Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,212 members, 7,829,345 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:38 AM

How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview (22593 Views)

Questions You Can Ask In An Interview / A Friend Got This Message To Come For An Interview Can Someone Verify It For Me / He Missed An Interview Because……. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by Nobody: 5:38pm On Jun 22, 2015
It's never easy. But when you come to think of it, there are only 2 possible outcomes. Smoked weed b4 my last one but it was simply the grace of God. So if you like go and smoke weed and reach interview and be smiling like a retArd.

1 Like

Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by toluine56(m): 5:39pm On Jun 22, 2015
Kufie:
Good points. No. 7 May not go too well with some Nigerian CEOs I think.
Youre right sha, buh dat depends on how its being constructed

1 Like

Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by MKO4ever(m): 5:40pm On Jun 22, 2015
If there is a female among the interviewers, just imagine the lady is unclad and facing you with all her natural resources, trust that at that moment, all the fear will disappear

1 Like

Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by Masculity(m): 5:43pm On Jun 22, 2015
donholy28:
And above all pray to God for the grace...so ur brain no go format due to d way dem go dey look u like say u steal goat...and u go begin talk nonsense and answer nonsense... ur hand go dey shake so tey u no go fit sign signature.... pray to GOD

lol. Can't stop laughing.
gringringrin
Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by EdDave(m): 5:51pm On Jun 22, 2015
IykeWest:
Its simple,get high. Smoke weed,drink alcohol, snort coke trust me you'd be coming out of the interview with flying colours and confidence of a super star. U might even get a couple of girls phone number cos they dig ya style cool grin . Works for me all the time
If it works, then u wudnt have a next time. Talkless of everytime.
Cos u wud hv clicked ur dream job the first time.
Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by Anietie1: 5:55pm On Jun 22, 2015
very good tips. Believe in God and your mind, then nothing will stop you.
Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by Samfigo1(m): 5:55pm On Jun 22, 2015
That smile of a thing I like it so much! I smile a lot! Gud one from u OP
Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 22, 2015
Nice tips
Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by Horlaz(m): 6:00pm On Jun 22, 2015
This is educative... Well, God first,nd mayb two bottle of origin wil do the needful...
Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by pussygotlips: 6:01pm On Jun 22, 2015
Never been interviewed, but whenever i have delicate meeting origin work wonders for me.
Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by Nobody: 6:18pm On Jun 22, 2015
Jarus:

This is a stunner.

In 2009, one of my friends was trying to move from P&G to Oando Marketing (Downstream). He was the one that advised them when they asked for any comment/question at the interview, that many of their stations looked old and not so modern compared to Total and Mobil. The next year, it topped their budget to revamp/remodel their stations in phases, starting with the big ones like Maryland and a few others.

That question touched the management. It was a feedback from an interviewed candidate (my friend) that turned out to trigger a key decision by the company the next year. My friend got the job but didn't take it (could agree pay).

Moral of the lesson:
Graduates need to shift their focus away from getting a Job that pays well, but rather deserving the best of 'em

Cos at the very end, Even the best companies would barely afford the best guys

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by bosunjohns(m): 6:35pm On Jun 22, 2015
LaurelP:
Some people find it difficult maintaining confidence and composure during interviews, even when they prepared well. To this kind of people, its more of a mental issue.

I just wanna give some tips based on my own experience for those faced with this problem. It may not be a total solution, but I'm sure if you practice them well, you'll improve. Interviews are like any other experience in life, you get better by practicing and going for interviews.
Maintaining confidence is an inside and outside challenge. U want ur outside appearance to project self-assurance and u also want to feel it on d inside too.

1. A confident Smile: a smile projects confidence. The right way is to smile hard, and then relax it just a little. D corners of ur mouth shud be turned up slightly, but not too much. Practice it over d mirror!

2. A firm handshake: Having a good, firm handshake also communicates confidence. A gud handshake shud be firm but not rib cracking. No girly, end of finger grab, or too stiff. Hold for a count of 3 then release.

