Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,316 members, 7,815,579 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:48 PM

Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. (17069 Views)

3 Possible Reasons Why Power Banks Explode / Ghanaian Boy's Chat With Fake Messi Exposed Online / We Didn't Do Anything Wrong Nokia CEO Cries Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 9:23am On Jun 20, 2015
This will be succinct and precise.

Stupefied I was to learn of the phoney claim that power bank electrocuted a Ghanaian girl, Blandine, who had it placed on her bre.st region while it was charging. This claim was backed up by photos to lend credence to it.

Having examined facts and pictures, I observe and state as follows

1. That the claim was at best phoney and specious given that we have Alternating Current AC, and Direct Current, DC and power banks ,batteries, fuel cells and solar cells generally produce only Direct Current. This is because electrons here flow in one direction only. The reverse is the case in AC.

Power banks or batteries produce just DC energy which is microscopic that when even both terminals are touched wouldn't have effect.

That the fact that the said power bank was connected to a charger is immaterial given that chargers, including phone chargers, produces no AC but DC current usually 5v using a rectifier by reversing the polarity of one half of the period of the AC signal hence couldn't have led to shocks let alone electrocution.

In other words, chargers are plugged to AC outlets and chargers get the AC power and convert it to DC.
It's that DC that charges your phone or laptop batteries.
So the wires of your charger , ie the one that extends from the charger head has DC flowing in it.

That is the reason why nothing happens to you when you touch the Unclad iron part your laptop or phone chargers.

Again, it's not every contact with Unclad wires that kills. The effect is determined by a lot of factors like the volts, current, resistance etc. That explains why you occasionally touch Unclad wires and remove your hands immediately without severe injury.

It remains to be added that a fastidious look at the picture of the girl while alive and that supposing her to be dead are different. Spot the shape of the nose in both pics, one flat (while alive) and the other pointed, (dead)

Conclusively, the whole enchilada can be anything but true and is at best a cheap misleading PHOTOSHOP tosh. In fact, a blatherskite.
I stand to be controverted.

Thank you.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by iPopAlomo(m): 9:27am On Jun 20, 2015
I've told people... that can't be a power bank... it's a hard disk...

it wasn't plugged to the laptop... it was plugged in to power... directly...

3 Likes

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by donklint86: 9:32am On Jun 20, 2015
Could it be photoshop in the real sense?
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 9:32am On Jun 20, 2015
iPopAlomo:
I've told people... that can't be a power bank... it's a hard disk...

No
Even a laptop itself can't do that.

2 Likes

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by mdbissalla(m): 9:35am On Jun 20, 2015
whatever!
pls, leave that theory/grammer...
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 9:35am On Jun 20, 2015
donklint86:
Could it be photoshop in the real sense?
Better photoshop bro
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by Tellnig: 9:39am On Jun 20, 2015
See, I had a power bank back then, February i guess, i connected my MP4 to it, while charging I just heard GBOOOOM he blow danu, thank God i wasn't holding it, maybe my death would have made headlines....
Anyway checkout my signature for the hottest Etisalat promo jho

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by shevi4mb(m): 9:42am On Jun 20, 2015
People can go extramile to correct children. Back in the olden days, they used to tell us that, taking garri after eatin cherry mango will kill, but this new age, the elders are now scaring ur digitally..... grin

8 Likes

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by iPopAlomo(m): 9:44am On Jun 20, 2015
SpeedyConnect:

No
Even a laptop itself can't do that.

if you read the cause of her death... cos I wasn't there... it said the power bank was plugged into a power socket when there was no power... and kept on her shoulder when she was asleep... but that's not a power bank... it's too flat to be an old generation power bank... and power banks cases aren't made of metal... they are made from plastic... this is flat... and has a metallic body... my brothers that sell hard disk casing at computer village would tell you that's the case of an hard disk... I've been shocked by one plugged into a PC... so I know what I'm talking about... only when plugged into power via a USB plug would you see an effect like that... the hard disk gripped her skin... shocked and paralysed her at the same time... notice the picture... it melted the skin surrounding it... only a power surge stopped it... but the deed had been done...
from the whole scenario... I deduce a terrible prank had been played on her... and whoever was at the scene first cos that would probably be the culprit/suspect said it was a power bank to save face...
but that is not a power bank... that's is an hard disk...
I could be wrong though...

