Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,296 members, 7,818,994 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (168) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (546144 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seedord247(m): 10:22pm On Dec 02, 2010
@4ril

I dey happy for you oooooooo.

who's next?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by james2020(m): 3:11am On Dec 03, 2010
@all, in my I-20 form, my skul admitted me but says i must first do d english as a second language for 9 months to be proficient in english before moving to my main course of study, shud i tell VO that i was admitted 2 study in english as second language and that d duration is 9 months or shud i say i was admitted 2 study nursing which is wat i applied for? And i hope it does not hv any prblm to issuance of visa. Pls advice me, tnx at all
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by benom(m): 5:16am On Dec 03, 2010
@james2020. U were admitted'to nursing. Its just that u did not meet the english language requirement hence the need for the english language courae. U don't raise such issues with the VO except when asked.
It does not disqualify u in any way as long as u know what u are doing. I got a conditional admission too but in my case i had to take 2 accounting courses but the VO did not even bother to ask me.
I strongly believe u missed it somewhere when u were applying. U would have applied to them to waive ur english language requirements. I did and mine was waived.
Its ok, Just don't talk about it except when u are asked.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by benom(m): 5:20am On Dec 03, 2010
@4ril, congratulations!!!
@all spring applicants, we will all get there.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by james2020(m): 5:25am On Dec 03, 2010
@Benom pls understand me, i mean that wat is written on my I-20 is that i was admitted fully to major in english as second language, if i'm asked by VO, WAT course are u going to study, wat will i say?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by james2020(m): 5:27am On Dec 03, 2010
@Benom pls understand me, i mean that wat is written on my I-20 is that i was admitted fully to major in english as second language, if i'm asked by VO, WAT course are u going to study, wat will i say?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by james2020(m): 5:30am On Dec 03, 2010
@benom, please lets chat on yahoo now, heres my id jameschuks89, let me have ur yahoo id
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by naggy: 11:29am On Dec 03, 2010
James2020

You mean your I-20 indicated you were admitted to major fully in EFL?? That is your major now and your talking about Nursing. Hmm, You are just waving a big red flag. 9 MONTHS and worst of it ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE. Did you apply to the school yourself or someone else did it for you?
Examine this questions critically:
Consular: what is your major and how does it benefit your country and suit your academic plans?

You'll have a battle to fight to be able to defend yourself against the consular so right now you'll need God's intervention and pray fervently. I'm not trying to instil fear in you but that's the gospel truth or maybe you aren't just stating your situation properly to people's understanding.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by james2020(m): 3:47pm On Dec 03, 2010
@naggy, wat do u think if i tell d VO that it is a compulsory course that is undertaken by all international students who are non native speakers of english language. That the course will prepare me to be proficient to understand american which will be the medium of administration of teaching before moving into the d degree major i applied for. This esl will help me in understanding of the various courses i will undertake in the degree major.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by naggy: 4:39pm On Dec 03, 2010
@ James2020

What do you mean by the course is compulsory for all international students. Aren't you a native speaker of English? Isn't English the official language and medium of instruction in Nigeria so what are you talking about? Your reason is just NOT tangible, do you think those consular are dumb to accept that the course is compulsory whereas your a Nigerian thus a native speaker? Put yourself in their shoes, how would you view such applicant? What you would've done from the onset was to apply for a TOEFL waiver. Most American institutions recognise Nigerian students and would always give a waiver if they apply, using myself as a typical example. Seriously, I don't think I have any suggestions on your case cos it's very unusual. Normally, if a school requires a student to take an English course before they start their major it may last for a semester which is acceptable but yours, 9 good months! It is as good as saying English is your major cos that's a full academic session.
Please house members assist him.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by femiap: 6:34pm On Dec 03, 2010
@james2020, pls do not go the embassy with an I-20 stating your course as ESL

Am talking from experience way back 2001 when ESL was stated on my I-20 as my course of study.

Went to the embassy five times and was denied though i told them i was admitted for computer science.

What you can do is to get in touch with the school and tell them you need an I-20 with your course of study stated there or else you wont be granted the visa.

@house, i applied for an expedited visa interview on 21st of november and my mail was replied two days ago informing me to come for my interview on

the 13th of december.

