Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,882 members, 7,828,133 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:19 AM

Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University (38039 Views)

Nigerian Slay Queen Bags Law Degree From UK University. Photos / Nigerian Lady With Masters In Law From A UK University Offered N35k As Salary / Nigerian Lady Bags First Class In Law From UK University (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jun 15, 2015
Craigston:
What about Russia? Is it a good place to study (despite language constraints)?

Hell No.

Consider Germany.
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by uzolexis(f): 12:54pm On Jun 15, 2015
Bennymontana:
tution's free for undergraduates only...do you know if its free for masters and phd too?

Yes tution is free for Masters too as for phd you have to get a grant, universities give phd grants but also many other research organisations.
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by mickyarams: 12:58pm On Jun 15, 2015
greenhouse2012:
You have probably seen the adverts on Linda’s blog and newspapers and you thinking may be its time to go and study abroad, in the UK. However, before you take that huge leap, take a step back and evaluate your options. Having studied the system I have come up with the following reasons why studying in the UK is not as attractive as it is painted.

1. There are no Jobs
It is the dream of everyone going to study abroad to get to practice their skills in the environment where they have learned them. Unfortunately, however, for migrants coming to study in the UK, the chances of getting a job after completion of their study are very slim and there a few reasons for this. But most importantly is that there are simply no Jobs. The UK has an unemployment rate of about 6% and there are about 1 million UK citizens receiving job seekers allowance. So you see, jobs are difficult to come by.

2. Immigration Rules
The immigration rules in the UK are quite complex and sometimes even officials in the universities do not understand many of these rules as it is none of their business. The UK immigration system has been deliberately designed to deter migrants from coming into the country. Unlike in the past, the Tier 4 student Visa does not have enough time allowance for foreign students to apply for Jobs and attend interviews after the completion of their study. You would usually on get between 2-4 months to stay after handing-in you dissertation. This is usually not enough time. In addition, to be eligible for a job interview, the company must ensure that there is no suitable UK citizen for that job. This is almost always impossible except for few fields such as medicine and nursing.

3. Excessive Visa application fees and expensive tuition
Applying for a Tier 4 student Visa could be a nightmare. At present, it costs £322 (NGN 100000). This is excluding costs associated with planning, consulting and logistics. In addition, you have to have a “maintenance fund” in your bank account for 28 consecutive days at least 31 days before your Visa application. This includes a full year tuition fee which could be about £12000 (NGN 3.6 Million) and living expenses of about £10000 (NGN 3 Million). These are definitely not easy to come by, even by well to do UK Citizens. More recently, there has also been an addition of a “Health Surcharge” of about £150 pound (NGN 50000) a year and you don’t get a refund if during the year you do not use the health system.
In terms of Tuition fees, the average tuition fee for a non-UK citizen for most one-year courses is about £12000 (NGN 3.6 Million) which is about twice the amount a UK citizen pays for the same course.

4. Discrimination
Although not overt, there is a subtle but palpable air of discrimination towards immigrants in the UK, more so in recent years where many people face financial hardships. Many UK citizens have been made to believe that immigrants are the cause of their difficulties, however many independent studies would disprove this. The truth however remains that many Britons would prefer that you stay back in your home country.

5. It is not worth the hassle
Considering the financial implications, job prospects and the shock associated with relocating, it is only wise to think and think again before taking that step towards coming to the UK to study. Even UK citizens with all the benefits they have being citizens do not find it easy coping with their own system.
UK universities make money off immigrants hence the widespread media campaigns and open days, however they do not influence policies in a positive way so as to make it a wise investment for young people hoping to break new ground. Therefore, before you take that step, think, “Would I be better-off investing the money and resources in other more fruitful ventures?”
This is not to discourage you. Many people come to the UK and settle in nicely, but you must weigh the pros against the cons before you take your decisions.

Thanks for putting this out here because a lot of Nigerians are so naive and ignorant about the system in the UK.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by HudsonBanks(m): 1:01pm On Jun 15, 2015
I'm currently studying at one of the top 4 uni here in England, it's a great place to learn & improve on academic discipline but shockingly I agree with the OP. After you spend heaven on earth to school here (my tuition is well over £16k), it isn't economically welcoming. Although I haven't experienced any sort of discrimination since I've been here & everyone seems nice it is still better to head to Canada or USA where you get better value for your money.

I came here purely to learn not seeking job opportunities but I've reluctantly applied to some jobs after pressure from my buddies here & I've interviewed with a major engineering company that's very positive towards my application. But still I'll advise anyone looking for anything more than a sound education to head across the Atlantic.

10 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Nobody: 1:06pm On Jun 15, 2015
uzolexis:

Yes tution is free for Masters too as for phd you have to get a grant, universities give phd grants but also many other research organisations.
alryt! Tnx 4 d invaluable info...tink i av 2 follow peps like you on NL
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by lighternote: 1:14pm On Jun 15, 2015
The rate at which they do their aggressive marketing on every available space should let you know that it's just another business venture, a source of revenue for their dwindling economy and especially the mushroom universities over there. You see them promoting poor ranking universities and selling such to gullible Nigerians at yet exorbitant international tuition.
They still kick ur assss out after milking you dry. No PSW. shocked

If ur papa isn't one of these thieving politicians and so you don't have the required support structure during and after studies, UK uni is a NO NO.

