Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,105 members, 7,814,882 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:53 PM

Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. (6277 Views)

Woman Pledges Daughter As Tithe In Church / Why Would A Loving GOD Not Kill Satan From The Beginning And Let Live In Peace? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by Tjayjosh(m): 6:32pm On Jun 19, 2015
This issue needs to be dealt with once and for all. A person on this forum brought this up, i believe he was trying to justify his ill feelings toward God. Whatever the reason may be. The bible scholers on this forum can help lay this matter to rest. Based on current research. Jephthah did not sacrifice his daughter to God. It is supported by at least two reasons.

1. He would have known that God's law strictly forbids human sacrifice and that God would not tolerate such an evil act (Lev 18:21; 20:2-5; Dt 12:31; 18:10-12).

2. The use of the phrase "she was a virgin" suggests that the sacrifice involved devoting her entire life to chastity (i.e., remaining a virgin and unmarried for the rest of her life) and service at the national sanctuary (Ex 38:8; 1sa 2:22).
Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by Nobody: 6:41pm On Jun 19, 2015
Jephthah truely sacrificed his only daughter to God in a form of a dedication and committment. I know you must have expected that her throat be slit and her body chopped into pieces, then burnt, before you'd consider that she was sacrificed.
You really need to be enlightened on affairs of the spirit. Go and read deep, afterwards meditate and grasp what I opined.
Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by johnydon22(m): 6:53pm On Jun 19, 2015
Seriously i thought dishonesty is a sin in christiandom why must you try to employ this blatant dishonesty to propagate your deception...

This is not a subject of argument because am sure everyone has a bible and can just look it up... let us read the story then and see..

Judges 11:30-31
And Jephthah made a vow to
the LORD: “If you give the Ammonites into my hands,
whatevercomes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in
triumph from the Ammonites will be the LORD’s, and I will sacrifice it
as a [size=20]burnt offering.”[/size]

Key word burnt offering, what else does burnt offering entail if not slit her throat and burn her flesh whole.

Moving on

Verse 39-40

After the two months, she returned to her father, and he did
to her as he had vowed. And she died a virgin.

From this comes the Israelite tradition
that each year the young women of Israel go out for four days to commemorate the daughter of
Jephthah the Gileadite.

He did as he promised, Offered the burnt offering unto the lord. . . Dude its seriously not right to lie when a particular story in the bible doesn't go well with your idea of a moral action.

3 Likes

Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by GJames(m): 7:12pm On Jun 19, 2015
johnydon22:
And she DIED a virgin.[/b]
Your carnal mind keeps decieving you just as it included ''DIED'' in this verse

1 Like

Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by Tjayjosh(m): 7:19pm On Jun 19, 2015
Dnarvaez:
Jephthah truely sacrificed his only daughter to God in a form of a dedication and committment. I know you must have expected that her throat be slit and her body chopped into pieces, then burnt, before you'd consider that she was sacrificed.
You really need to be enlightened on affairs of the spirit. Go and read deep, afterwards meditate and grasp what I opined.
Bro we are on the same page.
Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by johnydon22(m): 7:21pm On Jun 19, 2015
GJames:

Your carnal mind keeps decieving you just as it included ''DIED'' in this verse

Canal mind? Lol.. i take it that spiritual mind means lying so as to change a clear text from your own religious book. . ..

Ok lets see who is deceiving himself and trying to apply this deception on others... Let me add a photo i just snapped from the bible so it will be clear for all to see exactly is deceptive now..

Since obviously "Being spiritual minded" means lying blatantly in the face of simple facts, i'd rather happily remain and wallow in my "canal mindedness"

2 Likes

Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by GJames(m): 8:09pm On Jun 19, 2015
johnydon22:

Canal mind? Lol.. i take it that spiritual mind means lying so as to change a clear text from your own religious book. . ..

Ok lets see who is deceiving himself and trying to apply this deception on others... Let me add a photo i just snapped from the bible so it will be clear for all to see exactly is deceptive now..

