Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,752 members, 7,862,458 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 05:16 PM

General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries - Travel (91) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries (547883 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 8 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 6 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) ... (317) (Go Down)

Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by oyewolejos(m): 4:36pm On Jul 01, 2010
Pholy:

@ oyewolejo's

thanks for the great job you have been doing here, you have really helped dudes man.

i intend applying to CSU for my msc, i have been to the college of business and economics webpage of the CSU and located the dept of finance, real estate and insurance which i am interested in. however, they dont seem to have a masters program, my question is, [b]1. would i need to do gmat to apply as i transfer student, 2. do you knw if they have a masters degree program for that course in that dept.
finally, i owuld appreciate if you could give me an email addy i can liase with, [/b]thank you.

California State Universities have about 24 campuses which is located in almost everywhere in Cali.I attend the California State Univerty at Northridge so if my school didn't have those courses which i doubt then u can check out other campuses.I think u should go and do your GMAT though most they might waive it for u but trust me u still gonna do some courses to remedy the GMAT which u will pay alot of money for.Its advisable u have ur GMAT.Application for Spring 2011 will start in August so u can still have time to do the GMAT.
For posterity sake i won't be able to exchange my email with u, for the benefit of others just ask your questions here and i will respond accordingly so others can gain from it since its an open forum lets throw it open.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 9:29pm On Jul 01, 2010
Hello House,I have just gone through most threads,i discovered that people said it is not good one applied to only one school.Though,i applied to Uni of Maryland,college park in 2009 and refused admission and applied to CSUB in 2010 and was admitted.Can i tel them i applied to UMC and was refused admission,If yes,can they ask for the reason why i was refused and why it took so long for me to apply to another school?Or what do u think they may ask?Please advise on what best to say.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 9:36pm On Jul 01, 2010
Hello House,I have just gone through most threads,i discovered that people said it is not good one applied to only one school.Though,i applied to Uni of Maryland,college park in 2009 and refused admission and applied to CSUB in 2010 and was admitted.Can i tel them i applied to UMC and was refused admission,If yes,can they ask for the reason why i was refused and why it took so long for me to apply to another school?Or what do u think they may ask?Please advise on what best to say.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 9:43pm On Jul 01, 2010
Good day house,i have finally booked an appointment for August,In my BIODATA,I indicated i work in my dad's company as the manager.What docs will i have to present to back this up and to let them know i will be coming ack.The fact is that i am even one of the directors in the compNY AS REGISTERD with the C.A.C.Someone please advise me.Can i also present my NECO Certificate instead of WAEC?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by mohaka(m): 10:01am On Jul 02, 2010
hello house i am scheduled to go for my visa interview 19th of july and i got a few worries wich hopefully the gurus n xperts in this thread might help me out with.1)i have only applied to one school wich is a college & i was worried that would contribute to my downfall.2)tha bank statement that am intendin to use has the exact amount of skul fees n tha last transaction was made as recently as last week.Is that a basis 4 me 2 b denied tha visa and finally.am goin 4 associate degree and i finished high skul last yr.will tha fact that i finished skul recently wit no work xperience watsoeva work against me.
i wud rily appreciate ur feedbaks guys
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by sparta1: 1:24pm On Jul 02, 2010
@mohaka,Associate degree is equivalent to National Diploma in Nigeria hope you know that.About your finance,if your tuition increases what will happen?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by masepat: 5:19pm On Jul 02, 2010
Hello house,
I learnt things are easier at the embassy if a parent is one's sponsor. Please I'll like to know what chances I have in getting the US visa, since I didn't get an assistantship and my uncle is sponsoring my masters program.

Are there people in the house who got Visas even though they used uncles as sponsors and are without any assistanships? Kindly let me know how you went about it.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by mohaka(m): 6:02pm On Jul 02, 2010
@ sparta even if its tha equivalent of national diploma thn does it merit a visa or u insinuatin it is an outryt denial.as 4 tha tuition fee am being sponsored by ma dad n he is willin 2 pay wateva cost.i wud rily appreciate any advice u guyz got especially wit regards 2 tha transaction dates in tha bank statement
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by djunit1(m): 11:37pm On Jul 02, 2010
My People, Even though I still have about a month till I go for interview I just want to know what I should have and not have. Do I need to take my account statement? My father is my sponsor and I dont have current account would the embassy be interested in my statement of account and would the bank even give me a statement since I am using a savings account?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by seadog406: 7:20am On Jul 03, 2010
djunit1:

My People, Even though I still have about a month till I go for interview I just want to know what I should have and not have. Do I need to take my account statement? My father is my sponsor and I dont have current account would the embassy be interested in my statement of account and would the bank even give me a statement since I am using a savings account?

