo took him home. He had told his father and his father had felt ashamed that his rival had beat him to something again, so he quickly visited the Aghoghos and the story led to the bride prize, at which time, bride and groom were absent.

“It’s all bleeped up,” he said. He wasn’t in the best of moods. He closed his eyes and laid his head against the sofa.
Bolaji didn’t know what to say. They’ve been friends since their childhood. He knew when his friend started the relationship. Initially, Bolaji had protested, but later, he came to realise how Tobo really felt about Elo. When Bolaji met Elo, all his protest ended. The couple did fit together.

He was supposed to be the best man.

Bolaji had rushed over to Sheraton, when Tobo broke the news to him over the phone. They were in Tobo’s suite. Tobo was trying to explain his actions without success. “You should call her.”

Tobo’s eyes opened. He thought of that earlier, but he’d vetoed the idea. There is something he desperately needs to confirm which is why he wouldn’t contact Elo. That girl. The thought of her was painful enough. How could he have lost himself so bad to Elo? “Why?”

That surprised Bolaji. “If you can’t explain your actions to me, your closet friend, then maybe you could confide in the woman you love.”
In the woman I love. Tobo thought. “God!” He exclaimed as he pushed himself off the sofa. He walked over to the window and stood there. He was still trying to believe he did the right thing. “I did it for her,” he said. “She’s scared of something and doesn’t want the marriage. I can’t force her, can I?”

“You avoided that girl for months, only to show up less than 24 hours to your wedding.” Bolaji put in. “You owe me a lot of explanation but I won’t ask.”

Despite the mood, Tobo chuckled. Bolaji and his old ways. He would tell you, then end up by saying he won’t ask. “You’ve already asked.”
Bolaji smiled. “I just don’t like seeing you this way man. If you will be happy without Elo, then to hell with her, but…”

He stopped. He looked at Tobo, who was staring at the door. They both heard the knock again.
“Did you order room service?” Bolaji inquired.

Tobo shook his head as he approached the door. “Maybe they want something.” He pulled the door opened. Part of him wasn’t surprised to see her standing there. One way or the other, someone would have come.
“Surprised?” she asked him in a cool way.
He managed a smile. “Come in.”

She entered. “So you decided to hide here after causing such havoc.” She didn’t sound bitter.
“Relax,” Tobo said. “First of all, be seated so I can offer you something.”
She giggled. “If my sister finds out I’m here, she would skin me alive.”
Tobo nodded in understanding. “She won’t do it in my presence though.”
“We need to talk Tobo.”
He nodded. “I know that. Meet my friend, Bolaji. He was going to be my best man.” Tobo did the normal introduction between the two.

Bolaji got up and excused himself.
“I hope I’m not chasing you?” She felt guilty.
Bolaji smiled. “Not at all.”

They were silent minutes after Bolaji left.
“Why did you call off the wedding, Tobo?”

He looked at her. What does she understand about the whole set up? Probably nothing. “Is she upset?” Tobo asked.
Ewoma rolled her eyes. “Are you looking for a way to reduce your guilt? That’s my kid sister we’re talking about!” She was losing her temper.
“How did you find me?”
Ewoma smiled. “My sister knows you, Tobo. She has spent enough time with you, to be able to predict you in any predicament,” Ewoma told him. “We were just talking and she dropped it casually. ‘I know he’ll be at the Sheraton now. Poor Tobo. It’s all my fault.’ What was all her fault?”

He shrugged.

“She’s pregnant Tobo.” She watched his reaction. “Not by you,” Ewoma added and she saw the changed reaction. He was visibly hurt. She wasn’t a monster, but she had to do this. “I thought you should know why she wanted you guys to stop the wedding last night.”
“She was cheating on me.” Tobo felt his world ending.

Ewoma shook her head. “It was a one night stand with an ex who happened along.”
“Shit!” Tobo’s fist was clenched.
“She loves you.”
“Oh please, Ewoma!” He was on his feet. “And assuming I didn’t call off the wedding?”

Ewoma hesitated. She had no idea where this was heading, but she loves her sister so much to risk anything. “She’s an honest person. You know that. She wouldn’t have taken the vows.”
He was pacing around. “God, why this?”
“I need your help, Tobo.” Ewoma decided to lay her cards on the table. “First, you have to understand that I’m not being considerate about your feelings. Fact’s that, I love my sister and I’d do anything for her.”
He stopped pacing and looked at her. “I’m listening.”
Ewoma hesitated a second only. “You are going to marry her Tobo, today.”

To be continued tomorrow

2 Likes

Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by mzzkismet: 10:35pm On Jun 17, 2015
zayzee:

Thanks plenty plenty.
I am humbled ma, thanks for the updates
Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by mzzkismet: 10:36pm On Jun 17, 2015
nellyme:

welcome on board dear

1 Like

Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by nellyme(f): 11:57pm On Jun 17, 2015
Zayzee, all I can say is wow...great story you got here. I think Elo is confused...Tobi hmmm, what a hasty decision. I dnt blame him shaaa. waiting for more updates
Definitely following!!!
Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by zayzee(f): 9:08am On Jun 18, 2015
Six

The silence in the room was growing terribly on her skin. Ever since they arrived, he’s gone berserk. She had tried talking to him, she loves him. Now the realisation that her sister has always been right dawned on her at the wrong time. If she had listened to Ewoma, she wouldn’t be here now.

“You are a fool,” he told her, all his anger reflecting on his face. “A graduated fool.”
She was quiet. This has done it.
“You sit there and tell me that I’m responsible for that thing in your womb, when I know the kind of girl that you are?”

Her eyes met his. “I don’t sleep around.”
He nodded. “You slept with me.”
“That’s different, damn you!” Elo was crying.
“You were already another man’s fiancée when you slept with me,” he reminded her. “You could do more.”