***Don't ever quit ur Naija job to go for UK masters. Never, ever. lipsrsealed

6 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by deucelaw: 1:16pm On Jun 15, 2015
ttmacoy:
Poland, Ukraine over the UK? lol agent at work

Lol....i dint do any rating...afterall UK was also included...
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by MSEdLAW(m): 1:19pm On Jun 15, 2015
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by imperiouxx(m): 1:47pm On Jun 15, 2015
Even before seeing this, I have always known that studying in U.K is a big scam for foreign students.

You have to pay fully for the year before applying for student visa unlike the U.S schools.

Many U.K schools don't offer foreign students funding like the U.S schools.

So why dying to study there?

3 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Nobody: 2:28pm On Jun 15, 2015
When all of a sudden you see all the adverts in the dailies asking you to come and study in the UK, trust me, it's not because they love you, it's because they need to take your GBP12,000; they have perfected the art of getting rid of you once your course is done, you'll be left with a certificate that's at best ceremonial...a word is enough for the wise, don't go to the UK for studies..they'll take your money and treat you like the scum of the Earth...but if you still chose to go there after all the warning, maybe that's what you really are.

3 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by francescainnoce(f): 2:42pm On Jun 15, 2015
Most definitely agree with you op.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Nobody: 3:39pm On Jun 15, 2015
But wait o how come all of you that are complaining want to work in top companies?have you thought about their citizens.if you wanted a top job in the uk why didn't you apply to their leading schools and get good grades.
I believe that if you do very well uk will keep you.you think they(uk) don't sort out the best?most nigerians I know do come back to nigeria and become the leading enterprenurs how come all of you in this nairaland its a different story?if you are a nigerian that has studied in the uk or abroad and can't do something for yourself depending on govt or another country govt trust me you are useless to nigeria and that country you want to reside.
My boss finished from a low ranking school in the uk.today she has her own company and she is doing very well.in nigeria you want govt to help you.travel out you want foreign govt to help you.what is your problem?
One day those Germany,Australia etc will start putting out rules just similar to the uk that's when your eyes will clear

3 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Nobody: 4:04pm On Jun 15, 2015
HudsonBanks:
I'm currently studying at one of the top 4 uni here in England, it's a great place to learn & improve on academic discipline but shockingly I agree with the OP. After you spend heaven on earth to school here (my tuition is well over £16k), it isn't economically welcoming. Although I haven't experienced any sort of discrimination since I've been here & everyone seems nice it is still better to head to Canada or USA where you get better value for your money.

I came here purely to learn not seeking job opportunities but I've reluctantly applied to some jobs after pressure from my buddies here & I've interviewed with a major engineering company that's very positive towards my application. But still I'll advise anyone looking for anything more than a sound education to head across the Atlantic.
True words boss.Been a while.
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jun 15, 2015
Preciousstones:
But wait o how come all of you that are complaining want to work in top companies?have you thought about their citizens.if you wanted a top job in the uk why didn't you apply to their leading schools and get good grades.
I believe that if you do very well uk will keep you.you think they(uk) don't sort out the best?most nigerians I know do come back to nigeria and become the leading enterprenurs how come all of you in this nairaland its a different story?if you are a nigerian that has studied in the uk or abroad and can't do something for yourself depending on govt or another country govt trust me you are useless to nigeria and that country you want to reside.
My boss finished from a low ranking school in the uk.today she has her own company and she is doing very well.in nigeria you want govt to help you.travel out you want foreign govt to help you.what is your problem?
One day those Germany,Australia etc will start putting out rules just similar to the uk that's when your eyes will clear
I agree with you to an extent.Good grades will help your cause to an extent.Most time it is not all about ranking.Ranking is useful but when you can't perform at an assessment center,your school's ranking won't be important.The key is to know what you want and work towards it.

2 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by sidvinci(m): 4:15pm On Jun 15, 2015
you are right my brother... If you want to study in abroad think of Australia
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Olaone1: 4:17pm On Jun 15, 2015
undecided
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jun 15, 2015
campusconnect:

We at campusconnections may be able to help you fulfill you dreams of securing a Phd spot. you didn't mention your intended study destination for your Phd so we can advice better.

Kindly get back to me if you are interested via my email- george.campusconnections@gmail.com or see phone number on my signature line below

George David
Student Recruitment Manager
Campus Connection
Suites 36, Block A, 1st Floor,
Alausa Shopping Mall,
Telephone:08186775365
Web:www.campusconnections-edu.com
Email: Lagos@campusconnection-edu.com
It is not advisable to use an agent for a PhD position/degree.You don't do a research degree if you don't have a passion for research.Secondly,your research interest must match the faculty research areas or the Professors in the department.How can an agent effectively communicate that to the department or faculty ? A good PhD is usually funded hence may require an interview as part of the conditions for admission/enrolment.How can you prove yourself as a worthy research candidate if you don't do it on your own?