Since obviously "Being spiritual minded" means lying blatantly in the face of simple facts, i'd rather happily remain and wallow in my "canal mindedness"
I use King James version and NIV, non of those versions mentioned the word ''died'' but i see that you got yours from another version. ''She died a virgin'' could still mean that she lived the rest of her long live until she eventually died a virgin.
NOTE: that she went to bewail her virginity not any coming death.

1 Like

Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by johnydon22(m): 8:21pm On Jun 19, 2015
GJames:

I use King James version and NIV, non of those versions mentioned the word ''died'' but i see that you got yours from another version. ''She died a virgin'' could still mean that she lived the rest of her long live until she eventually died a virgin.
NOTE: that she went to bewail her virginity not any coming death.

Lmao so Burnt Offering Means what exactly?

she was mourning because she would die a virgin cus she was going to be used as a burnt offering...

I don't know why this is a subject of argument when it is very clear, your deliberate dribbling of truth to uphold emotional sentiments is very glaring and i honestly i can't really be in your shoes now, its very degrading.

The story is very clear. . .

5 Likes

Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by Tjayjosh(m): 9:00pm On Jun 19, 2015
johnydon22:
Seriously i thought dishonesty is a sin in christiandom why must you try to employ this blatant dishonesty to propagate your deception...

This is not a subject of argument because am sure everyone has a bible and can just look it up... let us read the story then and see..

Judges 11:30-31
And Jephthah made a vow to
the LORD: “If you give the Ammonites into my hands,
whatevercomes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in
triumph from the Ammonites will be the LORD’s, and I will sacrifice it
as a [size=20]burnt offering.”[/size]

Key word burnt offering, what else does burnt offering entail if not slit her throat and burn her flesh whole.

Moving on

Verse 39-40

After the two months, she returned to her father, and he did
to her as he had vowed. And she died a virgin.

From this comes the Israelite tradition
that each year the young women of Israel go out for four days to commemorate the daughter of
Jephthah the Gileadite.

He did as he promised, Offered the burnt offering unto the lord. . . Dude its seriously not right to lie when a particular story in the bible doesn't go well with your idea of a moral action.
Read Leviticus 18:21; 20:2-5; Deuteronomy 12:31; 18:10-12.
Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by johnydon22(m): 9:07pm On Jun 19, 2015
Tjayjosh:
Read Leviticus 18:21; 20:2-5; Deuteronomy 12:31; 18:10-12.
Yeah sure am sure we are reading a story that was written in Judges 11
Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by GJames(m): 9:14pm On Jun 19, 2015
johnydon22:

she was mourning because she would die a virgin cus she was going to be used as a burnt offering...

I don't know why this is a subject of argument when it is very clear, your deliberate dribbling of truth to uphold emotional sentiments is very glaring and i honestly i can't really be in your shoes now, its very degrading.

11:31. ''Whatever comes out of the door of my house to me when i return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the Lord's, and i will sacrifice it as a BURNT offering''
For sure, this statement was made but how God accepted the offering was never mentioned. Other passages in the Bible however would tell you that God never accepts human sacrifice infact God once told Abraham to offer Isaac as a burnt offering but it never happened.

1 Like

Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by Tjayjosh(m): 9:14pm On Jun 19, 2015
johnydon22:

Yeah sure am sure we are reading a story that was written in Judges 11
How can God accept what he strictly prohibited. Clearly shows that you just read the bible. You don't study.
Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by johnydon22(m): 9:21pm On Jun 19, 2015
Tjayjosh:

How can God accept what he strictly prohibited. Clearly shows that you just read the bible. You don't study.

Did Jephthah use his daughter as a burnt offering (just exactly as the story asserted) or not.?

that was the question. . . Am sure the bible didn't mention if god accepted the sacrifice or not after it was made.
Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by jayriginal: 9:42pm On Jun 19, 2015
Tjayjosh:
This issue needs to be dealt with once and for all. A person on this forum brought this up, i believe he was trying to justify his ill feelings toward God. Whatever the reason may be. The bible scholers on this forum can help lay this matter to rest. Based on current research. Jephthah did not sacrifice his daughter to God. It is supported by at least two reasons.

