Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,163 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:27 AM

24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage (1897 Views)

How Mothers Advertise Their Daughters For Marriage In Form Of Birthday Wishes / 5 Reasons Why You Should Teach Your Kids To Drive Before 15(pics) / Nigerian Parents And Their Daughters: Hilarious Photo Of The Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by Nobody: 11:33pm On Jun 16, 2015
1. My daughter, don’t cause a separation between your man and his siblings; it could be dangerous for you when they finally speak with one voice.

2. My daughter, I know that some of you girls don’t wish to marry a man whose mother is still alive, don’t ever think like that, if you do, well, I think your son’s wife- to-be should start wishing you're dead now.

3. My daughter, listen to me, when I married your father, he was as tiny as his salary but I chose to grow with him and today, those
cars out there are some of the results of what we started so little, together, and we’re proud looking at them.

4. My daughter, there is this thing i see happening in your time, some of you girls now get pregnant before the wedding day, well, it never happened in our time because no matter what, we never opened our laps before the wedding.

5. My daughter, well, yes, I once locked up the cloth of your father because I got to my limit of patience and that was the only thing I could do, but one thing I haven’t said was that we settled the issue that same day and that was the last time I tried that.

6. My daughter, look up there. That’s the wedding picture of your father and I, look at him smiling, I know you've seen it many times but what you did not know is that your father was angry before taking this picture, I hope you find a man whose anger doesn't last till the next day.

7. My daughter, when your Father was riding a bicycle, I was always happy to hop on it and ride with him, not because I didn't see those men in their little cars but because my eyes also saw those men trekking to their farms.

8. My daughter, if you and your husband eat a little food with love, you both would be satisfied. Times are not always the same;
support him in every phase he’s passing through.

9. My daughter, don’t ever close your laps to your husband in bed, the day he paid your dowry was the day you lost your will to do so, don’t be stiff and try to satisfy him even if you were angry with him.

10. My daughter, a man would respect you and be more proud of you if you’re learned and not totally dependent on him. Strive to
make your own money and while you're at it, be humble.

11. My daughter, under the cocoa tree that I did meet with your Father was open and good enough for our discussions, yes; it was open and good enough if you understand what I mean.

12. My daughter, in our time, we had sexy legs and firm bosoms to show our men, in fact, we had the finest ones, yet, when we dress, we cover those parts of our body, not because we were not civilized as you people would call it, but because we know that the eyes of men are hungry, many of them would only come, touch and go their way.

13. My daughter, there is this thing you girls now practice, they say it’s feminism. Well, you can prove to be equal to a man in the society but please, not in your marriage because at my old age, I don’t want to start counting your husbands.

14. My daughter, marriage is not a Rehabilitation Centre, if he’s not good enough for you before marriage, nothing he does would be good enough after marriage.

15. My daughter, you can see I still wear my night gown, yes, because to my husband; your father, I still want to look sexy. So, take good care of your body, look good for your man and don’t look like a grandma after giving birth.

16. My daughter, I’m your mother and still, I'm not interested in you coming to me always if anything goes wrong with your
husband. Though nowadays I see some mothers controlling the homes of their sons and daughters, I would only say; shame on
them!

17. My daughter, for you to have a peaceful home and well-trained children, have one voice with your husband, join him to say NO
when he’s saying NO before the kids but later when you both are alone, you can plead with him for a YES, if not, the children will see a loophole to misbehave, either to you or their father.

18. My daughter, if you chose to live together with a man that you’re yet to be married to , and you are complaining that he
hasn't proposed to you, oh, he already did. Whatever he said that made you start living with him was his proposal.

19. My daughter, your generation does not see any pride in been a virgin before marriage, it’s a shame! Your father met me a virgin and he brought more yams to my parents and up till today, he’s still proud of me when we discuss in that direction.

20. My daughter, I know that no man out there is complete, but when you are looking for your tall, slim, fair and handsome, if he’s
a woman-beater, please, go for the short, fat, dark and ugly that will give you the respect you deserve as a woman.

21. My daughter, know, learn and respect the culture and lifestyle of whoever you chose to marry . In some part of Africa, you knee down to greet your man’s parents while in some part outside Africa; you can even call them by their first name and ask for abhandshake. Whatever they believe in, if you've chosen him, believe it with him also.

22. My daughter, don’t ever try to date a married man, whether his excuse was that he doesn't find happiness with his wife or he would have married you if he had met you first, if you ever try it, I curse you already.

23. My daughter, when I say over 52 years of marriage, it wasn't that I did not see any reason to leave your father, I saw a lot of
them but I bear his faults, i forgave him to stay married.

