Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,489 members, 7,823,135 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel (14192 Views)

The Marked: In The Spectral Existence (A Stand-alone Fantasy Fiction Novella) / All In One Night (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) / Slaves In The Soul : A Novelette (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by Yarnvibes(f): 4:51am On Feb 18, 2017
When I first started writing professionally, there were a lot of basic questions in my mind, one of which was, What are the major differences between a short story, novelette, novella, and a novel?

Novellas and novelettes might not be very common, but we often see short stories and novels. Knowing the differences, however, is still important. Although they are all works of fiction, each type has its own purpose. In this article, I will try to put light on some of the major differences between flash fiction, short story, novelette, novella, and a novel.

Beginners will find this very helpful in their writing journey. Apart from some of the basic differences in terms of word count, you will also learn a few technical points that differentiate these works of fiction.

Flash Fiction: 53 - 1,000 words
Short Stories: 3,500 - 7,500
Novellettes: 7,500 - 17,000
Novellas: 17,000 - 40,000
Novels: 40,000 + words

What Is Flash Fiction?

53 - 1,000 Words

Flash fiction (also known as short, short stories, micro fiction, or postcard fiction) are stories that take pride in their extreme brevity: some works of flash fiction have only 53 words, while others have 1,000. These works used to be referred to as "short short stories" until around the turn of the century (the year 2000), when the term "flash fiction" became the norm.

What Is a Short Story?

3,500 - 7,500 Words

The most important difference between a short story, novelette, novella, and a novel is the word count. An average short story usually has at least 3,500 words and no more than 7,500. Traditionally, short stories were meant to be read in a single sitting. They are usually published individually in magazines and then collected and published in anthologies.

A short story is one of the most common forms of writing. It is often used to describe a single event, a single episode, or a tale of one particular character. A short story does not usually involve major twists and conflicts, and involvement of various sub-plots and multiple characters is not common. A short story is basically fictional prose, written in a narrative style. However, the narrative style may either be first person or third, or whichever the author chooses.

What Is a Novelette?

7,500 - 17,000 Words

A novelette is also a narrative fictional prose. Back in the day, the term "novelette" referred to a story that was romantic or sentimental in character. To be honest, in modern times, the term is rarely used, and novelettes are rarely published singly.

A novelette is longer than a short story, but shorter than a novella. The word count is usually between 7,500 words to 17,500 words.

What Is a Novella?

**17,000 - 40,000 Words

Novellas were first introduced in the early Renaissance (1300s), but their genre did not become firmly established until the late 18th and early 19th century. A novella is longer than a novelette and is sometimes called a long short story or a short novel. Although in the past, novellas were commonly written and published, and some to great acclaim ( A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess and The Metamorphosis by Kafka, for example), these days it is considered to be an awkward length and it may be more difficult to get a novella published.

It can involve multiple sub-plots, twists, and characters. Its length constraints mean you'll find fewer conflicts in a novella than you will in a novel, but there will also be more nuance and complication than you'll find in a short story. Novellas are more often focused on one character's personal and emotional development rather than with large-scale issues. In the past, the novella was often written with a satirical, moral, or educational purpose in mind. Therefore, it usually depicts the tale or story of a single character, but as I mentioned, it can involve multiple characters. Unlike novels, novellas are usually not divided into chapters, and like short stories, they are often meant to be read in one sitting.

What Is a Novel?

40,000+ Words

The novel is one of the more common works of fiction that we encounter. A novel often involves multiple major characters, sub-plots, conflicts, points of view, and twists. Due to its considerable length, a novel is meant to be read over a period of days. The plot moves forward through many characters, actions, thoughts, time periods, and situations. The reader often feels that the story deviates and is affected by the involvement of different sub-stories and sub-plots, by the passage of time, or by the involvement of new important characters– this is considered the real beauty of a novel.

The word count of a novel is really debatable. This is because different genres have different requirements. However, a novel is usually no shorter than 40,000 words. For modern publication, editors often consider a novel one which is spread over 80,000 – 120,000 words. Romance novels, however, can be shorter than that. On the other hand, a fantasy, horror, and science fiction usually see works of greater lengths.

The word count for fantasy novels often touch the 240,000 mark. Some famous books, like the Lord of the Rings series, are famous for containing so many words. The Harry Potter series has 1,084,170 words; Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix itself has 257,045 words.

http://www.kikiotolu.com/2017/02/differences-between-short-story.html

Lalasticlala Mynd44 seun Dominique

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by GoldPencil: 5:49am On Feb 18, 2017
Go read the book Juuro: The Night Key https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1DC8OMK80D9IW
Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by Teacher1776(m): 6:43am On Feb 18, 2017
Good job. Thanks.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by veekid(m): 7:37am On Feb 18, 2017
Nice one OP

1 Like

Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by Nobody: 7:41am On Feb 18, 2017
mek I relax.....because nairalanders no like book so comments no go much here.