For those looking for date,send a mail to lagosstudentvisas@gov.state or abujastudentvisas@gov.state including the following information,

Name of school,expected date of resumption,MRV receipt number,passport number,sevis number,appoinment daate you booked on vfs website,course of study.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by james2020(m): 7:29pm On Dec 03, 2010
@femi and naggy, tnx, i just called my skuls intl students cordinator and he accepted sending me another I-20 form stating my major as nursing. I knw i will testify.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by layric: 11:10pm On Dec 03, 2010
@ house pls i need your advise ,
if someone be refuse a visa on the first interview and bought an appointment for second weeks,let just say like 6 days in between the date pls just want to ask it not going to be of any risk and if a question been raise that how did you get an early date after your first appointment what can the person say ?

advise house,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seedord247(m): 9:15am On Dec 04, 2010
layric:

@ house pls i need your advise ,
if someone be refuse a visa on the first interview and bought an appointment for second weeks,let just say like 6 days in between the date pls just want to ask it not going to be of any risk and if a question been raise that how did you get an early date after your first appointment what can the person say ?

advise house,

atleast this happen to Ojap, Bombly,chigazom, cappadona and so many others and they come out with close up. i will advice you to check their post and find answer to this.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seedord247(m): 11:39am On Dec 04, 2010
@4ril where you dey now? pls con share yur experience
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by deevick246(m): 1:24pm On Dec 04, 2010
seedord247:

@4ril where you dey now? pls con share yur experience

4ril,where at thouwhats keeping you from sharing your visa interview experienceAbi u wan make we revoke your visa niiiAbeg come and share it.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by layric: 1:40pm On Dec 04, 2010
@ seedord247,
thanks i know just want you guys to contribute and see whats up so any close date can also be used then ,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by chux4liv(m): 4:21pm On Dec 04, 2010
Breeezeeee In,

WAZ UP PPL, HOPE UNA THEY GET UNA VISA OOOO, see YA LATER

Breeezeee out
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by 4ril: 6:52pm On Dec 04, 2010
4ril,where at thouwhats keeping you from sharing your visa interview experienceAbi u wan make we revoke your visa niiiAbeg come and share it.

Abeg make una no revoke ma visa oooooo  cheesy cheesy cheesy.

I'm really very sorry I am coming up this late to share the story. The thing is that, I do not reside in Lagos, but I had my interview in Lagos. I wanted to go and use a cyber cafe to share my story, but my sister in Lagos kept discouraging me. They said police men always go into the cyber cafes in their area, to embarrase the users. So, I have no choice, than to wait till I get to my own home, where I can use the internet without any fear or worry. So, I just got home now, so I decide to share it now.

The interview.

After my finger printing, I sat down and noticed this VO (Male, Indian American) starring at me. He kept looking at me, as I move from one sit to the other. Then it was my turn, and he called me. My heart was pounding up till the time I get to him. As I approacehd him, I took a deep breath, and I became normal.

VO: (With a stern look) why are you going to the U.S
Me: to study
Vo: Have you been to the U.S before?
Me: No
VO: (stares at me with a cold face) are you saying you have not been to the U.S before?
Me: No, I haven't
VO: (he stares at the screen, probably comparing the information on the screen with my information on my passport). Are you insisting you have never travelled to the U.S before?
Me: I have never
VO: ok, where do you want to study?
Me: Bowie State University
VO: why did you choose the school?
Me: Because the school offers my concentration area, and the scope of my curriculum there, is deeper than what is being offered in others schools which I reviewed.
VO: He said "perfect", then nods his head for me to continue (and that was the beginning of my trouble)
Me: I also choose Bowie state University because studying at Bowie state university offers me more opportunity for business and career break through.
VO: (His face became so cold). So you wana work and do business in U.S?
Me: No sir! studying at Bowie state university will pen doors of business opportunities and hence career break through by the time I return to Nigeria.
VO: (Still with a stern look) How do you mean?
Me: While at Bowie State university, I would be required to take a special course, known as E-Business venture creation, and the course code is INSS 885.I would work with a group of other student, and under the supervision of a professor. I will be required to return to my own country to make my presentations to corporate bodies or angel investors; and I will get credits from the reports I generate. I believe if I do a very good presentation, its likely I get a business deal or job offer, even before the end of my program.
VO: (Before I ended the who story above, he was already having his head on his desk, probably not listening to me. He raised up his head and said "look I don't get anything from all you said"wink
Me: Ok, Im sorry sir. Please can I express myself again?
VO: (still with a stern look) never mind

Letter, an old man came from no where, and joined him in the cubicle, and he was listening to my interview.

