Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,104 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:56 AM

9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask (21306 Views)

Whistle-blower: FG Recovers Another $151m, N8b Looted Funds / Okorocha Spotted On A Train In London After Being Embarrassed By IPOB. Photo / 9 Billion Naira Clothing Allowance For National House Of Assembly. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by Kingsasian(m): 12:39pm On Jun 18, 2015
Dannieln1:
Good mornin jesus gud morning lord

I knw you kum 4rm heaven above

9bilion naira don go for clothe

Gud mornin Jesus gud morning Lord....

I go enter Boutique with thanksgiving in my mouth..
hahahahahahaha, this is do hilarious
Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by Emade(m): 12:41pm On Jun 18, 2015
With dis I think nigeria is going anywer
Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by wordcat(m): 12:48pm On Jun 18, 2015
Elslim:
if u r in abuja... dont forget its unity Faustian 2pm prompt. our voices must be heard

Is there any arrangement in Lagos?
Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by larukey: 12:56pm On Jun 18, 2015
since they wanna serve Nigeria, lets just sew uniform for them like corp members. they we dont need the wardrobe allowance

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by rottennaija(m): 12:57pm On Jun 18, 2015
dataconnect316:
Stories our politicians tell
Does this Mb actually work? Or is it another scam?
Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by efembaba(m): 1:02pm On Jun 18, 2015
But I thought they said slavery has been eradicated. Is this not slavery or enslavement at its peak. God go judge!!

1 Like

Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by RedEagle: 1:04pm On Jun 18, 2015
I think it is good that we are talking about these issues now.

Making a democracy work involves more than voting in one party or another every four years. We must learn to hold people accountable and mark them closely.

That said, we should have paid more attention to NASS election than presidential elections because the national assembly is needed to bring lasting change in terms of laws and policies.

We should take #OccupyNASS very seriously before the NASS becomes a spanner in the wheel of our progress.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by illuminaty(m): 1:16pm On Jun 18, 2015
horlabiyi:
Thank God We Don't Need Electricity To Charge Our Permanent Voter Card (PVC) 2019 is close
.....LWKMD,guy ur brain don reason go far reach 2019
Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by willykitty01: 1:19pm On Jun 18, 2015
@op, we need people like you to keep up and sustain this pressure. Nigeria and Nigerian will be better for it. In my view, the lawmakers are hoping this issue like many others will die a natural death. We have to keep up the momentum. Let Nigerians know when you plan a match to the national assembly

2 Likes

Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by tsdarkside(m): 1:28pm On Jun 18, 2015
benedictnsi:

So they should go to sittings Naked Abi!

Odeh headmistress

na you sabi...people that get in this high positions are never poor....

they only deserve their salaries...more they dont deserve!!!! angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by mbulela: 1:32pm On Jun 18, 2015
goshen26:
The whole matter tire me self......God pls intervene.

You no go leave God alone.
What more do you want from him?

1 Like

Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by mbulela: 1:34pm On Jun 18, 2015
willykitty01:
@op, we need people like you to keep up and sustain this pressure. Nigeria and Nigerian will be better for it. In my view, the lawmakers are hoping this issue like many others will die a natural death. We have to keep up the momentum. Let Nigerians know when you plan a match to the national assembly
We need Nigerians like him?
What of Nigerians like you?
Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by carzola(m): 1:39pm On Jun 18, 2015
datribune:

Pity urself. If voting out a clueless, confused & overwhelmed PDP govt is wrong, I don't want to be right.
Don't get it twisted. dis allowances were approved by d spineless GEJ & nigerians ar only urging President Buhari to correct d mistake & result of GEJ's ineptitude.
when u get 10 likes i would reply you..
Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by lanreganiu: 1:41pm On Jun 18, 2015
[b][/b] Na wa o lipsrsealed
Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by adamskutty(m): 1:54pm On Jun 18, 2015
Elslim:
if u r in abuja... dont forget its unity Faustian 2pm prompt. our voices must be heard
create a thread about this if u are really serious.

1 Like

Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by datribune: 2:11pm On Jun 18, 2015
carzola:
when u get 10 likes i would reply you..