She wiped her face and got her feet.
Ben stopped pacing around. “Where are you going to?”
“Home,” she said gently.
“Your mother said…”

“To hell with that!” Elo’s eye blazed. “If she ever finds out about this Ben, you’re ruined.” She turned and went to the door. There was nothing more to say. She had to leave immediately. She needed to clear her mind. How could she have messed up this way? Before Ben showed up again, she was contended having Tobo Imoni. Although she doesn’t exactly love him the way he does her, she had been contended. Then Ben in all his glory came and jostled her mind. Tobo who’s always treated her with respect. She can’t go to him. He did the right thing calling off the wedding.

Elo’s hand grabbed the door handle.
Ben watched her quietly.
“What is the meaning of this?” she asked in a gentle voice as she turned to face him. The door was locked.
He shrugged. “I am carrying out your mother’s instruction. She wants me to take you to New Jersey.”
She tried to hide her fear. “Ben?”
“You’re not leaving here, unless in my company.”
Elo sighed. This can’t be happening. She knew this man well. No, she didn’t. He was wicked.

The car stopped at the gate.
Ewoma hoped she was doing the right thing. “Can you forgive her?”

Tobo had been quiet throughout the ride out here. He was still trying to decipher Elo. The girl he loves cheated on him. Was that what she wanted to talk about last night! God! Tobo knew he contributed to the problem. He had been so insecure. All he wanted was to own her then be at ease. He had stayed away from her, avoiding communication so she wouldn’t change her mind about him. Communication could have built them and brought them closer. They would have understood themselves properly. Maybe they weren’t ready for marriage, but he knows they belonged. He should have developed the relationship. How could he have left her for three months, only to show up hours to their wedding day? But that doesn’t justify her action.

“Tobo?”
He faced Ewoma. “I don’t know.”
“I always believed she never loved you, Tobo, but today, I saw through her mask after you called off the wedding. She doesn’t even know how she feels about you. My sister is a confused girl.” Ewoma shook her head and alighted. Tobo did the same.
The gate opened before they knocked. Ben looked from one to the other. “I will be damned,” he said smiling. It’s been years since he last saw her. She looked beautiful as ever. Much more matured. Ben looked from one to the other, “It’s the iced princess,” he said with sarcasm.
Ewoma regarded him. “I thought you’ve grown up, Ben?”

He giggled. “What have growing up got to do with reality?”
Ewoma was about to say more, when Tobo spoke up.
“Where’s Elo?”
Ben regarded him. “Who are you?”
“Her fiancé.”
“Oh!”
“Where’s she?” Ewoma demanded.
“Gone.”
Ewoma and Tobo exchanged looks. “Gone to where?” Ewoma inquired.

He stared at her a long time before answering, “Home.”
“That’s impossible,” Ewoma blurted out.
Ben hissed. “Look, go and talk with your mother. I’m on my way out.”
He pushed the gate wide and went back to his car. He couldn’t look into her eyes.
Tobo pulled Ewoma back when she wanted to follow.

Mary Aghogho was speechless.
They were in Joseph Aghogho’s study. The same place they received the Imonis, when their visitors had come to drop the news that Tobo had called off the wedding.

Ewoma didn’t say more. She waited for either of them to break the silence.
“Does Tobo know this?” Joseph Aghogho asked. “Is that why he stopped the wedding?”
“No,” Ewoma answered and told them how Elo wanted it to end last night. “But then, I told Tobo this afternoon.”
“You did what?” Mary Aghogho sat forward.

“Mummy he has a right to know why Elo was behaving funny,” Ewoma explained. “He called the wedding off, but he did it for her.”
“They could have gone ahead and…
“Mummy! Elo wouldn’t have gone to the church. She is carrying another man’s child. Where is she anyway?”
“With Dr. Timi,” her mother answered. “To have an abortion.”
Ewoma wanted to say something, when her father spoke up.
“If Tobo wasn’t responsible for the pregnancy, who was?”

Ewoma faced her father. How would her mother take this news? She’s been making lots of decisions without inquiring about the people concerned. “Ben was responsible.”
“Who?” Mary Aghogho didn’t believe she heard right. “Dr. Timi?”
“His name is Ben!” Ewoma said strongly as she shook in complete anger. “Just what did you expect mum? Because of him you almost cut me away. Then all of a sudden, you picked him up. Family Doctor? You have no idea how he’s affected our lives. Elo’s and mine.” Ewoma fell quite.

Mary Aghogho said nothing. She picked up the phone and dialed Dr. Timi’s number. The phone wasn’t answered. She hung up.
“What does Ben hope to achieve from this?” Joseph Aghogho asked. There was a knock on the door and a maid entered.
“Who?” Mary Aghogho asked.
Ewoma guessed at once. A reporter. Ben Timi has gone over the edge. The biggest scandal was here. “I’ll handle it.” She got up and left the study. Her mother who’s always handling things was speechless.

They still couldn’t contact Ben Timi. They had no idea where Elo was. The rumour was fast spreading. The evening papers had the story of the ended wedding. It will be tomorrow before Ben’s news will make the stand. The Aghoghos were very worried.
“I wish I knew where Elo was?” Joseph Aghogho said pacing the sitting room.

Ewoma had just returned home from going to brief Tobo of the latest event. The guy should be prepared for the news tomorrow. She noticed that he hadn’t seemed worried about Ben’s news with the reporters, but then the dirt was with the Aghogho’s not the Imonis. Ewoma strongly believed Ben had kidnapped her sister. He wanted them to suffer. He just couldn’t forgive the Aghoghos for throwing them into the streets years back. The illness his mother picked up then, had killed her. Ben was still furious. He had refused to let go off his anger. His revenge is causing a lot of havoc. She doesn’t believe for once that Ben would harm Elo. He wouldn’t. What she doesn’t have a clue about is what he really wants, and what she wouldn’t think about is the way he stared at her.