VO: How did you know Bowie state university?
Me: Through a carreebean ambassador, who is also a university professor in washinton DC. ( I only leveraged on that. I actually met the ambassador, but we never talked about Bowie state. So, I quickly presented him with the card the ambassador gave me.)
VO: Did you apply to another school?
Me: yes I did
VO: which school?
Me: University of DC (But na lie. I didn't apply to any other school other than bowie state. But I guess he might deny me if I told him I applied to bowie alone)
VO: are you sure you applied to UDC? (he was typing something on the computer while asking that question)
Me: Yes sir
VO: So, what happened.
Me: I cant really say if they will end up admitting me or not. But from the school website, I understand that UDC starts sending admission documents from November 1. Since the postal system of my state is bad, I'm not surprised that my admission documents haven't got to me yet.
VO: But why did you apply to two schools that are very close to each other (another trouble again)
Me: Like I once told you, Bowie state and UDC were introduced to me by a carrebean ambassador, who is also a university professor. I took all his advice, without any reservation. I never knew bowie state and udc were so close. when I knew eventually, I never knew it matters till now. (but that one na another lie. I actually chose bowie state because its closer to the house of the lady I intend to marry. But I know the consequence of telling him that).
VO: its ok. (Then he asked another question, which I didn't understand. Rather than me asking him to come again, I just opened my mouth to
give an answer which had nothing to do with what he asked. Then, he was mad at me again. With a cold voice, he said "why don't you try to understand my question before answering. Man, you are disappointing me" That was when I knew he wanted to give me the visa, but just needed me to justify the reason for giving me).
Me: I'm really very sorry sir. Please can you ask the question again?
VO; What do you do?
Me: I work as an E-Marketing Executive at XXXX
VO: briefly describe your job functions there
Me: I manage our online and offline Marketing projects.
VO: Your response is not satisfactory
Me: Im sorry sir. Ok, I work with external contractors and other in-house staffs to develop our company website, the banner adverts and so on. I also get involved in marketing communications that drive traffic to my company websites. I manage our  search engine adverts, direct mail marketing, and social media marketing.
VO: perfect (then he smiles. The old man behind him also smiles).
VO: Where did you have your undergraduate degree and what is your major?
Me: Federal Polytechnic XXXXX, and major in Marketing
VO: Why are you going for Masters in management Information systems since you have your undergraduate major in marketing?
Me: Because I want to specialize in E-Business, and E-Business id directly related to my present job.
VO: It's ok. Who will sponsor you education?
Me: My uncle?
VO: Your Uncle? (with cold face again). why will your uncle spend this much on your education for four years?
Me: Its for only two years
VO: Even if its for a year. Why will he want to spend this much on you?
Me: My uncle has always been responsible for my education. He single handedly sponsor my undergraduate degree. and right away, he is willing, able and very determined to sponsor my graduate degree at bowie state.
VO: what does he do?
Me: He owns a wood processing industry
VO: What do you mean by that?
Me: He is into lumbering
VO: Lumbering
Me: embarassed embarassedYeah, he cuts tree, processes them and exports them to Europe
VO: But where are your parents? Because I still need you to convince me about why your uncle is sponsoring you.
Me: My parents are alive, but my dad who is the bread winner is very sick. He was forced to retire form the military due to his illness, and that was when my uncle stepped into my education (but na lie. My papa dey kampe dey shop pounded yam).
VO: What do you say your uncle does?
Me: He exports wood to Europe.
VO: Can I see any document to prove he can pay your fees?
Me: (I brought out his affidavit of support, the reference letter from his bank and his bank statement, and gave it to him)
VO: look I don't like to see all those documents. Just open the last page of the statements of account and let me see the closing balance)
Me: (I was very happy because I was thinking he would check the name of the account holder first. The sponsor doesn't share the same surname with me. So, since he asked me to open the closing balance for him, I was very nervous but very fast to open it for him. The balance was just 5 million).
VO: Checks the balance, uses his calculator, raises up his head and smiles.
VO: Perfect! (he gave me a paper and green ticket, and said "go and pick your visa here"wink

He was talking, but I didn't listen to him again. He told me where to pick my visa, but I didn't hear that. I rushed away from the place, and my documents splashed on the floor. people were laughing. Along the line, I lost the card of that ambassador and other docs too. But I don't really care again. To my surprise, I looked back, and I saw the other old man in the cubicle hugging the consular who interviewed me. They were both happy and smiling. Then the old man gave me thumbs up!