3. Steady Eye Contact: Eyes are d window to a person's soul. Eye contact shud be steady but not searing. It shud be long enuf to come across as interested and confident, but not so long that the other person feels stared at. Its fine to break eye contact for a brief period and return again.

4. Listen attentively before answering: Some people are usually in a rush to form answers in dia head even when the question is still being asked. Dis is a bad listening skill. U shud wait for the question to be completed and understand it fisrt before answering.

5. Look and smell good: No overgrown hair, unironed clothes, dirty shoes, mouth odor, etc. All these make you loose confidence in yourself and affect your performance. You must have at least 2 good interview outfits in your wardrobe.

6. Practice self talk: Remind yourself that interviews are just a discussion and not do or die. Tell urself that u are prepared, u will do well, u will be fine.

7. See if you can discover a problem with the company: In my last interview, I told dem dat d company is loosing a lot of money becos they're not active on d social media. I explained to them and they were like woow! Dat was what gave me the job! Try if u can see a problem dat the company has and blow it out of proportion! They will employ u.

NB: These tips will work wonders only if you have already taken your time to prepare and also research the company.

Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by Nobody: 6:37pm On Jun 22, 2015
LaurelP:
Some people find it difficult maintaining confidence and composure during interviews, even when they prepared well. To this kind of people, its more of a mental issue.

I just wanna give some tips based on my own experience for those faced with this problem. It may not be a total solution, but I'm sure if you practice them well, you'll improve. Interviews are like any other experience in life, you get better by practicing and going for interviews.
Maintaining confidence is an inside and outside challenge. U want ur outside appearance to project self-assurance and u also want to feel it on d inside too.

1. A confident Smile: a smile projects confidence. The right way is to smile hard, and then relax it just a little. D corners of ur mouth shud be turned up slightly, but not too much. Practice it over d mirror!

2. A firm handshake: Having a good, firm handshake also communicates confidence. A gud handshake shud be firm but not rib cracking. No girly, end of finger grab, or too stiff. Hold for a count of 3 then release.

3. Steady Eye Contact: Eyes are d window to a person's soul. Eye contact shud be steady but not searing. It shud be long enuf to come across as interested and confident, but not so long that the other person feels stared at. Its fine to break eye contact for a brief period and return again.

4. Listen attentively before answering: Some people are usually in a rush to form answers in dia head even when the question is still being asked. Dis is a bad listening skill. U shud wait for the question to be completed and understand it fisrt before answering.

5. Look and smell good: No overgrown hair, unironed clothes, dirty shoes, mouth odor, etc. All these make you loose confidence in yourself and affect your performance. You must have at least 2 good interview outfits in your wardrobe.

6. Practice self talk: Remind yourself that interviews are just a discussion and not do or die. Tell urself that u are prepared, u will do well, u will be fine.

7. See if you can discover a problem with the company: In my last interview, I told dem dat d company is loosing a lot of money becos they're not active on d social media. I explained to them and they were like woow! Dat was what gave me the job! Try if u can see a problem dat the company has and blow it out of proportion! They will employ u.

NB: These tips will work wonders only if you have already taken your time to prepare and also research the company.

This is it ..... Love muaaah.
Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jun 22, 2015
I must commend your write up @OP

Confidence and composure is key in interviews, look straight into their eyes with a warm smile, as it gives interviewers good impressions about who you are

Practise all likely questions before hand and do your best in dishing out stunning answers but make it look to them as if those questions are meeting you off-guard, do something like pausing for a lil while before delivering

Do not talk too much when delivering, make it brief with good points

Above all PRAY, for the bible says that it is not of he that runneth or of he that willeth but of he(GOD) that showeth mercy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by emzila(m): 6:46pm On Jun 22, 2015
all these doesnt work. all u need to be confident is to assure yourself that even if u lost out, there is still hope ahead and also tell yourself that
if the company fail to employ you, they are at lost because u have something to offer no matter how small. no one is ever scare because he/she is having an interview but we get scared because we do not want to loss out and the earlier we overcome the fear of losing out the more confidence we are. the interview from which I had made success are not those ones at which I had gave all correct answers but those I had exhibit confidence with above 50% correct answers.

