Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,164,657 members, 7,858,412 topics. Date: Wednesday, 12 June 2024 at 01:57 PM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (20) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (547741 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gongoaso1: 2:22pm On Sep 21, 2009
cheesy
A-town no go just yet. Your contributions are still needed.
Had to go through the view profile>show last post to view echemichael's and your comments
I mean its bleeping annoying
angry angry angry
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by smile4kenn(m): 2:27pm On Sep 21, 2009
There is a new USA immigration coming very soon. very soon it will be topping the news over here, I hope it will favor you guys who wanna apply for your visa in spring,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 3:40pm On Sep 21, 2009
gongo aso:

cheesy
A-town no go just yet. Your contributions are still needed.
Had to go through the view profile>show last post to view echemichael's and your comments
I mean its bleeping annoying
angry angry angry

Na today. I just dey shakara myself juh. I aint going nowhere YET.

smile4kenn:

There is a new USA immigration coming very soon. very soon it will be topping the news over here, I hope it will favor you guys who wanna apply for your visa in spring,

Care to explain more. Is this up on the uscis site. I haven't heard anything though. I will go and research. Lets hope they are going to increase OPT to 5 years for you guys. grin (na beans!!!)
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by smile4kenn(m): 4:14pm On Sep 21, 2009
A-town:

Care to explain more. Is this up on the uscis site. I haven't heard anything though. I will go and research. Lets hope they are going to increase OPT to 5 years for you guys. grin (na beans!!!)

I no understand u oo, I mean there will be a USA immigration reform very soon, They wanna strengthen their visas, borders and visa status of those presently in USA now.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gongoaso1: 4:29pm On Sep 21, 2009
smile4kenn:

I no understand u oo,  I mean there will be a USA immigration reform very soon,  They wanna strengthen their visas, borders and visa status of those presently in USA now.
as in where you get the gist from.

A-town
5years opt wont be bad  cool
even if na yam
cheesy
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 4:32pm On Sep 21, 2009
smile4kenn:

I no understand u oo,  I mean there will be a USA immigration reform very soon,  They wanna strengthen their visas, borders and visa status of those presently in USA now.

There is always some form of reform going on at any point in tiem. Most of em always die in congress. The only significant change that impacted students recently is the ability to increase your OPT by 17months. The catch of course is that you need an e-verified employer and you have to get a job within 90 days. As for as undergrads go, i dont see any good news coming. What i see is that the H1B may be restricted to students with advanced degrees henceforth. This is bound to happen due to the abuse of the H1B by Indian Desi companies. The only reason this yrs H1B was smooth was because of the recession. Past two yrs were decided via lottery. Good luck with the job search (undergrad)
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 4:35pm On Sep 21, 2009
gongo aso:

as in where you get the gist from.

A-town
5years opt wont be bad  cool
even if na yam
cheesy

You can say that 'na yam' again because it probably wont happen in our lifetime. At least you have the option of extending your one yr OPT by 17months. (if only you know how long it took for them to agree to this.)
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gongoaso1: 5:16pm On Sep 21, 2009
A-town:

There is always some form of reform going on at any point in tiem. Most of em always die in congress. The only significant change that impacted students recently is the ability to increase your OPT by 17months. The catch of course is that you need an e-verified employer and you have to get a job within 90 days. As for as undergrads go, i dont see any good news coming. What i see is that the H1B may be restricted to students with advanced degrees henceforth. This is bound to happen due to the abuse of the H1B by Indian Desi companies. The only reason this yrs H1B was smooth was because of the recession. Past two yrs were decided via lottery. Good luck with the job search (undergrad)  
A-town:

You can say that 'na yam' again because it probably wont happen in our lifetime. At least you have the option of extending your one yr OPT by 17months. (if only you know how long it took for them to agree to this.)

well na dem get the land  grin
I happen to be in  STEM where you get 2+ years opt.
abeg the 17months extension still apply to STEM people?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 5:26pm On Sep 21, 2009
gongo aso:

well na dem get the land  grin
I happen to be in  STEM where you get 2+ years opt.
abeg the 17months extension still apply to STEM people?

The 2yrs you have stated already includes the extension. The 17 month extension is only for STEM degrees. Do not be deceived. You do not have 2yrs OPT. They will initially approve your standard 12 month OPT. It is after this that you 'may' apply for a 17 month extension. I used the word may because you could get a company to file your H1B during you initial 12month OPT thereby rendering an extension unnecessary. The job market is harsh now though. Lets hope by the time you graduate, the market will be on the rise and you wont even need to use all of your OPT
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gongoaso1: 6:41pm On Sep 21, 2009
A-town:

