Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,848 members, 7,813,880 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:30 PM

Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card (39887 Views)

Stop Using Easy Passwords For Your ATM Cards, Mobile banki. A Nairalander Warns. / Precautionary Tips To Help Minimize Scam On Your Atm/debit/credit Cards / Top 3 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Hold Your ATM Card In Your Hand While On Queue!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by thoollz: 5:13pm On Jun 16, 2015
grin
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by An2elect2(f): 5:13pm On Jun 16, 2015
I have never done this but will have to now....here in camp(nysc) you cant get a pass to go out and withdraw.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by Pope22(m): 5:13pm On Jun 16, 2015
Without your pin, nobody will ever use your atm card for any online transaction. These days, not only that most online transaction needs your 4 digit pin, they also need what is called OTP (one time password) which will always be sent to your mobile, you supply the numbers before you continue any online transaction. If somebody can use your atm card for online transaction without your pin, you think you are safe moving or going out with your card? When armed robbers see you along the road, they don't need to ask for your money, they would have been collecting atm cards and selling to people or use it themselves.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by samuelson06(m): 5:13pm On Jun 16, 2015
Mr. Blogger, please go and research well. Your facts ain't right.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by Aspiregreat: 5:15pm On Jun 16, 2015
devigblegble:
Boys must chop na o

Smh undecided shocked. ,
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by bobchigar(m): 5:17pm On Jun 16, 2015
That's nice. We are learning.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jun 16, 2015
Okay
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jun 16, 2015
only?
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by bamac(m): 5:19pm On Jun 16, 2015
You will v a reason to giv som1 ur ATM at a point in time joo, dnt teach ppl wat they might not do on a normal condition.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by Ahmed4002(m): 5:21pm On Jun 16, 2015
Brandnew2:

They don't ask for a token while shopping online. Are you a learner?

Can you open a PayPal with out a self token.?

I guess it has been a while you shop online.
When you shop online as of recent the first they do ask for verification is valid ID bearing the card holder name, bank statement.

But may be it depends on your bank.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by Akinrogun(m): 5:24pm On Jun 16, 2015
ATM PALAVER There was this girl I met on facebook. She stays at Ho while I stay in Kumasi . I asked her to come down to Bantama to see me and she said she will come if I agree to give her GH¢200 when she is going back. I agreed and asked her to come. She came and after enjoying ourselves throughout the weekend, she was ready to go. I gave her my GCB ATM card for her to go and withdraw as much as she wants, knowing fully well that I had only GH ¢20 in my account. She was so happy while she was leaving. As soon as she left, I also closed my doors and left to a friend cause I was sure she will come back. 10 minutes later, I received a call from my elder brother that he has deposited GH ¢40,000 in my account for me to help him keep to process his visa. I shouted "Oh My God!!!" and before I could even panic, I received an alert on my phone, "GH¢1000 has been debited from your account via ATM". That was how I kept seeing alerts from friday till the whole GH ¢40,000 was gone on monday morning , even the miserable GH ¢20 I had was gone due to transactions

6 Likes

Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by NnamdiN: 5:26pm On Jun 16, 2015
Brandnew2:

they do. With visa, you need to input your Ipin for the transaction to go through and for Mastercard, the token is sent to your

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by Cyriloha(m): 5:27pm On Jun 16, 2015
Brandnew2:
True and true. If you ever give me your ATM card thinking it's safe without the pin. All your money will be donated to Konga and Jumia. grin

Side note.. A rich female friend of mine actually handed me her ATM card and PIN to withdraw some money and I couldn't help but wonder how dumb that could be given that I may decide to withdraw the expected amount while she gets the alert only for me to go on a shopping spree months later.

But I never did that cuz I'm trustworthy. cheesy
hahahh Bro I have been giving others CHIEFTENCY but vi will give you THIEF-TENCY TITLE trustworthy kooo
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by DBlackCeazer(m): 5:28pm On Jun 16, 2015
Brandnew2:

oga, I recently acquired a token. And couldn't buy stuff from Ali express. Prior now I shop thru Ali express. So you re safe when you use a token. I use a master card, can't tell if it's the same with others.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jun 16, 2015
Kofacts:

OK, heading looking kind of bead right, yea, my bad but this is one issue I have seen so many People complain of. Gone are the days when we just have to be conscious of just our ATM pin that people can now access your account when they have access to your Pin. I never believed in that though even till today. But the issue of giving out ATM is one I can attest to as being real.

1. SHOPPING ONLINE: With your ATM card, you can easily shop online from anyplace in the Country. Now I want to break this clearly. Your ATM card has 16 Digit number at the front part of the card depending if it is MasterCard, Visa or verve but it always come with a pin. Looking at the back of that card is another important digit. This digit is known as the Security (Card verification value). With this pin and your card number, everything is settled. Those involved in internet marketing can attest to this.

2. SCAM JOBS: This is same story with No. 1 but in different format. Somebody that has an idea on internet stuff can easily use your account to fulfill his mission. Most Hosting companies, Domain registrar and the rest of them make use of your card number and pin so you know what that means when the scammer get hold of your details, he would use it to purchase tons of domain till your account blinks and might even use it to start his own domain registration company lol.

