Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) (31521 Views)

Elderly Witch Returning From Meeting Stuck On Roof Of Building - Facebook User / 43 Signs You Are An Ogbanje / "80-Year-Old 'Witch' Trapped On Electric Pole On Her Way Back" - Online User (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by okeke00(m): 6:16pm On Jun 26, 2015
IceMan85:
I never knew people still believe in this sh**t until i met one lonely girl like that in Cross River....... Her story was anoying. Her mother accused of witchcrafting and left her wander the whole town just like that. We need to join hand to fight this mentality....
my nigerian brothers are becoming more foolish every day especially in the act to make money

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by writetopoker: 6:17pm On Jun 26, 2015
[quote author=exemen post=35183513][/quote] my friend go and sit down, son of an idiooot. Clueless fellow, blooody fooooool
Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by okeke00(m): 6:17pm On Jun 26, 2015
Lumdee:
@Op, While I condemn the brutish measures taking against the poor girl by her guardian, we must not shy or be blinded frm the factt that 'ogbanje' is real. What they should have done is to cast out the spirrit rather than killing the innocent poor girl. May God have mercy on the guardian and pastor involved.
it is real because your useless pastor said so?

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by boxypane(m): 6:23pm On Jun 26, 2015
Happy endings dey make sense.
I use to work with a man who in contribution with his wife subjected children they took from there village, with the promise to educate them, to hardship.
It is frequent with d eastern part. How I wish these parents would see wat these kids go through.

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by Maximus85(m): 6:23pm On Jun 26, 2015
obiZEAL:
Its even more disturbing that some so called educated folks still believe and propagate this insanity!
The latest and also one of the most surprising i've heard was a Phd holder explaining to us in class how it was impossible for the witches in his village to follow him to the UK where he went to study...can't remember the reason he gave cos I was consumed by my anger, but I overheard him saying something about the witches not being able to fly pass the atlantic ocean.
It will take decades before we can purge our self of this superstition.

Hmmm! I was teaching in a primary school and on a certain Monday there was an argument between three primary 4 girls. A teacher who is a Pastor intervened and I almost peed in my pants when he came to my class to gist me what caused the fight. He said two of the girls gave the other girl biscuit last Friday. On the next Monday, the two girls were asking the other girl why she didn't show up. Show up where? And these are girls I play with a lot. I didn't stay the next month in that school.
Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by exemen: 6:27pm On Jun 26, 2015
writetopoker:
my friend go and sit down, son of an idiooot. Clueless fellow, blooody fooooool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by writetopoker: 6:31pm On Jun 26, 2015
[quote author=exemen post=35183931][/quote] dirty asshole

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by Nobody: 6:39pm On Jun 26, 2015
Chai! This story is bringing back memories to me o.
I have had an experience like this.AAlthough in my own case, according to the useless men of GODS and fools, my ogbonge gives me power to destroy things angry angry angry angry.

From one pastor to another, from one prophet to another, from lagos to east to even yoruba land na so them dey carry me waka.UPON ALL THE PIGEONS, COCONUTS, CANDLES, WHITE WRAPPERS, FRUITS AND EVEN PIGS, NO BE MY HEAD STILL STUBBORN LIKE GOAT? shocked shocked shocked shocked

Na so one man god ask me how many demons dey my head cry cry cry cry.ewwwwwww! I was about 9 or 10 then.I innocently told him 24 demons..Na so the pastor pray, fire, twist my head (And my mama dey there o, dey cast and bind), fire fire.TThe kind spit wey this yeye prophet dey pour for my face, I just open one eye dey look him face..Him kon dey press my head make I fall, NA THAT TIME I VEX.NA BY FORCE TO FALL DOWN? I kon stretch my small legs like person wey won run, strong the leg for ground to gain better stamina for ground.Strong my head for the man hand dey push him ha d with my head.WE GO KNOW WHO GET THE DEMONS TODAY, WEDA NA HIM OR ME angry. Laye! Others dey fall, na so I stand gidigba! Ma mama don enter a other level dey fall for ground, as I see my mama for ground, I put more effort for my head to defeat the" deliverer".After the spitting a d shouting, him kon ask me how many demons remain?" Is 22 remain".NNA THERE PRAYER STOP O.THE MAN TIRE Na.E easy to cast out 24 demons? 2 fuccking dozens? !

