Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,792 members, 7,817,286 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:31 AM

Should I Take This Job ? - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Should I Take This Job ? (17796 Views)

I Take God Name Beg Una Who Sabi This People? / Job Offer As A Teacher In Federal College, Should I Take It Or Not? / Should I Take This $1200 Job Offer Or Not? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Take This Job ? by Idboyostic(m): 7:50pm On Jun 19, 2015
I don't have experience when it comes to matters like this...... I would have love you to quit your job and take the risk but when I check on the job insecurity based on contract job and not just contract job but '6 months'....

Bro, in as much as you can man up to the challenge.... I will still advise you to stay put with your present Job because you being retain after your contract expires depends on your Boss and not on how much you have put in...... My 50kobo cent grin

1 Like

Re: Should I Take This Job ? by Nobody: 7:58pm On Jun 19, 2015
luvola:
Currently in an audit firm (A permanent job ) earning X amount of salary and it on the mainland. New opportunity materialized for accounting officer role ( To initiate payment processes to the end ) in VI and the pay is 53% morethan the former but it a six months contract job base on performance . I.e You may be retain base perform by finance account head and if you do not perform ,contract end.

Should he continue with the present job or take the new one.. N.B He is a bsc accounting graduate

The bolded is a current recruitment scam where employers lie to promote you after a certain period, most times, the staff works like a donkey just to get retained, after 6 months, another contract cycle begins, lucky ones are included, others redundant.

Hold the bread you have, this is Nigeria, everyone is trying to get the best for less, even multinationals have started lying, banks are also in the equation.

Be smart brother, stay sharp!

2 Likes

Re: Should I Take This Job ? by luvola(m): 8:10pm On Jun 19, 2015
I appreciate all the reply so far and forgive me for all my grammatical blunders . I think I will stay in my six month old job. Thank you all folks.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Take This Job ? by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jun 19, 2015
obinna2nv:
Omo no go!! another opportunity worth it might still come around..
true talk
Re: Should I Take This Job ? by being(m): 8:40pm On Jun 19, 2015
luvola:
I appreciate all the reply so far and forgive me for all my grammatical blunders . I think I will stay in my six month old job. Thank you all folks.
More like it. Meanwhile do u work with one of d big 4?
Re: Should I Take This Job ? by Nobody: 8:42pm On Jun 19, 2015
Geesammy:
@OP can you jst help me out with a job in your audit firm am a graduate of Finance with a second class upper division with a year plus audit experience and wish to gather more for the great days ahead.
Anyone else who could help can contact me via
Call, text or whatsapp : +2348064563077.
Email : Ijongbolagbenga@gmail.com

Thanks
where is your location in Lagos?
Re: Should I Take This Job ? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jun 19, 2015
luvola:
You would thank me later for staying put in the audit firm.
Re: Should I Take This Job ? by Hackomania(m): 8:47pm On Jun 19, 2015
Hello OP,

If I'm allowed to say something about this, I'll tell you two stories.

1. I was in an audit firm (on the Island) with unrivaled job security, but no career growth in sight. I was a one-man-army IT "manager" with no boss and no subordinate. An opportunity arose for a 1-year internship in an IOC (farther into the Island) with NO hope of extension or regularization.
Considerations
The Internship had a staff bus benefit attached - transport costs go down by 98%
The audit firm was very secure job - I was doing so well they fired my boss (but they retained my "office assistant" position)
My job was more of support, and I wasn't involved in real operational processes (think of an IT Manager in an indigenous Audit firm with zero dependency on automation and/or technology applications), meaning I cannot "matter" in the direct operations - support staff typically get less consideration in promotions and all.
The "popularity" of the IOC was a factor (e.g. Comparing an internship with CBN with a job in an MFB).
The internship wasn't an "in-my-career" job, but the opportunity to make an impact in a big and well-known place, was just too salivating to let go.

Summary of story, I quit the job, took the internship, enjoyed myself, and six months into the internship, I got a job in an LOC. The audit job wouldn't have given me the opportunity to attend the numerous interviews that was needed, but my bosses in the IOC were fully behind me in getting the job (even wrote me letters of recommendation)

I know that the only explanation to this story is God's inexplicable grace, and that your path may be different from the guy in scenario 1; in fact in scenario 2, I am still doing that internship and begging for at least an extension.

Sorry I can't go over scenario 2, I'm out of time as I'm now typing on the expressway (living dangerously hehehe), but lesson here is:

Don't be driven by the money, but by
1. The opportunity to take a bigger challenge
2. The opportunity to advance your career
3. The opportunity to rack up a more intimidating resume

Warm regards,
KCE

P.S. These are true life stories

5 Likes

Re: Should I Take This Job ? by luvola(m): 9:47pm On Jun 19, 2015
Hackomania:
Hello OP,

If I'm allowed to say something about this, I'll tell you two stories.