If you have a job at the moment,i will advice you take your own statement along with your sponsor's statement,but if you arent working,go with you sponsor's statement alone,which shows it can cover your expenses for 1whole yr,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Nobody: 8:12am On Jul 03, 2010
House: I can now print my sevis receipt, all thanks to nethacker. Not forgeting freeman07 & odas. Interview is 14th. Na God favor I dey pray for.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 9:04am On Jul 03, 2010
Hello gurus in d house,pls help me out,my dad is my sponsor and he owns a company where i work. what docs do u advise to put for interview.Please house.urgent.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by freeman07(m): 6:47pm On Jul 03, 2010
@Godpikin,
Goodluck bro.
Best of luck
Work on your confidence
and PRAY, moreover you are Godpikin wink
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by jamebex(m): 2:37am On Jul 04, 2010
Hi all thanks for all your
contributions so far.I am a
college student in 2nd semester
of my 2nd year in biochemistry.I
will be going to the US for my
phd in biochemistry immidiatly
after my undergrad studies,I
have so far seen that research
experience and publication is
highly needed for gaining
admmission but in a country like
ours i do not think i will have
any of this after my degree.Pls
is there any route one can
take to have any these here in
Nigeria before graduating?
Secondly is the practicals and
the final year project
considered? Pls construtive idea
and advice is needed. NOTE am
in 200 level 2nd semester. pls pardon me if i asked in a wrong forum but i know there great mind here that can help me coz ve been in this thread for a while now.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Pholy(m): 10:45am On Jul 04, 2010
@oyewolejo
Thanks for d reply. Highly appreciated.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by femland200: 11:30am On Jul 04, 2010
my people,i have gain admission to west texas a&m university and i have appointment for next week and i have all my document,now please help me with the question and answers,i choose to study economics, please give me good answers i can use to answer the consular if i was asked this kind questions, why did you choose the school and why i choose the course, why i choose united state to study?,please help me with good answers and is it true sevis fee can be pay in seme eco bank, i need urgent reply
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by mohaka(m): 12:11pm On Jul 04, 2010
can some1 pliz tell me if i am able to secure a student visa with an associate degree since i finished high skul last year and my sponsor has the available funds who is my dad.pliz hit me up guyz
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by charlie193: 11:29pm On Jul 04, 2010
Hello Guys,

Please I need someone help in here. I have used almost 10hrs going through all the details in this thread, I must say that you guys have done wonderfully well in sharing  this within the thread. Yesterday I was totally confused, about everything! But today after going through all the pages in this thread, I can boldly say that I will get the Student Visa to USA  very soon. Mark my words VERY SOON!

Though it looks so impossible, with God on my side and "helps" from you guys, I am sure that I will get it!

My problems started yesterday when I opened my mail to see that one of the schools that I have applied for Msc in USA just sent me a mail that I have been given an admission, only have to send in my Sponsor's Financial statement, so the I-20 will be issue to me immediately. My problems ,  ,  I started asking questions alone, 

Is this not too late?

I will have to send the statement, then wait for I-20?

When will they send the I-20?

Will I have time to fix appointment?

What about my SEVIS can I get my receipt on time?

I have a low score in GRE, wont they use that as an excuse to deny VISA?

Well, My TOEFL Score is fine, but my sponsor,  ?

My Sponsor is my brother in-law ( different Lastname) ,  God help me!

In fact, I have another admission given to me in McGill, Canada for WINTER 2011,  Should I just forget USA?

But, I  prefer doing my Msc Engineering in  American University, and doing it in  University of Texas would be a great experience.

I applied to two schools in  USA, University of Texas and University of Houston, hoping that  I will get an high score of about 1400,  a month to my test I had an Okada accident, I was hospitalized at Igbobi, I was unable to read,  on my test day I was still in Igbobi, I beged the Doctor to allow me go for my exam in Ikeja, he advised me to forget it or tell them shift it for me, then I did not know that I can reschedule my GRE after paying some dollars, so I went,  with POP and other medical regalia, well, all is now past tense,  I score very low, 900!  I know immediately that my dreams of securing admission into U of H and U of T has just been dashed, just because of me,  entering an Okada in Lagos. After some weeks, am to write my TOEFL, I am well then, so I decided just to write not to waste money. I score 117! Very High score, a friend of mine said.  I  was not happy about it,  what is the need?

