Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,514 members, 7,812,600 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:58 PM

Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) (13476 Views)

Benin City, The Mighty Medieval Capital Now Lost Without Trace / CNN Inside Africa On Infrastructure Tour In Akwa Ibom - Pics / Atiku Abubakar's "Confession" On CNN 'Inside Africa'!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by blackspade(m): 9:44pm On Feb 22, 2009
Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos

[flash=425,344]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E906CPuq5Ac&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

Surprising to see CNN Africa actually showcasing something good from the continent. grin
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by mustafar1: 9:49pm On Feb 22, 2009
hmmmmm, continuity is everything.
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by tamme: 9:51pm On Feb 22, 2009
GO LAGOS!! Fashola U try o! cool

Lagos to make Eko Atlantic Dubai of Africa

The Lagos State government has restated the commitment of the Babatunde Fashola administration to the realization of the Eko Atlantic City dream project which has been described as the Dubai of Africa when completed.

This assurance was given at a Media Conference held at Eko Hotel on Wednesday 29, October 2008l and jointly addressed by the State Commissioner for Waterfront and Infrastructure Development, Prince Adesegun Oniru and the Project Consultant and Managing Director of Energyx Ltd, Mr. David Frame.

Speaking on the feasibility of the project, David Frame who described himself as a resident of Lagos for the past 18 years said, “while you may think it is an ambitious plan, we know it is feasible. It is a very unique project. It will be the Dubai of Africa when completed. We are building a city of 21st century standard. We have consulted wide and far and we are still consulting. Our initial consultations were on the perennial problems of the ocean surge at the Bar Beach. That took us as far as Holland where we got the consultants now handling the Eko Atlantic City project with a track record of over 100 years. As you perhaps know, the Dutch have a great history of battling and conquering the ocean dating back to about 400 years. Those are the hands we have employed for the Eko Atlantic City project.”

He also spoke on the credentials of the Chinese company currently handling the sand filling of the sections of the Atlantic ocean where the new city is expected to spring up saying, “CCCG of China is the largest dredging company in China. They have examined the projects and they know with us it can be done.

When completed, the Eko Atlantic City will have a city landscape that will rival that of any conquerable land anywhere in the world.
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by Becomrrich: 10:27pm On Feb 22, 2009
If i was governor of Lagos, I would not do it the way fashola is doing it. I would not try to reclaim the sea. Our people can not maintain the project. Even victoria island which most part was not reclaim have problem.

There is nothing that can be done since the project already started. But Here is a picture below. If I was governor of Lagos state. I would pay the ogun state government $1 billion  to transfer this portion to lagos and now build a new city in it. Which I have called the lagosview city.

This place have less problem and would cost less than the project, you have. It cost so much reclaim land. The money spent on reclaim of the land, could have been spent building road and use it to provide other things for the people of lagos. I think it is time to transfer some land from ogun state into lagos state.

But at least someone is there. The issue is fashola in support of the reunification of Yorubas . It is the best for us. We would be about 100 million in 20 years.

1 Like

Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by AfroCynic: 11:17pm On Feb 22, 2009
To the poster above, you have no foresight, I was very impressed by the segment on CNN Africa, it looked like it was being done properly, with adequate consultation with professionals and the concerned parties. I am proud that a Nigerian Governor is undertaking such a project, our cities need renewal and reinvestment, if Fashola is the one to raise the bar, then more grease to his elbows.
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by Becomrrich: 11:54pm On Feb 22, 2009
No, do not get me wrong. The project is a nice one. But there are option that they should have look at. The truth like you and me know. Is that we lack maintainance culture. We already have problem with victoria island. And we would have the same problem with this eko atlantic city.

Look to make it worst, you now give the project to china. I am sorry. I do not hate china. But they do not have perfect skill to do project like this. I think Dubai  was done by USA.

And what happen to Olokola. We have other coastal line closer to lagos that we can use. Land reclaim in Nigeria is not the best.

