Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,222 members, 7,818,764 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:07 AM

19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior - Health (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior (23386 Views)

World Sickle Cell Day / June 19th: World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day / University Of Ibadan Discovers Cure For Sickle Cell (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Leem4: 12:58am On Jun 22, 2015
tabontabon:
Leem,go to any general hospital/federal medical center explain to the doctors and ask to see a hematology for better clarification.assuming u are in lagos,LASUTH would have been d best.
thanks, will try and do dat
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by doncutie(m): 12:12pm On Jun 22, 2015
treasuremabel:

Norflex, folic acids, bico, astymine syrup

But currently I don't take any medications, just fruit n enough water everyday
Yea sounds impossible right? but I took those drugs last like 8months ago

I don't depend on any of those drugs either... Just them fruits and water. Am 25 now and its been ages ah saw my crisis occur. #I'm_a_warrior
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by lepasharon(f): 11:17pm On Jun 23, 2015
I've also noticed that women with Sickle cell have narrow hips,due to bone infarction. Sickle cell can mess up someones destiny sha
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by tabontabon: 11:41pm On Jun 23, 2015
Dont let such thoughts occupy your mind. You can achieve what you want to,irrespective of SS
lepasharon:
I've also noticed that women with Sickle cell have narrow hips,due to bone infarction. Sickle cell can mess up someones destiny sha
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Dahjhi: 11:56pm On Jun 23, 2015
lepasharon:
lepasharon... Others see you the way you see yourself. Just believe you are wonderfully made n fit.. Then you are good to go smiley
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by laudate: 4:02pm On Jun 24, 2015
Mikwus:

I am a warrior. I don't use drugs. I had my last blood transfusion at age 8. I last had crisis about 7yrs ago. Before I completely stopped medication, I used to take jobelyn. I stopped about 3yrs ago.

I just eat healthy, stay away from stress, drink lots of water and cover up well when its cold. .

My PCV is always above 35%. I check every month and my doctor is amazed.

So if she says she isn't using any medication. Believe it.

All things are possible if we just believe.

#SickleStrongByTheBloodOfJesus

Amen! And I pray that the Blood of Jesus continues to speak healing into your life and into the lives of all warriors.

I lost a dear cousin in the US about 3 years ago to sickle cell. He had gone through a bone marrow transplant and was crisis-free for about a year until he had a relapse.

Each time I think about him, my heart feels so heavy. cry cry cry

I carry the sickle-cell trait and I have had to cut off some promising relationships due to the genotype factor. Better safe than sorry.

To all warriors out there....stay strong & stay healthy!

2 Likes

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Mikwus(f): 9:02am On Jun 25, 2015
laudate:

Amen! And I pray that the Blood of Jesus continues to speak healing into your life and into the lives of all warriors.

I lost a dear cousin in the US about 3 years ago to sickle cell. He had gone through a bone marrow transplant and was crisis-free for about a year until he had a relapse.

Each time I think about him, my heart feels so heavy. cry cry cry

I carry the sickle-cell trait and I have had to cut off some promising relationships due to the genotype factor. Better safe than sorry.

To all warriors out there....stay strong & stay healthy!

Awwwww!!!!!! sad sad sad sad, so sad. Sorry about your cousin.

Thanks for the encouragement. I understand how you must feel about carring the 'S' gene. I have experienced that as well, but keep trusting God, the best is yet to come. Cheers!!!!!!!!
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by zanga420: 12:01am On Jun 27, 2015
Leem4:
Also a warrior, my parents are AC and AA . but am SC, God see me through
AC n AA or AC n AS?
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Dahjhi: 10:58am On Jun 27, 2015
zanga420:
AC n AA or AC n AS?
nah so we see her case o
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Amynamerica: 6:21am On Jul 06, 2015
lepasharon:

Pls what do you eat ? embarassed

Eat healthy, Fruits and green vegetables (esp. Pumpkin leaf). In my case, I figured it had to do with age. I was in my final year when I noticed I was filling out my clothes. Now I'm struggling to maintain a healthy BMI.

I have given birth! Another baby boy.

#warrior! Stay healthy people.