Letter, someone told me about going to Canada, since I had a good TOEFL SCORE and most schools there waived GRE, for students that  have good academic standing in there last two years in the University.

I checked and started research about schools in Canada,  I settle for McGill, I saw it as the best University in Canada. I applied and they  gave me admission for winter2011. And about to start the Visa application to Canada.

Now that I have forgotten about USA, yesterday, University of Texas, mailed me their admission decision, that I have been offered admission in their M.Engr for Fall2010. That I should send account statement of my sponsor immediately for them to send  my  I-20. I guess they finally made up there mind to give me admission because of my excellent first degree result, my TOEFL score,my Outstanding Statement of purpose, and all the three spectacular references, that have one written by the Vice Chancellor of my University and the remaining two by Dean of Engineering and my Head of Department respectively, all attesting to my excellent academic performance during my undergraduate studies in the university,  I now believe that is not all about GRE ( The first exam that made me cry) in getting admission into schools in USA.

Back to yesterday, it was as if I was getting MAD! Letter I decided to do some "goggling" immediately,  Then, I found this thread,

Please, help in given solution to any of all the above question that are now getting me m, d,
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by masepat: 6:46am On Jul 05, 2010
Hello house,
I learnt things are easier at the embassy if a parent is one's sponsor. Please I'll like to know what chances I have in getting the US visa, since I didn't get an assistantship and my uncle is sponsoring my masters program.

Are there people in the house who got Visas even though they used uncles as sponsors and are without any assistanships? Kindly let me know how you went about it.
[/color]

Someone should please respond to this.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gongoaso1: 7:58am On Jul 05, 2010
@charlie193

So, what exactly is the problem 

U don't seem to have one
'cept u are bent on creating one for yourself 
undecided

@masepat
Simple. No two ways of going about it.
Go for your interview and if asked, tell them your uncle is your sponsor.
smiley
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Laughter1(m): 9:31am On Jul 05, 2010
mohaka:

can some1 pliz tell me if i am able to secure a student visa with an associate degree since i finished high skul last year and my sponsor has the available funds who is my dad.pliz hit me up guyz

@ Mohaka, why not take TOEFL and SAT exam and apply for a proper honours degree in the US. To be honest with you, I don't think you stand a good chance of getting a student VISA to US for an ordinary associate degree. I like to be realistic with people. You would look dumb to the entry clearance officers (ECO) When you tell them you plan to come back after just an associate degree, My advise is you take SAT & TOEFL (they 're very easy from experience wink ) apply for a proper honours degree(bachelors) programme and you stand a good chance of getting the F-1 Visa. This is just an opinion (my 2cents cheesy ) , you can still try your luck if you want to. cool
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 10:02am On Jul 05, 2010
@ Laughter,do u know the required docs to take along to the embassy for interview if i say i am working in my dad's compay which i am even a shareholder in.Your Urgent response is required ps.Can i also present my NECO cert since my WAECis not good.What miminum balance do you think can be in his statement of acct.What questions do u think they may ask?
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by Laughter1(m): 10:19am On Jul 05, 2010
charlie193:

Hello Guys,

Please I need someone help in here. I have used almost 10hrs going through all the details in this thread, I must say that you guys have done wonderfully well in sharing  this within the thread. Yesterday I was totally confused, about everything! But today after going through all the pages in this thread, I can boldly say that I will get the Student Visa to USA  very soon. Mark my words VERY SOON!

Though it looks so impossible, with God on my side and "helps" from you guys, I am sure that I will get it!

My problems started yesterday when I opened my mail to see that one of the schools that I have applied for Msc in USA just sent me a mail that I have been given an admission, only have to send in my Sponsor's Financial statement, so the I-20 will be issue to me immediately. My problems ,  ,  I started asking questions alone,  

Is this not too late?

I will have to send the statement, then wait for I-20?

When will they send the I-20?

Will I have time to fix appointment?

What about my SEVIS can I get my receipt on time?

