Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,061 members, 7,810,953 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 07:25 PM

Who Do Christian Worship - God, Jesus Or Their Pastors? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Do Christian Worship - God, Jesus Or Their Pastors? (3781 Views)

10 Ways Youths React When Their Pastors Say They Should Not Engage in Sex / Why Do Christian Men Remove Their Cap In Church? / How Nigerian Christians Make Their Pastors To Sin. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Do Christian Worship - God, Jesus Or Their Pastors? by huxley(m): 12:23pm On Feb 24, 2009
There appears to be a certain cult of Pastor worship amongst many Christian communities, particularly African Christian communities. This has grown to the point where no criticism of any manner of the pastor is tolerated by the members of the communities. The likes of Jim Jones comes to mind, but in the current times we have the likes of Pastor Adeboye, Pastor Chris, etc, etc. Why have Christian so blinded themselves by the teachings and charisma to these charlatans.

The majority of these Christians are so mesmerised by these Pastors that if they were to walk in on the Pastor shagging their partners, they are likely to ask the Pastor to shag them as well. That is the level of the slavish attachment to the charms and falsehood of these pastors.

So who do these Christians venerate? God, Jesus or their Pastors?
Re: Who Do Christian Worship - God, Jesus Or Their Pastors? by Image123(m): 1:51pm On Feb 24, 2009
The christians are meant to obey God rather than men.that means if the requirements are different,then you choose God.Of course God is The Father,The Son Jesus and the Holy Ghost.If the requirements are on the same page with God's,then obey.Obedience to God is not a call for insurbodination.We should obey our leaders(Spiritual and others) as long as it doesn't displease God.
Re: Who Do Christian Worship - God, Jesus Or Their Pastors? by KunleOshob(m): 3:00pm On Feb 24, 2009
@Image
you miss the point, much as i don't like indulging in Huxley's post what he is trying to say is that a lot of christians (especially the pentecostals) idolize their pastors and focus on pastors more than God or Jesus. Most christians don't even understand their faith anymore and this iis due to overdependence on pastors. In my own opinion very few christians and pastors rtruly understand the christian faith well and that is why there is so much division and hypocrisy in the church. The truth is that the teachingsof these pastors help in breeding atheist like Huxley, cos they try to complicate the good news by twisitng it to suit their fancy and make it as vague as possible were as it is quite simple and straight forward
Re: Who Do Christian Worship - God, Jesus Or Their Pastors? by benedictac(f): 3:26pm On Feb 24, 2009
@Kunle, @ Poster,

What do you understand by the word CHRISTIAN?
Re: Who Do Christian Worship - God, Jesus Or Their Pastors? by Ify3: 3:54pm On Feb 24, 2009
Christians worship God the Almighty.

Members of certain denominations defend their pastors when you want you want to speak nonsense against them. Remember, this is not worship.

No child would allow another child to inflict insults on his father. These pastors are the spiritual fathers of their members.

Yes, most of the Christians are crazy about their pastors, because they (pastors) show them the way to salvation. They brought light into their lives.
BUT,
All worship goes to God Almighty.
Re: Who Do Christian Worship - God, Jesus Or Their Pastors? by benedictac(f): 4:00pm On Feb 24, 2009
I-fy:

Members of certain denominations defend their pastors when you want you want to speak nonsense against them. Remember, this is not worship.

No child would allow another child to inflict insults on his father. These pastors are the spiritual fathers of their members.

Yes, most of the Christians are crazy about their pastors, because they (pastors) show them the way to salvation. They brought light into their lives.
BUT,

God bless you.
Re: Who Do Christian Worship - God, Jesus Or Their Pastors? by KunleOshob(m): 4:16pm On Feb 24, 2009
benedictac:

@Kunle, @ Poster,

What do you understand by the word CHRISTIAN?
The word christian was first used in antioch
It was used to described those who believed in the gospel of our lord Jesus Christ.

Acts 11:26:
26 When he found him, he brought him back to Antioch. Both of them stayed there with the church for a full year, teaching large crowds of people. It was at Antioch that the[b] believers were first called Christians[/b].

