Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,308 members, 7,819,050 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:36 AM

Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? (1671 Views)

I'm Having A Problem With This Qbasic. Who Can Help? / I Need A Tutorial On DBMS / Learn Qbasic Programming Language In 14 Days (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by d0uph1x: 2:47pm On Jun 16, 2015
Im trying to develop any application for a store, where i need to store all goods in d store to a databse and update based on sales....but im not too sure qbasic can interact with any db
Re: Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by CodeHouse: 8:43am On Jun 17, 2015
d0uph1x:
Im trying to develop any application for a store, where i need to store all goods in d store to a databse and update based on sales....but im not too sure qbasic can interact with any db

Why QBASIC? it is not relevant as the trend in computing demands what QBASIC cannot give. I will advise to start with VBASIC.
Re: Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by HCpaul(m): 8:52am On Jun 17, 2015
CodeHouse:

Why QBASIC? it is not relevant as the trend in computing demands what QBASIC cannot give. I will advise to start with VBASIC.

Don't be decieved, it depends on the version you are using. Most version that are downloaded online ain't complete. But i hav one that can do this great job. Although qbasic is nt for 2dayz technology sha.
Re: Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by CodeHouse: 9:19am On Jun 17, 2015
HCpaul:

Don't be decieved, it depends on the version you are using. Most version that are downloaded online ain't complete. But i hav one that can do this great job. Although qbasic is nt for 2dayz technology sha.

If you know QBASIC is not for today's technology why is there a need for your response? I have simply told the OP the truth and that is waht you are repeating. I am also not sure you know that QBASIC is now legacy? It has no support and you should not be expecting a new release? What version of QBASIC do you have that is more complete than what others have?
Re: Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by HCpaul(m): 5:15pm On Jun 17, 2015
CodeHouse:

If you know QBASIC is not for today's technology why is there a need for your response? I have simply told the OP the truth and that is waht you are repeating. I am also not sure you know that QBASIC is now legacy? It has no support and you should not be expecting a new release? What version of QBASIC do you have that is more complete than what others have?

Guy i was once an expert in qbasic, and i know the difference between the version nd product am talking about, compare to d one dat i downloaded on the net. Well, am nt 4 argument here.
I surrender!
Re: Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by CodeHouse: 5:46pm On Jun 17, 2015
HCpaul:

Guy i was once an expert in qbasic, and i know the difference between the version nd product am talking about, compare to d one dat i downloaded on the net. Well, am nt 4 argument here.
I surrender!

I am not fighting either...
Re: Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by d0uph1x: 9:59am On Jun 19, 2015
Wow....please be calm....we all learn by the day....Hcpaul please can i get that version from yu...though i know qbasic is nt fr tdays tech,i work wt cplusplus and python....bt i really want to run this in qbasic...thanks codehouse and Hcpaul, i really appreciate
Re: Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by GuiltySpark343(m): 10:32am On Jun 19, 2015
i have never used qbasic but basic itself,even if it is possible the programming effort on your part would be enormous, using oop oriented language could be more prudent and the are also designed to work with a myriad of database(s)
Re: Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by CodeHouse: 4:27pm On Jun 19, 2015
d0uph1x:
Wow....please be calm....we all learn by the day....Hcpaul please can i get that version from yu...though i know qbasic is nt fr tdays tech,i work wt cplusplus and python....bt i really want to run this in qbasic...thanks codehouse and Hcpaul, i really appreciate

Godspeed my friend
Re: Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by Standing5(m): 8:11pm On Jun 19, 2015
CodeHouse, long time.
Re: Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by Nobody: 6:54am On Jun 20, 2015
d0uph1x:
Yes it can be done. Have you ever heard of a flat file system of database. You save your data right inside text file, and parse it line for line.
Re: Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by d0uph1x: 7:54am On Jun 20, 2015
dhtml18:

Yes it can be done. Have you ever heard of a flat file system of database. You save your data right inside text file, and parse it line for line.
i know of using text files but i had a problem updating the text file based on users input..thats y i asked d question.
Re: Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by seunthomas: 10:06am On Jun 20, 2015
d0uph1x:

i know of using text files but i had a problem updating the text file based on users input..thats y i asked d question.
You can use CSV its much easier to manipulate and has structure. CSV file is:
Name,Address,Age
Seun Thomas,Lagos,100
Also i hope this is just school work. QBasic is an ancient of days language.
Re: Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by seunthomas: 10:07am On Jun 20, 2015
QBasic can actually work with a DBMS but you would have to write the database driver from scratch. Thats not a small job. For a newbie might be very very hard.
Re: Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by Nobody: 10:52am On Jun 20, 2015
^^^Except it is a very special project i shall never advise it. I have a very acake proposition.

The time i used qbasic, i explored all the commands and did not ever come across anything like dbms.

I remember Qbasic can access shell command on msdos via i think shell command or something like that just like visual basic.
So why not ehm write a c/c++/java commandline app to interface with the dbms so that you can send your queries right out of qbasic to the command shell for processing?
And i think, am not sure again if qbasic can get results from the command shell.

This technique works on android - for example, if you have an app called com.nairaland on your android device,

And your android device is connected to your pc in debug mode and all that setup, you can run query an sqlite database directly from the app residing on your phone right from your pc and get the result on your pc.
adb shell sqlite3 /data/data/com.nairaland.providers.settings/databases/settings.db "select name from users where name = 'dhtml'"
Re: Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by CodeHouse: 1:40pm On Jun 20, 2015
Standing5:
CodeHouse, long time.

Yup mate! Countless projects, besides it can be very borrrring here at times.
Re: Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by CodeHouse: 1:59pm On Jun 20, 2015
You don't have to go through all these because you want to save records in a database, OP I understand you like QBASIC but don't limit yourself to that knowledge, using VBASIC or any other would save you lots of troubles also keep in mind updates of your application, other programmers who already program with likes of VC++,Python,Java, etc can't continue with your work, they'll rather re-write the app with OOPL.
Re: Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by d0uph1x: 1:30pm On Jun 27, 2015
Thanks to you all....im greatful.I will develop the application in cpp or python
Re: Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Jun 27, 2015
^^^You can even use visual basic 6 - still very close to qbasic.
Re: Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by Nobody: 7:56am On Jun 28, 2015
@op, switch to Visual Basic.
Re: Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by Nobody: 8:49am On Jun 28, 2015
d0uph1x:

guy, i see u are proficient in basic language.........just download visual basic express 2008 and continue ur exploration. Same syntax with qbasic. Advantages of visual basic.net;
gives u a graphical user interface than cmd line
provides u with ado.net and mssql database express
tons of tutorials and resources to make u an expert
etc
except ure a doing a boring school assignment, then vb.net is the better way to go for you.
Re: Can Qbasic Interact With Any DBMS ? by Nobody: 10:29am On Jun 28, 2015
^^^Why not just download visual basic 2012 abi na 2013 sef? Because you wey never get .NET experience, by the time you upgrade to 2013, you are going to be in for some surprises i tell you.

(1) (Reply)

My Php Code Does Not Execute But Displays Code On Browser, / Learn Python Django In A Week / Checkout This Conversation Between My Two Chatbots

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.