1. He would have known that God's law strictly forbids human sacrifice and that God would not tolerate such an evil act (Lev 18:21; 20:2-5; Dt 12:31; 18:10-12).

2. The use of the phrase "she was a virgin" suggests that the sacrifice involved devoting her entire life to chastity (i.e., remaining a virgin and unmarried for the rest of her life) and service at the national sanctuary (Ex 38:8; 1sa 2:22).

I think johnnydon22 has answered you sufficiently, unless you think she was burned with the clap.

By your logic
1)
Jesus couldn't have been sacrificed for mankind because God doesn't permit it.

2)
Jesus only sacrificed his virginity (he is believed to have been a virgin isnt he?)

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by MuttleyLaff: 9:47pm On Jun 19, 2015
johnydon22:
Did Jephthah use his daughter as a burnt offering (just exactly as the story asserted) or not.?

that was the question. . .
Capital N O.
Jephthah DID NOT use his daughter as a burnt offering
Human burnt offering is an anathema to God
Jephthah knows this
and so never was he planning or had any intention of offering God a human burnt offering

Besides burnt offering always had to do with animals, never had anything to do with human

Jeremiah 7:31
They have built the high places of Topheth in the Valley of Ben Hinnom to burn their sons and daughters in the fire
--something I did not command, nor did it enter my mind.

johnydon22:
Am sure the bible didn't mention if god accepted the sacrifice or not after it was made.
You are right to be sure the bible didn't mention if god accepted the sacrifice
This is because it is a nonstory as no human burnt offering was made

By the way this is a JJC johnydon22-just-come late participation
as this Jephthah controversy has been flogged enough times and long time laid to rest on nairaland
Quite a few have been amused watching johnydon22 unchallengedly waving the Jephthah flag all these few past months

Wonder why some are still tearing hairs out and getting hard-ons over it
Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by johnydon22(m): 10:00pm On Jun 19, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
Capital N O.
Jephthah DID NOT use his daughter as a burnt offering
Human burnt offering is an anathema to God
Jephthah knows this
and so never was he planning or had any intention of offering God a human burnt offering
Hahahahahahahaha really, so who is telling the truth now.. The biblical story or your assumptive assertions? smiley
Clearly he never intended to sacrifice his daughter and that was why he tore his clothes in dismay when she greeted him.
The story was very clear.. He promised to use as a Burnt Offering Who ever greeted him first and then in verse 39 he did as he promised...

it is a very clear and straight story, throwing in your assumptions changes nothing from it.

Besides burnt offering always had to do with animals, never had anything to do with human
Am sure i didn't make the assertion or wrote the story the bible did. . wink

And oh again another example of human sacrifice on a more celebrated scale is The Sacrifice of Jesus
Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by johnydon22(m): 10:03pm On Jun 19, 2015
Oga MuttleyLaf can you just stop calling my name unnecessarily and deal with the thread, stop the ad hominems and personal words. . It seems you are emotionally worked up at this.. cheesy
Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by MuttleyLaff: 10:17pm On Jun 19, 2015
johnydon22:
Hahahahahahahaha really, so who is telling the truth now.. The biblical story or your assumptive assertions? smiley
Clearly he never intended to sacrifice his daughter and that was why he tore his clothes in dismay when she greeted him.
Do you know why he tore his clothes

johnydon22:
The story was very clear.. He promised to use as a Burnt Offering Who ever greeted him first and then in verse 39 he did as he promised...
Steady on johnydon22. Dont go up a creek without a paddle

johnydon22:
it is a very clear and straight story, throwing in your assumptions changes nothing from it.
What is very clear and a straight story is your absolute gobsmacking ignorance

johnydon22:
Am sure i didn't make the assertion or wrote the story the bible did. . wink
What the bible wrote is very clear, how you're going about maligning it, is the story of your life

johnydon22:
And oh again another example of human sacrifice on a more celebrated scale is The Sacrifice of Jesus
Oh, have we switched from human burning offering to human sacrifice now.
If God wants to lay down His life Himself, who has a problem with that?
That's all you have "The Sacrifice of Jesus".
Take that away from you, watch your case collapse, as you're spiritually myopic to discern that the bible is litterred with human sacrifices