2 Likes

Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 6:00pm On Jul 07, 2015
[quote author=lepasharon post=35084704]I've also noticed that women with Sickle cell have narrow hips,due to bone infarction. Sickle cell can mess up someones destiny sha[/quote

Not every warrior dear.
Am a warrior n my hips are not narrow
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by lepasharon(f): 2:22am On Jul 08, 2015
[quote author=treasuremabel post=35597778][/quote]

Lol really..they look narrow from ur pic
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by lepasharon(f): 5:58am On Jul 14, 2015
Anyone had a crisis from being suddenly woken up ?
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by everfaithfulGod(f): 10:26am On Jul 30, 2015
Hello Great Warrior in the house.
I have 17month old neice that is a warrior.
She hasnt have any crisis till now bt i think d earlier we start managing her the better.
We are based in ibadan and i need info on any hospital where they can manage her for us. ive heard of UCH ibadan bt learnt d doctors are on strike. The weather is too cold now and i think it is affecting her bcs she has been moody since yesterday bt her body is not hot. I need to get her c a doctor tomorow. pls ibadan peeps should help me out. thanks
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Dahjhi: 9:54pm On Aug 07, 2015
everfaithfulGod:
She hasnt have any crisis till now bt i think d earlier we start managing her the better.
We are based in ibadan and i need info on any hospital where they can manage her for us. ive heard of UCH ibadan bt learnt d doctors are on strike. The weather is too cold now and i think it is affecting her bcs she has been moody since yesterday bt her body is not hot. I need to get her c a doctor tomorow. pls ibadan peeps should help me out. thanks
Take her to any standard private hospital instead.. UCH on Strike Thats horrible for our country....
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by everfaithfulGod(f): 1:05am On Aug 08, 2015
Dahjhi:
Take her to any standard private hospital instead.. UCH on Strike Thats horrible for our country....
Thank you for your response. We've taken her to another hospital and has been playing since then except that she cant stand to her feet or walk. she tried to stand bt couldnt. we were told it is crisis. i pray she get over it soon. I am realy feeling for her.
Any suggestn on home remedy to ease the pain wil be appreciated. Thanks
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by tabontabon: 5:45am On Aug 08, 2015
Make Sure She Wears Cardigan And Her Clothing Covers Her Leg,long Gown/trousers,apply Robb/light Balm On The Chest,legs And Hands After Bathing.Take Warm Liquid In The Morning And Encourage Her To Drink Enough Water.
everfaithfulGod:
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by everfaithfulGod(f): 6:25am On Aug 08, 2015
tabontabon:
Make Sure She Wears Cardigan And Her Clothing Covers Her Leg,long Gown/trousers,apply Robb/light Balm On The Chest,legs And Hands After Bathing.Take Warm Liquid In The Morning And Encourage Her To Drink Enough Water.
Thank you so much. realy appreciate
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by tabontabon: 6:44am On Aug 08, 2015
I Forgot To Mention,diet Plays An Important Role. Vegetable And Beans/egg Should Be Encouraged. You Can Get Fresh Ugwu Squeeze The Juice(like You Do Bitter Leaf) Add Liquid Milk To The Juice,let Her Drink,it's Good For The Blood.
Also Get Astymin Not Astyfer. If She Is The Eating Type Then You Are Lucky.Avoid Dependence On Junk Food Just Make It A Treat .
everfaithfulGod:
Thank you so much. realy appreciate
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Dahjhi: 7:30am On Aug 08, 2015
everfaithfulGod:
Thank you for your response. We've taken her to another hospital and has been playing since then except that she cant stand to her feet or walk. she tried to stand bt couldnt. we were told it is crisis. i pray she get over it soon. I am realy feeling for her.
Any suggestn on home remedy to ease the pain wil be appreciated. Thanks
That's cool. I'm not sure you will need any home remedy @ the moment. I will guess the medical personnel should have jab her enough of pain killers. all she needed now should be just the playing and relaxing with her normal food. And give her a lot water to drink too.. also follow all instructions from the clinic... #SheLives. #Shallom.
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by everfaithfulGod(f): 11:08pm On Aug 09, 2015
Dahjhi:
That's cool. I'm not sure you will need any home remedy @ the moment. I will guess the medical personnel should have jab her enough of pain killers. all she needed now should be just the playing and relaxing with her normal food. And give her a lot water to drink too.. also follow all instructions from the clinic... #SheLives. #Shallom.
thank you so much
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by everfaithfulGod(f): 11:12pm On Aug 09, 2015
tabontabon:
I Forgot To Mention,diet Plays An Important Role. Vegetable And Beans/egg Should Be Encouraged. You Can Get Fresh Ugwu Squeeze The Juice(like You Do Bitter Leaf) Add Liquid Milk To The Juice,let Her Drink,it's Good For The Blood.
Also Get Astymin Not Astyfer. If She Is The Eating Type Then You Are Lucky.Avoid Dependence On Junk Food Just Make It A Treat .
Yes she is an eating type and she is already on astymin. Really appreciate your contributions
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Nobody: 11:28pm On Aug 09, 2015
tabontabon my doc said the ugwu leaves water isnt good for the heart so He advised against it
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by tabontabon: 5:36am On Aug 10, 2015
Treasuremabel i will advice you google about medicinal value of ugwu leave. Any doctor worth his/her salt will not make such statement.if you are sick(crisis,pregnancy) and want to maintain a good pcv,use ugwu leave extract and milk. Am in my mid thirties,i know how many blood transfusions i have escaped till now.
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by zoedicus: 10:36am On Aug 24, 2017
I thinks this might help....Sickle Cell Foundation of Nigeria is a cool place.
They've got labs and offer clinical services there too. You can run tests, treat leg ulcer, and get genetic advice from them.
Check out the facebook page here -