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by iPopAlomo(m): 9:46am On Jun 20, 2015
Tellnig:
See, I had a power bank back then, February i guess, i connected my MP4 to it, while charging I just heard GBOOOOM he blow danu, thank God i wasn't holding it, maybe my death would have made headlines....
Anyway checkout my signature for the hottest Etisalat promo jho

But prior to it blowing... had it ever shocked you...?! please be truthful...
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 10:01am On Jun 20, 2015
iPopAlomo:

if you read the cause of her death... cos I wasn't there... it said the power bank was plugged into power socket... and kept on her shoulder and she slept off... but that's not a power bank... it's too flat to be an old generation power bank... and power banks cases aren't made of metal... they are made from plastic... this is flat... and has a metallic body... my brothers that all hard disk casing at computer village would tell you that's the case of an hard disk... I've been shocked by one plugged into a PC... so I know what I'm talking about... only when plugged into power via a USB plug would you see an effect like that... the hard disk gripped her skin... shocked and paralysed her at the same time... notice the picture... it melted the skin surrounding it... only a power surge stopped it... but the deed had been done...
from the whole scenario... I deduce a terrible prank had been played on her... and whoever was at the scene first cos that would probably be the culprit/suspect said it was a power bank to save face...
but that is not a power bank... that's is an hard disk...
I could be wrong though...

My guy, get the gist.
If you touch the casing of a system componet eg CPU, it could shock you depending on where you touched because the AC current may not have been converted then.
Just like when u open a battery charger and touch the AC current without conversion, it will shock you.
Again, shocks from AC even have degrees depending on the volts, current, resistance , duration etc, let alone DC.

Thats why the high tension wires kill immediately as opposed to the wires at home. Because High tension wires have high current and volts so that it can travel, so it gets stepped down to like 220v with a transformer before going to our homes.

7 Likes

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by iPopAlomo(m): 10:11am On Jun 20, 2015
SpeedyConnect:

My guy, get the gist.
If you touch the casing of a system componet eg CPU, it could shock you depending on where you touched because the AC current may not have been converted then.
Just like when u open a battery charger and touch the AC current without conversion, it will shock you.
Again, shocks from AC even have degrees depending on the volts, current, resistance , duration etc, let alone DC.

Thats why the high tension wires kill immediately as opposed to the wires at home. Because High tension wires have high current and volts so that it can travel, so it gets stepped down to like 220v with a transformer before going to our homes.

A badly insulated system would shock one... the 220v at home that hasn't been earthed would kill one also... I've forgetten my energy generation, transmission and distribution of power... but 0.5v would kill an elephant... don't mislead people...

3 Likes

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by Nobody: 10:24am On Jun 20, 2015
SpeedyConnect:

My guy, get the gist.

Don't get it twisted, anything is possible, there's so much messed up chinko chargers and power banks all over town.

Sometimes, you can't even use a plugged laptop because of mild shocks.

2 Likes

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by IWillSucceed: 10:24am On Jun 20, 2015
I thought I was the only one that could easily see that the Ghana girl story was only one of those fake nude attention seeking story that fills the Internet. OP is sooooo correct.

Why would the parents even allow her to be photographed half nude in death contrary to easily covering her up out of love and integrity.

2 Likes

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by Harvard13(m): 10:30am On Jun 20, 2015
its is/was metalic which means it could have heated to a high temperature causing burning. it could also have blown! (yeah, batteries blow). also the sweat from d heat could have aided cos water conducts more than human body so...u never can tell
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 10:45am On Jun 20, 2015
iPopAlomo:

A badly insulated system would shock one... the 220v at home that hasn't been earthed would kill one also... I've forgetten my energy generation, transmission and distribution of power... but 0.5v would kill an elephant... don't mislead people...
Haba! Don't you know that shocks can be severe but not fatal depending on several factors I listed above. Or must all shocks kill? Please check the factors I listed.
Please what's the empirical back up. You think you are stronger than elephant.
Don't spew gibberish please.
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 10:49am On Jun 20, 2015
Harvard13:
its is/was metalic which means it could have heated to a high temperature causing burning. it could also have blown! (yeah, batteries blow). also the sweat from d heat could have aided cos water conducts more than human body so...u never can tell
Seems you have no smattering of this.

