Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,963 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:13 AM

Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? (13654 Views)

Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews / Business Administration Or Economics: Which Is Better In The Nigerian Job Market / Finance And Economics, Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by ogie5(f): 1:39pm On Feb 27, 2009
hello nairalanders. i really need ur help. i am in the UK and planning to go to uni. i have applied already to study maths at uni, but I'm thinking of changing to a course that will make me get a very good job in Nigeria , as i am thinking of going back home after my studies. i would really appreciate any suggestions , by the way, what do you all think of economics as a course for Nigeria's job market. thanks a lot
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Feb 27, 2009
I think Economics sells more in Naija's labour market.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by Raymond4kc: 11:26am On Feb 28, 2009
poster
The question is this:Between these courses, tell urself the truth, which one do u have more love for. Go ahead and do that one. I promise u, u will not regret doing it.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by Mustay(m): 11:39pm On Mar 01, 2009
Both are.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by tkb417(m): 9:24am On Mar 02, 2009
both will be fine
all you need in the 9ja market is know how to play with numbers and be streetwise.

e don finish!!!
learn anything be it Civil, Architecture, arabic; anything
just come home, do professional exams ( the sector u prefer), and hit the streets running.

Just know the numbers thats all
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by ogie5(f): 9:36am On Mar 02, 2009
thanks a lot people, i really appreciate ur comments and suggestions, its got me thinking.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by Ibime(m): 6:05pm On Mar 09, 2009
Why not do Maths with Economics?
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by kiwi992(m): 10:42am On Mar 10, 2009
Hi,

Maths hands down, anytime, anywhere. 

Sod the Economics!  Look at the state of the global economy.  What have the Economists done to save us, except to theorise.  Oh yeah, try this, try that and see which macro-economic tool works.  Quantitative easing 'an all.  What a bloody joke! 

Maths - in UK and Nigeria for me.  More opportunities would be open to you with a degree in Maths.  Oh yeah, also add the PGCE to it once you've graduated 'cos you never know, you might not quite like it in Nigeria and would be wanting to go back to the UK where teachers in such disciplines are in high demand.  Turn on your TV and you'll see what I mean.

Ensure you make a 1 or 2.1

kiwi992.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by ogie5(f): 11:19am On Mar 12, 2009
Ibime:

Why not do Maths with Economics?
i applied for maths with economics and i've got my offers already, the thing is i heard maths is difficult at uni and i dont want to do a course that might reduce my chance of getting a 2:1 or better still a 1. cheers

kiwi992:

Hi,

Maths hands down, anytime, anywhere. 

Sod the Economics!  Look at the state of the global economy.  What have the Economists done to save us, except to theorise.  Oh yeah, try this, try that and see which macro-economic tool works.  Quantitative easing 'an all.  What a bloody joke! 
Maths - in UK and Nigeria for me.  More opportunities would be open to you with a degree in Maths.  Oh yeah, also add the PGCE to it once you've graduated 'cos you never know, you might not quite like it in Nigeria and would be wanting to go back to the UK where teachers in such disciplines are in high demand.  Turn on your TV and you'll see what I mean.

Ensure you make a 1 or 2.1

kiwi992.
true the economy in the uk at present is in recession, but i realised that nigeria's economy is still growing and the demand for economists might be high. i really want a 2:1 or 1 at uni and from what i've heard, maths is a lot of work at uni. also heard economics has to do with a lot of maths at uni especially Bsc degrees, so im thinking of combining it with finance or accounting just in case.[b][/b]
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by JinKazama(m): 3:28pm On Mar 12, 2009
Which dirty Maths!!!! Solving R squared + P P P, will never help you. Business is the way to go, study economics, it is well rounded, my father studied economics and worked for THe United Nations Economic Commisson for Africa (ECA). As for maths, you will just become a teacher and earn 15,000 a month, why do you think the teachers went on strike.

2 Likes

Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by Ibime(m): 3:50pm On Mar 12, 2009
Jin Kazama:

Which dirty Maths!!!! Solving R squared + P P P, will never help you. Business is the way to go, study economics, it is well rounded, my father studied economics and worked for THe United Nations Economic Commisson for Africa (ECA). As for maths, you will just become a teacher and earn 15,000 a month, why do you think the teachers went on strike.

Don't talk about what you don't know!  angry

ogie5:

i applied for maths with economics and i've got my offers already, the thing is i heard maths is difficult at uni and i dont want to do a course that might reduce my chance of getting a 2:1 or better still a 1. cheers

Guy, Maths is easier than Economics. If you want to get a 1st, go for Maths anytime. I also did Maths with Economics, and the Economics side of things nearly wrecked my chances of a 1st. With Maths, you either have a 'yes' or 'no' answer, hence it is easier to predict and forecast your grade. With Economics, you are doing mostly theory, so you can never predict your score and your grade is more subject to the lecturers feelings and political views.  As for the Nigerian job market, it doesn't matter which you study as long as you shine. What matters is your extracurricular learning. If you are interested in finance, go to http://www.informedtrades.com/f197/ and start learning the basics, otherwise check out their lectures on youtube. Just take your time and decide what you want. Alternatively, if you are interested in handling peoples savings, why not study Actuarial Science?
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by oluite(f): 3:52pm On Mar 12, 2009
economics
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by RichyBlacK(m): 3:54pm On Mar 12, 2009
In Nigeria: Do Economics, but keep up your interest in mathematics - keep solving problems, reading articles you can find, sit in for math lectures, remain close to your colleagues in the math department, etc.