And I am an engineer. What are the factor to siting a project in engineering. One of the factors involve a long time goal of been able to maintain it.

Can we maintain it. I would say NO.

I really do not want to discuss it because the project have already started, my interest is how to make it better.

Look by building it close to a place where there is already traffic problem, you increase the traffic problem.

The blue portion of lagos is another alternative that could have be used. reclaim the sea. I do not think is the best for lagos. I know so because I know lagos more than then mr david frame. 

Look I would save the money used in land reclaiming and use it to build new road and hospital and others.

we have maintainance problem. But I still wish fashola all the best. To be like dubai , you need to change immigration laws.

Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by Becomrrich: 1:57am On Feb 23, 2009
the first thing fashola need to do is get investment.like other city. investment body abroad.

it would be difficult for lagos to go alone. The Egbe Omo Odua can help. We can create Eko Investment board abroad. This help lagos to get investment into the eko atlantic city.  Lagos can sell properties before they are built.

There are developer abroad who may be interested in his project. What we do is help fashola package the Eko atlantic city like dubia. And sell the idea to companies over here. This is the way we can help.

We can also represent lagos in the deal. we make calls and visit client for lagos state. Make sure they see what they are buying and how much they can make.
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by bawomolo(m): 2:18am On Feb 23, 2009
^^^^^

blah blah blah

Anyway this is a good idea if completed.
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by davidif: 5:12am On Feb 23, 2009
boy, the chick [the presenter] is HOT!!!!
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by SeanT21(f): 6:12am On Feb 23, 2009
~~I will love to see that new city~~ wink
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by maxell(f): 6:39am On Feb 23, 2009
Why is tinubu always hovering around fashola

@op thanks for the youtube link
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by Nobody: 7:50am On Feb 23, 2009
cos they have their four hands inside the cookie jar at the same time, thats why! grin

by the time these two bastards are through with Lagos they'll be within the first ten of Forbes billionaire list.
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by Nobody: 8:08am On Feb 23, 2009
This vision is fantastic.
However, nigerians would always have doubts;

1. Because of lies and corruption that lie beneath such vision in nigeria.

2. It tends to be wasteful at this time when there are lots of slums that could easily and cheaply be converted to mega clean cities/suburbs.

I wish Fashola, lagosians and nigerians luck on this one.
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by Nobody: 9:56am On Feb 23, 2009
Now this is re- Branding. When Governors roll up their sleaves and get to work, you wont have to spend billions on publicity stunts, the Publicity would find you. Dora should pick up a jotter and Biro and go learn about rebranding from Tinubu
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by KunleOshob(m): 1:07pm On Feb 23, 2009
nuzo:

This vision is fantastic.
However, nigerians would always have doubts;

1. Because of lies and corruption that lie beneath such vision in nigeria.

2. It tends to be wasteful at this time when there are lots of slums that could easily and cheaply be converted to mega clean cities/suburbs. I wish Fashola, lagosians and nigerians luck on this one.

Fashola is really doing a fantastic Job and he has a multifaceted and multipronged approach. already sevral slums in lagos are being demolished and upgraded, good examples are , tejuoso market, oshodi market, mushin and oluwole in Lagos island these slums are being rebuilt and upgraded. the man as several plans and he is trying to harmonize them as best as he can. i really wish him well and i hope he is soon able to get rid of that moronic liabilty Tinubu that is always followin him around.
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by Charlesmud(m): 3:45pm On Feb 23, 2009
This is a wonderful project, my people I keep hearing some good things this days like the jackson project in badagry lagos Nigeria and for the first time there will be an Olympic touch in Nigeria lagos on 13th march 2009 and South Africa after.

Well I pray things starts to change for good.
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by KunleOshob(m): 4:22pm On Feb 23, 2009
Yeah and all these wonderful things can begin to happen in Nigeria becos our great leader OBJ laid a solid foundation for Nigeria's economic growth. it is a shame that most people focus only on his negative side.
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by Nobody: 8:00am On Feb 24, 2009
booohoooooo! Economic foundation my ass. You must be kidding. Do you have any idea how much OBJ squandered in eight years?? That bastard old man.