1. I was in an audit firm (on the Island) with unrivaled job security, but no career growth in sight. I was a one-man-army IT "manager" with no boss and no subordinate. An opportunity arose for a 1-year internship in an IOC (farther into the Island) with NO hope of extension or regularization.
Considerations
The Internship had a staff bus benefit attached - transport costs go down by 98%
The audit firm was very secure job - I was doing so well they fired my boss (but they retained my "office assistant" position)
My job was more of support, and I wasn't involved in real operational processes (think of an IT Manager in an indigenous Audit firm with zero dependency on automation and/or technology applications), meaning I cannot "matter" in the direct operations - support staff typically get less consideration in promotions and all.
The "popularity" of the IOC was a factor (e.g. Comparing an internship with CBN with a job in an MFB).
The internship wasn't an "in-my-career" job, but the opportunity to make an impact in a big and well-known place, was just too salivating to let go.

Summary of story, I quit the job, took the internship, enjoyed myself, and six months into the internship, I got a job in an LOC. The audit job wouldn't have given me the opportunity to attend the numerous interviews that was needed, but my bosses in the IOC were fully behind me in getting the job (even wrote me letters of recommendation)

I know that the only explanation to this story is God's inexplicable grace, and that your path may be different from the guy in scenario 1; in fact in scenario 2, I am still doing that internship and begging for at least an extension.

Sorry I can't go over scenario 2, I'm out of time as I'm now typing on the expressway (living dangerously hehehe), but lesson here is:

Don't be driven by the money, but by
1. The opportunity to take a bigger challenge
2. The opportunity to advance your career
3. The opportunity to rack up a more intimidating resume

Warm regards,
KCE

P.S. These are true life stories
epic

1 Like

Re: Should I Take This Job ? by gymer(m): 9:48pm On Jun 19, 2015
luvola:
Currently in an audit firm (A permanent job ) earning X amount of salary and it on the mainland. New opportunity materialized for accounting officer role ( To initiate payment processes to the end ) in VI and the pay is 53% morethan the former but it a six months contract job base on performance . I.e You may be retain base perform by finance account head and if you do not perform ,contract end.

Should he continue with the present job or take the new one.. N.B He is a bsc accounting graduate

A 53% increase is not enough for you to leave an audit firm for a temporary job. If you consider the cost of going to VI both financial and the stress of VI and 3rd mainland traffic, it is more than 53%. Secondly, as an accounting graduate, you need the practical experience in practice until you obtain your professional qualification before you are advise to make a move. If you must move, it must be a big move. God bless you.

1 Like

Re: Should I Take This Job ? by Geesammy(m): 11:31pm On Jun 19, 2015
artisticallyart:
where is your location in Lagos?

I stay at Gbagada area but can work within any location depends on how the offer looks like.
Thanks
Re: Should I Take This Job ? by benedima1990(m): 12:45am On Jun 20, 2015
greed kills faster than real poison

remember that

a bird at hand worth millions in bush

1 Like

Re: Should I Take This Job ? by Ayocharles(m): 6:18am On Jun 20, 2015
lets look at your case critically and we are going to break it down into 3 dimensions:

1) YOUR COUNTRY: over a million accounting grads are jobless (not doing a thing!) in this country. that means leaving the current job is a BIG RISK! So why take the big risk of being jobless in a jobless country! LOLS...
If its in another country taking the contract job is the best.

2) Your personal situation: oh yes! if you are from a background where u re the bread winner, leaving your current job would not be an option! but if your background is SECURED, like having rich pips(that cares) taking the risk is worth it!

3) YOURSELF AND YOU: this one to me is the most fundamental! do you believe in yourself? or you are someone that they always push up? what's your goal in life? do you love new challenges? Do you believe in moving up or just staying down? How strong are you spiritually?

To me I will go for the contract job based on myself and my habit. I see this Guy as being selfish though, you should involve someone you can help with the contract job if you are a weakling or recommend smone in ur current job if you believe in yourself! in this scenario it's going to be a win-win situation for you. Bless someone with one of the jobs and stick to one!
cheers! !

