Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,739 members, 7,851,542 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 10:07 PM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (93) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (547517 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by bongabiz(m): 1:57am On Jul 11, 2010
Hello folks,
let me start by expressing my sincere appreciation to the contributors to this thread, (especially Kenzema) who have kept it as one of the most useful and mature threads on the nairaland forum. In my honest opinion this is the most useful source on obtaining the US student visa in Nigeria.

I obtained my US student visa last month in Lagos. My interview wasn't too eventful (it didn't seem so, as it was over in less than 5 minutes!), so I don't have much to write, but here's how it went.

Me: Good afternoon sir
Interviewer: Good afternoon sir. Why do you want to go to America?
Me: For graduate studies at Harvard University
Interviewer: Graduate studies at Harvard University?
Me: Yes
I: Did you apply to any other university?
M: Yes. Boston University.
I: Is there any particular reason why your schools are both in the Boston area?
M: Umm. Well, I like the area because it's a university area and ,  (I actually had no reason, and was just fumbling. And then I remembered something, ) There really isn't any strong reason. I also applied to Pittsburgh and was rejected by them, I could show you the letter.
I: Never mind. Do you have any relatives in the US?
M: Yes, a cousin. But we really aren't that close
(Another mistake. I shouldn't have mentioned the 2nd part until he asked any further question!)
I: What are you going to study in the United States?
M: Public Health?
I: Are you a doctor?
M: Yes
I: You're a doctor. Where do you work sir?
M: (I mention place)
I: How do you intend to pay
M: Internal university funding
I: Sorry?
I: As in like a scholarship?
M: Yes, a combination of a scholarship and a loan
I: Can  I see a letter
M: I show him the letters, he already had checked out the I-20
The interviewer then starts typing something into a computer for what seems like forever; I try and relieve my tension by taking a long look around the interview hall.
Finally,
I: Ok. One thing. When you are making your travel plans, make sure you travel within 30 days to the date on the I-20, but no later than it.
good luck in your plans sir.
M: Thank you sir. Goodbye

I wish all nairalanders success in their interviews!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OmoAlata(f): 8:34am On Jul 11, 2010
bongabiz:

I obtained my US student visa last month in Lagos.

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 11, 2010
Congratulations bongabiz!!! grin
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by wems002: 11:25pm On Jul 11, 2010
Congratulations guys, those of you going for your visa please don't be nervous just be calm, cant wait for the fall semester to start, thank you guys for all the help when i was in naija,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by oyewolejos(m): 12:56am On Jul 12, 2010
wems002:

Congratulations guys, those of you going for your visa please don't be nervous just be calm, cant wait for the fall semester to start, thank you guys for all the help when i was in naija,

Long time hommie.How u doing?How is MN?
Keep the green flag flying Bro,we gonna rebrand Nigeria together.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Dare14: 9:39am On Jul 12, 2010
pls house i have an interview by aug and i have been going through all the american posts on NL.i pray they give me the visa oo.thnks house
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nairaspace: 2:38pm On Jul 12, 2010
i beg those of u going for d interview soon in d name of God, know abt ur school, d state and even d map of USA. cos i was refused visa today, and will post questions, dis consulars self ehn!!!! and dnt forget d latitude too o,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Laughter1(m): 3:38pm On Jul 12, 2010
nairaspace:

i beg those of u going for d interview soon in d name of God, know abt your school, d state and even d map of USA. cos i was refused visa today, and will post questions, dis consulars self ehn!!!! and dnt forget d latitude too o,

@Naira Space
Sorry to hear you were denied VISA today sad . Let us help you by providing us with reasons on which you were denied and also for others to learn. Its not the end of the world naira space, please don't give up on your dream of US study, you just gotta work on your weaknesses and go better prepared next time and rememeber to thank God in every situation.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by djunit1(m): 3:39pm On Jul 12, 2010
@ Nairaspace, believe me they did not refuse you because you did not know about America, as a matter of fact they dont expect you to know too much about America, all you should know is a little about the school and its environment, they were always going to deny you so for them to be asking you all those question was just a way to disqualify you. My advice is go again. You still have time re apply and go for the interview again.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Laughter1(m): 3:58pm On Jul 12, 2010
bongabiz:

Hello folks,
let me start by expressing my sincere appreciation to the contributors to this thread, (especially Kenzema) who have kept it as one of the most useful and mature threads on the nairaland forum. In my honest opinion this is the most useful source on obtaining the US student visa in Nigeria.

I obtained my US student visa last month in Lagos. My interview wasn't too eventful (it didn't seem so, as it was over in less than 5 minutes!), so I don't have much to write, but here's how it went.

M: Umm. Well, I like the area because it's a university area and ,  (I actually had no reason, and was just fumbling. And then I remembered something, ) There really isn't any strong reason. I also applied to Pittsburgh and was rejected by them, I could show you the letter.
(Another mistake. I shouldn't have mentioned the 2nd part until he asked any further question!)
I: Can  I see a letter
The interviewer then starts typing something into a computer for what seems like forever; I try and relieve my tension by taking a long look around the interview hall.
Finally,
I: Ok. One thing. When you are making your travel plans, make sure you travel within 30 days to the date on the I-20, but no later than it.