SO WETIN WE GO DO THE 22 WEY REMAIN ?

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by petkoffDrake(m): 6:43pm On Jun 26, 2015
INTROVERT:
my phone is hanging angry
y won't it hang? they won't post topic, u'll b d 1st to comment! tongue
Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by Mannylex(m): 6:48pm On Jun 26, 2015
Good. I think the way they are treated is unfair, especially when they are innocent. But trust me, there are indeed witches, and if you or someone around you have been tormented by any of them(even a little kid) then you would have another ideology.
Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by INTROVERT(f): 6:50pm On Jun 26, 2015
petkoffDrake:

y won't it hang? they won't post topic, u'll b d 1st to comment! tongue

This made me laff..... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Thanks
Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by amuniiopz(m): 6:51pm On Jun 26, 2015
exemen:
MTCHEEEEW
fooool....must you comment.

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by petkoffDrake(m): 6:51pm On Jun 26, 2015
EggovinMma:
I have had an experience like this.AAlthough in my own case, according to the useless men of GODS and fools, my ogbonge gives me power to destroy things angry angry angry angry.

From one pastor to another, from one prophet to another, from lagos to east to even yoruba land na so them dey carry me waka.UPON ALL THE PIGEONS, COCONUTS, CANDLES, WHITE WRAPPERS, FRUITS AND EVEN PIGS, NO BE MY HEAD STILL STUBBORN LIKE GOAT? shocked shocked shocked shocked

Na so one man god ask me how many demons dey my head cry cry cry cry.ewwwwwww! I was about 9 or 10 then.I innocently told him 24 demons..Na so the pastor pray, fire, twist my head (And my mama dey there o, dey cast and bind), fire fire.TThe kind spit wey this yeye prophet dey pour for my face, I just open one eye dey look him face..Him kon dey press my head make I fall, NA THAT TIME I VEX.NA BY FORCE TO FALL DOWN? I kon stretch my small legs like person wey won run, strong the leg for ground to gain better stamina for ground.Strong my head for the man hand dey push him ha d with my head.WE GO KNOW WHO GET THE DEMONS TODAY, WEDA NA HIM OR ME angry. Laye! Others dey fall, na so I stand gidigba! Ma mama don enter a other level dey fall for ground, as I see my mama for ground, I put more effort for my head to defeat the" deliverer".After the spitting a d shouting, him kon ask me how many demons remain?" Is 22 remain".NNA THERE PRAYER STOP O.THE MAN TIRE Na.E easy to cast out 24 demons? 2 fuccking dozens? !

hahahah! sure u can cook as well as u cook this story? <d
Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by petkoffDrake(m): 6:53pm On Jun 26, 2015
INTROVERT:

This made me laff..... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin Thanks
u even quote me ni? I wish it hangs again
Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by kevoh(m): 7:02pm On Jun 26, 2015
EggovinMma:

Kikiki grin
Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by Nobody: 7:03pm On Jun 26, 2015
Guuurrrrr

2 Likes

Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by kevoh(m): 7:08pm On Jun 26, 2015
Mintayo:
Ogbanje do exist, so does witches and wizards, but getting to know is the difficult part! lipsrsealed

If you you claim the bolded phrase, therefore you have no empirical evidence in other words they do not exist! Case closed!