.the only tin weh thy sabi na
Romance and bashin all dis yayabilities.

3 Likes

Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by Akposb(m): 7:43am On Feb 18, 2017
Good one.

1 Like

Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by Nobody: 7:44am On Feb 18, 2017
News on how recession will end
Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by Nobody: 7:45am On Feb 18, 2017
Weld one @op..but how can state the difference by merely looking at the books..since one won't be able to start counting the words in each work of fiction to differentiate novella and novellete? I can differentiate short story when I see it but not novella,novellete, and novel..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by Onnasucs1(m): 7:48am On Feb 18, 2017
Hmm. Thanks op
Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by Dfinex(f): 7:48am On Feb 18, 2017
welldone @op
Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by creamylicious(f): 7:51am On Feb 18, 2017
literature teachers in d house
Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by MuyiRano(m): 7:52am On Feb 18, 2017
I love writing stories but procrastination is my major problem.
Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by inourcare: 7:52am On Feb 18, 2017
Airight.
Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by pennywys(m): 7:58am On Feb 18, 2017
Ok
Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by OlujobaSamuel: 8:03am On Feb 18, 2017
this means i never read any novel all my life, na wao. 40k+? this is serious. nice one op
Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by Ibangap(m): 8:03am On Feb 18, 2017
Nice one Op. Please can someone coach me on how to become a professional writer? Thanks
Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by BossDanniee(m): 8:13am On Feb 18, 2017
I can relate to this as an English and literary student..thanks
Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by DozieInc(m): 8:14am On Feb 18, 2017
OP Kudos. Quite an interesting and educative write up.
Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by lonelydora: 8:35am On Feb 18, 2017
I didn't know that. How will I know when I hardly read books these days
Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by Canme4u(m): 8:49am On Feb 18, 2017
Ibangap:
Nice one Op. Please can someone coach me on how to become a professional writer? Thanks
You can start by reading lot of professional work of art.

Read a lot to write a lot.
Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by Infomizer(m): 9:13am On Feb 18, 2017
What's between flash fiction and short story?

Nice work tho!!!
Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by ZACHIE: 9:22am On Feb 18, 2017
Thanks for the piece.
I have been updated
Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by kayo80(m): 10:01am On Feb 18, 2017
I think short stories start from 2,500 and not 3,500. Personally, I write novelettes and novellas...I discovered that people's attention span is getting shorter everyday. I would rather write 4 novelettes that people read from start to end than use up a whole year to write a full novel that people would start and might not finish. My opinion though.

You can check out my profile to read some of my novelettes. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by kayo80(m): 10:05am On Feb 18, 2017
You can read my latest short story here...Valentine's Day at the Zoo- https://www.nairaland.com/3629377/valentines-day-zoo-short-story
Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by wins18(m): 10:41am On Feb 18, 2017
MuyiRano:
I love writing stories but procrastination is my major problem.
you are not alone in this case bro,lol
Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by 1miccza: 10:44am On Feb 18, 2017
Good job Op
Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by Dexema(m): 10:57am On Feb 18, 2017
kayo80:
I think short stories start from 2,500 and not 3,500. Personally, I write novelettes and novellas...I discovered that people's attention span is getting shorter everyday. I would rather write 4 novelettes that people read from start to end than use up a whole year to write a full novel that people would start and might not finish. My opinion though.

You can check out my profile to read some of my novelettes. Thanks in advance.
You may not be wrong with your opinion looking at the various distractions of modern contemporary society and where it all seems to be headed. I myself find it hard finishing big books especially when I'm caught at the low points of such literary works.

1 Like

Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by Gemc3(f): 2:06pm On Feb 18, 2017
uzobaby:
Weld one @op..but how can state the difference by merely looking at the books..since one won't be able to start counting the words in each work of fiction to differentiate novella and novellete? I can differentiate short story when I see it but not novella,novellete, and novel..
Re: Differences Between A Short Story, Novelette, Novella, & A Novel by Jglad(f): 3:38pm On Feb 18, 2017
Pls which category does our Nigerian "story books" fall?
Incase I want to explain to my younger ones

(1) (Reply)

Where Can I Get 48 Laws Of Power Ebook / Achebe’s "Things Fall Apart" Named In Bbc’s 100 Stories That Shaped The World / Write Your Life Story In 6 Words

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.