I was aware I can pick my visa after 2 days. So, I just went online to track it the next day, and it was ready even the next day.

And for those who think that playing visa lottery will affect your application. Well, I don't really think so.  I played the lottery, and I also got my student visa. Probably, the VO might have found my name on their data base. Because he kept asking if I have ever applied for a visa before, and i kept saying no. I am not saying you should lie if you have ever applied before. But I kept saying no, because I never applied for visa before. But only this last concluded visa lottery. I do not intend to bring any argument here again. But my point is this. I played the visa lottery, and I still got my student visa. And I can't even wait to adjust when the lottery result comes out. Because the God who did this, will surely complete what he has started in my life.

For those of you who were denied, please do not relent on your efforts. You can still do better. For those those who are preparing to go, my you come back with smiles. Cheers!!

And please, any info about the cheapest ticket to the US? I am actually going to Maryland. Moroccan Air, Quata, Emirates, etc (All one way trip). Where can I find them? Cheapest ticket abeg. Even if na standing  grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by james2020(m): 7:49pm On Dec 04, 2010
@4ril I am so happy. I share thesame case wit u hv lyk dat of d dv n uncle. I just took time 2 read wat u posted. I say congrats, pls can i chat wit u on yahoo: jameschuks89 is my yahoo id, let me hv urs. Once again congrats
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by deevick246(m): 8:06pm On Dec 04, 2010
@ 4ril,nice one there,even though its obvious it was very tasking for u,but u still got ur visa.Kudos to you jare.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by tochuksj(m): 10:47pm On Dec 04, 2010
4ril, i thank God 4 u OOO. I wish make my own interview easy pass ur own OOO. Abeg, God help us all. Who is next.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by justwonder: 11:56pm On Dec 04, 2010
4ril congrats,u truly were lucky.I fould 3 holes in your interview which should have easily disqualified you.
1)Lie that you applied to two schools.Do you know that if you lie on the spot you are likely to blink rapidly,these guys are trained to detect things and besides its not even neccessary.I applied to one school period.

2)My father is breadwinner and sick at the same time:dat one na old school na embarassed

3)Answering questions you didn't even understand.Lucky you!!!

Welcome to yankee,will check for the cheapest flight to jfk,i used emirates for a $1000 but i think there are cheaper ones btw algeria and morrocco.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by DisGuy: 3:16am On Dec 05, 2010
Congrats 4ril

You are really brave o! if i lie misrepresent the truth more than once i go dey piss body!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Ladyrsky46: 3:23am On Dec 05, 2010
Cor! That made me smile soooooo much. WOAH!!!

Dis Guy:

Congrats 4ril

You are really brave o! if i lie misrepresent the truth more than once i go dey piss body!
LOL. More than once? Even if it's one, I'll be done for. embarassed
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by benom(m): 4:02am On Dec 05, 2010
@4ril, that was just the favour of God because the Indian American guy na waya o! He even denies people more than the chineese woman there.
Anyway, Baba God has done it 4 u.
Royal air maroc is cheaper, i got mine for less than a thousand dolls thru a very close friend who happens to be a booking agent.
I can give u the number if u need it. Just beep up. YIM: benom55
Guys the problem right now is flight within the US. They are almost as expensive as flights from lagos to jfk. E be like say i go jump train o!
Abi na okada i go look 4!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nairaspace: 7:09am On Dec 05, 2010
@HOUSE!!! sorry I've not been on here lately!!! classes, test, exams, work, , but i will try to be updated!!! what have i missed? this thread sha!!! so so visa visa visa!!! this is the USA embassy itself!!!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seedord247(m): 2:29pm On Dec 05, 2010
I'm Indeed very happy d way you guys are coming here with great testimony and pray it will surely be going like this By God Grace.