The 2yrs you have stated already includes the extension. The 17 month extension is only for STEM degrees. Do not be deceived. You do not have 2yrs OPT. They will initially approve your standard 12 month OPT. It is after this that you 'may' apply for a 17 month extension. I used the word may because you could get a company to file your H1B during you initial 12month OPT thereby rendering an extension unnecessary. The job market is harsh now though. Lets hope by the time you graduate, the market will be on the rise and you wont even need to use all of your OPT 

thanks, am more enlightened.
well we would remain on the optimistic side
cool
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by leahmot: 3:34am On Sep 22, 2009
i need i friend from this forum.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Quod: 11:59am On Sep 22, 2009
@all,please realistically how much does an average undergraduate student spend per anum?and what is the earnings from work and study like for the same category of person.will appreciate your response(s).
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by ele2009: 12:46pm On Sep 22, 2009
correct you are right
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 1:13pm On Sep 22, 2009
Quod:

@all,please realistically how much does an average undergraduate student spend per anum?and what is the earnings from work and study like for the same category of person.will appreciate your response(s).

There is no straight answer to that. Depends on where you live. If you live in NYC or LA, your spending/expenses will hit the roof due to the high cost of living. Most of the east coast is on the high side as well. I hope you are not thinking what i am thinking embarassed If you intend to work and pay your fees, my guy you WILL EVENTUALLY DROP OUT OF SCHOOL. If you do not have some sort of financial backing or scholarship, my guy, you cant work and pay your fees ooo. Even the jobs are not guaranteed and have to be ON CAMPUS. Plus you can only get a maximum of 20hrs per week. This is the exact reason the embassy denies visas. A lot of people can not afford to study abroad. They think they can get a job and pay off their fees. WRONGGGGG. Unless of course you do the illegal thingy which will jeorpadize your life and your attendance in class will suffer. Forget it. By the way, most students make slightly above the minimum hourly wage.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by davidsoj: 1:16pm On Sep 22, 2009

There is no straight answer to that. Depends on where you live. If you live in NYC or LA, your spending/expenses will hit the roof due to the high cost of living. Most of the east coast is on the high side as well. I hope you are not thinking what i am thinking Embarrassed If you intend to work and pay your fees, my guy you WILL EVENTUALLY DROP OUT OF SCHOOL. If you do not have some sort of financial backing or scholarship, my guy, you cant work and pay your fees ooo. Even the jobs are not guaranteed and have to be ON CAMPUS. Plus you can only get a maximum of 20hrs per week. This is the exact reason the embassy denies visas. A lot of people can not afford to study abroad. They think they can get a job and pay off their fees. WRONGGGGG. Unless of course you do the illegal thingy which will jeorpadize your life and your attendance in class will suffer. Forget it. By the way, most students make slightly above the minimum hourly wage.

Tnx a-town. But do u think it is possible for someone 2 do other things and make money legally in usa? Like online marketing, and some other stuffs sha?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Quod: 1:22pm On Sep 22, 2009
@A-town,thanks for your response.He's got a 50%tuition reduction,the rest of the tuition can be taken care of.But can he depend solely on what he gets from working atleast 15hrs per week?.if possible,help with tentative figures for a state with a population of less than 1m.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 1:59pm On Sep 22, 2009
You know what. F u c k this site. Quod and Davidsoj, go to my profile and check last posts. You will see the reply i posted to your questions. The stupid moderator or spamblocker or owner has refused to show my post. If i dont see my post. I WILL NEVER POST HERE AGAIN. Sorry Gongo Aso but my threat is real this time. I mean what is the meaning of all this nonsense. Do you know how long it took me to type Quod's response. only for it to be blocked. If i dont see my post Im out of here
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 2:01pm On Sep 22, 2009
@ A-town chill out,

I read ur reply,u prolly have to take -out figures and the dollar signs from ur message so the spam blocker doesn't block ur comments.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Quod: 2:05pm On Sep 22, 2009
Thanks for your reply big bros.God will surely bless u for your kindness.Pls let your threat be another joke for we will miss people like u on this thread.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by LaNiger(m): 3:56pm On Sep 22, 2009
As someone who came to the U.S.A over a decade ago as a foreign student I second A-town's comments;  If you get a second job, you will do yourself more harm than good. 

If your parent's can afford to pay for your entire tuition, stay in school and focus on your studies.  All my classmates who graduated with G.P.A's higher than 3.75 were offered jobs upon graduation and were sponspored by company's for work permits and later Green Cards.

The cheapest way to school in the U.S.A is to go to a community college for two years and then transfer to a university or a four year college.  Find a relative you can stay with for at least two years and help them around the house, it is essential for your survival.  I went to a community college paid a total of $8,000 for the first two years and graduated at the top of the class and was offered a full scholarship to Baruch College (City University of New York), one of the top business schools here in NYC.

