Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,036 members, 7,810,844 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:48 PM

The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article (5000 Views)

Released Nnamdi Kanu - Peter Obi Blasts Nigerian Government / Any Attempt To Impeach Buhari Will Be Resisted As It Was Done In Turkey–APC Govs / Dasukigate: The Nation Newspaper Returns N9million (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by Kenai: 12:15am On Jun 20, 2015
Troubled Governors And The Peter Principle

As most governors in Nigeria run from pillar to post in search of funds to meet such basic obligation as salaries and pension arrears, this column wagers that all the petro-dollars in Arabia will not help a poor governor. Even as they collectively resolved to recover expenditure allegedly made on behalf of the Federal Government, a better option may well be to tell each other the harsh truth. Unless most of our governors purge themselves of spiritual and mental poverty, they will always be plagued by this manner fiscal poverty.

The newly-elected governors in particular must carry out a deep introspection over the activities of their immediate predecessors and determine to choose a fresh path because the road ahead is destined to be tough. It will be interesting to note the amount spent by some of the governors at the Abuja meeting last Wednesday in search of bailout. It will be even more interesting to note that some of the governors travelled to and from Abuja in chartered jets at highly wasteful rates.

Just last month, even as workers suffer the pangs of hunger, a governor from the Southeast was on a junket with a chartered jet. As he touched down in his state, he kept the jet on standby for so long and at such huge cost that even the owners of the craft were worried at such wastefulness by a state’s chief executive.

Early in this month, four vessels berthed at the Apapa Ports bearing 34,450 tons of imported crude palm oil worth over N3 billion. In the last five years, Nigeria has imported about 2.4 million metric tons of this commodity valued at about N314 billion (about $1.6 billion).

We must point it out for the umpteenth time that between Adapalm in Imo State and Risonpalm in Rivers State all the palm products needs of Nigeria’s manufacturing industries can be met with extra to export to Europe. In other words, these states could have easily earned a chunk of this multi-billion dollars palm oil trade. But a visit to any of these sprawling palm estates would only make you weep. It would also afford you an idea of the kind of people managing our affairs.

Apart from funds from the federation account, which has virtually vanished with the crude oil debacle, most governors never mustered the initiative to build alternative economic bases in their states. As we said here last week, has cocoa stopped growing in the Southwest of Nigeria or has it stopped being a major world commodity? Any thinking governor can make any state in the Southwest the hub of cocoa production and processing in Africa.

Regardless that most states lacked any economic base and do not earn enough revenue, yet they all live large and embark on vanity programmes and projects that are not only way above their means, but have little economic value. Imo for instance was handing cash to pupils and also claimed to be building two universities at the same time. It was also building a fancy skyscraper and three massive hotels in the three senatorial zones. There are 27 general hospitals going on simultaneously in the 27 LGAs. There is no iota of financial planning in all of these.

In Osun State, an unsustainable N3.6 billion free school meal programme is on, as well as free uniforms; free tablets and free tuition. What then are parents for? In the thick of all these is an airport project.

Where on earth is this impoverished State supposed to get the fund for all these? Where is financial planning and projections in all this? Another state in the southwest is building so many posh public schools in towns while many students still learn under trees in the rural areas. There is also a plan to build a sky-scrapper like the Cocoa House in Ibadan, an ego-induced edifice, not minding that the Ibadan monolith is barely occupied and of little economic value apart from gracing the horizon.

Why would a governor dare to purchase jets, helicopters and fly in chartered jets yet expect that cash is inexhaustible? Why are local government council workers also owed for months in many states? The federal allocation to LGAs ought to be enough to pay that level of staff five times over since hardly anything else happen in the LGAs.

The point being made essentially here is that money or the lack thereof, is not the problem with these states that cannot pay their workers. This may be hard to comprehend but the point is that no state is in reality richer than the other. A state is only as good as its manager. This is buttressed by the fact that while some oil-rich state are in trouble, some that are deemed to be poor states have managed their finances so well that they have enough to bailout rich states.

This is where the Peter Principle above comes in. This principle, espoused by a certain Laurence Peter and Raymond Hull states that people are usually promoted to positions quite above their competence. Are most governors in Nigeria truly competent. Are they willing to learn?

This leads to the other Peter Principle: the Peter Obi Principle. This column will recommend him especially to the new governors. They must quietly seek out the erstwhile governor of Anambra State, Governor Peter Obi and tap his mind on the art of running a state in an emerging economy like Nigeria’s. It is not only that Anambra is not owing workers, it has enough in its kitty to lend money to some overly trouble states.

Obi did not only leave about N80 billion in cash for his successor Chief Willie Obiano, he put millions of dollars of the state’s funds in bonds that will mature in a few years time at some profit. As if he saw tomorrow, he executed a policy of putting aside at least N100million monthly for his eight years in office. Apart from a glaring fiscal discipline, he never embarked on any vanity projects of policies but enacted numerous decisions that would continue to redound on the economic well being of the state for a very long time.