1 Like

Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by solidgidlas(m): 6:48pm On Jun 22, 2015
Just hold ur 33 4hand lyk diz con stagga enta d place.. tell dem their father

1 Like

Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by akanbiaa(m): 7:03pm On Jun 22, 2015
Good points but will mostly work for contract jobs, the big private and Government jobs we know how it's done except Buhari changes it Sha
Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by engrjacuzzi: 7:09pm On Jun 22, 2015
ensure you dont have bad mouth odour. go with a decent haircut . dress properly.
Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by Bflexing(m): 7:15pm On Jun 22, 2015
Lastly, smoke something for morale to be high!! grin grin

[size=20pt]BUT REMEMBER[/size]

OYO LO WA!!
Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by chinae(m): 7:22pm On Jun 22, 2015
Yes! number 7 is very vital.

During Interview my brain work 10times faster, i see myself cooking up lies i neva prepared for, nd it's always making me scale through. but outside the interview hall i find it difficult to put lies togeda, sometimes i will be forced to say it's God's gift.
Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by gbagyiza: 7:22pm On Jun 22, 2015
LaurelP:

ur points are ok but knowing ur job will also give one confidence.
Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by ednut1(m): 7:47pm On Jun 22, 2015
drink orijin
Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by Krucifax(m): 8:08pm On Jun 22, 2015
[b]1. A confident Smile:
2. A firm handshake:
3. Steady Eye Contact:
4. Listen attentively before answering:
5. Look and smell good:
6. Practice self talk:
7. See if you can discover a problem with the company

All the above whilst good points will only help you "appear" confident to the interviewers in the interview. To appear confident and to be really confident are two very separate things. The appearance of confidence will soon evaporate when the actual interview starts and you aren't able to deliver.

Now true confidence comes from assurance and belief that you will do well in the interview. Consider the OP 's points as interview day dramatics which you can of course play. However the key to interview confidence is in preparation. below is how you do it.

1. Job title:
Google the same job title and check for the job roles, job requirements and person specifications as advertised by other companies including your prospective employers. This will inform you of industry standards and what employers are looking for and the things they require in the job. It can also contribute to talking points in the interview where you highlight things they didn't even consider or mention thereby appearing to have more expertise.

2. Skill relevance:
This is the most important aspect of ANY interview. This is where you are asked to demonstrate your suitability, experience, skill and based on the Job advertised. Example, some required skill sets are Project Management, Customer Service, Team Management etc. You will need to give brief running commentary on any qualification you have on the above. Secondly any experience you have with them, when you applied them and how you applied them. A good tactic is to tell them of a scenario or problem that you resolved satisfactorily using said skill set. In a nut shell you must be prepared to talk about aspects of the job, tell them you know and show them why. This part of the interview will count to about 80% of you getting the job or not. So sell yourself beautifully.

3. Role Play:
This may sound theatrical but take it from me it'll be your ace card. After you have worked on my points 1 & 2 .Find a trusted friend or family member and do a mock interview. Where you give them the job advert and details you have gathered and ask them to start questioning you about each point. The purpose of this exercise is not so much about feedback which it could give, but for you to fine tune your interview day presentation. Consider the interview an act and this exercise your rehearsal. It's one thing to have an idea in your head but it's a totally different thing to express it when under pressure.