In the UK: Ditto for Nigeria

In the US: Do mathematics. Except you aim to get a PhD, it's not worth it doing Economics. A BS in Math from a good school in the US will get you way more opportunities than a BS in Economics.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by elderberry: 3:57pm On Mar 12, 2009
Jin Kazama, easy now its not that bad. Ogie, my take is go for something you will love doing. I have always believe that your first degree is only a foundation upon which you build your career or future.

In terms of marketability, both are marketable anyday, anytime. As for me, I still wonder how come I didn,t study mathematics cos if you look well virtually everything in this universe rests on figures smiley

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by ayobase(m): 4:05pm On Mar 12, 2009
Just go for Maths/Econs course.
That should be the best for u!!
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by webprince(m): 4:07pm On Mar 12, 2009
Its always productive to be Good at what U do.
So think deeply, which one will U be good at, follow ur heart and U'll b fine
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by quadrillio(m): 4:39pm On Mar 12, 2009
Both cos are nice

go for the one u have passion for, money will come after
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by deoye05: 4:46pm On Mar 12, 2009
NO MAKE THEM PUSH YOU O. MATHS + ECONOMICS you wan kill your self? courses easy to choose but to do am na wahala o.
i studied Economics in school and it was very interesting. i dont know how interesting its going to be for you. but if you can play with figures, not maths now but manupulate figures as in equations and you are also good in theories, then you should be able to handle economics cool

1 Like

Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by deoye05: 5:02pm On Mar 12, 2009
NO MAKE THEM PUSH YOU O. MATHS + ECONOMICS you wan kill your self? courses easy to choose but to do am na wahala o.
i studied Economics in school and it was very interesting. i dont know how interesting its going to be for you. but if you can play with figures, not maths now but manupulate figures as in equations and you are also good in theories, then you should be able to handle economics cool
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by davidif: 5:56pm On Mar 12, 2009
@poster, do math. If you study math, you will be very very versatile, you can do anything in grad school be it engineering, economics or finance. You can go for PhD at the london school of economics or go study financial engineering (quantitative finance) at the university of california, berkeley.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by ohaechesi(m): 6:03pm On Mar 12, 2009
I think you've heard it all but then, i have penchant in economics
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by courage89(m): 8:26pm On Mar 12, 2009
Why not consider both.
If the opportunity of double major present itself. Why not major in Economics and Minor in maths
The swot analysis of both combination definitely justify a good future.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by loma(m): 8:39pm On Mar 12, 2009
Mathematics anyday!
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by ogie5(f): 9:02pm On Mar 12, 2009
wow wow wow smiley i dont even know where to start. i really appreciate ur efforts , thanks a lot for the comments. i really love maths and its the only subject i think i can do without getting bored easily, on the other hand, i heard maths at uni is a different ball game from that at A levels which is making me scared, i was told it was more abstract and one does not deal with as much numbers as A level maths. on the other hand, i'm not doing Economics at the moment but the unis say i dont need to do it before uni, im a little skeptical about that

deoye05:

lol, true talk

Ibime:

Don't talk about what you don't know!  angry

Guy, Maths is easier than Economics. If you want to get a 1st, go for Maths anytime. I also did Maths with Economics, and the Economics side of things nearly wrecked my chances of a 1st. With Maths, you either have a 'yes' or 'no' answer, hence it is easier to predict and forecast your grade. With Economics, you are doing mostly theory, so you can never predict your score and your grade is more subject to the lecturers feelings and political views.  As for the Nigerian job market, it doesn't matter which you study as long as you shine. What matters is your extracurricular learning. If you are interested in finance, go to http://www.informedtrades.com/f197/ and start learning the basics, otherwise check out their lectures on youtube. Just take your time and decide what you want. Alternatively, if you are interested in handling peoples savings, why not study Actuarial Science?
thanks, i will definitely check the site. how did u find the maths and which country did u study? is maths at uni very different from college maths as i heard?
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by Ibime(m): 9:57pm On Mar 12, 2009
ogie, I am in the UK with you.

I also never studied any economics before uni. I only decided to add a little economics to diversify my options

Just like you, the only subject I was comfortable with was Mathematics.

There is a breadth of possibilities with Maths, whether its finance, engineering, modelling, decision sciences or the computational side, so dont even worry about the future yet.