Lagos state Government is going up and down arm-twisting their citizens and extorting money from all manner of ugly sources to fund these white elephants. this got nothing to do with OBJ abeg.
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by FBS: 8:20am On Feb 24, 2009
initially I was blown away by the video but now thinking about it, does this project actually help the masses? Building a city 10m below sea level is great but there are enough slums and areas in lagos that they can actually make better and with less money.

Is this the right step for the lagos state government?
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by zexyworm: 11:03pm On Mar 10, 2009
Well, the arguement goes like this:  The construction of this mega project, which in itself would involve hundreds if not thousands of smaller projects, would generate 100,000+ jobs and the ensuing economic multiplier effect can't be denied. Beyond construction, the facilities (hotels, malls, apartment buildings, institutions, and resorts) would also need managerial humanpower and workers which would be engaged indefinitely.

To me, this project if properly executed can achieve many objectives including poverty alleviation in the state and the halting of erosion and sinking of VI.
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by davidif: 2:30am On Mar 11, 2009
Look people, what Fashola is doing is wrong it is an example of putting the carriage before the horse. Its not the govts job to create wealth and build skyscrapers (business district or whatever they call it) hoping that rich westerners would come there, this is what happened in Thailand and other Asian countries and it failed. Go to Thailand and you would see empty skyscrapers. What happens when demand is a lot less than supply then? My friend in Dubai said the real estate bubble in Dubai just busted. This guys were doing the same thing that Fashola is now doing and guess what? all those skyscrapers they kept building nobody is leaving in it. Its the job of the govt to facilitate the creation of wealth by providing basic public goods like constant power supply, a sophisticated transportation network to boost commerce, and creating a well educated labor market which this guy is not doing. We can't become like America overnight. Fashola should have a bottom up approach by focussing on basic projects to boost the standard of living of people like access to clean water, rural development through agriculture and the electrification of the rural areas so as to provide so as to boost the standard of living of the people. It is all this factors that lead to a rich country. What is the purpose of building shiny skyscrapers when you have street hawkers begging foreigners with suits and ties to buy pure water or Nupe traders selling "guguru and epa" on the street next to a business executive in a maybach. This is the same problem in South Africa, the country might have a high GDP what is the PCI (per capita income)? With all there skyscrapers, you have the highest crime rate in the world because of people who move from rural areas to the city and wind up living in ghettos and because of lack of opportunity start committing crimes. Let's not jump the gun here by going ahead of ourselves instead of focusing on the things that matter the most, the average citizen and NOT the foreign investors or the elites and the nigerians coming back from abroad.
The govt should leave the building of the skyscrapers to the private sector and focus on our pathetic public school system. All it costs to have a world class medical school is $120 million dollars (20 for faculty and 100 for the facility). This would cost a lot less in Nigeria because of lower labor costs and permits cost. A world class engineering college costs less than that but i don't see Fashola focusing on that. He is focusing on planting flowers instead, you can put a make up on a burned victim but you still cannot hide the scars. You can build all the houses in Lagos all you want but what's the need when nobody can afford it.

1 Like

Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by doyin13(m): 2:45am On Mar 11, 2009
@davidif

I thought Debo said this was largely a private sector initiative

who is right amongst you two??
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by davidif: 3:53am On Mar 11, 2009
NO WAY ITS SOLELY A PRIVATE VENTURE. THE STATE GOVT DEFINITELY HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT. The funny thing is that nobody has disclosed who the private investors are. No private investor would want to invest on speculation that westerners would move in to make Lagos a business centre like London. Besides, even if it some Nigerian bank doing it, it would be a very risky investment because its based on speculation.
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by GAR3TH(m): 8:22pm On Mar 11, 2009
Many private investors from around the world are already going to lagos. they are planning or are already building many projects. Its a fact that lagos will be an economical power house because Nigeria, with Ethiopia, are rank as the number one countries to invest in africa. also Nigeria is part of the Next-11 ( THE NEXT 11 Emerging Economies designation proposed by Goldman Sachs) in which Lagos makes up 30-40% of Nigeria's economy. so its a no brainer why these investors are coming to lagos.