https://www.facebook.com/sicklecellfoundation/
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by sirblend: 7:08am On Feb 26
Amynamerica:

Eat healthy, Fruits and green vegetables (esp. Pumpkin leaf). In my case, I figured it had to do with age. I was in my final year when I noticed I was filling out my clothes. Now I'm struggling to maintain a healthy BMI.

I have given birth! Another baby boy.

#warrior! Stay healthy people.

I am an AA genotype

i am in love with a SS lady and she would be 26 this year..

Now the thing is this .... the first thing people tell me when I discuss it with them is "do you have blood to donate?"

Also

What about childbirth
Can an SS lady give birth naturally..

I want to marry her..

What advice would you give me?
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by sirblend: 9:45am On Feb 26
dupsai:
Apart from medication another thing that keep warriors going is the WILL TO LIVE. Ive bn there @ 44yrs now with 2 beautiful kids and an understanding husband n family l can say im lucky....... BUT its not luck but the grace of JEHOVAH RAPHA. There are times that the pains get tough and i feel like giving up but i always know that TOUGH TIMES never last but TOUGH PEOPLE do. With prayers n believe in God n yourself you can not only be a WARRIOR but a CONQUEROR............. Cheers everyone out there, better days ahead.

Good morning!

I am of the genotype AA
Presently, I am in love with a girl who is SS and she will be 26 years this year....

I told my parents about it and what I hear from them is
"do I have blood to donate"?
"They cannot give birth naturally except through surgery"
"Do I want to spend all my money on sickness"

Personally I don't know anything about sickle cell people.. I have been trying to gather more info about them..

I would need you to clarify me on some issues..
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by lanre47: 4:51pm On Feb 26
I don't think their is much to fear. As long as you are AA, you can never have SS children. the worst case your will have AS.

As per blood, is not like that. As long as they eat healthy, take their routine drugs, boil sorghum leave and drink, this gives them blood, you would not need to be donating blood .

Take care.
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by sirblend: 3:59am On Feb 28
lanre47:
I don't think their is much to fear. As long as you are AA, you can never have SS children. the worst case your will have AS.

As per blood, is not like that. As long as they eat healthy, take their routine drugs, boil sorghum leave and drink, this gives them blood, you would not need to be donating blood .

Take care.

Thanks @ Mr Lanre
Re: 19th June - World Sickle Cell Anaemia Day. My Story As A Warrior by Johnwrite(m): 8:10am On Feb 28
Wow ok

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Zika Virus Infection Reported In USA / What You Need To Know About Vitiligo / The Truth About Polio Vaccine And Mosquito Treated Nets?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.