I have a low score in GRE, wont they use that as an excuse to deny VISA?

Well, My TOEFL Score is fine, but my sponsor,  ?

My Sponsor is my brother in-law ( different Lastname) ,  God help me!

In fact, I have another admission given to me in McGill, Canada for WINTER 2011,  Should I just forget USA?

But, I  prefer doing my Msc Engineering in  American University, and doing it in  University of Texas would be a great experience.

I applied to two schools in  USA, University of Texas and University of Houston, hoping that  I will get an high score of about 1400,  a month to my test I had an Okada accident, I was hospitalized at Igbobi, I was unable to read,  on my test day I was still in Igbobi, I beged the Doctor to allow me go for my exam in Ikeja, he advised me to forget it or tell them shift it for me, then I did not know that I can reschedule my GRE after paying some dollars, so I went,  with POP and other medical regalia, well, all is now past tense,  I score very low, 900!  I know immediately that my dreams of securing admission into U of H and U of T has just been dashed, just because of me,  entering an Okada in Lagos. After some weeks, am to write my TOEFL, I am well then, so I decided just to write not to waste money. I score 117! Very High score, a friend of mine said.  I  was not happy about it,  what is the need?

Letter, someone told me about going to Canada, since I had a good TOEFL SCORE and most schools there waived GRE, for students that  have good academic standing in there last two years in the University.

I checked and started research about schools in Canada,  I settle for McGill, I saw it as the best University in Canada. I applied and they  gave me admission for winter2011. And about to start the Visa application to Canada.

Now that I have forgotten about USA, yesterday, University of Texas, mailed me their admission decision, that I have been offered admission in their M.Engr for Fall2010. That I should send account statement of my sponsor immediately for them to send  my  I-20. I guess they finally made up there mind to give me admission because of my excellent first degree result, my TOEFL score,my Outstanding Statement of purpose, and all the three spectacular references, that have one written by the Vice Chancellor of my University and the remaining two by Dean of Engineering and my Head of Department respectively, all attesting to my excellent academic performance during my undergraduate studies in the university,  I now believe that is not all about GRE ( The first exam that made me cry) in getting admission into schools in USA.

Back to yesterday, it was as if I was getting MAD! Letter I decided to do some "goggling" immediately,  Then, I found this thread,

Please, help in given solution to any of all the above question that are now getting me m, d,

Admissions to US Universities is never solely on your GRE scores, GRE or GMAT is just one of the pre-requisites. So the fact that you scored low doesn't rule out your admission chances although you may not qualify for certain Fellowships/Assistanships etc with a low GRE. Infact I know many Universities in the US that do not require GRE for admission to postgraduate studies. So, low score in GRE is never the end of the road. In most cases your bachelors GPA is the most important (i.e 3.0 and Above)

Now to my 2cents  cheesy

You don't have any problem to be honest. na indecision they worry you, lol  grin . But I can definitely relate with your dilemma. You just need to make up your mind and make a decision. I believe both U of T and Mcgill are great Universities. Although if I were you, I would choose MCGill, I don't know much about U of Texas but McGill is the second best University in Canada aside Utoronto, and you definitely stand greater career prospects both in Canada and Nigeria with a degree from MCGill. It will boost your profile. However I would choose USA over Canada for a place to study anyday anytime, which means I could possibly decide to go U of T in the US, even though its not in the first 40 by ranking. Finance is also another important factor that should influence your choice. Do your mathematics well,  Can you afford both Unis? Maybe one is significantly cheaper than the other. Mcgill is more likely to be cheaper  smiley

Just make a decision. Nothing is ever too late. If  finally you decide U of T do your research well,  looks like you're in a tight corner with VISA processing at this time, but you can always defer your admission till next spring2011 or fall2011. If na Mcgill then its all good. So you see you have no Problem, he he,  problem shared is problem solved innit?, lol   cool

God bless
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by jamebex(m): 10:40am On Jul 05, 2010
Folks pls still xpecting reply
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by obeycity: 8:14pm On Jul 05, 2010
Hello Guys,
I want to thank you all for your various contributions.I have just been offered admission at State University of NY at Binghamton, I applied for Undergraduate studies in Computer Engineering. My Interview is scheduled for next week Friday.Please kindly advise me on Transcript,Academic results and statement of Account .
Also, I have 2 TOEFL scores,the first one is 71 and the second one is 108 . The TOEFL requirement for Binghamton Uni is 79 but yet I was admitted but enrolled in EOP(EDUCATIONAL OPPORTUNITY PROGRAM) by the School and it was stated in my I-20. I hope this won't affect my Visa Interview.