@4ril

You are indeed the true son of your father despite the fact you lie on him that he's feeling fine, Your interview show the Favour God is following you.

@house

I will need you pray for a fellow member of Nairaland that lost his soul to some Black Inglorious B-astard in south Chicago.

this is the link to the news

www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/southsouthwest/ct-met-dolton-shooting-1201-20101130,0,525269.story
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Cuddlemii: 4:08pm On Dec 05, 2010
HELLO HOUSE,

I WANNA SELL A DATE OF 21ST OF DECEMBER 2010 ABUJA. WHEN YOU ARE READY, WE GET ONLINE AT THE SAME TIME THEN I CANCEL THE DATE. WHEN THE DATE IS AVAILABLE YOU BOOK

CONTACT ME ON cuddlemii@yahoo.co.uk. email or IM me.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by layric: 6:12pm On Dec 05, 2010
@ Cuddlemii
I told you to give me time nah and why broadcasting it on here again ,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by 4ril: 6:57pm On Dec 05, 2010
Yeah, I told lots of lies in the interview, but I was already prepared to tell those lies, so I told them boldly. I know those VOs were trained to detect lies. But they depend on your body expression to find out the lies. Also, its easier for them to find you out, if you didn't plan for the lies before. I am not encouraging you to lie. But if you must do that, you must have a good memory. I'm not sure of what those consulars are also looking for aside your answers. But they need your boldness too. I was so bold in all those lies, because I was 100% sure he could never find out. And of course, he believed all those lies.

At a point, he asked me to bring out my GMAT scores. Even though, I knew I didn't have it with me, I started checking my folder. Before I finished that, he asked another question and I answered that, and pretended as if I have forgotten about the GMAT. Good for me, he didn't come back to that again.

I do not want to take credit for getting the Visa. I think it was just my time. That is my belief. I strongly believe that consular wanted to give me, even without me saying anything. Do you all know I didn't even go with my acceptance letter? Remember I was here asking for what I can say if the consular asks for it? He asked for my my acceptance letter, and I told him some stories. He asked for any other document from my school. There was nothing to give him aside my I-20 and some documents I down load from the school website. I don't believe its all about your answers alone. I saw some people with excellent answers, and they end up being denied. I just don't know what to think of that Indian American.

Looking at it from a religious point of view, I believe God did everything. But from the way of men, I think my boldness, Appearance, and humility did everything. I didn't waste time in saying I'm sorry. Then I corrected myself immediately without allowing him to prompt me to go on.

My boldness plus humility made all those lies look like true. Then, I think my appearance did a lot. Because right from when I stepped into that embassy, he had been looking at me. Our eyes met more than 5 times before he called me for the interview, and I had smiling face all through. I assume he had made up his mind to give me the visa, all those times he was watching me. If not, he shouldn't have overlooked all my Bleep ups during the interview. Many did not even have the time to say sorry, before he denied them. But I said sorry several times, and he allowed me to correct myself.

@justwonder
1)Lie that you applied to two schools.Do you know that if you lie on the spot you are likely to blink rapidly,these guys are trained to detect things and besides its not even neccessary.I applied to one school period.

Just like I said before, I had planned for that lie before because I know they often ask about the numbers of schools. So, when telling that lie, I didn't blink at all. While some consulars don't care about the numbers of schools you applied to, some do. And I won't be able to tell how this indian-american would feel about my application to one school alone. I have read it here on nairaland about someone who said he was denied because he applied to one school alone. He said the consular told him that applying to one school didn't show his sign of seriousness. I have also read about people who told the truth that they applied to only one school, and they got the visa.

Right in my presence, the indian-american denied a guy that applied to just one school, and I didn't waste a time to tell that lie. I also did that boldly because I know he cant find out except my body expression gives me out.

On the whole, I give thanks to God. And I appreciate the efforts of everyone here on this thread.

For all those who gave me suggestions about flights, I thank you all! I shall check them up.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by james2020(m): 8:02pm On Dec 05, 2010
@4ril pls can i hv ur yahoo id, i hv smth 2 ask u. Mine is jameschuks89

(1) (2) (3) ... (165) (166) (167) (168) (169) (170) (171) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.