Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,747 members, 7,809,855 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:02 PM

Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? (14463 Views)

Banking Career Path For A Science Graduate / 16 Years Banking Experience As A Contract Staff (Age Barrier) / Banking Career Progression And When To Quit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by Creamish(f): 1:37pm On Jun 22, 2015
Kockane:
Hello everyone,

Please I need your advise. I'm at wits end as to how to successfully combine my career as a banker, which takes almost all of my time, with pursuit of a master's degree.

I am 27, a graduate of Anatomy, 2.2 from a Federal University, with about 2 years banking experience. I recently got promoted to the level of an Assistant Banking Officer (ABO) in one of the top Banks in the country. Take home pay is about 330k/month so I'm fairly comfortable. I'm still single and ain't looking to marry within the next two-three years so I believe I have time to wrap up my masters degree before taking the big step.

I'm looking to further my education, concurrently with my work, no passion for the sciences anymore, so I'm looking at an MBA. I've heard a lot of talk about online programs but I've come to realise they are either overly expensive or the cheap ones have little or no recognition in the labour market. I've tried the distance learning in one of the universities in the southeast but couldn't keep up due to time constraint, had to drop out cuz I missed a couple of tests and exams. I've also considered the National Open Uni but honestly speaking, I'd rather pursue my dreams at an institution with more pedigree (no offense intended).

Pls, I'd appreciate if there are any MBA programs that are cheap and flexible for working class individuals like myself based in Abuja who have a tight schedule. Thanks everyone.

Try National Open University. Cheap, flexible and recognized. wink
Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by abbeyty(m): 1:42pm On Jun 22, 2015
Anatomy graduate in banking sector

2 Likes

Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by obaede: 1:42pm On Jun 22, 2015
Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by Creamish(f): 1:43pm On Jun 22, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
the only thing I saw is ABO earning 330k/mth
Abi is ABO no more the level after ET? embarassed
What do BOs and SBOs now earn in that your bank? Guy fear God ooo grin

We are interested in that your bank o.
Make everybody submit application there.

Anyway, so many people have combined both and are still combining it.
The trick is getting a school close to your residence, someone would give you notes and assignments. If you have developed a good relationship with your boss, granting you permission to write exams wouldn't be a hard nut to crack.

You might not gain the necessary knowledge, you would just have a 'Masters'. wink

I'm guessing Heritage Bank.

He should do his MBA at National Open University. That's his best bet if he wants to combine schooling and working without the stress of traveling or even weekend programs. It all depends on how book-smart he is. He can read on his own or opt for lectures usually organized by course-mates..not the school.

@OP...walk into NOUN office in Wuse 2...close to GLO office and make ur inquiry.
Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by uboma(m): 1:43pm On Jun 22, 2015
LordMecuzy:
I work in Abj and I do my MBA in University of Agriculture Makurdi, I come for only exams... The MBA coordinator is a nice man once you are ready to Leverage

No carry over so far Bro, By August I will be tru with my coursework

Why expose the MBA Coordinator on a public forum?

2 Likes

Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by Nobody: 1:46pm On Jun 22, 2015
Unfortunately the only university that satisfy your need does not seem to have much 'pedigree',according to you, that is the National Open University of Nigeria,which is flexible in nature and affordable. You seem to know what you want,but what you want may be difficult to get. Anyway keep searching.
Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by Coldplay007(f): 1:49pm On Jun 22, 2015
Do you actually believe UniAbuja has more pedigree than NOUN?
I will rather go to NOUN than university of Abuja...

1 Like

Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jun 22, 2015
Creamish:

I'm guessing Heritage Bank.

He should do his MBA at National Open University. That's his best bet if he wants to combine schooling and working without the stress of traveling or even weekend programs. It all depends on how book-smart he is. He can read on his own or opt for lectures usually organized by course-mates..not the school.

@OP...walk into NOUN office in Wuse 2...close to GLO office and make ur inquiry.
lols
Where did Heritage bank see that kind money. shocked
It's GTBank joor. I guess he approximated it to the nearest whole number, because I think they are paid 'bout 311k.