Regards
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by charlie193: 9:09pm On Jul 05, 2010
@laugher1

Thanks for you logical analysis about the two schools. Well, I think, just like you, I also prefer the USA. But do you think if I can be able to meet up with the FALL2010. Thanks

@Gongo aso

Please read between the line, I have my qeustion stated clearly. All the same, I like the way you have been helping out in here. God bless you!
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by mohaka(m): 12:54pm On Jul 06, 2010
Laughter1:

@ Mohaka, why not take TOEFL and SAT exam and apply for a proper honours degree in the US. To be honest with you, I don't think you stand a good chance of getting a student VISA to US for an ordinary associate degree. I like to be realistic with people. You would look dumb to the entry clearance officers (ECO) When you tell them you plan to come back after just an associate degree, My advise is you take SAT & TOEFL (they 're very easy from experience wink ) apply for a proper honours degree(bachelors) programme and you stand a good chance of getting the F-1 Visa. This is just an opinion (my 2cents cheesy ) , you can still try your luck if you want to. cool
@ laughter tha thing is i applied to this college as i was under the impression that it offered undergraduate degree and to be honest i didn't knw much abt tha difference till now.tha skul asked me 2 take toefl and i hav olredi sat for that test and fortunately got a good score of 92.they waived tha SAT and i got accepted.i realized wat i was into when i received tha i-20 and saw that i was to pursue an associate degree.since i didn think much of it i went ahead and booked tha appointment and u right i can only imagine how i will b lost for words when am asked of my plans after graduation.i will b forever grateful to anybody who can advice me as to how i will respond to that question
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by gongoaso1: 3:42pm On Jul 06, 2010
@Charlie

You see?
gongo aso:

@charlie193
So, what exactly is the problem 

Laughter1:

You don't have any problem to be honest. na indecision they worry you, lol  grin .

charlie193:

@laugher1

Thanks for you logical analysis about the two schools. Well, I think, just like you, I also prefer the USA. But do you think if I can be able to meet up with the FALL2010. Thanks

@Gongo aso

Please read between the line, I have my question stated clearly. All the same, I like the way you have been helping out in here. God bless you!

Ok.
Anyways, it is rather late for you to meet the August Resumption if you dont have your I-20 by now.
Mail UT and tell them you are deferring your admission till Spring i.e. Jan.
There will be more than enough time to do all the necessary before then.

As per US or Canada, take solace in this. . .MOST people's final academic destination is the US.
and BTW, methinks and knows  tongue getting the US visa is easier than Canadian  undecided
Ok, I stand to be corrected. . . though I doubt I will be corrected  tongue
G'luck!

cheesy
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by oyewolejos(m): 7:37pm On Jul 06, 2010
gongo aso:

@Charlie

You see?

Ok.
Anyways, it is rather late for you to meet the August Resumption if you dont have your I-20 by now.
Mail UT and tell them you are deferring your admission till Spring i.e. Jan.
There will be more than enough time to do all the necessary before then.

As per US or Canada, take solace in this. . .MOST people's final academic destination is the US.
and BTW, methinks and knows tongue getting the US visa is easier than Canadian undecided
Ok, I stand to be corrected. . . though I doubt I will be corrected tongue
G'luck!

cheesy

I guess as much too.
Canadian visa is just like rocket science grin
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by charlie193: 8:34pm On Jul 06, 2010
@Gongoso and Oyewale

Thanks for your r y, I will do that striaght away. That is, defering the UofT admission till Spring 2011. Thanks so much. I wish you guys dazzling time in USA.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by masepat: 8:25am On Jul 07, 2010
@Gongo aso

Please how do I get your ID? I need to chat with you on yahoo messenger.
Re: General U.S.A (student) Visa Enquiries by OjaP: 11:20am On Jul 07, 2010
All the gurus in the house,abeg pity me,all my questions are waiting for answers,seems nobody is ready to answer.Abeg,help me out,wt are we broda's for?

(1) (2) (3) ... (88) (89) (90) (91) (92) (93) (94) ... (317)

Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway / Travelling To Canada Part 4

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.