Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,129 members, 7,818,385 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:07 PM

Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? (13670 Views)

Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews / Business Administration Or Economics: Which Is Better In The Nigerian Job Market / Finance And Economics, Which Is Better? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by Kx: 10:13am On Mar 13, 2009
My first response is to ur comment :"Uk is in recession while Nigeria economy is growing"
Did u reach such conclusion with media indices or with what?

Nigeria's got no working infrastucture to support growth unlike the UK yet nigeria economy is adjugded to be in growth shocked

Do ur maths and eco with passion all d same.U never knows,how many ppl earn a living with their first degree
certificate.Good thing is,with ur maths background,at the end of the day,u may c d need to zero in on IT or some other pro.
Good luck
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by babaogun(m): 12:05pm On Mar 13, 2009
@poster
In Nigerian Job Market, if you like study yoruba or religious studies or even botany, you can make it to the top and work in any organisation.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by ehie007(m): 3:04pm On Mar 13, 2009
in my own opinion Nigeria labour market as of now doesnt give a damm what u studied, except u study specific courses like engineering which oil companies need,

So far u get 2.1 or 1 in any course u will ge a job anywere, even if u study french or languages,

But mathematics is more broad than economics, a mathematician can do what an economist can do and even more, but not the other way around,

with maths u av so many options to diversify, if u want to go into I.T all u nid to do is to add some professional exams, u can work anywere with mathematics,

ecenomics is also a good course, but mathematics stands out an extra edge, and u get more respected for studying mathematics,
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by joxiri: 8:15pm On Mar 13, 2009
@ogie 5 I am in my final year at uni doing accounting and economics i think you should do what you love i have a mate who loved maths during a levels and he went on to do it at uni despite getting a D at a level maths but he has stuck to it and he is not doing bad.
And I must say economics is a very interesting subject but its also harder at uni just ensure you do it at a levels so it will make your life easier at uni especially in your 1st year which will be a ride in the park
cos at uni you are on your own no lecturers to explain to you like it was in a levels
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by bawomolo(m): 4:17am On Mar 14, 2009
you can do anything in grad school be it engineering, economics or finance

besides an Industrial engineering or Engineering Management degree, i doubt many colleges of engineering would allow Math Majors in for a grad degree. Physics yes but Maths is highly UNLIKELY.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by laplace(m): 12:53pm On Mar 14, 2009
I studied Mathematics, had a First Class Honours Degree (Magna Cum Laude) and work for a multinational company, where I get about N450K monthly. I've only worked for about a year. Mathematics is much broader in times of prospects than Economics. I'm surprised that Nigerian graduates still see graduates of Mathematics as teachers-to-be! Mathematics opens you up to detailed objective analysis of real life situations.

However, I'll advise you to take some courses as minor. It could get boring and challenging sometimes, especially from the second year when you begin Real and Complex Analysis, Measure Theory, Number Theory, Probability Theory and so on. For me, I took 7 courses in applied statistics and they've been immensely useful to me. A higher degree in finaces, economics and all sorts require a very deep understanding of undergraduate mathematics.

I wish you the best.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by slimes(m): 5:32pm On Mar 14, 2009
There is no speed limit in the pursuit of excellence. Just master your tracks and you will sail on to your highest. Do what you know best? No course is difficult, none is eas.y
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by ogie5(f): 9:19pm On Mar 14, 2009
laplace:

I studied Mathematics, had a First Class Honours Degree (Magna Cum Laude) whats magna cum laude?
and work for a multinational company, where I get about N450K monthly thats a lot, congrats. I've only worked for about a year. Mathematics is much broader in times of prospects than Economics. I'm surprised that Nigerian graduates still see graduates of Mathematics as teachers-to-be! Mathematics opens you up to detailed objective analysis of real life situations.

However, I'll advise you to take some courses as minor. It could get boring and challenging sometimes, especially from the second year when you begin Real and Complex Analysis, Measure Theory, Number Theory, Probability Theory and so on. i am so lost For me, I took 7 courses in applied statistics and they've been immensely useful to me. A higher degree in finaces, economics and all sorts require a very deep understanding of undergraduate mathematics.

I wish you the best. thanks a lot

which uni did u study at, r u working in nigeria atm or is the 450k a conversion to naira?
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by ogie5(f): 9:30pm On Mar 14, 2009
[b]
SegzyJoe:

@poster
I disagree fundamentally with some of the above replies. First, studying for the job market will only earn you a meal ticket. Second, studying a course that you love and is compactible with your purpose in life make you a fulfilled person. You can study a course that will drive your passion to be what you want to become or a course that will get you a job but will take away your happiness. You need to look in-ward and see a course that is compactible with your passion and area of interest, it is then that you can find both the meal ticket and fulfillment in life.

By the way, there are some disciplines that are hot cake in the market today but will become liability in the nearest future. Technology changes the way we do things in this modern age, but when you study a course that is your area of interest, you will always find fulfillment in life.

Some people study some discipline for prestige reasons, a course that has nothing to do with their life and they end up being the second best in life. They may struggle but it will only make them second best. In view of this, if your area of interest in life is Geography or Sociology or whatever, please don't hesitate, follow your dreams. Studying for Nigeria market is particularly dangerous, because the evidence on ground did not support that theory again. Today, most bankers are Engineering based graduates, some banks sometimes conduct special recruitment for Management based graduates, because majority of the people that passed aptitude test are Engineering graduates, as such to have professionals grounded in the nitty gritty of the banking profession they recruits Econs, Acct, Finance graduate to supplement with special consideration.

The fact in Nigeria today is that there are graduates of Yoruba, Hausa, Igbo, English and French languages in the banking industry today. By and large don't allow environment to affect you. look inward study a course you are confortable with, it is better to be a Nobel Laureate in Street Sweeping than to be a second best in Physics, the two can not stand on the same pedastal, coming first is first anywhere.