1 Like

Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by ephi123(f): 2:14pm On Jun 18, 2015
carzola:
I pity those that voted APC i hope u guys dont commit suicide? you all sold your votes to lies, sit back and dont complain cause we all had a choice that day!

Was PDP any better?! Enough of all this APC vs PDP, people have voted and made their choice, the way forward for the betterment of the whole country is what should be the focus now abeg.
Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by tallceejay(m): 2:26pm On Jun 18, 2015
benedictnsi:

Odeh headmistress

american senators or congressmen r unclothed! r they unclad ? bigger Odeh
Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by wordychap: 2:38pm On Jun 18, 2015
We need a revolution in this country!
Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by DaBullIT(m): 3:08pm On Jun 18, 2015
wordychap:
We need a revolution in this country!

[size=28pt]PEACEFUL but incessant REVOLUTION[/size]

These facts are coming to light because of the fracas between APC and PDP ,

It's time for the people to decide
Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by Mbediogu(m): 3:08pm On Jun 18, 2015
Giftedgreen:
1. What’s up with the talk on social media about 8 billion naira clothing allowance for Nigerian legislators?

Apparently our newly inaugurated National Assembly is set to receive a whopping 8.64 billion naira to spend on clothes.

2. What? About 9 billion Naira on clothes for one person? Is this a joke? Or is it possible that someone forgot how to count the number of zeros on a figure?

Actually, the 9 billion naira is not for one person, it is the collective sum that is set to be received by every member senator and member of the House of Representatives.

This money is described as a wardrobe allowance, the amount will be split between both chambers of the National Assembly with the 109 members of the Senate receiving 21.5 million naira ($108,000) each while the 360 members of the House of Representatives, the lower chamber, will each receive 17.5 million naira.

3. Is it just me or the gluttony exhibited by our legislators is about to make me vomit all over my body?

Don’t just puke over your body just yet.

Aside from a wardrobe allowance, the National Assembly will also receive other furniture and car loan allowances. The furniture allowance will see 107 senators receive 650 million naira while 358 House of Representatives members will receive total of 2 billion naira. The lawmakers can also access car loans with senators possibly provided with 867 million naira and House of Representatives members provided with 2.8 billion naira in car loans. While ordinary members of both chambers get these allowances, two principal officers from each chamber, the Senate President, the Speaker of the House and their deputies will have furniture provided by the Federal Government.

4. I once read that Nigerian Legislators are the highest paid in the world, is that true?

Nigerian legislators, among the world’s top paid, receive annual salaries of between 32 million naira per annum. Nigerian legislators are not the highest paid in the world, they are the second highest paid, lagging behind Australia. Nigerian legislators earn about $180, 000 per annum while that of Australia earns about $210, 000 per annum.

Lawmakers in Nigeria earn around 32 million naira annually more than British lawmakers. While the lawmakers earn so much, regular Nigerians survive on the 18, 000 naira monthly minimum wage.

5. If I may ask, What is the clothing allowance of legislators in the United States and Britain?

In the United States, supplementary Congressional allowances make no provision for clothing and in the Britain, which was rocked by its own allowance scandal in 2009, clothing expenses are not listed among expenses members of parliament can claim for.

6. Is this the "change" we voted for? What are Nigerians doing about this situation?

The campaign tagged #OpenNASS is led by BudgIT, a civil start-up and outraged Nigerians have taken to social media to vent.

Vent on social media? is that the best we can do?

There are already plans by some Nigerians to protest nationwide.

Nigerians can draw inspiration from events in Kenya where citizens forced legislators to rethink increases in their pay with fierce protests in 2013.

After their demands for higher pay sparked public outcry and protests, Kenyan legislators agreed to a cut (of about $45, 000) in pay – though their new wage is still more than 40 times the country’s average income.

Activists spilled cow blood outside parliament buildings, calling members of parliament ‘MPigs’ and branding parliament “a piggy bank.”

Others organized the burning of 221 coffins outside parliament to protest the attempt by the MPs to give themselves a $110,000 bonus at the end of their term.

