Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,038 members, 7,818,067 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:46 AM

Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria (69349 Views)

10 Most Expensive Police Cars In The World / Top 10 Funny Looking Cars In The World / Drunk Driver Crashes Employer's Mercedes-benz SUV Into 4 Parked Cars In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:15pm On Nov 24, 2015
Denn pls u didn't really tell us anything about the Cherokee. We only saw it on Gazzuzz competition.
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Denn(m): 8:20pm On Nov 24, 2015
dumo1:

Yippee, another restoration job. Pls pics, pics, pics.

Hnmmmmm

This one is in full top spec...no need for restoration.

Just buy and drive....

Fingers still crossed. Hoping I can conclude my part of the agreement within the time frame.
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by princeogbeide1(m): 9:21pm On Nov 24, 2015
Infomizer:
This oyibo man drove his for 82 years! Unbelievable ba? I thought so too..

That car is the first Volvo created in the world as a signed road worthy vehicle. It was lunched in 1910 in Sweden" but then, the Volvo company was not official" until 1927, Volvo Car Corporation was founded in Gothenburg, Sweden.

1 Like

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Denn(m): 9:25pm On Nov 24, 2015
Bossforeva:
Denn pls u didn't really tell us anything about the Cherokee. We only saw it on Gazzuzz competition.

No vex.

The Cherokee was acquired on the fly.

I saw it 'parked' at a mechanic workshop and covered in dust. I was told it has persistent and unresolvable overheating issues.

The overheating was so bad the first engine was condemned.

The owner then bought a tokunbo engine and issue still persisted. Owner got furious and abandoned the car.

Now the issue was this, the radiators on early Cherokee Jeeps were the closed system radiators. A closed system radiator doesn't have a radiator cap on the radiator but on the expansion tank. The closed system radiator operates under pressure. Pressure is needed to push the coolant round the system. The expansion tank was the Achilles heel as it was made from a weak kind of plastic. Over time, it degrades and breaks. This causes a pressure loss and the coolant will simply not flow.

The wonderful kazeems thought they did not connect the hoses well and tried different routings. The routing I met was where the heater core was deleted and its hoses were routed to the coolant expansion tank. So the water pump pushes water through one heater core outlet into the expansion tank and returns through the other into the same water pump....water was not even getting to the radiator!

Apart from this, the car had a leather interior, functional automatic transmission with 4wd, a non functional AC but repairable, good tires plus its a Cherokee with real axles in front and back. It also came with the ever rugged 4.0 litre inline six engine that never dies.

I hit Google and found out the cooling system could be converted to the more simpler 'open system'. I also knew there could be some more 'surprises' but i was ready to take the risk.

I made a very ridiculous offer to buy 'as is'. My offer was too ridiculous I cannot state it here.

The owner was ready to cut his loss and didn't mind selling just to cover cost of the new tokunbo engine. We had a deal.

I have a wonderful guy in ladipo who helps to source parts. I downloaded the open system radiator from Google and sent jt via whatsapp to him. I told him to get it for me. He got it within 30 minutes and sent it to me via motorcycle.

I took the new radiator to the kazeems and told them to install it. I also corrected the radiator hose routing. I deleted the heater core completely. Whilst installing, I googled the serpentine belt diagram for that engine and found out the water pump on mine was turning the opposite way. The kazeems had used a shorter belt. I got the OEM belt length online and bought a new belt and directed them on the proper Installation.

We added water and started the car. No overheating. Vehicle was left to idle....no overheating.

Took vehicle for a drive round with 4 kazeems who were so estatic and surprised. They had battled with the issue for months. I dropped them off and drive my new Jeep home.

Vehicle had been 'worked' on by very funny rewires. So many wrong connections. The vacuum hoses....guages not working etc

I have done so many DIYs on this car than I have done in my entire life. So many online resources.

I armed myself with a multimeter and learnt how to test resistance, voltage etc and adjust to factory spec.