You are talking about water sweat and water when I am telling you that the energy that can get in contact with you is DC once the charger is plugged to AC outlet. That's why you touch the mouth iron part of your phone chargers and nothing happens.

Even if you get your car battery and hold both terminals, no significant thing will happen.

1 Like

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 10:50am On Jun 20, 2015
Imanuelle:

Don't get it twisted, anything is possible, there's so much messed up chinko chargers and power banks all over town.

Sometimes, you can't even use a plugged laptop because of mild shocks.

Makeihear
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 10:51am On Jun 20, 2015
IWillSucceed:
I thought I was the only one that could easily see that the Ghana girl story was only one of those fake nude attention seeking story that fills the Internet. OP is sooooo correct.

Why would the parents even allow her to be photographed half nude in death contrary to easily covering her up out of love and integrity.
Thanks my man.
Floreat.
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 10:54am On Jun 20, 2015
mdbissalla:
whatever!

pls, leave that theory/grammer...
Why should we leave it. You sound incurious. That's why we don't advance in this country scientifically. Because we ask no questions. No quest for knowledge.

6 Likes

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by Whizpeter(m): 10:55am On Jun 20, 2015
I always tell people that a power bank can't just explode like that..
If you check the specs of chargers and powerbanks, you're likely to see something like 'Output=DC 5V-1A'

No vex, 5V and DC for that matter fit explode?
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by DBlackCeazer(m): 11:05am On Jun 20, 2015
There are several ceramic Capacitors connected from the primary section (where you ve hot live) to the secondary ground of every standard power supply, there re instances where they go bad (short) and pose a shock hazard, basically cheap adapters are prone to this type of fault, I ve also seen situations where lightening are the culprits, You ve to be extremely careful whenever you ve your gadgets connected to the mains, especially if it has a metal frame that's grounded, also make sure your home is properly wired, with a functional ELCB installed. A word is enough for the wise.

2 Likes

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by iamord(m): 11:17am On Jun 20, 2015
SpeedyConnect:
Thanks my man. Floreat.
u went to Kings college?

1 Like

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by boss1310(m): 11:43am On Jun 20, 2015
leave the"alive"picture whether she is the one lying dead doesnt matter what matters is that the unclad lady dies with a power bank on her body,the injury is there and its no photoshop.
i carefully read thru ur grammar and your knowledge of electricity am yet to find out what you can tell us that killed the girl.tell us dear because you know it very well also the time and place of her death too.pls sir

1 Like

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by iPopAlomo(m): 11:48am On Jun 20, 2015
SpeedyConnect:

Haba! Don't you know that shocks can be severe but not fatal depending on several factors I listed above. Or must all shocks kill? Please check the factors I listed.
Please what's the empirical back up. You think you are stronger than elephant.
Don't spew gibberish please.

I'm not and I won't argue with you... under the right condition... an AA battery (finger battery) will kill a human... I'm not in the mood to crack my brain... so I'll let this pass... but if you engage me properly... backed up by facts... then I might come out of engineering and school you a bit... until then... you win...

3 Likes

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by donhils: 11:52am On Jun 20, 2015
Then again, why would somebody need to use a powerbank in Ghana? They are said to have constant and uninterrupted power supply.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by Esdb3: 11:55am On Jun 20, 2015
SpeedyConnect:
This will be succinct and precise.

Stupefied I was to learn of the phoney claim that power bank electrocuted a Ghanaian girl, Blandine, who had it placed on her bre.st region while it was charging. This claim was backed up by photos to lend credence to it.

A power bank might not have killed her but pls do yourself a favour by googling a video of a phone battery exploding and shut up about power banks not being able to explode.

3 Likes

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 12:09pm On Jun 20, 2015
iamord:
u went to Kings college?
No dear, attended a no less noble one, CKC osha.