“I wanted peace,” her mother started. “I knew I wronged the Timis but I didn’t really get the picture of what happened that day.”
‘That’s because you didn’t believe me,’ Ewoma wanted to say.
“I saw Dr. Timi and I recognized him because he looks like his father, and I had gone to see a sick friend at the hospital. Dr. Timi was attending. We talked and I felt I had to repair the damage. Make him our family doctor and pay him huge money to compensate the past.” She shook her head. “He seemed grateful. But then I pay him big money monthly for being our doctor. Not that we’re always ill.”

Ewoma shook her head. “Money still talks,” she whispered to no one.
‘Now he has done this,” Mary Aghogho’s hand came down hard on the table. “Those circle of women who envy me will indeed have something to talk about. Ben is biting the same fingers feeding him.”

Ewoma wanted to say that the guy was already successful before her mother happened along, but then, she remembered that she herself made Ben who he is today with her parents money.
“This is bad news,” Mary Aghogho relented. “They won’t make me chairperson of Women for Change Movement anymore. Oh my God!”
“Mum!” Ewoma was stunned. She couldn’t take the attitude anymore. Was her mother thinking about Elo at all? “We are talking about your daughter and you are interested in being Chairperson? The hell with influence!”

The silence stretched between them. Her father should behave like the man of the house for heaven’s sake. Ewoma could go mad. Her sister and their damned name! Where exactly did they misplace their priority?
“My daughter?” Mary Aghogho’s voice was tired. “All you girls have ever brought us is nothing but pain in the neck. The both of you.” She looked at her husband. “Right Joe?”
Ewoma’s heart was beating fast, waiting for her father’s answer.
The man nodded. “I warned you.”
The woman sighed.

“What does that mean, pain in the neck?” Ewoma asked quickly on the spot. Her eyes darted from one to the other. They were watching her. “Mum, Dad… talk to me. You love us. We are your kids.” Her voice was shaking. “If things ever went wrong, or if you never seem to understand us, it is because you both never tried to play your roles as parents.” Ewoma swallowed. “Ben’s case could have been avoided today, if you, or you,” she pointed from one to the other, “had listened to me on the phone. His father wouldn’t have seen it fit to take me to his wife to clean up. What could I have known about bleeding every month, mum?” Her tears were flowing. “Don’t blame us, whatever dirt your name enters, it’s you! Your fault mum!” She got to her feet. “It’s your fault,” she added slowly, as if to assure them of the meaning of her words. Ewoma wiped her face on the back of her hands, and walked out of the sitting room.

1 Like

Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by zayzee(f): 9:12am On Jun 18, 2015
Seven

The love of money is the root of all evil. Money talks. Everyone has a price. He has seen money make decision all his life. He has even influenced people with money. Tobo Imoni knew he could achieve this fit. He loved to see people melt at the mere power of money. Perhaps one reason why he loved Elo so much was because he never used money to lure her into his bed. He used his charms. She is in money, has been all her life, just like him.

He couldn’t stop worrying about her. That girl loves him. He didn’t believe it just because Ewoma said so yesterday, but because he knows her. Her problem was letting someone control her. He wondered how she grew up, considering how she talks about her parents. “They don’t care.” She always said. But then, she loved them. It hurt her they didn’t care enough. She was afraid of loving, and not been loved back. She knew Tobo loved her, but her fence stayed in place. Why? And why fall for Ben Timi? A guy who’s broken her heart before. One who has been with Ewoma before. Tobo had no answers.

Late last night, Tobo had done what he would have done only for a loved one. He spent money, just because of Elo. “I really love her that much.” He told Bolaji, who was driving.

“Let’s hope that mad doctor wouldn’t approach another gossip paper. I don’t fancy buying the media’s silence.” Bolaji spoke his mind. “Let’s just hope they keep their side of the bargain.”

Tobo laughed. “They signed my papers. It’s a legal agreement. If the publisher or his editor goes ahead, they will be out of business.”
“The money you paid will give them a new trade,” Bolaji said.

“They will keep the bargain.” Tobo was confident. He gave the publisher ten million naira to make sure the story didn’t appear in his paper, or any other print in their line of business. “They will settle the other editors, if the need arises.”
“Corruption,” Bolaji noted.
“We didn’t start it.”

FRESH GIST didn’t carry the story that day. Ewoma was stunned. How come? They have been trying to get to Ben without success. Where was her sister? She was sick of been around her parents. They’ve been calling all their friends making explanation for the story that could have done a little damage. The story that somehow, just didn’t appear.

Every evening paper was before her parents. They’ve scanned here and there. The story was nowhere.
Ewoma dialed Tobo’s number on her handset. That made her remember Elo. Why didn’t she take her handset with her? She frowned realising that nothing would have changed. Ben was unstoppable. He could have collected it from her.

“Ewoma, hi.”
“I know what you did Tobo,” she said.
“What?”
“The story. You stopped it, didn’t you?”
There was a silence on his side.
“I wonder why we didn’t think of it. It isn’t every time that we have the privilege of knowing what the text of a story would be. We could have stopped it.”
“You guys have enough to worry about with Elo gone,” Tobo said. “No news yet?”
“None,” Ewoma said. “You are being so unexpectedly helpful.”
He hesitated. “Traditionally, she is my wife,” he said. “More reason is because I love her, Ewoma.”
“I understand. Thanks Tobo.”
“Say no more. Just take it easy, everything will be fine.”

For sometime, Ewoma remained at the balcony. How couldn’t Elo have seen all this in Tobo? What is it about Ben? Here she is, helpless, no idea where her sister was. Her parents cared less. It is Tobo, who is doing her father’s job. She shook her head. The Imonis can’t be what her parents have painted them to be. A bad father wouldn’t raise a son such as Tobo. What does that say about her parents?
She turned. That was her mother’s voice.
“Ewoma come quickly!”
“What is it?” Ewoma inquired on getting there.
Mary Aghogho glared at her. “What did I say yesterday?”
Ewoma was tired. “Remind me.”
“I said you girls have been nothing but pain in our necks.”
Ewoma nodded. “I remember. What has that got to do with anything now?”
“This.” Her father held out a letter.