The Speaker of the Federal House of Representa-tives, Honourable Dimeji Bankole on yesterday assured that the Federal Government would continue to offer necessary support to Lagos State on the development of the Eko Atlantic City Project.

The Speaker spoke in company of Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babatunde Fashola (SAN) when they both undertook an inspection of work at the Eko Atlantic City project at the Lagos Bar Beach .

In his words: "For Lagos State Government to come in and do what it has done and rescue the Bar Beach, we at the Federal level will continue to support whenever and wherever to keep Lagos improving".

Lagos State Governor assured that a model city to be known as Eko Atlantic City would develop from the second phase of the present Bar- Beach which is about to commence.

He added that the new city would a twenty first century city that is one and half the size of Victoria Island with no problem of pollution and refuse and twenty four hours electricity supply,

Fashola assured that the new city would one that compares to any other city anywhere in the world.

The Lagos State Governor described the progress on the work as the beginning of development and progress and a reflection of the fact that the State has a very focus team which is ready to discharge its responsibilities as it is expected of all political office holders.

The Speaker while responding to a question from newsmen said for Lagos to earn any special allocation, the State must be ready to lobby the lawmakers just like any other state would expected to do.

Earlier while briefing the Speaker and Governor Fashola on the project, the Managing Director of South EnergyX limited, Mr. David Frame informed that the first phase which has just been completed involved the protection of the shoreline by 1.5kilometres.

Mr Frame said the total size of the new city would be 8.2hectares and would include infrastructure and first class roads that are the hallmarks of a high rise development city.

He said the project which is being funded 100 percent by private investors aims to reclaim all land lost to erosion in the past.

He assured that there exist no fears of Tsunami in Lagos as there are no ports on the sea bed of the Atlantic Ocean as experience in the Far East has demonstrated.

The Governor and the Speaker were accompanied on the inspection by some members of the House of Representatives who accompanied the Speaker to Lagos .
http://allafrica.com/stories/200805051426.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Next_Eleven
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by luckiest: 1:38am On Mar 15, 2009
davidif:

Look people, what Fashola is doing is wrong it is an example of putting the carriage before the horse. Its not the govts job to create wealth and build skyscrapers (business district or whatever they call it) hoping that rich westerners would come there, this is what happened in Thailand and other Asian countries and it failed. Go to Thailand and you would see empty skyscrapers. What happens when demand is a lot less than supply then? My friend in Dubai said the real estate bubble in Dubai just busted. This guys were doing the same thing that Fashola is now doing and guess what? all those skyscrapers they kept building nobody is leaving in it. Its the job of the govt to facilitate the creation of wealth by providing basic public goods like constant power supply, a sophisticated transportation network to boost commerce, and creating a well educated labor market which this guy is not doing. We can't become like America overnight. Fashola should have a bottom up approach by focussing on basic projects to boost the standard of living of people like access to clean water, rural development through agriculture and the electrification of the rural areas so as to provide so as to boost the standard of living of the people. It is all this factors that lead to a rich country. What is the purpose of building shiny skyscrapers when you have street hawkers begging foreigners with suits and ties to buy pure water or Nupe traders selling "guguru and epa" on the street next to a business executive in a maybach. This is the same problem in South Africa, the country might have a high GDP what is the PCI (per capita income)? With all there skyscrapers, you have the highest crime rate in the world because of people who move from rural areas to the city and wind up living in ghettos and because of lack of opportunity start committing crimes. Let's not jump the gun here by going ahead of ourselves instead of focusing on the things that matter the most, the average citizen and NOT the foreign investors or the elites and the nigerians coming back from abroad.
The govt should leave the building of the skyscrapers to the private sector and focus on our pathetic public school system. All it costs to have a world class medical school is $120 million dollars (20 for faculty and 100 for the facility). This would cost a lot less in Nigeria because of lower labor costs and permits cost. A world class engineering college costs less than that but i don't see Fashola focusing on that. He is focusing on planting flowers instead, you can put a make up on a burned victim but you still cannot hide the scars. You can build all the houses in Lagos all you want but what's the need when nobody can afford it.