1 Like

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by iPopAlomo(m): 12:10pm On Jun 20, 2015
The numerical answer: Voltage is like electrical pressure, voltage causes charges to flow, and when charges flow through our bodies at a low rate, we can't even feel a thing. But when they flow at more than a certain high rate, bad things happen. To stay safe, we should only play with voltages which are way less than 45 volts. Don't mess with plug-in appliances, they use 120 volts. As long as the electric charges flow through your body at a rate that is lots less than 1/1000 of an ampere (one milliamp), you can't even feel them. To stay safe, only send electrical current through your body at a rate less than 1/1000 ampere, and do this by staying away from high voltage. But this is numerical, so it's not that meaningful.
The "electricity" which flows through human bodies is charged particles: potassium ions, sodium ions, chloride, etc. Since these particles are always inside our bodies, we can't say that "electricity" is dangerous. Instead, it is the FLOW of charges which causes problems. Think like this: human beings are partly composed of movable "electricity" or charges, but these charges normally don't move much. If something makes them move, abnormal things can happen. When someone gets a shock from touching wires, electricity WAS NOT put into their body from outside. Instead, the electric voltage on the wires pushed upon the charges already inside their body, which then moved forward, causing an electric current to appear inside. During electrocution, human beings become part of an electric circuit, and the circuit causes their "electricity" to begin flowing fast.
During electrocution, the large abnormal electric current (ion currents) cause nerves to fire, which causes muscles to tense up, and this can include your heart muscle and your diaphragm (electric current can stop the heart and prevent breathing.) Suddenly-tensed muscles can throw your body across a room hard enough to break bones or cause concussions. Also, electric currents directed through your heart can trigger fibrillation, which is a type of fast, quivering heartbeat which does not pump blood. Once fibrillation is triggered, it might not stop by itself. And finally, large electric currents can cause heating which cooks tissue.
As long as the value of electric current within tissues is small, it will not cause significant pain, heat, or muscle contraction. For example, if you touch the metal terminals of a 9 volt battery with wet fingertips from each hand, the voltage does push a measurable electric current in a circular path through your arms and chest! Yet the only result is that your fingertips become full of corroded metal from the electrochemistry occuring where the wet skin touches metal. In other words, 9 volt batteries are relatively safe. Now if you did the same thing with a 90 volt photographer's photoflash battery, the voltage-push is ten times higher, and the value of current would be ten times higher. You'd feel violent pain, your arms would jerk away, and some people would even go into cardiac fibrillation or "heart attack." The 9v battery creates a small current which you can't even feel. The 90v battery creates a larger current which is painful and dangerous.
Voltage is not the only thing which determines whether you get a shock. ELectrical resistance of your skin is also important. If the resistance of your skin is low, then a smaller voltage will create a larger current. For example, if you have tough, thick, dry skin on your hands, you might be able to touch even a 90-volt battery without harm (don't try it though!). Your higher skin resistance only allowed the battery to create a small current through your body. On the other hand, if you have thin, moist skin, then the same battery voltage will push a much higher current through you. If your skin is thin enough, then even a 9v battery might cause a larger current, which gives your fingers a slight tingle.

p.s...

graduated 8 years ago and I'm not practising... you can see the burn mask and you still call that Photoshop... I'm done with you... nah una dey make people yab engineers...

Cc: speedyconnect...

3 Likes

Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 12:10pm On Jun 20, 2015
Esdb3:

A power bank might not have killed her but pls do yourself a favour by googling a video of a phone battery exploding and shut up about power banks not being able to explode.
Glad you conceded that it might not have killed her.
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 12:11pm On Jun 20, 2015
iamord:
u went to Kings college?
Why do you ask?
Re: Power Banks Can't And Didn't Kill A Ghanaian Girl. See Why. by SpeedyConnect(m): 12:12pm On Jun 20, 2015
boss1310:
leave the"alive"picture whether she is the one lying dead doesnt matter what matters is that the unclad lady dies with a power bank on her body,the injury is there and its no photoshop.
i carefully read thru ur grammar and your knowledge of electricity am yet to find out what you can tell us that killed the girl.tell us dear because you know it very well also the time and place of her death too.pls sir
See your argument. You are asking me what killed her when I am making a case that it was a photoshop. Doleful.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Upload Picture On Twitter With Any Browser (java Users) / Gionee M5, 6000mah And 4 Day Battery Life / 5 Key Considerations For Purchasing A New Smartphone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.