NOUN? I just don't trust that uni. Are they good?
Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by LordMecuzy(m): 1:52pm On Jun 22, 2015
uboma:

Why expose the MBA Coordinator on a public forum?
Bros chill except u feel the leverage is bribe ..
But to me it's not
Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by Tobbey(m): 1:55pm On Jun 22, 2015
himkers:
[size=20]what has the advice you seek here got to do with you telling us how much you earn and when you are to get married?? Nawa for kids of nowadays kiss[/size]

Quoote me at your own peril

JUST HEAR YOURSELF
Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by Creamish(f): 1:56pm On Jun 22, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

lols
It's GTBank joor. I guess he approximated it to the nearest whole number, because they are paid 'bout 311k.

Also heard UBA pays more. Well Iv heard the Uni is trusted and accredited and all..
Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by LegitDiva: 2:03pm On Jun 22, 2015
Gtbankers can show off shaa....how i dislike thee

1 Like

Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by omomummy13: 2:09pm On Jun 22, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

lols
It's GTBank joor. I guess he approximated it to the nearest whole number, because they are paid 'bout 311k.

You guyz dint state clearly if that figure is before deduction of upfront or after upfront payment.

An open university or a foreign online MBA will be ok for promotion.
Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by mranova(m): 2:18pm On Jun 22, 2015
you can choose to study in an accredited UK university from here in Nigeria through the online study mode @ the cost of $11,000. Though it takes 29 months to complete(because it is part time study mode). Perfect study mode as you work you study, plus the payments are in instalments. That is $1222 per module and you cover 9 modules including desertation. Its been working well for me, your certificate will be as good as you went there to study. You can choose to attend your graduation in person or your certificate mailed to you. For more info mail me or check this link.
http://refer.roehampton-online.com/v2/share/6140887970600546565
Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by ruffhandu: 2:30pm On Jun 22, 2015
Kockane:
Hello everyone,

Please I need your advise. I'm at wits end as to how to successfully combine my career as a banker, which takes almost all of my time, with pursuit of a master's degree.

I am 27, a graduate of Anatomy, 2.2 from a Federal University, with about 2 years banking experience. I recently got promoted to the level of an Assistant Banking Officer (ABO) in one of the top Banks in the country. Take home pay is about 330k/month so I'm fairly comfortable. I'm still single and ain't looking to marry within the next two-three years so I believe I have time to wrap up my masters degree before taking the big step.

I'm looking to further my education, concurrently with my work, no passion for the sciences anymore, so I'm looking at an MBA. I've heard a lot of talk about online programs but I've come to realise they are either overly expensive or the cheap ones have little or no recognition in the labour market. I've tried the distance learning in one of the universities in the southeast but couldn't keep up due to time constraint, had to drop out cuz I missed a couple of tests and exams. I've also considered the National Open Uni but honestly speaking, I'd rather pursue my dreams at an institution with more pedigree (no offense intended).

Pls, I'd appreciate if there are any MBA programs that are cheap and flexible for working class individuals like myself based in Abuja who have a tight schedule. Thanks everyone.

Hi,
I suggest you enroll for your programme with LBS or EBS, it'll be convenient enough for you. Are you a marketer? I'm on one at the moment.
Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by boneruns(m): 2:34pm On Jun 22, 2015
Hello Kockane,

Congratulations on your promotion to the next level. I remember you contemplated dumping GT job for Hull MBA, and you were advised to take study leave, if possible. Please what happened? Why are changing your plan? Because I followed that thread from start to finish and I gained reasonable advice.

1 Like

Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Jun 22, 2015
Creamish:

Also heard UBA pays more. Well Iv heard the Uni is trusted and accredited and all..
hahaha
The kind banks you are now mentioning sha. I heard they reviewed their salary _ though I don't know what percentage of increase was made.

omomummy13:

You guyz dint state clearly if that figure is before deduction of upfront or after upfront payment.
An open university or a foreign online MBA will be ok for promotion.
You wan submit your CV?
Come into the the system and find out. grin
Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by stepo707: 2:54pm On Jun 22, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

hahaha
The kind banks you are now mentioning sha. I heard they reviewed their salary _ though I don't know what percentage of increase was made.

