Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,873 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

I Met Rivers In Comatose – Amaechi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Met Rivers In Comatose – Amaechi (787 Views)

Refineries Go Comatose Six Months After They Became Operational / Police On Duty In Rivers In Someone's Car / Amaechi Lands In Rivers In Style Following Wike's Election Verdict (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Met Rivers In Comatose – Amaechi by MisterNAIRALAND: 3:19pm On Jun 23, 2015
The Immediate Past Governor of Rivers State, Mr. Rotimi Amaechi, has said the state was in comatose when he assumed office more than eight years ago.

Amaechi, in Abuja on Tuesday, added that because his government was accountable to the people, he would not shy away from giving the account of his administration to the electorate.

The former governor was reacting to series of allegations made against his government by his successor, Mr. Nyesom Wike, at a press briefing in Abuja on Monday.

Amaechi, who spoke through his former Commissioner for Information, Mrs. Ibim Semenitari, said the sorry state of the state was made worse due to many years of militancy and criminality that, he said, forced government and business in the state to a standstill.

Semenitari said most of the issues being raised by Wike were also contained in the assignment the governor gave to the commission of inquiry he set up to look into how he ran the state.

The former commissioner said, “Amaechi inherited a state that was in comatose and in dire need of infrastructure. Years of militancy and criminality had forced government and business in Rivers State to a standstill.

“He therefore embarked on land reclamation in our riverine communities and the massive construction of roads, bridges and interchanges all over Rivers State.

“Realising there is a direct link between state of infrastructure and the growth rate of any economy, It is to the credit of the Amaechi administration that by the time he was leaving office, he had completed 90 per cent of the Phase 1A of the Rivers State Monorail, completed two major interchanges, two flyovers, 25 bridges, and five shore protection projects.

She said the Amaechi administration also completed 890 kilometres of the on-going 1,424 kilometres road projects across the state.

She added that there were over six land reclamation/shore protection projects at Andoni, Opobo, Buguma, Abalama, Olumbie/Owukiri Island, and Oba-Ama-Okrika with over 1,140,000km completed.

“Out of the roads completed, some of these were federal roads for which the Rivers State Government was owed N108billion. Mr. Wike as Minister of State for Education was among those who prevented former President Goodluck Jonathan from paying the Rivers State Government back these funds,” the former commissioner added.

Semenitari said that other states like Akwa Ibom and Abia received repayment for the federal roads they constructed.

On the debris being owed the Ministry of Works, she said when Amaechi was leaving office, the debts owed the contractors, which she said were for ongoing road projects, totalled N44,942,354,44.10.

Besides, she said that the last government was owing two banks N17.7bn – Agriculture loan from the Central Bank of Nigeria – N2 billion; Zenith Bank, N15.7 billion.

Semenitari denied the claim by Wike that she was contacted by security agents before her official car was forcefully taken away from her residence in Port Harcourt.

According to her, “I find it strange that Mr. Wike says that I was contacted by security agencies. It might have been necessary that he provides proof of such contact.

“I am also shocked that he conveniently failed to acknowledge that it was an eight year old car and that it was not factory proofed.

“He also failed to state that it was given to me after several threats to my life because of my job description and that this isn’t strange as he himself as chief of staff was aware that there are political office holders who are allotted official vehicles from government house as the need or circumstances may dictate.”

“Over and beyond all this, can Mr. Wike please confirm if, as commissioner, I am entitled to leave with the official cars used during my tenure and if indeed he, as chief of staff and later minister of state, did so.”

Semenitari said at no time did she claim that the Lexus Jeep forcefully taken from her residence belonged to her husband and that what belonged to him was a Range Rover jeep.

http://www.punchng.com/news/i-met-rivers-in-comatose-amaechi/

Re: I Met Rivers In Comatose – Amaechi by MisterNAIRALAND: 3:19pm On Jun 23, 2015
lol.. make wike see dis

Re: I Met Rivers In Comatose – Amaechi by mistabiola: 3:20pm On Jun 23, 2015
Hunhun Tomato ni cheesy grin
Re: I Met Rivers In Comatose – Amaechi by temitemi1(m): 3:21pm On Jun 23, 2015
And u left Rivers in comatose undecided undecided undecided
Re: I Met Rivers In Comatose – Amaechi by ammyluv2002(f): 3:22pm On Jun 23, 2015
On whose report should we believe?
Re: I Met Rivers In Comatose – Amaechi by kromoto: 3:24pm On Jun 23, 2015
And he left it buried cool
Re: I Met Rivers In Comatose – Amaechi by Ochiske(m): 3:25pm On Jun 23, 2015
temitemi1:

Re: I Met Rivers In Comatose – Amaechi by atlwireles: 3:26pm On Jun 23, 2015
You left it in comatose too. No wahala, Wike will take care of the problems.
Re: I Met Rivers In Comatose – Amaechi by MisterNAIRALAND: 3:27pm On Jun 23, 2015
atlwireles:
You left it in comatose too. No wahala, Wike will take care of the problems.
lmaooo wike wey wan leave river for tomatoes
Re: I Met Rivers In Comatose – Amaechi by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jun 23, 2015
And you left in comatose. Well done.
Re: I Met Rivers In Comatose – Amaechi by atlwireles: 3:29pm On Jun 23, 2015
MisterNAIRALAND:
lmaooo wike wey wan leave river for tomatoes

Nobi your tomatoes, no need to cry over what's not your wahala. angry
Re: I Met Rivers In Comatose – Amaechi by MisterNAIRALAND: 3:33pm On Jun 23, 2015
cc @lalasticlala seun
Re: I Met Rivers In Comatose – Amaechi by kendrick9(m): 3:41pm On Jun 23, 2015
Amaechi overreacting.. it wasn't bad tho apart from the issue of millitancy and cultism.... tbh i think ameachi tried in terms of infastructioral development and also in the area of cultism which was very rampant during odili's time
Re: I Met Rivers In Comatose – Amaechi by MisterNAIRALAND: 3:42pm On Jun 23, 2015
kendrick9:
Amaechi overreacting.. it wasn't bad tho apart from the issue of millitancy and cultism.... tbh i think ameachi tried in terms of infastructioral development and also in the area of cultism which was very rampant during odili's time
yes true
Re: I Met Rivers In Comatose – Amaechi by Ephemmm: 6:45pm On Jun 23, 2015
temitemi1:

And comatose continues as Wike started his administration with borrowing tongue tongue tongue tongue

(1) (Reply)

APC NEC Meeting: We Are On Course – Bukola Saraki / Lagos State Governor Ambode Commissions College In Ikoyi / Radio Biafra Not Endorsed By South-east Governors – Okorocha

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.