There are investments in modern shopping malls in Awka, Nnewi, Onitsha; Onitsha Business Parks one and two and a N500 million investment with the Bank of Industry to support SMEs in Anambra State. Perhaps most remarkable is the SAB Miller’s breweries in Onitsha, which recently expanded to Nnewi. SAB Miller, one of the biggest brewers in the world has invested about $170 million in its Nigeria subsidiary based in Anambra and will provide about 50,000 jobs at full capacity. This is the way to build a state’s economy.

Peter Obi exemplified prudent leadership while delivering value to the people. At the time he left in March 2014, he had restored the people’s trust in public schools and Anambra candidates topped in all national exams for many years. While some states are so indebted that they are no longer credit worthy, Peter Obi did not borrow a dime in eight years. His time in Anambra (2006- 2014) ought to be a case study on how to run a state. He left the state far better than he met it and proved that it is not the quantum of funds available to a state but the quality of mind managing it.

http://thenationonlineng.net/new/troubled-governors-and-peter-principle/

cc: Lalasticlala, Ishilove, Obinoscopy, Ikengawo, Superstar1, Raumdeter, Abagworo, Schematics, Sunnybobo3, Eagleeye2, Eaglechild, AgabaI23.

24 Likes 6 Shares

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by Nobody: 12:18am On Jun 20, 2015
sad doesnt make our refineries work. just hope dis new government wudnt be a social, talkative govt. na action we want oooooo. make all of u shuttup 4 once
Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by adconline(m): 12:26am On Jun 20, 2015
The difference a professional businessman and a professional politrickian running a state.. Obi is the former!

12 Likes

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by brize(m): 12:29am On Jun 20, 2015
Obi still set the pace

2 Likes

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by Chigold101(m): 12:33am On Jun 20, 2015
I am waiting for those that hate Mr Peter Obi to come here and fire him...
Obi is actually a role model...
Soludo said obi didnt carry out any capital project... We Ndi Anambra are laughing at Soludo because we have the best road network in Nigeria... Trust me if i tell you that.

20 Likes

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by Feranchek(m): 2:46am On Jun 20, 2015
Chigold101:
I am waiting for those that hate Mr Peter Obi to come here and fire him...
Obi is actually a role model...
Soludo said obi didnt carry out any capital project... We Ndi Anambra are laughing at Soludo because we have the best road network in Nigeria... Trust me if i tell you that.

OK. I dey wait make you tell me that.... grin

1 Like

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by CCsurplus007(m): 3:14am On Jun 20, 2015
Peter obi blazing the trail while Ogbeni keeps making flimsy excuses on dwinling oil prices. When the going was good he was busy galivanting with his chartered plane doing owanbe now casala don burst. Oga titus pls pay your workers!.

10 Likes

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by PRYCE(m): 3:24am On Jun 20, 2015
God knows each time I hear the word 'Governor', my mood totally changes be it PDP or APC

2 Likes

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by Nobody: 3:31am On Jun 20, 2015
Economics is now reality ... our Governors lack financial management skills .... they are not creative . The constitution need to be really amended so as to incorporate proven financial management skills in the office of the president and that of the governor else .... these present folks of politicians will sink this country finally.

1 Like

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by jamaicanoshu(m): 4:27am On Jun 20, 2015
This is one of the better post i have read anywhere ! Thank you for this write up. The Protocols of the Rich Baron{ THE PROTOCOLS OF ZION) state that their chief education is economic or financial education . This is the main reason the Khazars/Jews are among the richest tribe on the planet. They are closely followed by the Chinese. The Chinese Holy book :The art of War says" to make war you must first make the country rich !" The first non white country to industrialize Japan had this motto " RICH COUNTRY, STRONG ARMY". Let us change our Bibles and Qurans and insert motto's like PRODUCE MORE THAN YOU CONSUME as the 11th commandment. Let us make the chief education of all Nigerians an economic one. Thus we can make the people Cost Conscious and Profit minded producing 170 million PETER OBI'S !

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by Nobody: 5:04am On Jun 20, 2015
Peter Obi nwannem. cheesy

This is why Oyegun said that the APC govt ministerial appointments will cut across different parties. I'm sure they have Peter Obi in mind.

Bunch of propagandists and pretenders. undecided

6 Likes

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by biafransoul: 5:26am On Jun 20, 2015
Peter Obi remains one of the best brains in financial management in this country and I respect him for that. To be frank, other governors should emulate what is happening in Anambra state in terms of financial management and governance. Once again, kudos to Mr Peter Obi

10 Likes

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by Nobody: 5:31am On Jun 20, 2015
Why not recommend this man, Peter Obi as the new Finance Minister? It's time we look beyond party line. He has been tested and found worthy. May God be with him and his family. God bless Nigeria. Please check my signature too. Thanks.

