Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,456 members, 7,812,396 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:43 PM

Let's Save The Big 3 - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Let's Save The Big 3 (841 Views)

Chrysler 300c Hemi (the Big Fix) / What's The Big Deal About First Body Of A Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Let's Save The Big 3 by watchworldpro: 10:02pm On Jun 15, 2015
German cars (bmw, audi and mercedes benz) have lost their image with respect to second hand value. This is due to our uneducated mechanics who lack expertise. They want to build their house with their fake repairs. Let's correct the impression that German cars are problematic. When the right thing is done. The sky is your limit. Thanks to tdie for the refreshing restoration project of his Audi 2002 model. It shows that there is still hope for Audi enthusiasts like me.
Re: Let's Save The Big 3 by abatically(m): 11:48pm On Jun 15, 2015
No disputing the 'big 3' as u call them make very good Cars with great handling and performance. But second hand value is not just the fault of our mechanics. These cars also lose their second hand value in adavced countries. Check the price of a used Camry and a used Mercedes Benz c class of the same year online and see if there is a big price difference. Brand new the Benz will buy 2 of the Camry but used they are almost the same worth. Owners sell them off when their warranties are over because of the high majntainance and repair costs.
Re: Let's Save The Big 3 by Nobody: 11:57pm On Jun 15, 2015
abatically:
No disputing the 'big 3' as u call them make very good Cars with great handling and performance. But second hand value is not just the fault of our mechanics. These cars also lose their second hand value in adavced countries. Check the price of a used Camry and a used Mercedes Benz c class of the same year online and see if there is a big price difference. Brand new the Benz will buy 2 of the Camry but used they are almost the same worth. Owners sell them off when their warranties are over because of the high majntainance and repair costs.
not entirely bro, should we experiment with Avalon and S-class all toks

1 Like

Re: Let's Save The Big 3 by abatically(m): 2:17am On Jun 16, 2015
Bossforeva:
not entirely bro, should we experiment with Avalon and S-class all toks

U sef see the kind comparison u dey make. How much is s class and avalon brand new? A brand new s class will buy 4 avalons so this is not even a competition. Even at that don't be surprised a 2000 model avalon toks might be more expensive than a 2000 model s class or the Benz might be slightly expensive.

The general thing here is that luxury products lose their values more quickly, but a Benz or BMW lose their value more quickly than a Lexus.
Re: Let's Save The Big 3 by nurey(m): 6:07am On Jun 16, 2015
I can't say for the S-class because I have not seen anybody asking for the tokunbo or even selling a tokunbo S-class.

but the toyota is always more expensive in tokunbo price to the Germans depending on year of manufacture. even though the Germans have more bells and whistles than the jap vehicles.

that not withstanding the Germans have high-tech gadgets and more electronically controlled parts which are too cumbersome for our mechanics and sometimes when they fail out right replacement of the whole component is needed instead of a part.

a German vehicle could also be as reliable as the japs if the owner is willing to give it that extra care and top notch spending.

1 Like

Re: Let's Save The Big 3 by Nobody: 7:20am On Jun 16, 2015
nurey:
I can't say for the S-class because I have not seen anybody asking for the tokunbo or even selling a tokunbo S-class.

but the toyota is always more expensive in tokunbo price to the Germans depending on year of manufacture. even though the Germans have more bells and whistles than the jap vehicles.

that not withstanding the Germans have high-tech gadgets and more electronically controlled parts which are too cumbersome for our mechanics and sometimes when they fail out right replacement of the whole component is needed instead of a part.

a German vehicle could also be as reliable as the japs if the owner is willing to give it that extra care and top notch spending.
What if the manufacturers aren't ready to give it the reliability it should have without the owner spending extra, as was the case in times past?
Re: Let's Save The Big 3 by DaimlerBen(m): 7:35am On Jun 16, 2015
nurey:

Nigerians aren't the only ones with a lackadaisical approach to car maintenance & repairs. Even abroad, when they buy a new luxury car, enjoy all the toys included, and they eventually fail, they take it to an unauthorised mech (we aren't the only ones with kazeems) because the official ones charge outrageous prices. That's why a well-maintained in-mint-condition all-toys-intact highly-sought-after classic luxury car goes for the same price as a brand new one.
Re: Let's Save The Big 3 by DaimlerBen(m): 7:40am On Jun 16, 2015
lomomike:

What if the manufacturers aren't ready to give it the reliability it should have without the owner spending extra, as was the case in times past?
In times past? What of the 600 Grosser?
Re: Let's Save The Big 3 by Nobody: 10:00am On Jun 16, 2015
abatically:

U sef see the kind comparison u dey make. How much is s class and avalon brand new? A brand new s class will buy 4 avalons so this is not even a competition. Even at that don't be surprised a 2000 model avalon toks might be more expensive than a 2000 model s class or the Benz might be slightly expensive.

The general thing here is that luxury products lose their values more quickly, but a Benz or BMW lose their value more quickly than a Lexus.
ain't comparing both, but am tryna say that on the basis of a used full size sedan of both make, lets say the 07, the price of the merc is still much more.
Re: Let's Save The Big 3 by watchworldpro: 10:29am On Jun 16, 2015
Thanks guys for your contributions. You all make sense. However, the big 3 is not recommended for all. If you are a basic user who is risk averse (and probably stingy), Stay with the Japmobiles. But for car enthusiasts who like speed, functions and aesthetics. And also those who are willing to pay to get optimum value. The big 3 is fine. From my testimony (and probably those who have driven any of the big 3) I don't like japmobiles. The big 3 is for those who pay attention to details.
Re: Let's Save The Big 3 by Nobody: 1:20pm On Jun 16, 2015
watchworldpro:
Thanks guys for your contributions. You all make sense. However, the big 3 is not recommended for all. If you are a basic user who is risk averse (and probably stingy), Stay with the Japmobiles. But for car enthusiasts who like speed, functions and aesthetics. And also those who are willing to pay to get optimum value. The big 3 is fine. From my testimony (and probably those who have driven any of the big 3) I don't like japmobiles. The big 3 is for those who pay attention to details.
You've succeeded in shooting yourself in the leg courtesy the bolded comment.
Re: Let's Save The Big 3 by nurey(m): 2:52pm On Jun 16, 2015
watchworldpro:

I have always said it, when ever you are making a point always be objective and not subjective. so jap mobile users are now stingy people cause they dont drive the big 3. have you ever heard of mazda Rx-8, 7 etc, the nissan 350z, 370z, have you come across toyota celica and lexus LFA. you must understand the japs also have something equally as good as heir German counter part.

what you are saying is if we also want to mention sports and hyper sports vehicles, when mentioning the lambo, ferrari, porsche bugatti then the capable golf GTI, mercedez SLS AMG, BMW M3, M5 should also not be compared with their Italian counter parts.

if you agree to this then I will never compare a jap to German again or accept the Germans are always kings to japs, even though we know reliability of the Germans ain't worth their price.

1 Like

Re: Let's Save The Big 3 by abatically(m): 2:58pm On Jun 16, 2015
watchworldpro:

U created a thread about German Cars having poor second hand value and then u come up with this comment. Haven't u already shot urself on the leg? Thos who are willing to pay? If u are willing to pay then get a new Benz not used. U already know the reason why they have poor second hand value, I mean who wants to pay more for a car u will probably spend a lot fixing.

If u intend buying a 15 year old mercedez Benz or BMW for more than its market worth all in the name of saving the BIG 3, then knock urself out. Very good for the car dealer.

(1) (Reply)

Age Of Terminator :robot Kills Man At Auto Factory / CAUGHT: Volks-wagen Falsify Diesel Engine Emissions Rate / Fuel Consumption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.