4 Likes

Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by frazak: 7:22pm On Jun 26, 2015
this old tradition should have been scrapped long ago,bt it is advisable to be careful of pple one relate with,bad feet exist,have heard cases of wealthy men turning poor after getting married to a bad feet woman only to regain his wealth after she left,have also witness cases like bad househelp dat ruins a whole family,life is mostly based on belief "another man's meat is another man's poison"the white man don't have dis kind of problem because their ancestors had no spiritual belief but this is Africa ,our ancestors spiritual belief have formed and haunted generations,this is why majority of Africans should have spiritual awareness,some don't need it,depends on their ancestors.violence is never the best way out,parents should take responsibility for their children no matter wat,the child is their offspring.
Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by herald9: 7:31pm On Jun 26, 2015
sped1oro:
The situation is more worrisome in the South-South especially in Akwa-Ibom where i did my youth service in 2005. They even have a parastatal office of WITCHCRAFT under Ministry of Women affairs. When we were serving in Akwa-ibom at that time, some people will just storm the school compound in a commando style purpotedly looking for either a student or teacher whom the oracle has accussed of witchcraft. I never seems to be dazed at such barbaric and archaic disposition and culture. Were it not for Mary Slessor, Calabar and Akwa-Ibom people wouldn't have had any set of Twins from that region...
Every custom and tradition in Nigeria has it's bad side.

Would you say they didn't practice human sacrifice in your own state?
Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by elemic(m): 7:34pm On Jun 26, 2015
johnydon22:
I saw her again today, she looked nice and happier. She was vibrant and now entertained a healthy frame.
The smile on her face when she threw her hands around my waist after i surprisingly bumped into her today as i walked through the overcrowded Ogbete market to buy a new training Jersey.

It seemed like the happiness she wore was passed to me as my face worked into a deep smile that held on in my heart through out the remainder of today that has compelled me to write this, to tell the people who can listen the plight of the African children maimed and accused of witchcraft, My personal encounter with one of them and a call to save young kids going through this same ordeal in our society.

It was sometime ago in February 2015, have being too bored after saying at home through out the day. I stepped out of the house to get fresh air and look around or at least watch the boys that play football on the street miniature field, wasn't a football fan- don't even play football seemed basketball had take my whole being.

There she was seated in a corner on a sack of packed gravel packed beside a wall.
Her face was strange and gloomy, dirty clothes that seemed oversized from every angle.
Haven't seen her before and that was very weird cus i know every single person in our little street right in the bustling sub-urb area in Enugu.

It was nearly 3pm and the afternoon sun wasn't taking it easy on us. I watched the ball for about an hour or two until the fights and constant quarrels over which one is a real goal and which is not which made me loose interest in the game and i made to go home, it was almost 5:00 according to my phone time; There she was still seated at that very corner.

"Emeka come" I called a little boy of about 10 who was chewing away at packet of cheese balls clutched in his hands.

"Eeeeh broda" He answered dreamily still working his teeth on his snacks.

"Who is that small girl there?" I asked him bending largely to even our heights and save him the stress of looking almost 75° to get to my face which towered at almost 6'9ft of my general height.

"Broda that's linda" He said casting a very questioning look at me, maybe surprised at my ignorance of the little figure at the corner
"she have been here since yesterday evening, they said she slept at that shed over there" He sang out in the normal central igbo dialect of Enugu city still busy with his chewing work.

"Can you go and call her for me" I asked

"Broda mba oooo (No ooo)" He retorted

"Why na" i asked in surprise now getting even more interested at the strange figure who from the emeka's behaviour seemed famous to the street folks.

"That linda is an ogbanje, they said she turned into a snake the other time during night vigil and confessed she was an ogbanje from the water, she even stole from the church, tufiakwa" He announced in am oddly shaky voice.

"Ok oya start going" I dismissed emeka who was more than happy to migrate immediately.

I walked up to linda whose face was tiled to the floor maybe looking at her feet or clothes.
I could easily guess her age around 11 or 12, an old hand braided hair, a slim figure and a very dark complexion.

"What are you doing here?" I asked her standing in front of her.

She looked up, her eyes were red and swollen and fading crisp trail of tears ran through her face.

"What are you doing here" I asked more calmly squatting in front of her.

"Nothing" She said taking her eyes off my face.

"Please tell me what the matter is, they told me you slept in that shed last night" I persisted.

"My Aunty was beating me, she wanted to add paper to my eyes and i ran away" She said

"What!!! what did you do?" I blurted out, mouth agape.

"Nothing" she said still not looking at me. "Linda tell me" i insisted she didn't seem surprised that i knew her name or at least she didn't show she was.