YEAH YEAH, if you are truly a Nigerian living in the US or faking it, then you have to be in Lagos to feel the impact of Fashola job,even the opposition is commending him.

He is not just building road that we can actually see,not hear-say like I suspect with you; do you think he is going to build a city like the Lekki Free Trade Zone and the Eko Atlantic City without worldclass hospital or even better one, if you are truly in US,then I will be right to say you rely on hear-say.

The stretch of Badagry expressway will now be expanded from 4 to 10 lanes,in addition to the light rail and Bus Rapid Transport (BRT), Rome wasn't built in a day, even roads never expected by Lagosian to be touch by Fashola has been completely turned around, should I talk about the Lasu Isheri Road, the Link Bridge connecting Surulere, Aguda and Ijesha with Okota, Isolo, Ikotun etc, or do I have to also tell you about Yaba, Oyingbo, Oshodi; LAGOSIANS PLS TELL THIS GUY ABOUT YOUR AREA' in Lawanson the 10 storey high refuse that has been there for more than 20 year is gone; my US friend all due respect to where you get your information family or friend, they fed you wrong infos;

becos other failed never doesn't mean Lagos will, Russian sent dog to Space, the US sent human; that the best striker missed a seater doesn't mean others should stop trying.

He is currently working on a mega hospital in Gbagada, and I can see one already standing tall in Isolo behind the existing General Hospital, and more is coming. Ha ba my friend! give the man a chance

We will never fail in Lagos because I see a great Lagos that will ensure that I don't have to battle for visas to another mans land; I hate to be slave in another man's country. Don't worry one day by the Grace of God people from Nigeria will be the one that sends money to families and friend in the US-AMEN

1 Like

Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by Kenezi: 3:05am On Mar 15, 2009
Russia put the first animal and human into space.
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by Nobody: 5:15am On Mar 15, 2009
Fashola is doing a wonderful job. This I can attest to as a recent visitor to Lagos.

Dude has really transformed the place. Street lights everywhere and working, smooth roads, reduced crime, construction going on everywhere.

Even the public schools are being upgraded, as in REAL upgrade, not cosmetic job.

The man deserves all the accolades he's getting.

If I may add, several other states are taking a cue from the Fashola phenomenon. Enugu state (my state) is being transformed by the governor, Mr Chime.
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by Kobojunkie: 5:21am On Mar 15, 2009
What has Enugu state done? @Rossike
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by Jakumo(m): 6:19am On Mar 15, 2009
[size=20pt]Fashola For President of Nigeria 2011. [/size]
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by luckiest: 9:57am On Mar 15, 2009
pls let him complete all the jobs in Lagos before he starts thinking of becoming the president because I know for sure People Destroy People(PDP) are still wondering why he is not from their party
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by BabsO2(m): 12:45pm On Mar 15, 2009
Jakumo:

[size=20pt]Fashola For President of Nigeria 2011. [/size]

Nigeria's not yet ripe for that. Other geo regions need to partake. What of Amaechi for 2015.
Re: Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) by frag(m): 4:13pm On Mar 15, 2009
Nice and lovely.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Zamfara State Gov Abdulaziz Yari Evicted From His Abuja Home / INEC, APC Set For Showdown Today Over Zamfara Candidates’ List / Maku’s Guber Ambition ‘a Fraud’ – PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.