1 Like

Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by johnydon22(m): 10:20pm On Jun 19, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
Do you know why he tore his clothes

Steady on johnydon22. Dont go up a creek without a paddle

What is very clear and a straight story is your absolute gobsmacking ignorance

What the bible wrote is very clear, how you're going about maligning it, is the story of your life

Oh, have we switched from human burning offering to human sacrifice now.
If God wants to lay down His life Himself, who has a problem with that?
That's all you have "The Sacrifice of Jesus".
Take that away from you, watch your case collapse, as you're spiritually myopic to discern that the bible is litterred with human sacrifices

Hahahahahahahaha another bout of ad hominems and no addressing of the post. . . Lmao. . Ok cheesy
Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by MuttleyLaff: 10:33pm On Jun 19, 2015
johnydon22:
Hahahahahahahaha another bout of ad hominems and no addressing of the post. . . Lmao. . Ok cheesy
You can laugh as hard as you like.
I've asked you "Do you know why he tore his clothes" but unsurprisedly no reply from you
You miscontrue truths about you for ad hominems
Instead of dangling about on a "The Sacrifice of Jesus",
if you can just stick and focus on the Jephthah subject that bothers you, we might have a chance of sorting out all your oblivious about it

Throw all your shots, but just make sure dont go up the creek with me without a paddle

2 Likes

Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by waldigit: 10:40am On Jun 20, 2015
johnydon22:

The story of jephta brings some lessons. We can learn from it when we rely on Holy Spirit to help. Pls compare his story with case of Abraham. God is the one who instructed him to sacrifice his only son. God stopped him when he knew was prepared to do it. This confirms God is not interested in human sacrifice. Even though he had plans to sacrifice his own only beg gotten son. He knows our weaknesses.
Compared to Jephta who loosely made this vow. One reason why many shall never cease to misunderstand God is that He judges the intent and purpose of the heart. As opposed to mans judicial system of judging observation of independent reasonable observer. What happened to Jephta is a judgement of the intent and purpose of his heart. The judgement of the Lord is pure and righteous altogether.
Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by johnydon22(m): 10:49am On Jun 20, 2015
waldigit:

The story of jephta brings some lessons. We can learn from it when we rely on Holy Spirit to help. Pls compare his story with case of Abraham. God is the one who instructed him to sacrifice his only son. God stopped him when he knew was prepared to do it. This confirms God is not interested in human sacrifice. Even though he had plans to sacrifice his own only beg gotten son. He knows our weaknesses.
Compared to Jephta who loosely made this vow. One reason why many shall never cease to misunderstand God is that He judges the intent and purpose of the heart. As opposed to mans judicial system of judging observation of independent reasonable observer. What happened to Jephta is a judgement of the intent and purpose of his heart. The judgement of the Lord is pure and righteous altogether.

Seriously am sure i never argued whether god was interested in the sacrifice or not, whether it desires human sacrifice or not. . That was not the argument. .

It was whether Jephthah sacrifice his daughter or not of which the story shows he did. .
There is no need bringing in whether god want the sacrifice or not because the bible never said if he accepted it or not in the story..so thats not the topic of the thread or my business.

The clear thing was; Jephthah use her as a burnt offering...True or false?
Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by waldigit: 12:04pm On Jun 20, 2015
johnydon22:

Seriously am sure i never argued whether god was interested in the sacrifice or not, whether it desires human sacrifice or not. . That was not the argument. .

It was whether Jephthah sacrifice his daughter or not of which the story shows he did. .
There is no need bringing in whether god want the sacrifice or not because the bible never said if he accepted it or not in the story..so thats not the topic of the thread or my business.