There is nothing to fear about university maths. In my second year, I was still doing matrices which I had been doing in SS1 Further Maths.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by FORTUNEBA: 12:04am On Mar 13, 2009
My there, to be very candid to you, neither full knowledge of Maths nor Economics can get a goo and well paid job in Naija, but by the special grace of GOD, so relax and be focused on the course you intend studying. , You have to count one before two, cherio
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by nich(m): 1:05am On Mar 13, 2009
additional qualification + further mental development. cool
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by Nobody: 3:30am On Mar 13, 2009
Well, as someone in Economics I will adivse you to carry on with your math degree and do a minor in Economics on the side. If you plan on doing a Masters or PhD in economics, make sure you pay extra attention in your Real Analysis, Measure/Probability Theory, Calculus/Optimization theory classes. These areas of mathematics are the cornerstones of economics analysis. Math and Economics do complement each other extremely well at the graduate level but you do need to take some economics courses in undergrad to get the "intuition" behind economic analysis.

Many schools do take people with Maths degrees into their economics programs but others require some undergraduate courses in Economics so make sure you think carefully. My program has only 4 people with undergraduate economics degrees in the first year PhD class. Others are from Maths, Applied Maths and Physics degrees - yes Physics.

They are both challenging courses but they complement each other well. So a major in Mathematics and a Minor in Economics will be useful, believe me you need the maths if you intend to go into graduate work in economics.

1 Like

Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by SegzyJoe(m): 8:55am On Mar 13, 2009
@poster
I disagree fundamentally with some of the above replies. First, studying for the job market will only earn you a meal ticket. Second, studying a course that you love and is compactible with your purpose in life make you a fulfilled person. You can study a course that will drive your passion to be what you want to become or a course that will get you a job but will take away your happiness. You need to look in-ward and see a course that is compactible with your passion and area of interest, it is then that you can find both the meal ticket and fulfillment in life.

By the way, there are some disciplines that are hot cake in the market today but will become liability in the nearest future. Technology changes the way we do things in this modern age, but when you study a course that is your area of interest, you will always find fulfillment in life.

Some people study some discipline for prestige reasons, a course that has nothing to do with their life and they end up being the second best in life. They may struggle but it will only make them second best. In view of this, if your area of interest in life is Geography or Sociology or whatever, please don't hesitate, follow your dreams. Studying for Nigeria market is particularly dangerous, because the evidence on ground did not support that theory again. Today, most bankers are Engineering based graduates, some banks sometimes conduct special recruitment for Management based graduates, because majority of the people that passed aptitude test are Engineering graduates, as such to have professionals grounded in the nitty gritty of the banking profession they recruits Econs, Acct, Finance graduate to supplement with special consideration.

The fact in Nigeria today is that there are graduates of Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, English and French languages in the banking industry today. By and large don't allow environment to affect you. look inward study a course you are confortable with, it is better to be a Nobel Laureate in Street Sweeping than to be a second best in Physics, the two can not stand on the same pedastal, coming first is first anywhere.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by sinaayo(f): 9:09am On Mar 13, 2009
I Studie math and statistics and i can work in any where in nigeria,presently am working in bank, so economics and maths,is good if u can go 4 eco/math,
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by oluwdashmi(f): 9:28am On Mar 13, 2009
@poster
I disagree fundamentally with some of the above replies. First, studying for the job market will only earn you a meal ticket. Second, studying a course that you love and is compactible with your purpose in life make you a fulfilled person. You can study a course that will drive your passion to be what you want to become or a course that will get you a job but will take away your happiness. You need to look in-ward and see a course that is compactible with your passion and area of interest, it is then that you can find both the meal ticket and fulfillment in life.

By the way, there are some disciplines that are hot cake in the market today but will become liability in the nearest future. Technology changes the way we do things in this modern age, but when you study a course that is your area of interest, you will always find fulfillment in life.

Some people study some discipline for prestige reasons, a course that has nothing to do with their life and they end up being the second best in life. They may struggle but it will only make them second best. In view of this, if your area of interest in life is Geography or Sociology or whatever, please don't hesitate, follow your dreams. Studying for Nigeria market is particularly dangerous, because the evidence on ground did not support that theory again. Today, most bankers are Engineering based graduates, some banks sometimes conduct special recruitment for Management based graduates, because majority of the people that passed aptitude test are Engineering graduates, as such to have professionals grounded in the nitty gritty of the banking profession they recruits Econs, Acct, Finance graduate to supplement with special consideration.

The fact in Nigeria today is that there are graduates of Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, English and French languages in the banking industry today. By and large don't allow environment to affect you. look inward study a course you are confortable with, it is better to be a Nobel Laureate in Street Sweeping than to be a second best in Physics, the two can not stand on the same pedastal, coming first is first anywhere.

@segzyjoe
Cool talk.
You were faster than I am.

This what some people don't know when it comes to career.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by Marymos: 9:37am On Mar 13, 2009
If you want to go by what's happening in Nigeria job market then i will advise you to go for any course.However,just like somebody has rightly said,go for the one you love and feel you can do better.Acquire the necessary knowledge,skills and make yourself extraordinary.After which the world will bow for u.Best of luck.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

MTN Ad-hoc Staff,should I Continue Or Quit?? / Funke Adekoya Wins 2019 African Legal Award / Advice On Career As An Architect In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.