Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,922 members, 7,835,081 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:26 AM

Mimiko Wins - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mimiko Wins (2547 Views)

Yorubaland Is Better Protected With OPC Than Conventional Police - Mimiko / Mimiko Wins Ondo Gubernatorial Poll / ACN Governors Are Fake Progressives - Mimiko (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mimiko Wins by vwvw(m): 12:50pm On Feb 23, 2009
grin grin grin up mimiko
Re: Mimiko Wins by karlken(m): 12:57pm On Feb 23, 2009
Up Mimiko! grin grin cheesy
Re: Mimiko Wins by Kx: 1:06pm On Feb 23, 2009
Up Maurice Iwu,sorry,shame to Maurice Iwu
Re: Mimiko Wins by vwvw(m): 1:08pm On Feb 23, 2009
The court of Appeal sitting in Edo state has nullified the governorship election of Ondo State in landmark judgenment lasting several hours. The appeal court justice sited several flaws in the conduct of the elections and declared the winner of the election held over years ago as olusegun Mimiko of the labour party.

The sitting governor of the PDP was absent at the venue of the meeting and was not immediately availaable to make a comment As the court ended proceedings, there were jubilant scenes in Akure and several cities in Ondo state. Mr Mimiko was surrounded by several cameramen as he  fielded questions after the ruling after the verdict. the governor praised the judiciary saying he will not fail the people, [url]http://connectafrica./2009/02/23/mimiko-wins/ grin grin grin grin grin[/url]
Re: Mimiko Wins by meexteriox(m): 1:29pm On Feb 23, 2009
The judiciary has once again refilled the almost hopeless pot of Nigeria democracy.
It is a victory well deserved, congrats to IROKO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Mimiko Wins by vwvw(m): 1:32pm On Feb 23, 2009
In Akure there is huge security presence; stern looking mobile policemen have been stationed around prominent government buildings around oba ile, Ijapo, Oyemekun and the commercial district of oja oba.  most shops are closed and there's limited movement-almost a ghost town. but there is a big sense of relief and muted joy in Akure-which is a strong hold of mimiko
Re: Mimiko Wins by AKO1(m): 1:33pm On Feb 23, 2009
Chei, so there is still justice in this Nigeria. . . cheesy
Re: Mimiko Wins by Afaukwu: 1:36pm On Feb 23, 2009
Justice may be delayed but may not be denied. To which party does Mimiko belong again?
Re: Mimiko Wins by fyneguy: 1:40pm On Feb 23, 2009
PDP days are numbered in the South West
Re: Mimiko Wins by fatherab1: 1:40pm On Feb 23, 2009
Mimiko stood on the platform of Labour Party. He was sponsored by strongmen like Bola Tinubu. The AC in Ondo failed to give Mimiko the platform so the National AC adopted the ondo LP.
Re: Mimiko Wins by meexteriox(m): 1:42pm On Feb 23, 2009
Labour Party
Re: Mimiko Wins by gbolah1(m): 1:44pm On Feb 23, 2009
I congratulate the man, how I wish is the same in ekiti instead of council the 10 local government election, the judges should have courageous enough to declare Fayemi the winner of April 14 2007 election
Re: Mimiko Wins by vwvw(m): 2:02pm On Feb 23, 2009
grin grin grin grin on osrc-the state's political sloganeering media outfit-its music and congratulatory message galore for the new governor-olusegun mimiko
Re: Mimiko Wins by tjadeba(m): 2:15pm On Feb 23, 2009
as i have always advocated, Iwu(Originally Ewu,igbo meaning for Goat) should be sent to Jail for making a mess of our democracy.His co-horts in the electoral malpractices that chracterised the last general elections.