8 Likes

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by cerzo(m): 5:51am On Jun 20, 2015
obi..u re d best

1 Like

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by Okikiade(m): 6:06am On Jun 20, 2015
God bless Peter Obi and all those who wish goodwill to Nigeria and Nigerians! Bunch of propagandists has been milking states fund since time immememorial! God Dey sha!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by Nobody: 6:20am On Jun 20, 2015
I hereby declare d state of osun a failed state

16 Likes

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by Vicotex(m): 6:21am On Jun 20, 2015
Radio Biafra don hit one of those Media houses wey dey carry propaganda up and down. They should leave us alone and face their corrupted soyinka , tinubu and co.

Btw, follow Peter's principle

3 Likes

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by Nobody: 6:24am On Jun 20, 2015

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by dtruth3(m): 6:34am On Jun 20, 2015
What more can i say, i did tell people all the time, even during and after, that no one could be compared with Peter Obi. Indeed, he performed above expectation.

There is one remarkable thing about him, all through his regime, you will never see him on any Media house seeking for any cheap popularity. You will hardly know he was doing anything. His media team headed by Mr Mike Udah, was very silent. And his works was speaking for him. Unlike many THIEVES in Governors clothing we have today.

The only mistake he made in life, was to assist and supported the emergence of Malam Kabiru Usman Okorocha, to become Governor of IMO state under APGA platform. And what later happened, the Id..iot foolishly decamped to a stupid Party, that has DEPT as one of there fiscal policy!

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by marked10(m): 6:41am On Jun 20, 2015
lll

1 Like

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by kettykings: 6:42am On Jun 20, 2015
GodsMercy1:
Why not recommend this man, Peter Obi as the new Finance Minister? It's time we look beyond party line. He has been tested and found worthy. May God be with him and his family. God bless Nigeria. Please check my signature too. Thanks.

Peter Obi needs to implement in nigeria the fantastically prudential use of resources he did in anambra

5 Likes

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by jaybee3(m): 6:44am On Jun 20, 2015
Question on any responsible Governor's mind should be:
Should i embark on projects that would normally propel us to sustainable developmental growths or,
Should i save for rainy days even though inflation could render the projected income useless

Here is a clue though, there is a reason why the powerful economies are also highly indebted.
Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by MzJackBaueress(f): 6:58am On Jun 20, 2015
IdiAmin1:
Peter Obi nwannem. cheesy

This is why Oyegun said that the APC govt ministerial appointments will cut across different parties. I'm sure they have Peter Obi in mind.

Bunch of propagandists and pretenders. undecided
Peter Obi is already the SEC boss. He doesn't need a ministerial post again. I hope he performs well in his new appointment.
Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by hucienda: 7:02am On Jun 20, 2015
Nice one.
Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by funkiebully: 7:04am On Jun 20, 2015
GodsMercy1:

Wait for d children of hate and anger to remind u igbos did not vote apc and therefore should not get any post.

Haven't u heard of their call for Ekweremadu's resignation? The 'change' chanters.

Hypocrisy smelling every where.

14 Likes

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by Nobody: 7:04am On Jun 20, 2015
Mind you that my able former governor declared that he won't run for any elective positions again in his life. Coming from a background of a technocrat and not a career politician.
Otherwise, he is the best president Nigeria may never have.

3 Likes

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by amanze15(m): 7:05am On Jun 20, 2015
Simple economics 101

1 Like

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by Nobody: 7:07am On Jun 20, 2015
Peter Obi did wonders witH his financial management of Anambra funds, I think Obiano need to continue his legacies and build infrastructure that tallies with the need of thhe masses.

I'm gutted with the wastefulness of Rochas the scammer, how can you build Hotels in the 3 senatorial zones without a careful analysis of its cost benefits to the people. I know he was the one that chartered jet and allowed its engine to run for hours on the tarmac.

Aregbe doesn't deserve my mention because he is the worst thing that happened to Osun since its creation.

The Nation Newspaper did a good job today and deserves my commendation for this house cleansing article

12 Likes

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by Nobody: 7:09am On Jun 20, 2015
OREMUSSANCTUS:
I hereby declare d state of osun a failed state

3 Likes

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by ACM10: 7:16am On Jun 20, 2015
Why am I always uncomfortable whenever I see packs of wolf praising and cheering an elephant? undecided

1 Like

Re: The Nation Newspaper Praises Peter Obi & Blasts Several APC Govs In New Article by Nobody: 7:18am On Jun 20, 2015
I was so shocked when I flew Med-view October last year and Met Peter Obi sitting on the economy from Abuja to Lagos. People were so amazed considering his relationship with the govt then and yet not being extravagant.

When we got to Lagos, he carried his briefcase himself and people were asking him for some pictures and he obliged.

Peter Obi is really a rock.

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ongoing Fight Going On In Onitsha / Map Of South Western Nigeria Showing 61 Locations Of Fulani Settlements In West / Awolowo Would Have Had A Better Relationship With Michael Okpara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.