That is the best advice I can give to anyone out there, schooling in the U.S is not easy but as long as you have your priorities in order.  (No parties, clubbing or ladies or men) you should have no problems.  Once you graduate you can pursue these distractions with vigor  grin

Always remember it is your parent's money or your hard earned money, put it to good use.  Most of your classmates have financial support from the government, so remember that "All fingers are not equal."
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gongoaso1: 4:47pm On Sep 22, 2009
Just to add my 2-cents to A-town and LaNiger
You may check A-town's profile to view the posts. The calculations there are so much realistic or so I found out.
Please do not think or even consider you can pay your way through US schools through working on an F1 visa. Its plainly suicidal,  No matter how you starve yourself, your total income will never cover your tuition, talkless of living costs.
@Quod
50% tuition isnt enough even when you complete the rest. there are sundry charges the school won't openly tell you about like health insurance which is a must for international students. For me, I wasnt expecting it but thank God still though it caused a dent in my pay packet as it was deducted from source. Feeding no be moinmoin cept you have a vibrant naija community where you can source your usual naija foodstuffs and cook in peace save for the 'overzealous' smoke detectors cheesy
for those inquiring about costs, try to work with what the school say their cost is (tuition +cost of living). Might look inflated but na reality.

And has LaNiger pointed out,  the distractions abound  wink
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gongoaso1: 4:54pm On Sep 22, 2009
@A-town
Na lie, you must still post grin cheesy grin
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by davidsoj: 8:49pm On Sep 22, 2009
As someone who came to the U.S.A over a decade ago as a foreign student I second A-town's comments; If you get a second job, you will do yourself more harm than good.

If your parent's can afford to pay for your entire tuition, stay in school and focus on your studies. All my classmates who graduated with G.P.A's higher than 3.75 were offered jobs upon graduation and were sponspored by company's for work permits and later Green Cards.

The cheapest way to school in the U.S.A is to go to a community college for two years and then transfer to a university or a four year college. Find a relative you can stay with for at least two years and help them around the house, it is essential for your survival. I went to a community college paid a total of $8,000 for the first two years and graduated at the top of the class and was offered a full scholarship to Baruch College (City University of New York), one of the top business schools here in NYC.

That is the best advice I can give to anyone out there, schooling in the U.S is not easy but as long as you have your priorities in order. (No parties, clubbing or ladies or men) you should have no problems. Once you graduate you can pursue these distractions with vigor Grin

Always remember it is your parent's money or your hard earned money, put it to good use. Most of your classmates have financial support from the government, so remember that "All fingers are not equal."

It me suxes2005, I`m using my boy's id to post cos I cant afford to miss gonogo aso, femilangy, a-town, and other's post here that is why i am coming here again to read and write to you guys. Thanks for the infos. Pls a-town make sure dat was a joke and dont leave here cause we'll miss you a lot. Never mind dose fuckin moderators or spam blockers. Continue to post and i`m gonna check your last post to read about ya.

SHALOM
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by davidsoj: 8:51pm On Sep 22, 2009
@ La-Niger, please which 2-yr college did u attend?

SHALOM
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by LaNiger(m): 9:17pm On Sep 22, 2009
davidsoj:

@ La-Niger, please which 2-yr college did u attend?

SHALOM

I went to BMCC (Borough of Manhattan Community College) which is part of the City University of New York. http://www.bmcc.cuny.edu/admissions/costs.html

The CUNY network of schools are not expensive for foreign students. For those interested in a business degree Baruch College offers an affordable degree with a public university. http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/tuition/index.htm

Here is the fee schedule for foreign students at Baruch College. Based on my calculation the entire cost of any undergraduate degree is about N7.5M naira estimate. http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/tuition/#undergrad_non_degree

The only catch with CUNY is that not all schools have dorms, if you have a relative you can stay with that will significantly reduce your housing costs.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by davidsoj: 12:11am On Sep 23, 2009
I went to BMCC (Borough of Manhattan Community College) which is part of the City University of New York. http://www.bmcc.cuny.edu/admissions/costs.html

The CUNY network of schools are not expensive for foreign students. For those interested in a business degree Baruch College offers an affordable degree with a public university. http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/tuition/index.htm

Here is the fee schedule for foreign students at Baruch College. Based on my calculation the entire cost of any undergraduate degree is about N7.5M naira estimate. http://www.baruch.cuny.edu/tuition/#undergrad_non_degree

The only catch with CUNY is that not all schools have dorms, if you have a relative you can stay with that will significantly reduce your housing costs.

Tnx 4 d info. I`ve checked d site. Still thinking on which one to apply as I dnt wanna go there and start running all around. Did u pay ur fees from here? How did u raise money while in school for school fee?

SHALOM
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by LaNiger(m): 1:32am On Sep 23, 2009
I paid contacted them, they sent me the I-20. My parent's wired funds to an account here in NYC. I then applied for the student visa at the U.S embassy.

All they wanted to know was where I was going to stay, and that was it. I would suggest you contact the schools and let them know that you would like to apply for admission. I must warn you that Baruch College is quite competitive and very difficult to get into.

Good luck with the admission process. grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.