"They said i took money from the church donation box" She said

"And did you take the money?" I asked her

She went mute, fingers shakily clasped together caressing each other.

"Ok did you eat since yesterday" I intoned immediately that questioned popped into my head.

"I ate biscuit last night" her eyes sparkled like it was full and ready to pour down more tears.

I almost went dumb, i for one can't stay 12hours without eating but a little girl of this age have not eaten since yesterday almost 24hours.

I took her to my house, warmed the rice and stew i ate in the afternoon gave her a plate of rice and got one for myself too so she would feel comfortable eating it.

I didn't know her but i was intrigued by the story; Turning to a snake, being beaten and threatened to get paper smeared in her eyes.
I am an not superstitious, i don't believe all this spiritual witchry stories but for a moment i imagine what it would be like and how possible it was if she can turn into a snake right there in front of me.

She finished eating and thanked me still acting a bit shy.

"Did you steal that money from the church box?" I brought up the question again.

She took time to explain to me how the treatment she got from her aunty changed after a man of God said she was a witch, her aunty's son became ill and was taken to the hospital for weeks and the woman ran for prayers and was told her maid was the cause that she was a witch whose mission was to destroy the family.

She recounted how she was taken to the Prayer house were she was flogged mercilessly to confess what she was of which the cane marks on her hand said it all, and her aunty's attitude towards her changed drastically, she would use even a razor on her at the slightest provocation, canes were frequent and hunger treatment was a norm

She takes money from the church box sometimes when her aunty refuse to give her food for days until she was caught a few days back.
That her aunty said she talks in her sleep and the pastor said it was when she is on a meeting in her witch coven. That she never turned into a snake that the prayer house said she had a snake spirit and attack people in the spirit with snakes.

I was furious, my anger was because humans living in the this 21st century world could place their judgment over a fetish superstitious concept and subject a little child to such inhumane treatment.

I offered to take her back home to her house which according to her was on the next street behind ours, gave her #500 from the #1000 i had on me which she hid immediately and told her to always come along anytime she was hungry.

Her aunty flared up, i had to beg her not to beat her at least not when i was there, she kept ranting and telling me how the girl was a witch, how she nearly killed her son and all that, how she use to attack her with snakes in her sleep. if only she knew her story just made me feel like punching her right on the face.

She was allowed back into the house and the woman thanked me and i went home still worried.

My parents okayed the idea of her coming to eat at home anytime she felt like after i told them her story and she kept coming sometimes twice in a week till she stopped.

Two months later i heard her aunty had sent her home to her mother until today i got to see her again.

She said she now lived with another people who according to her treated her like a daughter, and were rich.
the genuine smile on her face didn't require anymore explanation and i can't still contain my joy to see she is now in good hands.

[b]Then this takes me to the plight of millions of African children facing this exact predicament just because of people allowing superstitious fear to drive their judgement. This kids are maimed, beaten, starved, mutilated, burnt by the society who had given them an unwarranted tag witch, ogbanje, mami-water, demon and so on... and imbedding this nonsensical superstition on our young children that they too at this tender believe and fear this nonsense is very disturbing to me and it makes me wonder if our generation will ever rid this society of this stupendous belief.

These children are none of these exceptionally stup!d concepts people tag them with, these children need love and acceptance by the society to fit in, they shouldn't be discriminated against or mutilated.

There is nothing wrong with them, they might appear different and act above societal expectations but everyone is not meant to be the same. their difference makes them unique and a wonderful asset to the society if people will understand that all they need is love and acceptance.

My personal experience with linda was just one out a million cases that happen all over Africa, and i hope people will step up and save these children when ever, where ever you find them. what the society are doing to this children is totally wrong and Africa need to change this very archaic superstitiously stupendous ideology.[/b]

This is my personal experience and i Johnydon22 wrote this down today so we might start the stance against this societal evil and stop it....