Any 'rewire' who doesn't know how to use a multimeter is only good at replacing bulbs or relays. How will he for example confirm that the voltage going to the TPS is exactly 5 volts as recommended. How will he confirm that the resistance of the ground is less than 1as required?

This car has been my training mule and I get better daily.

It is my daily driver when I put on my cloak as a Farmer and my training cadaver in my quest to be a better automotive electrician.

Oh...and the vehicle is also a classic too... 1990 Cherokee XJ.....The vehicle that started the real SUV rush

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:51pm On Nov 24, 2015
Denn:

Hnmmmmm

Just buy and drive....

Fingers still crossed. Hoping I can conclude my part of the agreement within the time frame.
I do hope the agreement sails through. Oga Denn you are really becoming a classic cars collector. Do keep the classic dream alive.
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Nobody: 12:07am On Nov 25, 2015
Denn:

No vex.

The Cherokee was acquired on the fly.

I saw it 'parked' at a mechanic workshop...
Impressive.
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:35am On Nov 25, 2015
Denn that's nice.. Now see the reason why people fear Cherokee. I wonder if the 90s suburbans are like that too.
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by CarMan1: 5:49pm On Nov 28, 2015
Thanks.

Denn:

Hnmmmmm

Just buy and drive....

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Denn(m): 6:00pm On Nov 28, 2015
CarMan1:
Hello Mr. Denn,

How're you today sir? I'm quite new to Nairaland, and a very specific search brought me here. I have tried to contact you via sending a Nairaland email request.

Straight to the point, we need to hook up sir. My team and I are pioneering a Premium Auto Review and Celebrity Interview TV show in Nigeria.
Since this is an open forum, I cannot divulge too many details here, but this I can say... We Premiere Season 1 of the show on weekly Primetime spots on DSTV Africa Magic FAMILY (Channel 154) and WORLD (Channel 155) December... Next month. Our Production partners are Nigeria's foremost Media Studio and are based on the Island area of Lagos. We premiere on Free-To-Air Non subscription TV by April 2016.

Reading your content, I would like us to meet AT YOUR EARLIEST CONVENIENCE. The show consists of Studio scenes as well as actual driving tests and reviews. I am the Executive Producer, and would LOVE to work with you on an aspect of production. Apologies for the short notice, but production begins really very soon. As in really soon. Wish I found your page earlier.

This is an open forum, and I cannot share more now. Will communicate comprehensively once we can establish contact. Also new here, so I don't know if there is a Direct Message feature. kindly email me your phone # on ******@yahoo.com and cc same name @gmail.com (This is my private email. My official one gives away the name of the show).

To confirm it's really you, I'd request that you kindly post anything here as a reply to this message using your Denn Profile Name.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thanks & God bless.

Wow

1234 ....just posted something.

You can clean your email address too as I did in the mention...

You have an email.

Warmest regards
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Denn(m): 5:40pm On Dec 20, 2015
WATCH The CARS AND STARS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOSMccfhvxE

The CARS AND STARS Television Show is FINALLY HERE!!!

Hosted by Taiwo Onalaja, the show is set to give you the Best Reviews from the Nigerian Auto Industry, Exciting Celebrity Interviews, and International Auto Industry Updates on Every Episode!!!

CATCH US From Sunday the 20th of December at the following times:

Sundays 8:00pm - Africa Magic FAMILY - DSTV Channel 154
Wednesdays 1:30pm - Africa Magic FAMILY - DSTV Channel 154
Saturdays 8:30pm - Africa Magic WORLD- DSTV Channel 155
(West African Time)

For More Information, please visit 

www.carsandstarsng.com

PLEASE Feel Free To SHARE!!!!
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Denn(m): 4:25pm On Jan 04, 2016
Saw this bus recently.

Volkswagen type 2 bus

Working well. Still being used for commercial transport.