Ewoma collected it and read. She sat down slowly. All this money? Her parents wouldn’t. Not for Elo.
“You see what you girls cost us?” Mary Aghogho asked. “Half a billion naira. Why?”
“Ben, Ben.” Was all Ewoma could say. “I think it’s time the police came in on this dad.”
“No.”
She gasped. “No? We are talking about Elo!”
The man was quiet. “If Dr. Timi doesn’t get anything. He would be fed up.”
“What about Elo?”

“Eventually, he will get tired of holding her.” Mary Aghogho’s voice was stern. “That is it Ewoma. There’s nothing more to do. I won’t get involved with more dirt, while my name escaped one.” She got to her feet. “Are you staying? You can’t do anything for Elo. Take the kids and go home. Your husband would be pleased to have his family back.”

Ewoma was unaware of her tears. Elo doesn’t deserve this. She shouldn’t have gone with Ben yesterday for the so-called abortion. Ewoma is a lawyer, but wasn’t licensed to practice in Nigeria. At the moment, Ben isn’t guilty of anything. The letter was typed. No one could prove that he had Elo. His being associated with Elo yesterday was because Mrs. Mary Aghogho asked him. Ben Timi could say, “She left alone.” Who could say otherwise?
It wouldl be their word against his.

“There is just one thing I am trying to prove, Elo.”
She remained quiet. The tea in her hand has gone cold.
“Your parents don’t love you. Mine, loved me. Your mother took my mother away from me. The pain of the being alone, took my father away years later. They loved me.” He stopped and watched her. “You have your parents, they don’t love you. I don’t have mine, they loved me.”
“What do you want?” Elo asked.
He shook his head. “I just want to see your parents suffer.”
“And me too.”
“No, no. Not you Elo. You did nothing. It was your sister that came into our little shelter and your mother blew up.” He shook his head. “Not you.”
“But I’m here,” she said. “I fell in love with you Ben. You wanted it to happen this way. You were using me.” Her voice was low.

He hesitated. “I’m sorry you feel that way Elo, but really it isn’t about you.”
“But it’s me who’s in the middle!” She yelled losing control. “Any idea what the story is out there?”
“It’s not your name. It’s their name.” He felt bad the story was dropped.
“Bleep you Ben!” She was crying. “You are putting them through hell. You deserve to die.”
He looked at her. “I see you are speaking your mind.”
“I’m sure my parents feel the same way.”
He laughed. “You just don’t know your parents, Elo.”

Tobo listened to the police officer. “Just keep my name out of it,” he said after he finished. “Keep the whole thing out of the news.” He made other arrangements and left. Ewoma was waiting in the car.
He got in behind the wheels. “Just relax.”

She said nothing. He drove her home. “Don’t make rash decisions. I know how you feel at the moment. Just think of your sister.”
Ewoma nodded. “Thank you.” She opened the door.
“Ewoma.”

She stopped. “If you want you can move into my place. I’m not there at the moment.”
She smiled. “What can I say?”
“Say yes.” He drummed on the wheels. “I’m waiting. Get your kids and bags.” He watched her walk through the gate. What a small word. Just one happening triggered a lot. Elo would have to return to this mess. God! It hurts to think what she could be going through.

“You are lying.” She wouldn’t believe him.
Ben shrugged. “Believe what you want. I am saying the truth.”

Elo willed herself not to listen. How can she believe such lies? No way. Not from lying-lips Ben Timi, bleeped up Doctor. “You’re jealous. You’re angry. You will do anything to avenge. You’re crazy, Ben.”

He shrugged again. “You say what you want, I’ll believe what I want.” He laughed and told her the price he demanded from her parents.
“You are sick. They won’t pay.”
“Then, they don’t love you. Isn’t that what we are trying to prove? That they don’t love you?” He shook his head. “Wrong set of people.”
“They don’t have that kind of money.”
“Convert three hundred million dollars to naira, Elo.” He told her. “That is what Chief Aghogho made from his Atlanta investment three months ago. How many Nigerians get named in Fortune Magazine? Your father, or Chief Aghogho made it. Your fiancé surprisingly too.” Ben laughed. “That guy has money, Elo. You know how to pick your destiny. From Aghogho to Imoni. I can imagine. Tender fortunes.”
“I don’t care for Tobo’s money.”
“That’s because you don’t know how much he’s worth.”
“Bleep you, Ben.”
“We did already. Unless you want a repeat.”
Elo fell silent.

He laughed. “Now you are scared of me touching you.” He went towards her and touched her cheeks. “I’m not like that, Elo.”
She turned her face away. “Then release me.”
He stood back. “Soon,” he said. “I have to satisfy myself that the rich can also be touched.”
She faced him. “What’s the use Ben? Your parents are dead.”
“I’m alive.”

She hesitated. “I’ve asked you this before, what exactly do you want?’
He hesitated. “Let them admit they were wrong. That woman you call mother is buying my anger.” He shook his head. “Is she bigger than an apology?”

Elo was stunned. “That is all you want?
He nodded. “It burns me she wouldn’t apologize. Half a billion, what will I do with all that money? I’m comfortable without the salary your mum’s been paying so far.” He sighed. “I’m mad at her, Elo. She deprived me of my most important need.”
“People don’t live forever.” Elo reminded him.

“I’m not talking about my parents,” he whispered. He has never talked about what he was telling Elo. He tried to ignore it, but it was useless. Maybe the reason he took Elo captive was because she was the only one who would listen. He raised his eyes to see her watching him. “Did you ever wonder why I started an affair with you knowing fully who you were?”

She hesitated. “After Ewoma told me you guys were lovers, I did wonder, but I brushed it aside.”
He sighed. “I don’t mean … I never meant to hurt you, Elo.”
She nodded. “I was the one who fell in love with you.”