Beleiveing in the gospel of christ also means keeping his commandments which are basically to love God and to love your Neighbour as your self. These are the two most important things in the practise of christianity after becoming a believer.
Re: Who Do Christian Worship - God, Jesus Or Their Pastors? by KunleOshob(m): 4:23pm On Feb 24, 2009
I-fy:

BUT,
yes they defend these clowns even when it is obvious to the whole world that the passtor is wrong.  That apart some like the mumus in Christ Embassy start perming their hair like their idol and speaking gutter phonetics like you know who. There pastors flaunt ill gotten wealth in their faces and they say it is God's blessings abeg live story a lot of christians would be shocked to their bon marrows on Judgement day. there alreadyy enough warning about these false prophets in the bible.
Re: Who Do Christian Worship - God, Jesus Or Their Pastors? by MrCrackles(m): 4:24pm On Feb 24, 2009
KunleOshob:

yes they defend these clowns even when it is obvious to the whole world that the passtor is wrong. That a part some like the mumus in christ embassy start perming their hair like their idol and speaking gutter phonetics like you know who. There pastors flaunt ill gotten wealth in their faces and they say it is God's blessings abeg live story a lot of christians would be shocked to their bon marrows on Judgement day. there alreadyy enough warning about these false prophets in the bible.

I call it "Royal Brainwashing and Mumu-lization" grin
Re: Who Do Christian Worship - God, Jesus Or Their Pastors? by MrCrackles(m): 4:26pm On Feb 24, 2009
I still think the point of the thread has not been addressed fully!

God, Jesus or pastors?

I want to believe sensible posters who know the deal will say GOD The supreme almighty and not Jesus and not Pastors! grin
Re: Who Do Christian Worship - God, Jesus Or Their Pastors? by Papa(m): 1:05am On Feb 25, 2009
MrCrackles:

I still think the point of the thread has not been addressed fully!

God, Jesus or pastors?

I want to believe sensible posters who know the deal will say GOD The supreme almighty and not Jesus and not Pastors! grin

@MrCrackles,
You know this particular response despite all the stuff people have said, makes me respect something about the way you think!

First about God vs. Jesus, on THAT day (what we commonly call the jugdement day), you will not see God, and then Jesus, and then . . .

The bible talks about only ONE great throne, and Jesus will be seated upon it - "so where will God be?!", you may ask; Well, God is Spirit, Jesus "has" flesh, God will reside and operate from inside the body of Jesus (and for the critical folks, I'll give references in a moment)

God has chosen to do this because the work that Jesus did on earth was complete and perfect! The bible says and you may have commonly heard this passage:

Philippians 2
5 [/b]Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

[b]6 [/b]Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

[b]7 [/b]But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

[b]8 [/b]And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

[b]9 [/b]Wherefore [for this reason,] [b]God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

10 [/b]That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

[b]NOW HERE'S THE REFERENCE I EARLIER PROMISED:

Colossians 1 (King James Version)

13 [/b]Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of[b] his dear Son:

14 [/b]In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

[b]15 [/b]Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature:

[b]16 [/b]For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, and for him:

[b]17 [/b]And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.

[b]18
And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

19 [/b]For i[b]t pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;

Colossians 2 (King James Version)
9 [/b]For [b]in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

All Jesus cares about is God, and all God cares about is Jesus. However, God loves us so much and Jesus becomes common passioned, because He loves our Daddy that much!!!

So that leaves Jesus vs. Pastor: Oh please! Isn't it obvious?! - there's none! ABSOLUTELY NONE, higher than Jesus!

Now to speak on some of these accused pastors. I noticed something about one of them in particular - who happens to be my pastor (AND I WANT TO MAKE IT CLEAR THAT THIS IS MORE MY OBSERVATION THAN A DEFENSE!!!)

The way meetings are mostly structured is that worship is going on when he gets on stage, so no one is clapping, whooing, etc.

I also observed that except he has to end the service otherwise with announcements or other speeches, he would usually sneak off stage after he's instructed: "Lift your hands towards heaven; worship Him(Jesus)", against his instruction, many still have their eyes open and still clap and whoo, etc when he's leaving. . . So why would I blame him?!

I have personally not heard anyone of them instruct or even suggest that they be worshipped, but when people get freaked about their "hero" (in this case someone who brought them the gospel that gave them life), you know how far people would go, so perhaps, you shouldn't be quick to judge the pastors + the bible says ". . .jugde not!"

So, I'd rather keep my opinions to myself and honor that of Jesus ". . . Judge not; that ye be not judged!"

(1) (Reply)

"Pursuing Strategy Of Destruction Of Israel" Is Top Priority: IRGC / Overcoming By Prayer. Sermon And Prayer Points By Pastor E A Adeboye / Book Of Acts (Learn from the Apostles & the early church)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.