You wan submit your CV?
Come into the the system and find out. grin
Are you a banker?
Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by iamwrong(m): 3:01pm On Jun 22, 2015
It's very possible. Besides I rather you go to Nassarawa university or ABU zaria that's close by to abuja to do your masters than to go to uni abuja. Noun even have better pedigree than uni abuja.

Check out the university in kwara and benue they are quite affordable and close by to abuja.

I would have also preferred you go to U.I, O.A.U ife and Nsukka they are also affordable with good prospects for the labour market (besides if you can afford the means for air travel, it makes ur movement and programme quite easy as well as saving you time)

Cheers! !
Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by jeff1607(m): 3:06pm On Jun 22, 2015
I wonder if the op could release personal details about his degree,pay etc he would have done the same with the name of the hmmm.(Ladies of easy virtue,its in ur hands)#nuf said

1 Like

Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by Ghost01(m): 3:09pm On Jun 22, 2015
Try ABU, you only have to come on weekends, though it may take you three years to complete.
Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by Otunbatrafford: 3:28pm On Jun 22, 2015
Forget uni abuja, the school no be am. Nasarawa state university is better.

1 Like

Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by Tinyemeka(m): 3:30pm On Jun 22, 2015
Kockane:
Hello everyone,

You have no issues. Since you are currently an ABO, I don't see you going back to sciences, abi?

There are so many schools offering MBA programs (weekend classes) for working professionals. ESUT Business School is currently receiving applications. They offer MBA in Banking and Finance, Bus Admin, HR and Marketing. I've forgotten their other courses. App form is 20, 000, N180, 000 per semester. The MBA programme runs for 4 semesters.

P.S. How did you get to ABO in 2 yrs?
Marketing? FBN? Or ZB?

1 Like

Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by KEVIND: 3:31pm On Jun 22, 2015
abbeyty:
Anatomy graduate in banking sector
Do you reside in Nigeria cos if you do you'll know that even graduates of history,biology,fishery,yoruba and Igbo languages etc work in Nigeria banks.

1 Like

Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by Polithiefcian(m): 3:51pm On Jun 22, 2015
Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by anotherspring: 4:13pm On Jun 22, 2015
Kockane:
Hello everyone,

The "Right Information" is Power! Be informed!!
Do you ever desire to study in the US? Worry no more
as we walk you through the US Grad School admissions and funding! - 99.9% Success rate . -
We are currently offering:
1. Free review sessions to potential applicants to US grad schools. we'll help to scrutinize and review their "application packets" to determine what your odds are in getting admission and funding for any of the majors listed below:
Application packet include: Resume/Cv, Copy of Academic transcripts, GRE /TOEFl scores.NB: if you've not taken the GRE yet but you plan taking the exam soon, you're also welcome to send us your transcript and CV pending you get ur GRE result. You may send us your a Compressed version of your "Application packet" (preferably in pdf format) as attachment our email id: msphdinus@gmail.com
with subject titled: "Free Review Application Packet"
2. Free advising on study abroad:
Engineering Disciplines:
Computer science, MIS, and IT Related courses,
Electrical engineering
Mechanical and Agric. Engineering
Civil Engineering
Chemical Engineering
Food science and Engineering
Aerospace Engineering
Industrial Engineering
Sciences:
Material Science, Chemistry, Physics, Biology, Micro-Biology, Earth Science, Geology
Social sciences:
Mass communication, Political science, Accounting, Business administration, Economics
Agricultural sciences:
Agronomy
Plant pathology
Agric Economics and Extention
Soil Science...
...speak to us, we'll be glad to help you.
contact email: msphdinus@gmail.com or like our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/MS-PhD-Abroad/1599287637027588?ref=ts&fref=ts

Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by kesprime(m): 4:20pm On Jun 22, 2015
It's very possible...have u heard of EDINBURGH Business sch?...it offers you a flexible and affordable opportunity to get tou MBA or MSC....u also get to write ur exams at the British council here in abj, and u get to recieve ur lectures (WEEKENDs) in out lecture centre in zone5....you cd check out out site on - www.edcprofessionals.net, or edc@ebsglobal.net . u get 2 round up ur prog in 18 months.. besides I also finishd as an anatomist frm Uniben, and I am also runin an MBA prog wv dem as well with my job...*FLEXIBILITY & Affordability guaranteed.
Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by neocortex: 4:27pm On Jun 22, 2015
himkers:
[size=20]what has the advice you seek here got to do with you telling us how much you earn and when you are to get married?? Nawa for kids of nowadays kiss[/size]

Envy doesn't pay grin
I think the guy was only trying to contextualize his condition so that advicers can give an informed advice.

2 Likes

Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by DrNeoCortex(m): 4:59pm On Jun 22, 2015
I was in your shoes exactly three years ago. Same bank, same position. The question you should ask yourself is "What is my long term career objective?" One thing is certain, GTBank does not care if you have a masters degree or not as long as you continue to deliver your yearly budget. Also, getting a random MBA (no-name) has a very marginal effect on your career prospects considering the pool of employable candidates in Nigeria. Finally, commercial banking in Nigeria (Operations or Marketing) requires very limited skills which are not easily transferrable to other industries. This is the reason why you will mostly see people change jobs within banking and not outside of banking.

One a second note with respect to your salary, it looks good now until you get married in Abuja and realise how significantly underpaid you are. As the last I heard of the bank, promotion is now very rare with a minimum of two years and not exactly certain year-on-year. So, at best you are looking at SBO in five-six years. Considering that you do not have a business background, the more time you spend in banking the more you box yourself to a corner and become unemployable.

My advise is that you should forget MBA for now and enroll in a professional course/certification (ACCA, CFA) asap, even if it kills you in the process.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by Nobody: 6:03pm On Jun 22, 2015
Depends.on the following..

1..Your dept...marketing or operations
2..Your boss.
3..Full time or part-time
4..Your level of I.Q

Figure that out yourself
Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by omomummy13: 6:10pm On Jun 22, 2015
DrNeoCortex:
I was in your shoes exactly three years ago. Same bank, same position. The question you should ask yourself is "What is my long term career objective?" One thing is certain, GTBank does not care if you have a masters degree or not as long as you continue to deliver your yearly budget. Also, getting a random MBA (no-name) has a very marginal effect on your career prospects considering the pool of employable candidates in Nigeria. Finally, commercial banking in Nigeria (Operations or Marketing) requires very limited skills which are not easily transferrable to other industries. This is the reason why you will mostly see people change jobs within banking and not outside of banking.

One a second note with respect to your salary, it looks good now until you get married in Abuja and realise how significantly underpaid you are. As the last I heard of the bank, promotion is now very rare with a minimum of two years and not exactly certain year-on-year. So, at best you are looking at SBO in five-six years. Considering that you do not have a business background, the more time you spend in banking the more you box yourself to a corner and become unemployable.

My advise is that you should forget MBA for now and enroll in a professional course/certification (ACCA, CFA) asap, even if it kills you in the process.

Best Advise so far plus i do not believe he became an ABO after 2yrs plus if this is how banks promote, everyone will be at mid to senior management level by now.......On average, promotion comes every 4 - 5yrs in a typical Nigerian bank...............8/10

1 Like

Re: Banking Career + Masters Pursuit In Abuja, How Tenable? by Raxxye(m): 6:11pm On Jun 22, 2015
himkers:

So now that he has told us how much he earns, how is that a problem to you?
Una sabi carry unnecessary matter for una head!
Mstcheew!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Career Options: Should I Leave My Teaching Job To Be A Driver? / Entries For The Kukah Prize For Young Innovators Now Open / 10 Things That Could Ruin Your Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.