He watched her. “Being with you made me believe I could still have Ewoma. A kind of compensation.” He went forward and picked up her drink and swallowed it all. “I never intended for us to get intimate at all. I just wanted to be a good friend and get Ewoma back gradually, but then, things happened differently, which was why I was mad at myself and had to leave you. Because I ruined my plans of getting back with Ewoma. I lost her love forever. I love her and still do.”

Elo was quiet.
He stared at the empty glass. “I didn’t realise it then, because I was only bent on taking out my anger on her.” He looked down. “I bleeped up damn it!” He threw the glass against the wall and smashed it. He sat down and buried his head in his palms. “I lost her,” he said in a whisper. “She’s married. She’s happy. Another guy took my place, because I was blinded by my anger.” He shook his head and looked up. “Mary Aghogho’s fault again.”
God! Elo thought. It was bad.

Elo was in the room. She was still thinking about Ben’s revelation. Would they have remained together if nothing had gone wrong? But Ewoma is truly in love with her husband. A sad story. And me?

She turned to face the wall. Where was she? Did she ever love Ben? Infatuation? What about Tobo? Why did she accept to marry him? Could it be that she loved Tobo and never knew it? A lot of questions needing answers. And that news Ben gave her. How true was it? His parents couldn’t have lied for lying sake.

“Elo.”
She turned to face the door.
“You can go.”
She sat up. “What?”
He dropped his key on the table beside the door. “Take my car. I doubt you know the road. This place is the middle of nowhere. But then, I want you out of here.”
She should be happy, but she wasn’t. “Ben…”
“Please don’t.” He held a finger up.
She sighed.

To Be Continued Tomorrow

1 Like

Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by SofiaAmrozia(f): 6:29pm On Jun 18, 2015
Hi. You are doing a great job. #following all the way
Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by zayzee(f): 6:59pm On Jun 19, 2015
Eight

Funny. Someone you never knew now becomes a saviour. That was what Tobo became to Ewoma after she and her kids left the Aghogho’s mansion. Her only problem at the moment was Elo. If Elo should surface, what next? Ewoma knew she would not marry Tobo. The girl is too conscientious. She wouldn’t think it right. But Tobo loves her sister. Ewoma loved the love he had for her sister. He is going through so much for them.

“Mum, when is she coming?”
Ewoma looked down at Sidney. The girl has been inquiring about her aunt. She doesn’t understand why she never became a little bride.
“Soon,” Ewoma said. “Come on honey, go to sleep. It’s late.”
“Promise she’ll be here tomorrow.”
Ewoma smiled. “You never know about promises dear. Close your eyes. Good night.”
“Good night mummy.”

Ewoma returned to the sitting room. Tobo was getting ready to leave. “I feel guilty of chasing you from your home.”
He smiled. “I booked that suite for a week.”
She nodded. “You can easily lose the money.” She sat down. “Not much, considering the Tobo Imoni I know in the States. I don’t know about the one standing before me, but such coincidences in names and semblance?” She shook her head.

Tobo was amused. Something to take his mind off Elo. He sat down. “What do you know?”
Ewoma smiled. “All my clients are investors. Important investors have a way of knowing themselves.” She watched his surprised smile. “Your being in South Africa wasn’t because of staying far from my sister alone. It’s too big a business to abandon. At that stage.”
His looks fell. “That doesn’t sound right. The only excuse is Elo. I was scared of what she will say. I could have operated my business from anywhere with the telephone.” He sighed.

Ewoma’s cell phone rang. “Who is this?” She didn’t know the number. “Hello?” Her mouth opened. She looked at Tobo.
Tobo waited for her to end the call. Her countenance was set.
“I have to go out.” She was very relieved. Elo was alright. Almost.

He watched her. “No secrets Ewoma. If that call concerns Elo, I should know. I’m also worried about her.”
Ewoma was lost. “Well…” She cleared her voice. “She doesn’t want you to know. She doesn’t want to see you.” Ewoma was sympathetic. “I’m sorry.”
Tobo shook his head. “No,” he refused. “If you are leaving here to see her, we go together. Did she say where she’s been?”
“Him.”
Tobo nodded. “I should have that guy arrested.” He got to his feet. “Where is she?”
Ewoma hesitated.
“Come on, be sensible Ewoma. At this time where are you going? What about the kids? They are sleeping. Are you going to pack them with you?”
Ewoma sighed. She didn’t think of the kids. Elo would be mad at her if Tobo showed up instead of her.
“Okay,” Tobo spoke up. “We’ll put Sidney at the back of the car, you can manage with Tony on your laps. I’ll drive.” He picked up his keys.

He hasn’t come this far to be deprived of seeing Elo.
The stress on the kids would be too much. Ewoma didn’t want that. “Just be careful with her Tobo.”
He frowned, not understanding her.
“Go alone,” Ewoma said. “I want to see her yes, but I can wait.” She gave him the name of the hospital.

Tobo sat in the waiting room. He was a confused man. He had no idea if what he was doing was right but he was just following his heart. Elo has to be alright. That was his priority. He wasn’t going to force her to do what she doesn’t want. If she doesn’t want to see him, fine. But, that would be after he has spoken to her.

He looked up. What does he have to say to her? She cheated on him. Led him falsely….
“Mr. Imoni.”
Tobo looked in direction of the voice.
He followed the nurse. “How is she?”
“Sleeping,” the nurse replied.

Elo had just had her pregnancy terminated under the guise that it threatened her life. It definitely was an arrangement between her and the doctor; that was the only way she could get an abortion in such a hospital. She had checked herself into the hospital and made the arrangement, before calling Ewoma.

“You can only see her. You can’t stay, it’s past visiting hours.”
“I’m staying!” He wasn’t going to let anything stop him now.
“It’s against…”
“Nurse,” Tobo cut her short. “Where is the doctor?”
“Inside with the patient.” They stopped before the room. Tobo opened the door and walked in. He introduced himself to the doctor and presented his problem.
“You can stay as long as you want.”
Tobo thanked the doctor.

As he promised, he later called Ewoma to let her in on the latest. Thirty minutes later, a sleepy voice drew him out of reverie.
Elo was awake. “Where is my sister?”