1 Like

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Denn(m): 9:31pm On Jan 09, 2016
in order to organize all contents relating to Automobile appreciation, i have created a blog for that purpose.

I will consistently update same with contents. Feedback and support also encouraged.

The site is https://dennautoworld./

looking forward to comments
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Crixie(m): 12:31pm On Jun 17, 2016
In a bid to keep this wonderful thread alive ...I found a magazine article from many years ago I would like to share

3 Likes

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Denn(m): 4:34pm On Nov 29, 2016
Been long i updated this page...

A lot has happened.

Of recent interest is this discovery.... A BMW E30 Coupe with M technic options.

More details upcoming

3 Likes

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Crixie(m): 4:37pm On Nov 29, 2016
Oga Denn ...long time ooo
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:55pm On Nov 29, 2016
Finally life has been brought back to this thread.
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by DonDantee: 9:45pm On Nov 29, 2016
Hlo....I need dis bmw.
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by DonDantee: 10:34pm On Dec 03, 2016
Hloooo how far with this bmw
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by StoneColdGamer: 8:09pm On Dec 04, 2016
Is the BMW for sale?
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Crixie(m): 9:09am On Jan 02, 2017
I found this video interesting. ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eZIjd0GV2k

1 Like

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by 9icetoo(m): 10:28am On Jan 02, 2017
Crixie:
In a bid to keep this wonderful thread alive ...I found a magazine article from many years ago I would like to share
happy I drove this car before it was disposed of. a kazeem wrecked the turbo. car was sold off on the cheap. it really does push you back into the seats when picking up speed.
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Crixie(m): 8:05am On Feb 06, 2017
One of the most beautiful specimens of French sophistication. A true classic...Where can Someone get this?

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Octaves(m): 7:58pm On Feb 06, 2017
Crixie:
One of the most beautiful specimens of French sophistication. A true classic...Where can Someone get this?
in France

3 Likes

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by Crixie(m): 3:22pm On Aug 02, 2018
grin

1 Like

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by BEANSANDBREAD00(m): 12:09am On May 05, 2019
I have a classic Toyota 4Runner 1986 2 door SUV
Unfortunately I only have one picture
More pics will be updated shortly

2 Likes

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by gragragra(m): 5:03pm On Jul 24, 2019
I love this, I'm actually looking for a coupé but wouldn't mind if I could find this too. How much would this Peugeot go for and can AC be fitted into it?

Seriously looking for 1984 Mercedes 230 coupé, 1971 Mercedes-Benz 280SL or a 1989 Mercedes-Benz 560SL they're not using in Nigeria? I'd like to revamp and use, I like classic retro cars. I mean if I no buy the Benz wetin I gain? �

Ikenna351:
This is my baby, Peugeot 505 V6 5-speed manual, 1986 production. Picture was taken recently.

I am the only guy that drives a V6 505 in Abuja city, and a clean one. The gaze I get from people while driving past is thrilling, with my windows up.

I love that Lion!

Ikenna

Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by gragragra(m): 5:06pm On Jul 24, 2019
I want this �
Denn:

Good choice. I doubt its pristine availability in Nigeria given our history of vehicle maintenance.

This car was already a classic even in the eighties.
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by gragragra(m): 5:09pm On Jul 24, 2019
Please how much and where did you get this?
Denn:

Currently undergoing restoration.

Will update soon
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by gragragra(m): 5:14pm On Jul 24, 2019
Advertising Gbas Gbos... This was their own twitter clap back then Lmao � � �

Crixie:
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by JustAboyy: 12:57am On Mar 23, 2020
Bump
Re: Chasing Classic Cars In Nigeria by kengodson: 9:56am On Apr 08, 2020
Mitcewww

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Pastor Igwe Erick Nwankwo's Car Number Plate Goes Viral / Will You Buy This Bulletproof Luxury Toyota Coaster Bus For N165m? (photos) / UNIZIK Students Build Car That Looks Like A Formula One Race Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.