Johnydon22
Oh.... So touching...
Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by Menace2Society(m): 7:38pm On Jun 26, 2015
EggovinMma:

Talk true u belong
Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by elemic(m): 7:38pm On Jun 26, 2015
elemic:
Oh.... So touching...
Can I use this story?
Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by Unclerukus: 7:39pm On Jun 26, 2015
If you believe in God,angels and read the bible, there's no way you can tell me witches and other un earthly entities don't exist even the whites that are more civilized know ( Google wicca and their activities ). If you believe they don't exist you're wrong. What pains me is the manner in which the children are being put through,abuse,stigma and rejection from charlatan pastors, they need proper deliverance with good counselling in humane ways because some of them where initiated through deceit or in the womb. Trust me you haven't seen spiritual manifestations...A childhood friend of mine was like you till we both went to a deliverance crusade, all of sudden my Childhood friend who has never been to even four Nigerian States started speaking and cursing the man of God in flawless Spanish language, guy was speaking basque fluently till the demon in him was commanded to speak English. He was possessed by a promiscuity demon that made him flirt too much and commit all sorts of sexual impurities. They exist, be prayerful and be well informed as many people suffer spiritual attack and aren't aware till its too late.......but don't be a maniac that abuse children out of religious madness.

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by chinae(m): 7:41pm On Jun 26, 2015
OP, i love the way you put every scene in paint. start nursing the notion to write article or stories if you haven't.

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by IceMan85(m): 7:44pm On Jun 26, 2015
okeke00:
my nigerian brothers are becoming more foolish every day especially in the act to make money
Expecially in Cross river and Akwa ibom. The rate by which they maltreat kids in the name of witchraft is alarming! I think the way against it should start from there....

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by Orikinla(m): 7:45pm On Jun 26, 2015
But what of a case where a housemaid who was a cousin of the husband of a woman and she confessed that she was sent to poison the woman and was actually mixing potions in their food until she was caught in the kitchen?
Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by kolajamesjnr(m): 7:45pm On Jun 26, 2015
Seriously? In dis 21th century some people still believe in this poo

1 Like

Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by Esdb3: 7:48pm On Jun 26, 2015
Any one who listens to this johnydon22 is a joker and an unserious human. This fellow just wants to see himself as out of the pack sth like showing that he his wiser and smarter than every Nigerian. I can't quite grasp a proper description. He sees himself as standing out and lending a voice(in his mind though). Dude! Go and write about your many youths doing drug and embracing the american stupidity called civilization. Female teenagers are getting pregnant, some are joining cults all because they have failed to listen to the voice of those that are older than them, the call of those you are calling stupid because they have seen and believe in the spiritual irregularities of this world. Nigeria is degrading by this malignant disease tagged "being smart", "being wise", "out there", "civilised", "in vogue", "logical".

I forsee this john dude probably doing well but being seriously depressed. Because no matter how much you try to make atrocities like not believing God, slandering his worshippers, your mind will forever wage a war on itself because it has been by default programmed with morals and conscience. Don't worry, you will look back one day and regret all of your atheistic actions.

Worshipping God does not make you dumb, it shows how humble you are when you can respect what you cannot see.

Johnydon22 life is not all logic! The beatles, beyonce, kanye, rihanna and many more have not disputed that there is God. Yet they have every reason to. Think!!!
Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by Esdb3: 7:50pm On Jun 26, 2015
kolajamesjnr:
Seriously? In dis 21th century some people still believe in this poo

Wtf is in this 21st century?!!! The world is getting dumb and more stupid ehen?! What?!!!! Your logic?!! Mcthwww. Disgusting people!!
Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by johnydon22(m): 7:50pm On Jun 26, 2015
chinae:
OP, i love the way you put every scene in paint. start nursing the notion to write article or stories if you haven't.

Click my profile. . . I write stories for websites tho i don't post my stories on nairaland
Re: The Plight Of An Ogbanje (witch Children) by writetopoker: 7:52pm On Jun 26, 2015
[quote author=exemen post=35183931][/quote] but seriouslky eh, you realy dey useless

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Shepherd Bushiri Buys Wife G-Wagon For Her Birthday (Photos) / HIV+ Male Prostitute At T.B Joshua's Church: "I Had Sex With Several Men" / Dr. Paul And Becky Enenche Take Christmas Welfare Ministration To Benue (PIX)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.