Tobo got up and walked up to her side. Arms crossed, he stared at her. He couldn’t believe it was two years ago, on a morning in his guest room that he had stared down at a naked Elo. He had no idea they will come this far. “Hi,”

Elo looked away. How could she stand his stares? She was a betrayer.
“I’m sorry about the stress,” Tobo said.

Easy words to say. She couldn’t tell him she was sorry without telling him what she was sorry about. “Tobo, I didn’t expect to see you here.”
“She had to stay with the kids, so I came.”

She nodded, and then frowned. “What, where…” She stopped. “You guys were together when I called?” Why did she think of that?
“She is at my place. It’s a long story.”

Elo closed her eyes. Definitely Ewoma must have told him everything. She opened her eyes. “Did she tell you?”
Tobo hesitated. “Don’t stress yourself. There’s plenty of time to talk.”
She giggled. “I’m fine, so?”
“She told me some things.”
She was quiet. “Because it wouldn’t be enough, I wouldn’t apologize.”
“Better,” Tobo consented.
“I will feel much better if you left,” Elo had to be sincere with him. He knew she was dirty, a betrayer. She couldn’t stay in the room with him.
“I’m on my way then.”
“One minute.” She stopped him before he opened the door. “Whatever you thought I felt for you was sincere.”

An enormous weight fell off Tobo that instant. He could still have her.
“I just don’t know Tobo, I’m confused okay.”
He nodded.
She met his eyes. “Could you do me a favour?”
“Anything.”
She smiled at the ‘anything’ he said. “It’s not Ben’s fault.”
He frowned.
“I know you, Tobo.” Her voice raised a pitch. “It really wasn’t his fault. The guy is sick.”
He threw his keys from one hand to the other.
“Return his car,” Elo said. She gave him the address of where she had driven from that afternoon. Ben had been right about the place been in the middle of nowhere, but then, she wasn’t stupid. She read sign boards and memorize the address.
Tobo collected the key from her. She was giving him access to the mad doctor.

They went with two cars. Ewoma drove Tobo’s own. The kids were with her.
It took time to trace the building. Ewoma couldn’t understand what Ben could be doing in a place like this. Ben. She really must talk to the guy. How could he put Elo through that stress? Ewoma hasn’t seen Elo yet. She argued with Tobo when he suggested she should go over to the hospital and stay with Elo. Ewoma just wanted to see Ben. There is one thing she is burning to do, and until she does it, she wouldn’t relax.

She parked behind Tobo. “Sidney darling, I won’t take long?” Ewoma was looking back at her kids. Sidney nodded. “Sure you can handle Tony?”
“I’m a big girl mum,” Sidney replied. “He’s just a kid.”

Ewoma smiled and alighted. She walked up to Tobo, who was waiting at the front gate of the compound.
They heard the approaching footsteps. The bolt went backwards and Ben pulled the gate open. On seeing Tobo, he was ready to say something rash, when he noticed Ewoma by his side.
Tobo put out his hand to Ben, who at first ignored it, thinking it was a friendly gesture. He put out his hand also and collected the keys when he noticed it. His car was back.

Tobo turned and walked away. He knew Ewoma wanted to talk; he was giving her the privacy. He didn’t expect what came next. The two slaps were definitely hard for Tobo not to hear them. On turning, he saw Ewoma hitting Ben anywhere her hands fell on. Tobo’s steps were quick.
“Tobo leave me alone, I need to teach him a lesson.” Ewoma was furious.
Tobo held her back. He never saw this fury. She hid it well.
“I can only say that I am sorry,” Ben said.
“You are very stupid!” Ewoma spat and struggled out of Tobo’s grip.
Ben nodded. “I know I am.”
Ewoma just shook her head. What was the use? “Tobo let’s get out of here.”
Ben watched the car fade away. His was just a blind case.

Watch out for the conclusion tomorrow

1 Like

Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by SofiaAmrozia(f): 7:25pm On Jun 19, 2015
Thankz for the update. #still following
Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by zayzee(f): 12:56am On Jun 21, 2015
Nine

Elo and Ewoma sat in the study with Mr. and Mrs. Aghogho. Four of them had issues to deal with. Convincing Ewoma to postpone her journey back to the U.S was hell. She wanted nothing to do with the moneymakers who cared less when Elo needed them most. It was at that particular time they chose to uncover what they’ve covered for so long. “All you girls ever brought us is nothing but pain in the neck. The both of you.” Ewoma turned to look at her. It was Mary Aghogho who said that two weeks ago.

Initially, she didn’t want to tell Elo. But Elo couldn’t understand why Ewoma moved out of the mansion. It’s just a matter of days and she would return to the States. Elo, after being discharged from the hospital went home to confront her parents. Ewoma had been there. She had no idea what Elo had to say. But after Elo asked that one question, Ewoma immediately knew that Ben must have spilled the dirt.

They aren’t their parents. Ewoma had been six when Elo was born. Her supposed mother had returned from London where she had the baby. The only consolation was knowing they were truly sisters. They are the children of a one-time housekeeper. The housekeeper who was actually employed to produce babies for the Aghoghos since husband and wife couldn’t. After Elo was born, the housekeeper left. On that day that Elo confronted the Aghoghos, both girls were told their real mother died a long time ago. The Aghoghos never knew the girls’ father because all they were interested in then, where the kids. A day later, Elo had joined Ewoma and her kids at Tobo’s place. Tobo was a different story, since he left the country without a word.

It was Joseph Aghogho who pleaded with the girls to return home, that they needed to smoothen things out.
They’ve been back at the mansion for eight days watching a new attitude of husband and wife who suddenly had love over flowing to offer them.

Ewoma couldn’t take it, she said she was leaving. They pleaded with her. Early this morning, Ewoma told them if they had to talk, they should immediately, so she could return home.