[/b] true segzyjoe

joxiri:

@ogie 5 I am in my final year at uni doing accounting and economics i think you should do what you love i have a mate who loved maths during a levels and he went on to do it at uni despite getting a D at a level maths but he has stuck to it and he is not doing bad.
And I must say economics is a very interesting subject but its also harder at uni just ensure you do it at a levels so it will make your life easier at uni especially in your 1st year which will be a ride in the park
cos at uni you are on your own no lecturers to explain to you like it was in a levels

last time i did economics was in nigeria, means i have a lot to study on my own b4 uni, thanks for letting me know that

Kx:

My first response is to ur comment :[b]"Uk is in recession while Nigeria economy is growing"
Did u reach such conclusion with media indices or with what?
[/b] i was told/found out nigeria's economy still has a long way to go, so demand for economists may be high
Nigeria's got no working infrastucture to support growth unlike the UK yet nigeria economy is adjugded to be in growth shocked

Do ur maths and eco with passion all d same.U never knows,how many ppl earn a living with their first degree
certificate.Good thing is,with ur maths background,at the end of the day,u may c d need to zero in on IT or some other pro.
Good luck
thanks a lot

ehie007:

with maths u av so many options to diversify, if u want to go into I.T all u nid to do is to add some professional exams, u can work anywere with mathematics,

thats true
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by ogie5(f): 9:31pm On Mar 14, 2009
@ ibime , wat year are u nw at uni and wat uni if i may ask? hw different is maths at uni from dat in A level?
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by server34(m): 1:47pm On Mar 15, 2009
Engineering.

1 Like

Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by cvibe: 4:04pm On Mar 15, 2009
@ poster,

If you're really bent on studying maths, i'll advise you study Financial mathematics.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by ishmael(m): 4:51pm On Mar 16, 2009
instead of Mathematics why not go for Statistics?
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by ishmael(m): 4:53pm On Mar 16, 2009
instead of Mathematics why not go for Statistics? u will be well grounded in econometrics and economic statisitics as a Statistician and will also be a mathematician to some extent.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by don2vs1: 8:47am On Mar 17, 2009
i studied maths in d university.its not easy but its not
as difficult as it sounds.if u can study it believe me u
have more oppurtunities.come 2 think of it if 50 people
gradute every yr in maths 5000 graduate in economics.
do d maths ur self .who has more chances?
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by shilling(f): 12:25pm On Mar 18, 2009
Gosh, I hope its Economics, since that's wat I'm studyin and I'm thinking of returnin to NG after that. Nice post BTW
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by ishmael(m): 6:01pm On Mar 19, 2009
instead of going for pure mathematics why not go for mathematics/Econs or Statistics/Econs. Econs as a course also is very good sha.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by phatjoe(m): 5:15pm On Mar 20, 2009
Pally i'll advice you study Economics. this is the only way you can survive and become relevant in the naijaland.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by laplace(m): 7:33am On Mar 21, 2009
@ogie
I studied Mathematics at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Nigeria. The salary is in Naira, and not a conversion. I don't work in a bank, man.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by 7eleven: 10:43pm On Mar 26, 2009
Dude, I think it depends on what u like. Yes, you may stand a better chance if you study econs in 9ja, but dont do
a job that will make u regret going to work every morning! Study your heart's desire so u can aspire ib ur field of talent.

http://buzz.6te.net

Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by lexdino: 11:46am On Mar 29, 2009
ECONOMICS , booooooooooo cool
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by Tayonaira1: 7:37pm On Mar 29, 2009
i will advice u to study maths, maths have a greater advantage than economics
also pls study d one u know best, i studied technical education and i am working in a bank
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by ogie5(f): 1:07pm On Mar 30, 2009
thanks a lot people, i reallt appreciate ur comments
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by ogie5(f): 1:08pm On Mar 30, 2009
laplace:

@ogie
I studied Mathematics at Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile Ife, Nigeria. The salary is in Naira, and not a conversion. I don't work in a bank, man.

u dont work in a bank? wow, thats a lot of money, where do u work, if u dont mind me asking?
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by Ubiero(f): 4:59pm On Mar 30, 2009
I say economics.This is because economics have mathematics embedded in it unlike mathematics that doesn't have economics in it.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by Ubiero(f): 5:05pm On Mar 30, 2009
And as you very well know,Nigeria needs more of economists than mathematicians.Or what do you think?
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by ogie5(f): 9:23pm On Mar 30, 2009
Ubiero:

And as you very well know,Nigeria needs more of economists than mathematicians.Or what do you think?

i agree, u have a point there thanks
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by ishmael(m): 7:33am On Apr 01, 2009
Nigeria needs all of them now.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by ayobase(m): 3:03pm On Apr 01, 2009
that is it!!
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by apostleb: 5:58am On Apr 05, 2009
certainly it's maths
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by zebra(m): 4:27pm On Apr 05, 2009
graduates of mathematical sciences (i.e. maths, statistics, computer science and operational research) is what the country needs together with economist and not mathematicians alone.
Re: Maths Or Economics: Which Is Better For Nigerian Job Market? by jayek(m): 9:25am On Jun 08, 2013
If you want a course that will get you a good job, both will do but economics will get you there faster becos its very lucrative! Any industry, company, govt parastatals, name them... Buh for a professional career go for what you love more cos the'll be a stage you wouldn't be able to pass - this requires inner creativity and this is associated with love for the course!!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Automated Machines, Robots Are Doing To Us – Nigerian Workers / Technician Electrocuted At The Lagos House Of Assembly / Which I.T. Career Is The Best, Most Lucrative And Most Profitable?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.