3 Likes

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Nobody: 4:19pm On Jun 15, 2015
Samoalfred:
I agree with you to an extent.Good grades will help your cause to an extent.Most time it is not all about ranking.Ranking is useful but when you can't perform at an assessment center,your school's ranking won't be important.The key is to know what you want and work towards it.

Yes but these people complaining are just mentioning top uni top uni that's when you can get a good job that's why I had to mention someone who attended a low ranking uni.its all about good grades and planning.
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by parkwella(m): 4:21pm On Jun 15, 2015
Always think of Australia... that's a nice city and you have all the rights bestowed on international students.
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by olasberguk(m): 5:12pm On Jun 15, 2015
i agree 100 percent ,is not worth going to uk to study is an absolute waste of money it is better to go to countries like germany canada usa australia ,this countries dont chase u out after graduation
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Junipero: 5:59pm On Jun 15, 2015
just watching
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by livingday: 6:59pm On Jun 15, 2015
Blame past Nigerian government that had allowed our universities to degenerate into political football, cultism, prostitution, infrastructural dilapidation and institution of moral decadence with least attention to teaching and learning standards elsewhere in the world.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by HudsonBanks(m): 7:24pm On Jun 15, 2015
Samoalfred:
True words boss.Been a while.

Prof himself smiley, greetings chief. I'll hit you up cos it seems I might be coming to visit, giving myself one week break after intensive brain fry lol.
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Shinelle(f): 7:38pm On Jun 15, 2015
DjHypno:
I'm searching for my crush, cc AnneMomoh where you ooo??
please i want to use this medium to report AnneMomoh that you know on nairaland.com

I dont know the appropriate channels to follow but he/she is an impersonator.
using the real persons pictures and name and descriptions to gain popularity for God knows what!

The real Anne Momoh is a friend of mine that knows nothing of this site.It took me a while to even explain what this forum was and how it works. I dont know why someone would impersonate another with their full names and photographs.

NAIRALAND (Guys especially ) beware!! I dont know what the plan is..
Im ready to go any length to stop this wicked soul!

Cc Seun , moderators and all
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by DjHypno(m): 7:43pm On Jun 15, 2015
Shinelle:
please i want to use this medium to report AnneMomoh that you know on nairaland.com

I dont know the appropriate channels to follow but he/she is an impersonator.
using the real persons pictures and name and descriptions to gain popularity for God knows what!

The real annemomoh is a friend of mine that knows nothing of this site. I dont know why someone would impersonate another with their full names and photographs.

Im ready to go any length to stop this idiot.
Aahhhh shocked Is that true? Is the pic on her profile the same with your friend? AnneMomoh come and defend yourself ooo.
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Shinelle(f): 7:50pm On Jun 15, 2015
DjHypno:
Aahhhh shocked Is that true? Is the pic on her profile the same with your friend? AnneMomoh come and defend yourself ooo.

Please it's as true as fact!

Ive sent DMs to that person, no replys from him (i have a feeling its a guy though).

Please beware... and as for you Annemomoh stop portraying my best friend as a notorious person on this site..
im yet to figure out your silly plan, but be rest assured you will fail at it... reason being, its evil!!!
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by AnneMomoh: 7:55pm On Jun 15, 2015
Besty Oji, i see you

Shinelle:

Please it's as true as fact!

Ive sent DMs to that person, no replys from him (i have a feeling its a guy though).

Please beware... and as for you Annemomoh stop portraying my best friend as a notorious person on this site..
im yet to figure out your silly plan, but be rest assured you will fail at it... reason being, its evil!!!
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by McPhilz8(m): 7:55pm On Jun 15, 2015
Already thought of applying sha. .
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by ajetunblog(m): 8:07pm On Jun 15, 2015
Live, Work, Study in China...
Low tuition fee
Easy Visa Extensions
High Quality Education
Low Living Expenses
NO IELTS REQUIREMENT
PAY TUITION FEE AFTER VISA
100% VISA GUARANTEE
APPLY NOW
For more information on applications and admission, Contact via
Email: studyinchina2020@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp: +8613576011049

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Shinelle(f): 8:34pm On Jun 15, 2015
AnneMomoh:
Besty Oji, i see you

KEEP SEEING ME... GOD HAS SAVED YOU THAT NAIRALAND MODERATES INSULTS... ILD HAVE INSULTED THE LIVING DAY LIGHT OUT OF YOU..

NO BE ONLY BESTY na BETHSAIDA..
Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by Nobody: 9:09pm On Jun 15, 2015
HudsonBanks:

Prof himself smiley, greetings chief. I'll hit you up cos it seems I might be coming to visit, giving myself one week break after intensive brain fry lol.
Hehe I can relate to that.No problems.Will be expecting you.

1 Like

Re: Five Reasons Not To Apply To A UK University by McPhilz8(m): 9:29pm On Jun 15, 2015
Matttthew:
Huh
With God all things are possible
With God Nothing is impossible...
YH ..yu right bruh.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Waec 2012/2013 : Yet Another Mass Failure Recorded- Here Is The ... / LAUTECH Students Involved In Motor Accident, 2 Students Confirmed Dead (Graphic) / Latest Update On AGBAMI Scholarship 2015 Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.