7. These legislooters, sorry legislators must be milking Nigeria dry, don’t you think?

What was your fist clue?

Was it when Sanusi alleged that the National Assembly spends 25% of the national budget? Let’s rephrase that for easier understanding. Sanusi said 468 people get to spend 25% of the national budget and leave the remaining 75% for 180 million people.

If that is not enough to put you in shock, remember that the yearly allocation for the National Assembly, which has less than 10,000 individuals on its payroll, surpasses the annual budgets of 21 of Nigeria’s 36 states including Katsina, Benue and Jigawa all with populations of more than 4 million people.

8. But Nigeria is in a mess financially, how are we able to give the legislators this huge amount of money?

Its true that Nigeria is dealing with financial issues which can be traced back to the slump in global crude oil prices.

Fortunately for our lawmakers and unfortunately for Nigerians fund is in a special category called statutory transfer which mandates the federal government, after receiving revenues, to make the legislators’ funds immediately available before other considerations

9. Is there any hope for Nigeria at all?

Senate President Bukola Saraki has denied that federal lawmakers get N9billion wardrobe allowance. He also said there were plans by the Revenue Mobilisation Allocation and Fiscal Commission (RMAFC) to reduce salaries and allowances of federal lawmakers.

Saraki, who stated this on his Twitter handle yesterday after meeting with the RMAFC boss, said the annual wardrobe allowance for each senator is N506,600 per annum, about N2.25 million ‎for their four-year tenure.

It not the best of ideas to believe anything a politician says, but when given the benefit of doubt then there might be hope for Nigeria afterall.

http://giftedgreen.com/2014/blog/2015/06/18/9-questions-about-the-8-billion-naira-clothing-allowance-you-were-too-embarrassed-to-ask/

And what are we doing about all these rot? Write, read, sigh and sit back? Is that the solution?
Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by Obiwannn: 3:20pm On Jun 18, 2015
MBULELA, Nasarawa owes may salary o
Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jun 18, 2015
a the right question you should ask ursef is How much was budgeted for the NASS for 2015 that would allow dem to spend 9 billion just for mere clothing.
Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jun 18, 2015
what I'm I doing seated here?
na to enter politics sure now oo...Oya oo,all roads leading to the senate house.

but wait a minute, seriously
Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by tejpot(m): 3:44pm On Jun 18, 2015
piowei:

This is nigeria
And Nigerians live and work naked
Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by mbulela: 5:05pm On Jun 18, 2015
DaBullIT:

[size=28pt]PEACEFUL but incessant REVOLUTION[/size]

These facts are coming to light because of the fracas between APC and PDP ,

It's time for the people to decide
how can a revolution be peaceful when those who hold political and economic power wish to maintain the status quo?
Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by PheNom001: 6:14pm On Jun 18, 2015
It's so annoying they are getting such huge amount of money, when many people could hardly eat once a day.
Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by kayodefam(m): 11:13pm On Jun 18, 2015
benedictnsi:

Odeh headmistress
ode!...u be mumu...b4 they got their,were they walking the streets naked?...ode oshi...

Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jun 18, 2015
benedictnsi:

Odeh headmistress
dont they have clothing before?

are civil servants paid ward-robe allowance?

1 Like

Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by simdam500(m): 2:18am On Jun 19, 2015
8. But Nigeria is in a mess financially, how are we able to give the legislators this huge amount of money?

Its true that Nigeria is dealing with financial issues which can be traced back to the slump in global crude oil prices.

Fortunately for our lawmakers and unfortunately for Nigerians fund is in a special category called statutory transfer which mandates the federal government, after receiving revenues, to make the legislators’ funds immediately available before other considerations

Nigeria!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cry
Re: 9 Questions About The N8B Clothing Allowance You Were Too Embarrassed To Ask by gaganoo: 8:45am On Jun 19, 2015
OMG ......am speechless.......please wen is the protest

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Photo From APC Edo Governorship Primary Election Today / Chibok: Parents Of Abducted Schoolgirls Parents Accuse Vice Principal / Kachi Nwokocha Sponsored Gang That Beheaded Police DS - Wazobia Reporters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.