For this,i say congratz to Mimiko,the ondo state people who have voted for him and stood behind him in the struggle and the incorruptible Judges of the both the tribunal and the court of appeal sitting in Benin.
Re: Mimiko Wins by veloce(m): 2:15pm On Feb 23, 2009
grin grin grin grin
you know i never believe justice is possible in this country until today/
when adams was given back his mandate i thought it a fluke  because the guy is well known and they just want to possibly play game with edo but now i AM CONVINCE beyond reasonable doubt that there exist TRUE rule of law and that NIGERIA will rank among the BIG country in near future.
To all other contenders or pretender in govt house ,the day of judgement is at hand.
Re: Mimiko Wins by debosky(m): 2:23pm On Feb 23, 2009
Another one bites the dust! cheesy

I wonder what Agagu will do now. Will Mimiko's term start from when he was sworn in or from May 2007?

PDP just rigged their way to power in the South. I wonder how many more elections will be overturned. Edo, Ekiti, now Ondo?
Re: Mimiko Wins by AKO1(m): 2:28pm On Feb 23, 2009
debosky:

PDP just rigged their way to power in the South. I wonder how many more elections will be overturned. Edo, Ekiti, now Ondo?

Oyo is next, just watch. grin
Re: Mimiko Wins by Jairzinho(m): 2:40pm On Feb 23, 2009
Oyo  go hard becos they had a relatively weak opposition candidate & Adedibu factor. But next time around ,  . .  . . .

I'm happy for Mimiko and Nigeria in general. But imagine all that has been lost? From what i gathered,Agagu knew he was leaving & spent the state to stupor.

In an ideal environment all these vote riggers(including but not limited to Iwu,OBJ ) should end up in jail. But not Nigeria,anything goes. . . . . .really sad,but at least some cheering news from an otherwise really bleak situation sad sad sad sad
Re: Mimiko Wins by bgees(m): 2:48pm On Feb 23, 2009
pdp should really be ashamed . but its nigeria were politicians don't have shame.
Re: Mimiko Wins by adefo(m): 2:55pm On Feb 23, 2009
i hope that osun judgement will also be fair as this, because this party destroying people [PDP] of a thing must stop.
Re: Mimiko Wins by fatherab1: 2:56pm On Feb 23, 2009
HOT AND FRESH FROM PUNCH
Court of Appeal declares Mimiko Ondo governor
By Hamed Shobiye
Published: Monday, 23 Feb 2009
BREAKING NEWS: The Court of Appeal in Benin has declared the governorship candidate of the Labour Party in Ondo State, Dr. Olusegun Rahman Mimiko, as the winner of the April 2007 gubernatorial election in the state.

Skip to next paragraph

File
Mimiko

In a unanimous decision by a panel of five justices led by the President of the Court of Appeal, Justice Umaru Abdullahi, the court upheld the decision of the Ondo State Election Petitions Tribunal, that had on July 25, 2008 declared Mimiko as the winner of the election. The appeal court said Mimiko, a medical doctor, won in 12 out of the 18 local governments of the state.

By this decision, the sitting governor, Dr. Olusegun Agagu, has been removed from office. The removal of Agagu, who is of the Peoples Democratic Party, has reduced the ruling party‘s control of states in Nigeria to 25, with Ekiti State, where the appeal court on February 17, 2009 ordered for a rerun governorship election in 90 days, still hanging in the balance.

Mimiko‘s ascension to office follows an acrimonious battle since 2007 between him and Agagu. Both were formerly of the PDP, before Mimiko‘s bid to clinch the governorship ticket in 2007 was truncated by ex-President Olusegun Obasanjo.

Mimiko is a former minister of Housing and Urban Development and has been a Secretary to the State Government in Ondo State.

The Labour Party was formed along ideologies espoused by the Nigeria Labour Congress, as the only pro-workers‘ political party in Nigeria. It was the initial platform on which the former NLC President, Mr. Adams Oshiomhole, sought to run for governor of Edo State in 2007. However, due to political exigencies, Oshiomhole later dumped the LP and moved to the Action Congress.

He was eventually declared winner of the April 2007 governorship election by the appeal court on November 11, 2008. The LP has thus joined other opposition parties which control states in Nigeria such as the Action Congress, All Nigeria Peoples Party, the Progressive Peoples Alliance and All Progressive Grand Alliance.