There are so many other things that can be achieved with this details which I won’t advice you to learn after you must have fallen victim for this.
How to prevent falling victim for this ?
It’s very simple. By safeguarding your card just the way we keep our pin ,is the best solution to this.
We can no longer trust people in this generation anymore.
Source:http://www.scholarsjoint.com/2015/06/reasons-why-you-should-never-give.html
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jun 16, 2015
Cyriloha:

hahahh Bro I have been giving others CHIEFTENCY but vi will give you THIEF-TENCY TITLE trustworthy kooo
Biko!....grin
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by Nobody: 5:30pm On Jun 16, 2015
NnamdiN:
they do. With visa, you need to input your Ipin for the transaction to go through and for Mastercard, the token is sent to your phone.
hmmm! I see. Maybe you're right but it's still not safe.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jun 16, 2015
Ahmed4002:

Can you open a PayPal with out a self token.?

I guess it has been a while you shop online.
When you shop online as of recent the first they do ask for verification is valid ID bearing the card holder name, bank statement.

But may be it depends on your bank.

No one is talking about Paypal here.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by Ahmed4002(m): 5:32pm On Jun 16, 2015
Brandnew2:

No one is talking about Paypal here.
is PayPal not a method of payment?
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jun 16, 2015
@OP maybe the type bank u are using is a dumb bank, for my bank u cant buy shit online even if i hand over my atm plus password to u without giving u my phone, cus they will send token security no to my mobine no which u will use to complete ur transaction and without dat u can do any shit.

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by Nobody: 5:34pm On Jun 16, 2015
DBlackCeazer:
oga, I recently acquired a token. And couldn't buy stuff from Ali express. Prior now I shop thru Ali express. So you re safe when you use a token. I use a master card, can't tell if it's the same with others.

What about Konga and Jumia?

I don't do online shopping so I wouldn't know. Been a while I even checked them out.

But at some point, tokens are not required to make a purchase online. You only need that for online banking purposes.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by tellwisdom: 5:35pm On Jun 16, 2015
Poor people...Go ahead and withdraw my money. I have enough angry....Poor peoplesad
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by Ahmed4002(m): 5:35pm On Jun 16, 2015
Brandnew2:

I guess you the learner now grin
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by NnamdiN: 5:36pm On Jun 16, 2015
Brandnew2:
to some extent, yes.
Coz those days, when I wanna tap airtime from my pupsi phone, I hold on to the phone till all the transfer alerts are done coming cool
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jun 16, 2015
Ahmed4002:
is PayPal not a method of payment?

We are talking about debit card payments here. Abeg don't drag me into and unnecessary argument.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by Cyriloha(m): 5:38pm On Jun 16, 2015
Brandnew2:
Biko!....grin
no don't begg me you must take aam. .....oya take this title ogba aka ezu oshii one of igbo land

..........noise of applause sorry hand of apples for new Emire of thieves Obe! !!!!!
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by otetwo: 5:39pm On Jun 16, 2015
The issue on the ATM I can give my ATM card to anybody to withdraw money for me so far is the person I trust and in the issue of someone shopping with my ATM is not possible cos the pin for ATM machine is totally different from online pin, the only thing risky there is if the person use the ATM on pos which I will get immediate alert
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by Ahmed4002(m): 5:39pm On Jun 16, 2015
Brandnew2:

We are talking about debit card payments here. Abeg don't drag me into and unnecessary argument.

Thank God your recent post
You haven't check out online.

So Paypal is not a debit card payment.

I don die grin

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by Nobody: 5:41pm On Jun 16, 2015
Mr Cyriloha

Niqqa..I don't speak igbo but I bet you can trust me with your life. grin
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jun 16, 2015
Ahmed4002:

Thank God your recent post You haven't check out online.
So Paypal is not a debit card payment.
I don die grin
Like I said....I'm not interested in any argument.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by DBlackCeazer(m): 5:44pm On Jun 16, 2015
Brandnew2:

What about Konga and Jumia?

I don't do online shopping so I wouldn't know. Been a while I even checked them out.

But at some point, tokens are not required to make a purchase online. You only need that for online banking purposes.
I don't make the mistake of paying Konga or on any Nigerian shopping portal via my card, cause of uncertain delivery time, so I can't speak on that . And yes you might be able to pay on some sites without token, be I am yet to find one that works since I acquired a token.
Re: Reasons Why You Should Never Give "Anyone" Your ATM Card by DBlackCeazer(m): 5:46pm On Jun 16, 2015
tellwisdom:
Poor people...Go ahead and withdraw my money. I have enough angry....Poor peoplesad
oya, your card details. Sharply.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tony Elumelu Spends Sallah Holidays With Brother Ndudi In Delta (Video) / Gtbank Clarifies Fake News Regarding Innoson / 5 Creative Way To Make Money In 2016 Without Any Capital Investment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.