@ bongabiz baba, Your VISA was guaranteed the moment you secured ur admission in Harvard man, Congrats all the same,  Harvard na baba oo.  , u must have had like perfect scores in GRE or GMATH baba, i envy you oo coz Harvard na baba
Just come out with something good, so you can join dimeji bankole in House of Reps, lol  grin
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nairaspace: 5:33pm On Jul 12, 2010
djunit1:

@ Nairaspace, believe me they did not refuse you because you did not know about America, as a matter of fact they dont expect you to know too much about America, all you should know is a little about the school and its environment, they were always going to deny you so for them to be asking you all those question was just a way to disqualify you. My advice is go again. You still have time re apply and go for the interview again.

thanks man! i am reapplying, i already paid for appointment and mrv fee today!!! so i want to book for another appointment,

@all
how can i get an emergency appointment? and wht will be the content of the message,
thank you!!!

This was how it went

Q: why are u going to the us?
A: study
Q: which school
A: i told him
Q: how many schools did you apply to?
Q: Why this school
A: i choose the institution cos of the availabilty of my course which will in turn boost my dream aspiration. their laboratories are well equiped and the proffesor-student realtionship is awesome. thereby creating room for easily learning
Q: where is it located?
A:i told him

Q: where is the State located on the US Map?
A: no idea!
Q: what courses are you going to take to achieve this degree?
A: stammered!

Bolded parts placed me off balance!!!
types for some seconds and , sorry i cant issue u a visa now,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by DASLEEKY: 8:44pm On Jul 12, 2010
nairaspace:

thanks man! i am reapplying, i already paid for appointment and mrv fee today!!! so i want to book for another appointment,

@all
how can i get an emergency appointment? and wht will be the content of the message,
thank you!!!

This was how it went

A: i choose the institution cos of the availabilty of my course which will in turn boost my dream aspiration. their laboratories are well equiped and the proffesor-student realtionship is awesome. thereby creating room for easily learning

Q: where is the State located on the US Map?

thanks Chief, this could help some of us yet to go? Quick one though, what state is ur sch in? ur major? , also r u going for grad or undergrad studies? was this lagos or abuja?

know u can do without all this at the mo' , but if u can pls answer these and more , bet some veterans can help here too,
@ God Pikin , Go see and conquer!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gongoaso1: 8:44pm On Jul 12, 2010
nairaspace:

@all
thank you!!!

This was how it went

A: i choose the institution cos of the availabilty of my course which will in turn boost my dream aspiration.  their laboratories are well equiped and the proffesor-student realtionship is awesome. thereby creating room for easily learning

Q: where is the State located on the  US Map?

Not to be disappointed, but methinks you should wait awhile before reapplying. Defer your admission till spring (January) and reapply then.
Key to interview is saying something, mumble something, just say something NEVER STAMMER!!!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by aroy1: 10:11pm On Jul 12, 2010
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by djunit1(m): 11:10pm On Jul 12, 2010
I need Description to Abuja embassy too because I would be going there for my Interview. I would be leaving on the 23. A detailed description would be greatly appreciated.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by netotse(m): 11:20pm On Jul 12, 2010
@djunit
use google maps. . .abuja is well laid out, that's what i use when i dont know the way somewhere in abuja
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by djunit1(m): 11:44pm On Jul 12, 2010
My Brother this is Naija. And I am not flying into Abuja and dont live in Abuja so every where is going to be Strange to me. I need you to call the names of Bus stops and the cabs I would take to get to the Embassy and if you have info on cheap hotels too please dont forget to drop that too
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by netotse(m): 12:07am On Jul 13, 2010
sorry cant help with the hotels and all. . .buses prolly wont take you near that part of abuja, the bus network isn't anywhere as extensive as what obtains in lagos but just wake up early and get a cab to the embassy. . .cabs are cheap in abuja.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nairaspace: 7:27am On Jul 13, 2010
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by nairaspace: 7:29am On Jul 13, 2010
djunit1:

My Brother this is Naija. And I am not flying into Abuja and dont live in Abuja so every where is going to be Strange to me. I need you to call the names of Bus stops and the cabs I would take to get to the Embassy and if you have info on cheap hotels too please dont forget to drop that too

Habina Hotel is quite cheap!! its located at Utako behind arab contractors, i once used it cos i know no one there, some other cheap hotels are there too.

DASLEEKY:

thanks Chief, this could help some of us yet to go? Quick one though, what state is your sch in? your major? , also r u going for grad or undergrad studies? was this lagos or abuja?

know u can do without all this at the mo' , but if u can pls answer these and more ,  bet some veterans can help here too,  
@ God Pikin ,  Go see and conquer!

Missouri, Computer science, Undergrad, Lagos.

and it was the mean guy among the 3 interviewers that rejected me for now

djunit1:

Should i look for appointment in lagos or ABJ? cos i was just refused in Lagos.