24. My daughter, these are part of the wisdom i have gathered over the years. And If I had taken my time to tell you all these, and your marriage doesn't last like that of your father and I, then I had wished i never gave birth to you.

Source: www.coachdexplorer.com/2014/12/24-elders-words-of-wisdom-for-ladies-in.html?m=1

For those with extreme feminist views, angry please read the link below before commenting. It will help lower your blood pressure.

www.nairaland.com/2385872/24-things-african-dads-should#34858153
Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by TheRealAdonye(m): 2:39am On Jun 17, 2015
I think Society expects a lot from Women.
Not that it's wrong but we should hold Men to equal standards or even higher..

My daughter, when I say over 52 years of marriage, it wasn't that I did not see any reason to leave your father, I saw a lot of
them but I bear his faults, i forgave him to stay married.

^^
This I'm not sure about. If your Husband's behavior changes suddenly, there's an underlying reason, probably Spiritual (you know because we're Africans). You should know how to pray for him because Beeches be crazy. I've heard about a loving man who just started beating his wife and took a second wife. He later sent the first one packing. About 3 years later, he just woke up from sleep and asked for his wife. It turns out that there had been spiritual scales on his eyes the whole time.
However, if your Husband beats you from the word 'Go', or has even been beating you since y'all were dating, leave the Dude.
Actually, if he was beating you since you've been together and you still married him because you want to get married, please do stay. Also do us the favor of not procreating, We have enough Stu.pid people in the world already.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by saintneo(m): 4:18am On Jun 17, 2015
nice, daughters and sons alike should learn [url=dreamingnigeria..com/2015/06/fifty-attributes-of-successful-people.html]50 Attributes of Successful People[/url]. Read, leave your comments, and share with your friends.
Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by Jamean(f): 5:48am On Jun 17, 2015
So what will Men read undecided

Society leaves so much responsibility on the woman to build a home. Most men just stand aloof in the name of provider....and trust me no home can be a good success without the complementing effort of both partners.

saintneo:
nice, daughters should learn [url=dreamingnigeria..com/2015/06/fifty-attributes-of-successful-people.html]50 Attributes of Successful People[/url]. Read, leave your comments, and share with your friends.

2 Likes

Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by TheRealAdonye(m): 7:08am On Jun 17, 2015
This is what men would read.
Btw ControlX, add your Source to the Article.

Jamean:
Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by Moana(f): 7:27am On Jun 17, 2015
Women are meant to be perfect and men should be accepted with the faults they come with. Im sorry who is the head of the house again?

4 Likes

Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by Nobody: 7:37am On Jun 17, 2015
Trash! Nonsense and gibberish.
Some people would now come and write that Chimamanda is wrong when she opined that articles should be written teaching men how to be a good husband.

2 Likes

Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by Nobody: 7:40am On Jun 17, 2015
Moana:
Women are meant to be perfect and men should be accepted with the faults they come with. Im sorry who is the head of the house again?
I tire o.
These guys are pathetic.
Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by Nobody: 8:35am On Jun 17, 2015
TheRealAdonye:
This is what men would read.
Btw ControlX, add your Source to the Article.

Done!
I think it goes both ways too. However, women have a greater influence over society in a way. For example, if a man is cheating on his wife, it is because another woman somewhere else has given him gate pass to her utopia. But if all women were to maintain a strict immigration policy regarding their bodies, how else would men cheat? Think about that.

1 Like

Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by Jamean(f): 8:41am On Jun 17, 2015
The same imperfect man undecided

Moana:
Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by Moana(f): 8:53am On Jun 17, 2015
Jamean:
The same imperfect man undecided

i thought only a perfect man deserves a perfect woman
Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by Nobody: 8:56am On Jun 17, 2015
ControlX:

Done!
I think it goes both ways too. However, women have a greater influence over society in a way. For example, if a man is cheating on his wife, it is because another woman somewhere else has given him gate pass to her utopia. But if all women were to maintain a strict immigration policy regarding their bodies, how else would men cheat? Think about that.
What about: For example, if a woman is cheating on her husband, it is because another man somewhere else has given her access to his utopia.
But if all men maintain their dick? How else would women cheat.

SILLY LOGIC!!