After my uni in London years ago I worked as a temp/contractor for a long time(because the money was there and no immediate taxes). This meant I was doing 3-6months contracts and was interviewing regularly with some tough interviewers when my contracts ended or looking for new ones and in between. Being black and with an accent in an oyibo dominated industry meant i had to work hard to sell myself against the competition. This was what worked for me. If I can do it here then you can do it in Naija or wherever you are. Good luck.[/b]

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by olu77emi: 8:27pm On Jun 22, 2015
wildchild1:
Educative,thanks for sharing OP
In other news 100pairs of TOMS available for sale https://www.nairaland.com/2392439/100-pairs-toms-unisex-shoes
What is TOMS?
Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by LaurelP(m): 8:42pm On Jun 22, 2015
Krucifax:
[b]1. A confident Smile:
2. A firm handshake:
3. Steady Eye Contact:
4. Listen attentively before answering:
5. Look and smell good:
6. Practice self talk:
7. See if you can discover a problem with the company

All the above whilst good points will only help you "appear" confident to the interviewers in the interview. To appear confident and to be really confident are two very separate things. The appearance of confidence will soon evaporate when the actual interview starts and you aren't able to deliver.

Now true confidence comes from assurance and belief that you will do well in the interview. Consider the OP 's points as interview day dramatics which you can of course play. However the key to interview confidence is in preparation. below is how you do it.

1. Job title:
Google the same job title and check for the job roles, job requirements and person specifications as advertised by other companies including your prospective employers. This will inform you of industry standards and what employers are looking for and the things they require in the job. It can also contribute to talking points in the interview where you highlight things they didn't even consider or mention thereby appearing to have more expertise.

2. Skill relevance:
This is the most important aspect of ANY interview. This is where you are asked to demonstrate your suitability, experience, skill and based on the Job advertised. Example, some required skill sets are Project Management, Customer Service, Team Management etc. You will need to give brief running commentary on any qualification you have on the above. Secondly any experience you have with them, when you applied them and how you applied them. A good tactic is to tell them of a scenario or problem that you resolved satisfactorily using said skill set. In a nut shell you must be prepared to talk about aspects of the job, tell them you know and show them why. This part of the interview will count to about 80% of you getting the job or not. So sell yourself beautifully.

3. Role Play:
This may sound theatrical but take it from me it'll be your ace card. After you have worked on my points 1 & 2 .Find a trusted friend or family member and do a mock interview. Where you give them the job advert and details you have gathered and ask them to start questioning you about each point. The purpose of this exercise is not so much about feedback which it could give, but for you to fine tune your interview day presentation. Consider the interview an act and this exercise your rehearsal. It's one thing to have an idea in your head but it's a totally different thing to express it when under pressure.

After my uni in London years ago I worked as a temp/contractor for a long time(because the money was there and no immediate taxes). This meant I was doing 3-6months contracts and was interviewing regularly with some tough interviewers when my contracts ended or looking for new ones and in between. Being black and with an accent in an oyibo dominated industry meant i had to work hard to sell myself against the competition. This was what worked for me. If I can do it here then you can do it in Naija or wherever you are. Good luck.[/b]

Did u read my last note?
Or u just wanna claim ITK?
Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by 6fit(f): 9:18pm On Jun 22, 2015
LaurelP:

I observe u perform well in an interview if d job u hope to get is from yur area of job-experience and when u hav a job at hand it make u relax in d interview cos u wil feel if don't get d job u fall bak to d job at hand
Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by LaurelP(m): 9:23pm On Jun 22, 2015
6fit:

I observe u perform well in an interview if d job u hope to get is from yur area of job-experience and when u hav a job at hand it make u relax in d interview cos u wil feel if don't get d job u fall bak to d job at hand

True
Re: How To Build Confidence When Going For An Interview by Nobody: 9:24pm On Jun 22, 2015
LaurelP:

E dey my mind sha.
But u know some peeps here will be like "everything God". Some don't even believe in God.
So u didn't mention God's Name because of what people will say
Aaaaaahh!! God is watching ooo

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

#horriblebosses And #toxicworkplace ; My Little Experience / Federal University Of Technology Minna Vacancies / FCSC: It's High Time We Shoved This Charade And Move On!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.