TRUE

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by MuttleyLaff: 12:08pm On Jun 20, 2015
johnydon22:
Seriously am sure i never argued whether god was interested in the sacrifice or not, whether it desires human sacrifice or not. . That was not the argument.
You make up rules, as you go along or when it suits you
You did earlier tried to bring "The Sacrifice of Jesus" as another example of human sacrifice and mockingly as on a more celebrated scale

johnydon22:
It was whether Jephthah sacrifice his daughter or not of which the story shows he did.
The verses do not show Jephthah sacrificed or had any intention of sacrificing his daughter but you in a warped state of mind do

johnydon22:
There is no need bringing in whether god want the sacrifice or not because the bible never said if he accepted it or not in the story..
so thats not the topic of the thread or my business.
The bible never said if He accepted it or not in the story because God has emphatically said He is not remotely interested in human burnt offering

Deuteronomy 18:9-10
9“When you enter the land the Lord your God is giving you, be very careful not to imitate the detestable customs of the nations living there.
10For example, never sacrifice your son or daughter as a burnt offering
And do not let your people practice fortune-telling, or use sorcery, or interpret omens, or engage in witchcraft,

johnydon22:
False

2 Likes

Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jun 20, 2015
Dnarvaez:
KJV judges.

11:38 And he said, Go. And he sent her away for two months: and she went with her companions, and bewailed her virginity upon the mountains.

11:39 And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his VOW which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel.

Now my question is what was the vow? Human suya or seminary school?
Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by MuttleyLaff: 12:12pm On Jun 20, 2015
emrain:
KJV judges.

11:38 And he said, Go. And he sent her away for two months: and she went with her companions, and bewailed her virginity upon the mountains.
11:39 And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his VOW which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel.

Two vows were made by Jephthah
None of them were Human suya or seminary school
but if being lenient, maybe in a kind of non-technical way, "seminary school" was one of the two vows.
Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by johnydon22(m): 12:23pm On Jun 20, 2015
MuttleyLaff:

False
Hahahahahahahaha ok no be quarrel, don't get worked up over biblical fables. cheesy

So Jephthah fulfilled his vow of burnt offering with a seminary kind of vow?
Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by johnydon22(m): 12:26pm On Jun 20, 2015
MuttleyLaff:
but if being lenient, maybe in a kind of non-technical way, "seminary school" was one of the two vows.

show us the verses where he made the two vow...(n.b- dont bring other verses from other bible books, just the two verses from judges 11 where he made the two vows) smiley
Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by Nobody: 12:39pm On Jun 20, 2015
MuttleyLaff:

11:30 And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,

11:31 Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the LORD's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering. Judges

Hehehehe..., it was really a seminary school, now I understand. cool
Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by Nobody: 12:45pm On Jun 20, 2015
emrain:

KJV judges.

I thought I have answered this question. The verse you quoted is quite explanatory. So many thomases. Lack of comprehension is really a deadly disease.
Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by MuttleyLaff: 12:45pm On Jun 20, 2015
johnydon22:
Hahahahahahahaha ok no be quarrel, don't get worked up over biblical fables. cheesy

So Jephthah fulfilled his vow of burnt offering with a seminary kind of vow?
Yes
Re: Jephthah Did Not Kill His Daughter As Sacrifice To God. by MuttleyLaff: 12:46pm On Jun 20, 2015
johnydon22:
show us the verses where he made the two vow...
Wouldnt you like to know

johnydon22:
n.b- dont bring other verses from other bible books, just the two verses from judges 11 where he made the two vows smiley
Just shows you're an amateur
It's only one verse, who needs other verses from other bible books when only one verse will do.

You look uncomfortable and squirmed in front of your screen reading that grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Pray Effectively By Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Phd / COMMAND THE MONTH PRAYERS (DECEMBER 2020 EDITION): TOTAL RECOVERY !!! / Benefits Of Doing The Will Of God

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.