Former governor of Anambra State, Dr. Chris Ngige, was the first governor to be removed through the judicial process in the Fourth Republic. After his removal in March 2006 by the appeal court, other governors similarly ousted include Senator Liyel Imoke (Cross River); Ibrahim Idris (Kogi); Sir Celestine Omehia (Rivers); Mr. Andy Uba (Anambra); Murtala Nyako (Adamawa); Mr. Segun Oni (Ekiti); Prof. Oserheimen Osunbor (Edo).

However, Imoke, Nyako and Idris returned to office after winning the rerun elections in their states, as ordered by the appeal court. Omehia was removed by the Supreme Court and replaced with Mr. Chibuike Amaechi, whom the apex court said was wrongly substituted as the PDP’s governorship candidate.

There are reports of wild jubilation on the streets of the Ondo State capital, Akure, while officials of Agagu’s ousted administration have been moving their property out of official quarters since Sunday,
Re: Mimiko Wins by JJYOU: 3:10pm On Feb 23, 2009
another fine mess produced & directed by obasanjo and co. how do these guys sleep at night?

where are the PDP people on NL?
Re: Mimiko Wins by Jairzinho(m): 3:30pm On Feb 23, 2009
JJYOU:

another fine mess produced & directed by obasanjo and co. how do these guys sleep at night?

where are the PDP people on NL?

You can say that again. . . . . . . really sad indeed. Two years wasted.
Re: Mimiko Wins by Emperoh(m): 3:55pm On Feb 23, 2009
Pls whats Maurice Iwu still doing in office
Are these cancelled elections not an indictment on his person?
Some people lack shame and personal pride!!

GOOD RIDANCE TO BAD RUBBISH!!
Re: Mimiko Wins by MaiSuya(m): 4:17pm On Feb 23, 2009
Down goes PDP!!!
Re: Mimiko Wins by citizenY(m): 4:25pm On Feb 23, 2009
The beginning of the end.

Surely, PDP is leaving the Southwest. People have th be very vigilant.These people will become very desperate and will try all the tricks in the book including throwing us into confusion.

Let us maintain a clear head, push on for justice. I have always maintained that Nigeria can only move with the demise of PDP. This party must die and the time is now.

Regretfully, we were caught unawares or more specifically people in the north were docile and PDP got away unscathed. Now they are using marriage, to keep the herd together.

Evil can never be concealed for long. With what is happening in Lagos, people have seen the light. PDP is a dinosaur

Nigerians wake up, this is the time to begin the battle for 2011, PDP must be removed from power.

MIMIKO IROKO, take a bow, na u biko. Next turn, EKITI and DELTA
Re: Mimiko Wins by lucabrasi(m): 4:34pm On Feb 23, 2009
seems tinubu is slowly becoming one of the strongest power brokers both in south east and nigerian political circles,especially with the dynamics of ac and fayose in ekiti and osun state seemingly shaky for pdp
Re: Mimiko Wins by AKO1(m): 4:35pm On Feb 23, 2009
U see, they've been packing since yesterday, they knew.
Re: Mimiko Wins by coolguyz(m): 4:57pm On Feb 23, 2009
NL pdp?, they are busy carting away remaining ghana-must-go bags and packing spoons and other household items dey can pack b4 d lawful occupiers drive reach ondo from benin to take over grin grin grin
Re: Mimiko Wins by debosky(m): 5:04pm On Feb 23, 2009
@ Luca

Do you mean South West?

This marks a second candidate foisted on a state against it's will - Osunbor and then Agagu. Akala might be getting jittery now, though I think in Oyinlola's case, he has a pretty solid base in Osun.
Re: Mimiko Wins by coolguyz(m): 5:21pm On Feb 23, 2009
as for osun, i guess cos dey bungled the case from the start, it wasnt well handled and they played ryt into the hands of the pdp legal team, !
Re: Mimiko Wins by otokx(m): 5:36pm On Feb 23, 2009
there is an iroko in Ondo state.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Owners Of Nigeria / Breaking News: London Money Laundering Trial: Theresa Ibori Sentenced To 5 Years / Has Anybody Ever Come Across Kemi Omololu Olunloyo?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.