Mary Aghogho cleared her voice and the others waited. “I should apologize to you girls.”
Elo and Ewoma exchanged quick looks.
“I know I have my faults,” the woman said. “Joseph and I have faults, yes, but we love you girls.” She turned to her husband for support.
“We love you girls,” he put in. “You girls actually made our future complete. This is the future Mary and I always wanted. We never wanted things to go wrong this way.”
“I loved him Elo. Ewoma, I still love Joseph.” Mary paused. “Isn’t it strange, that the both of us couldn’t have kids? Assuming it was just one of us, the other would have been tempted away, destroying our bond of love. Call it fate, that we suffer alike.” She watched the girls. “And how do we tell our families? His would want him to take another wife, but another wife wouldn’t solve the problem. If we must remain together, then we must find a solution, and you were our solution. Love?” She shook her head. “I had a big fear of one day your mother coming to take you girls. I loved you. If I didn’t act it, I didn’t want to be attached, because if I lost you, it would have been hurtful. I’m sure Joseph felt the same, but we never discussed it out of fear. Then, then your mother died. It was sad, because she was a true friend who helped me when I needed help most.” Mary poured water into her glass and drank. “My fear became your father. What if your mother lied to me that whoever he is, or they are, know nothing about you? What if one day, somebody shows up, I want my daughters back? I was scared, but I always loved you girls. Forgive me if I’m not given to affection, but people are different. I could learn… I mean I’ve started.” She laughed.

“In other words,” Ewoma began, “you guys want to remain our parents?”
“We are your parents,” Mary said. “It’s really unfortunate it went wrong. I was under pressure. You wouldn’t understand.”
Ewoma sighed. “I’m leaving tomorrow.”
“Ewoma?” Elo cautioned.
“What dammit! I’m sick of all this and I’ve had it up to here.” Her hand went under her chin. She got up. “I think this is all some bullshit type of excuse. I’m not given to affection either.” She opened the door. “ I guess you guys would have acted a little show of love during Elo’s abduction, had she been your daughter. I don’t need your love neither do I need parents. Afterall, we find babies who are just a few days old, orphans.” Ewoma slammed the door.

Elo felt for them. Ewoma went too far. Ewoma was mad. Elo can’t imagine walking away. She has always wanted to be loved in abundance.
“I apologize on her behalf mum.”

The woman nodded.
No idea of what else to say. Elo got up.
“And Tobo?” Joseph asked.
Elo stopped. She didn’t want to think of him. “He’s not in the country.”
He looked at her closely. “You are married to him Elo, you realise that, don’t you?”
“Do we have to talk about this now?” Elo asked.
“Once and for all, we know everything is settled. I saw his father yesterday. He still feels terrible Tobo called off the wedding and I guess he has no idea about the other events after the failed wedding. He wants to know what you guys are up to. Although the both of you weren’t here, you are married traditionally, and it means you are Tobo’s wife.” He cleared his throat. “Don’t forget the church wedding is the white man’s culture.”

Elo nodded. “So how do we dissolve the marriage traditionally?”
“What?” Mary Aghogho was open mouthed.
“We are through with being married.” Elo said and left them to their surprise. She had to plan her next move. Her future.

It’s been a month since Ewoma returned to the States. That was after apologizing to her parents. Elo had not seen her off to the airport. Joseph did. Ewoma and Elo had gotten into a heated argument because Ewoma insisted Elo shouldn’t make the mistake of throwing Tobo away, by insisting the bride prize should be returned. Elo’s mind was made up.

It’s been three weeks since then and Elo now works at one of her father’s companies as a Marketing Manager. She had been fortunate because the ex-manager had only resigned a month earlier. Her father didn’t trust her that much, but she was willing to learn. Elo was bored with life that she desperately needed work to occupy her time. Three weeks and her parents hardly saw her at home. Work, work, work.
Elo believed she wa fully recovered from being infatuated with Ben, and hurting Tobo. Tobo, a good guy, deserved better than she could offer. She had no idea where Ben was. His hospital said he resigned. The one thing Elo was waiting for was for the marriage to be dissolved. Work consoled her and once she hit her bed, she fell asleep instantly due to fatigue.

Ewoma was yet to call since she left because she was still mad at Elo. Elo was determined not to call either.

Two twenty-four p.m, she rose from behind her desk. She really was hungry. After leaving messages with her secretary, in case the Managing Director called, Elo headed out of the office.

She rested against the wall, waiting for the elevator that was coming up to the thirteenth floor, where her office was, which happened to be the last floor. As she rested there, one leg tapping nervously against the wall and head down cast, she couldn’t help the nostalgia that came over her. It even pained more that he wouldn’t’ call. She remembered he didn’t call for long after their last meeting in Cape Town. Assuming they were to live as husband and wife, was this how Tobo would desert her? She shook her head and laughed. “Hm what am I thinking of?” She looked up as the elevator doors opened. She walked into the empty elevator and pushed the ground floor button.

Elo was inserting the key into the ignition when someone tapped on the window. She gasped as she looked up. She did it! It was because of her naughty thought when she was waiting for the elevator that Tobo was now standing before her. The window went down and he bent down. “What are you doing here?” She found her voice.
“We didn’t fight,” Tobo said. He went around and got in beside her. “Where to?”
“Lunch.”
“Do you mind my company?”
Elo looked at him. She sighed and looked out of the window. “It wouldn’t hurt me.” She turned the key.
Fifteen minutes later, they were having lunch.
“Very unlike you,” Tobo said.
She looked up.
“Marketing Manager?” He shook his head. “I hope you’re having a good time sweetheart.” Their eyes met.

Elo turned her gaze away. Tobo has his magic. Even then, when she was lusting after Ben, thinking of Tobo did something different to her. She could be powerless with Ben then, but with Tobo, she always melted. Isn’t that why he scares her? No matter what she says, Tobo makes her do his will. If he hadn’t called off the wedding, she would have gone ahead with it. She was sure of it. Her eyes returned to Tobo when she felt his hand cover hers across the table.