The Speck-using guy was the CO in charge! lol he didnt even issue anyone a visa, the only person he issued was a woman from the Lagos state secretariat.

this was the answer the guy was looking for

Missouri  is located in the Midwestern United States, bordered by Iowa, Illinois, Kentucky, Tennessee
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by mayorme(m): 2:34pm On Jul 13, 2010
Guys no let anyone fool u say dem get sure ways of getting u visa, my after my SAT, i got my I20 and took some documents go lagos embassy, d babe wey interview me na like 19-20 yrs, i no use up to 3 mins before she deny me ontop level wey i no know till date, but me no give up, 6 months later i chose abuja, dats d craziest experience for my life as i no know anywhere for there, i travelled by road, on the 31th of dec i still dey road, enuff accidents, many dead bodies but thank god dem gimme visa go yankee.Abuja is a very good place to have ur interview cos not too many people do go there cos of distance, they treat u well cos many sons n daughters of rich men dey go d embassy so dem no dey know who be who, but all na luck, ,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gongoaso1: 4:40pm On Jul 13, 2010
aroy1:

@ Gongo aso et al

How does one get to the US embassy in Abuja?If you are able to describe in the local Nigerian style, that would be great.

Wherever you are in Abuja metropolis, hail a cab and tell him you are going to the American embassy. A drop should be 200 bucks or there about.
As netose said, wake early and flag a cab. Remember, no bikes and buses don't ply that route.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by 4ril: 8:13pm On Jul 13, 2010
Is it advisable to speak with a US Consular officer outside the embassy?

A US consular officer just lodged into our hotel now. I checked her records, from her name I can see that she has interviewed some people I know before. I live in the hotel where I work, and her room is just next to mine. I have been restless since she came in. I have been struggling within myself whether to approach her about my travel plans of not. I do not know if she could find that offensive, and that is the reason for my restlessness. She is checking out tomorrow. I prefer not to talk to her at all, than talking to her and regretting it. House what do you advice? Make I go word am?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by mohaka(m): 9:58pm On Jul 13, 2010
guys ma interview is due on monday n tho i got a few worries here and there bt am determined all the more to get that visa.anyway here are the following documents am taking along to the interview
1.i-20 letter from ma school
2.ds 160 confirmation letter
3.appointment letter
4.sevis receipt
5.mrv fee receipt
6.toefl score sheet
7.academic records
8.my father's bank statement for the last 6 mnths
9.my dad's business licenses
10.title deed
11.passport
are the above documents enough or am still missin out on samtin hia and also is it wise if i tell tha consular that the main reason that i'll come back is because am tha only son and therefore tha sole heir of ma parents property.
any advice guyz
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by phuckNL: 12:48am On Jul 14, 2010
bongabiz:

Hello folks,

M: Umm. Well, I like the area because it's a university area and , (I actually had no reason, and was just fumbling. And then I remembered something, ) There really isn't any strong reason. I also applied to Pittsburgh and was rejected by them, I could show you the letter.
I: Can I see a letter
Finally,

Hey bonga, your user id sounds familiar. Did you attend ISI by any chance? I think you might be one of the seniors over there that i knew.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by DASLEEKY: 7:42am On Jul 14, 2010
@house, my homeboy, God pikin shud be getting his visa anytime this morning, please spare a word of prayer/wishes for him, Guess we cant wait for the good news!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by djunit1(m): 7:45am On Jul 14, 2010
Godpikin, God don ordain am say you go get your visa. All you got to do is just answer them because I know say God don tidy everything before them interview you self.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 9:33am On Jul 14, 2010
Hello House,my former institution refused to give me my transcript saying they can only send it to the embassy.Though,i have a copy of my WES evaluated,Gurus,will the embassy accept that?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by lamex22: 11:29am On Jul 14, 2010
once again,this is a very nice thread
thanks to the creator of this this thread
it has been a blessing to a lot of user ,most of whom do not post
i just finished reading from page 1 - 93
i wish you all the best
may you reach and exceed your dreams
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by akonamone(m): 12:47pm On Jul 14, 2010
Just wanna wish everyone going for interview this week and this month, success. May Gods favor be with you all. Amen! My school is in florida, but i intend to fly to boston and spend a couple of weeks with my relatives, i hope thats possible, im hearing my port of entry must be florida since thats where my school is, can someone, veterans in the house please help with an answer. Thanks!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jul 14, 2010
LET SOMEBODY SHOUT HALELUYAH!!!!!!!!!!!
GOD HAS GIVEN ME THE F1 VISA.

E JUST BE LIKE FILM FOR MY EYES. I'LL POST MY EXPERIENCE SHORTLY.

INDEED GOD IS FAITHFUL!!!!!!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by DASLEEKY: 1:20pm On Jul 14, 2010
God pikin:

LET SOMEBODY SHOUT HALELUYAH!!!!!!!!!!!
GOD HAS GIVEN ME THE F1 VISA.

E JUST BE LIKE FILM FOR MY EYES. I'LL POST MY EXPERIENCE SHORTLY.

INDEED GOD IS FAITHFUL!!!!!!

Dude, been waiting for tha news, Indeed God is faithful, congrats!

(1) (2) (3) ... (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) (95) (96) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.