7 Likes

Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by saintneo(m): 9:17am On Jun 17, 2015
Jamean:

Society leaves so much responsibility on the woman to build a home. Most men just stand aloof in the name of provider....and trust me no home can be a good success without the complementing effort of both partners.

true talk, I was only trying to direct people(male and female) to read some topics on my blog. Thanks I have edited it.
Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by SAMBARRY: 9:28am On Jun 17, 2015
Moana:
me grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by Nobody: 9:54am On Jun 17, 2015
Jamean:

Your last statement has said everything, it takes two to tango!!! Unfortunately the society doesn't know that esp in Africa but some men are picking up though. .

One thing I will advise women is to be themselves during courtship, so that your man can know your capacity and you too in turn can know whether he's someone that can help out at home. Both of you can now make your decisions as whether to take the next big step...

Some women act all hardworking during courtship, they go beyond their ability just to impress the man, they do all chores without complaints. . After marriage, you see them whining about how their husbands don't help at home as if it wasn't like that during courtship. . Define what you want from the onset...

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by Gloriagee(f): 10:15am On Jun 17, 2015
No wahala bout teaching the woman but who's coaching the guy Lil things like helping to clear the dining table, be gentle with Madam n that marital fidelity is possible.

Someone was telling me that during her marriage counselling in Church, the teacher told the females in the class that even if u walk into Ur hussy cheating on u in ur matrimonial home, it's ur responsibility to forgive the guy cos no one is above mistakes. My question is who's teaching these guys not to cheat?
Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by gostartit(m): 10:51am On Jun 17, 2015
If they worked for the older generations am very sure it will go a long way in keeping modern couples married till death do us apart.
Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by TheRealAdonye(m): 10:56am On Jun 17, 2015
Good Question.

Gloriagee:

My question is who's teaching these guys not to cheat?
Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by Nobody: 11:26am On Jun 17, 2015
VictoriaBee:

What about: For example, if a woman is cheating on her husband, it is because another man somewhere else has given her access to his utopia.

SILLY LOGIC!!
"women have a greater influence over society IN A WAY."
How come you ignored the basis of the example I gave and dived at the example i gave with a scathing insult? I often thought you were a noble young woman but you prove me wrong. Couldn't you have aired your opinion pointedly without letting those strong feminist views of yours becloud your sense of decency and uprightness? I will not reply you henceforth and please do not quote me again.
Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by Nobody: 11:52am On Jun 17, 2015
Gloriagee:
No wahala bout teaching the woman but who's coaching the guy Lil things like helping to clear the dining table, be gentle with Madam n that marital fidelity is possible.

Someone was telling me that during her marriage counselling in Church, the teacher told the females in the class that even if u walk into Ur hussy cheating on u in ur matrimonial home, it's ur responsibility to forgive the guy cos no one is above mistakes. My question is who's teaching these guys not to cheat?

You have a valid point, lady. As it is with the women, so it is with the men. What is good for the goose will do for the gander. But I believe women exert greater influence on society more than men. Although that influence is subtle, yet they shape society greatly. Contrary to what most women think, men are easily manipulatable. As someone once said, a man may be the head but the woman is the neck. And she being the neck, using a little wisdom, turneth the head withersoever she listeth. The dynamics of every relationship differs and so it is wise to suggest principles (not rules) that will help built better relationships and by implication better societies. I believe in women a lot and my very life has been shaped through the very relationship i have had with intelligent and godly women. Men have their part to play but this thread has women in focus hence my emphasis on women. Cheers!

Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by Nobody: 12:01pm On Jun 17, 2015
Men should be taught how to be good husbands.

1 Like

Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by emisquare99: 12:08pm On Jun 17, 2015
Seriously, one has to go through all these just to stay married? undecided is this what marriage is all about?
Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by cococandy(f): 4:55pm On Jun 18, 2015
VictoriaBee:

SILLY LOGIC!!
grin
Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by skyfullofstars(f): 9:42pm On Jun 18, 2015
Im a feminist, I see nothing wrong with that.

Being a feminist doesnt mean being superior to the man, it means equality.

1 Like

Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by papercoin(m): 12:27am On Jun 19, 2015
If you read all through his post then you would have seen this link as regards what men are to do

https://www.nairaland.com/2385872/24-things-african-dads-should#34858153

1 Like

Re: 24 Things African Mums Should Teach Their Daughters Before Marriage by Nobody: 4:19am On Jun 19, 2015
VictoriaBee:
Trash! Nonsense and gibberish.
Some people would now come and write that Chimamanda is wrong when she opined that articles should be written teaching men how to be a good husband.
VictoriaBee smiley

(1) (Reply)

Single Brothers and Sisters, Keep Your Head Up! / Is Anything Wrong With Me? / Updated :Save My Friend's Life (solomon Akinlaja) - Official Document Attached.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.