“I hate to see you sad.” He was very concerned.
She shook her head. “I’m not sad.”
“This isn’t you.” He sighed. “Let’s finish our meals.”
“What are you doing here Tobo?” she inquired. “When did you get back?”
He hesitated. “My father called me. He said unless I say yes, he would not collect the bride’s prize that your father wants to return.” He dropped his fork. “Now what the hell is that, Elo?”
She pushed back her chair and picked up her bag. “I think I’ve lost my appetite.”

Tobo caught up with her. She would have driven off without him. He stood in front of the door she opened. “I’m sorry.”
“I’m not hungry.”
“Give me the key sweetheart.” He touched her cheek. “I’ll drive back.”
Elo didn’t hesitate because she didn’t want him to touch her anymore. Before they drove off, he faced her. “Can we just talk, please?”
She nodded.
He drove her to his place.

Elo was quiet. Tobo was talking in piece, he was yet to hit the nail where mattered.
“How’s Bolaji?” She asked for a change.
“Fine, I guess.” He looked at her and took her hand. “Don’t do this to me Elo.” He raised her hands to his lips. “I will love you more than then, I promise.”
“Tobo, it’s not you.”
“It’s not you either,” he put in. “What could have gone wrong?”
Elo swallowed. “I’m doing it for you.”
“Oh God, please don’t say that,” Tobo begged. “Do the right thing for us. What do you want?”
“All wishes can’t be granted,” Elo said.
“Call me selfish, but I can’t let you go. I love you, Elo. I guess, it keeps growing, and I won’t let you inhibit it. I stay away trying to give you time to come to terms with the truth, but you keep drifting.”
“Tobo, you’re confusing me.”
He leaned over and kissed her on the lips. “I’m sorry. I just want that sweet Elo back.”
“I cheated on you, Tobo.”
“I forgive you.”
“What if it doesn’t work?” Elo asked.
He smiled. “Why don’t we try it first?”
She hesitated. “I don’t want to hurt you Tobo.”
“Why not?”

She shook her head. “It pains me.” She covered her face. “Oh God.” The next instant she was crying. “I’m sorry I messed up. I’m so disappointed in me. You… no, I don’t deserve you Tobo. How can I live up to your expectation? See? I’m scared Tobo.”
He rocked her gently.
She calmed down. “You won’t desert me Tobo?”
He shook his head. “Never.”

Ewoma deserted her once when she didn’t call years back. Her parents, the past few weeks excepted, deserted her through life. And they love her. Love and desertion now has a bondage to Elo. Hasn’t Tobo always stayed away? “You won’t leave?”
“Never sweetheart.”
She was searching his eyes. “I believe you.”
Tobo kissed her. She almost broke his heart.

It was the phone that woke her up, she grabbed blindly for it. “Hello.”
“Hi Lo, finally came down to your senses uh?”
“Ewoma?”
“I still love you sis and I heard the good news.”
Elo sighed.
She was drifting back into sleep when the phone woke her up again.
“Hi sweetheart.”
“Jesus, Tobo, you woke me up.”
“I forgot to tell you something.”
“You’ve got my attention.”
“I love you.”
“I know that, try another one.”
“Let’s go to Cape Town now.”
Elo laughed.
“I’m serious, I’m downstairs.”

Tobo watched her walk up to him. He opened his arms and she came to him. “I got this call sweetheart. Very urgent business stuff and I have to be in South Africa. I was going to call you in the morning after I’ve arrived, but then I realised we could go together. How about making our home there?” He kissed her.
Elo sighed. He almost deserted her again.

THE END.

4 Likes

Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by zayzee(f): 12:58am On Jun 21, 2015
SofiaAmrozia:
Thankz for the update. #still following

Thanks for following. Thanks for reading. If you are interested, I have two eBooks coming out in the first week of July. One is a collection of short stories, the other is a novel.
Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by zayzee(f): 1:00am On Jun 21, 2015
nellyme:
Zayzee, all I can say is wow...great story you got here. I think Elo is confused...Tobi hmmm, what a hasty decision. I dnt blame him shaaa. waiting for more updates
Definitely following!!!

Thanks for following. Thanks for reading. If you are interested, I have two eBooks coming out in the first week of July. One is a collection of short stories, the other is a novel.
Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by zayzee(f): 1:01am On Jun 21, 2015
blackmarya:
taking my seat beside her oya zayzee come and kontinu

Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by zayzee(f): 1:02am On Jun 21, 2015
mzzkismet:
nellyme, come o, come and read this Sweet story

Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by Gideon9947: 1:21am On Jul 09, 2015
Wow!,this is realy good,i love it.More ink 2 ur pen.
Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by Nobody: 5:09am On Jul 09, 2015
Wow! Ma'am, you are good. Really good.
A read like this comes once in a blue moon. I would be very much interestes in the E-books.
Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by zayzee(f): 5:33pm On Jul 15, 2015
thronekid:
Wow! Ma'am, you are good. Really good.
A read like this comes once in a blue moon. I would be very much interestes in the E-books.

Thanks. Let me have your email add and I will forward the free Ebook to you now.
Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by eniade26: 5:43pm On Jul 19, 2015
Lovely story. Kudos to you

1 Like

Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by chade(f): 11:10am On Aug 28, 2015
u r a genius.....lovely piece...tnx for sharing
Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by zayzee(f): 1:20am On Sep 16, 2015
eniade26:
Lovely story. Kudos to you

Thanks eniade26. Have you read my free eBook, Entangled Affair? You can download a free copy through www.blog.zayzeewrites.com

1 Like

Re: Underneath The Veil (a Novella) by zayzee(f): 1:21am On Sep 16, 2015
chade:
u r a genius.....lovely piece...tnx for sharing

Thanks for the kind words. Have you read my free eBook, Entangled Affair? You can download a free copy through www.blog.zayzeewrites.com

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Chukwuemeka Ike's Books - PDF Download / A Night With Him - By Zeemah Write / Emeka And The Warrior Princess Adaobi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 292
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.