2 Likes

Re: Should I Take This Job ? by sunshine1974(m): 7:01am On Jun 20, 2015
53percent more dan ur present salary isn't worth the risk Oga. Let's assume u earn 100k now d new job pays u 160k for 6 months, u will discover dat u ve gained nothing in 6 months. U shld only move if u are 100percent sure of getting anoda job after 6months if not my dear u will be back to square . Contract job doesn't appeal to me at all.
Re: Should I Take This Job ? by TheRealAdonye(m): 9:04am On Jun 20, 2015
Damn..
manie:

Re: Should I Take This Job ? by gamechanger1: 9:17am On Jun 20, 2015
luvola:

My brother pls stay where u are keep working hard and building yourself, and then when you move you'll move big. The fact that you work on the mainland is a very big advantage. Use it to develop yourself (certifications, online courses, etc). That53% rise might not be worth the move to the mainland; the stress of getting to and from work plus the pressure of a "performance" based contract job may not be worth the move.
Re: Should I Take This Job ? by kwaraguy(m): 10:36am On Jun 20, 2015
Consider your chances on both ends and pray for GOD's directive am sure you won't make a decision you'll end up to regret. Abi that sounds old-fashioned ni?
Re: Should I Take This Job ? by Exponental(m): 10:44am On Jun 20, 2015
1. u should define x for a truthful advice.
2. get a calculator, calculate ur t-fare. subtract from tfare from ur salary. is d difference still 53% or >. if not consider 3
3. does d diff worth d stress?
4. which of d two will develop u?

1 Like

Re: Should I Take This Job ? by seunadeolu(m): 11:55am On Jun 20, 2015
This is the problem with 'we' the job seekers, we put forth a mindset that it all about money and nothing else(i don't mean to say looking for a good pay is bad), if that is the reason you spent 4 years in school, then it better you should have learnt a trade rather than going to school. your present job is a golden opportunity for you to prove your worth in your chosen field, grind your teeth well before going on a safari, so you don't become a money seeking professional 'prostitute'. grin

3 Likes

Re: Should I Take This Job ? by blank(f): 3:27pm On Jun 20, 2015
Anybody that has worked in an audit firm will always tell you to stay and make senior before moving to any private establishment. It's usually worth it.

1 Like

Re: Should I Take This Job ? by Nobody: 6:26am On Jun 29, 2015
blank:
Anybody that has worked in an audit firm will always tell you to stay and make senior before moving to any private establishment. It's usually worth it.
Re: Should I Take This Job ? by oladeledave: 7:55am On Jun 29, 2015
May be u shud consider applying for this one sef
Account Officers at Stresert Services Limited

Stresert Services Limited - Our client, a sole agent of a renowned Italian manufacturer of dry-cleaning, laundry and finishing equipment, is recruiting to fill the position of:

Job Title: Account Officer

Location: Ebute-Metta/ Yaba, Lagos. (Proximity to Location is VERY KEY!)

Job Summary
Assist with the deliverables in the account department.
Job Description
Accounts receivable.
Generate sales invoices and credit notes.
Post / reconcile accounts receivable subsidiary ledger with general ledger.
Prepare aged debtor lists and contact clients in order to procure outstanding payments.
Liaise with section managers; follow up of longstanding/delinquent debtors.
Establish and maintain positive working relationships with customers.
Banking duties as required.
Accounts payable and inventory:
Data entry of vendor invoices.
Maintenance of inventory data base.
Generate vendor payments as required.
Reconciliation of petty cash.
Other:
Provide prompt advice to members of staff on finance processes and queries.
Other administrative and accounts duties as assigned from time to time.
Education, Skills & Attributes
OND/HND in Accounting (not a Chartered Accountant)
1 - 2 years work experience in similar field.
Must be good with Microsoft Excel.
Ability to demonstrate initiative, flexibility and attention to detail in a busy, changing work environment.
Achieve results by working to agreed priorities, outcomes and time constraints.
Cultivates productive working relationships by actively participating in teamwork and group activities.
Displays personal drive and integrity working as directed to achieve work objectives
Candidate should preferably reside on the mainland.
Remuneration
Salary is N40, 000 net/month.

Application Closing Date
6th July, 2015.

apply here: http://dynamicexploits..com/2015/06/account-officers-at-stresert-services.html
Re: Should I Take This Job ? by blank(f): 1:45pm On Jun 29, 2015
cedaraustine:

Blank, I would really love to ask you something personal. Please.

Okay. Send me a PM and i will respond.
Re: Should I Take This Job ? by Geesammy(m): 8:40pm On Aug 23, 2015
Geesammy:
@OP can you jst help me out with a job in your audit firm am a graduate of Finance with a second class upper division with a year plus audit experience and wish to gather more for the great days ahead.
Anyone else who could help can contact me via

Email : Get2geeslicks@yahoo.com
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Making Your 8 Seconds Count Through Your CV / How Will You Cope If You Lose Your Job or Source of Income Today? / Who Got This Mail From Livessavers.org (documentation Officer Position)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.