Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,939 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

A Family's Incomplete Joy - A Missing Girl Found - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / A Family's Incomplete Joy - A Missing Girl Found (820 Views)

Young Girl Found Roaming On The Streets In Ikorodu Lagos. Do You Know Her? / 11-Year-Old Girl Found Wandering In Kaduna (Photo) / Joy Akabuike (Ada) Is Dead, See Photos Of Preparation For Her Funeral (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Family's Incomplete Joy - A Missing Girl Found by Emrys16(m): 8:06am On Jun 26, 2015
Rebecca Ejifoma writes on the mysterious disappearance of a teenager, her rescue four years after and some allegations of illegality by the police

For the family of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Oluebube-Jesus, it's been four years of pain, anguish and fear of the unknown as their teenage niece, Juliet Ihezie, who was living with them suddenly disappeared into thin air, or so it seemed.

Those four years were characterized by continuous police invitations, series of questioning and statements. As the years rolled by, so was the hope of her return dwindling.

This year however, the status quo changed. Ihezie was found alive. As at the time of her disappearance, Ihezie, who was 20-years, was living with her guardians in Lagos at Amukoko but was found four years later at Alakija, barely 30minutes drive away. However, contrary to expectation, the Oluebube- Jesus family is yet to get closure. Today, the family is battling with issues of alleged illegality between the police and the alleged perpetrators.

When THISDAY visited the family at Amukoko area, their joy knew no bounds having found their long lost niece – Juliet – who went missing in June 2011 while living with the Oluebubes in Lagos.

However, their grievance was that the alleged the kidnappers were walking freely without penalty, and that the police were involved in some illegalities as regarding the case.

Could it be true; kidnapped and rescued without ransom? How so? The Oluebubes narrated that it was a slow, sad ride, as neighbours and the community in Imo state ridiculed them.
Going down memory lane, they said Ihezie was brought to live with her mother’s sister (Mrs. Oluebube) in 2011 after the death of her parents.

Unfortunately, it was in that same year, she went missing. Being that she only understands and speaks the Igbo language fluently, this did not only make things worse but also kept her family restive. Accordingly, they reported the case at the nearest police station – Pako in Amukoko, but after countless search and investigation, she wasn't found.

A Traumatised Family

Mr. Oluebube, also a Pastor of Wisdom Christian Centre and founder of Good News Foundation School, who while thanking God for exonerating his family, recalled that his name and that of his family were rubbished in the last four years.
Recounting the days of sleepless nights he said,

“In 2011, my wife and I decided to help her late sister’s daughter – her niece. Juliet is a twin, but unfortunately, an orphan, too. "My wife’s elder sister took one to Abuja, where she resides. But even at 20, her twin sister was not going to school neither was Juliet. However, since we founded a school here, we decided to enroll her. She was put in primary six.

“On Sunday June 19, 2011, she disappeared. Everything she owned was missing – including her toothbrush. We combed everywhere. We even reported at the police station for missing persons.

"Until later that same day some guy told us he saw her among a some girls in cemetery road. We went there that evening alongside my wife and neighbour.

"Surprisingly, when they got there we learnt that one of my pupils’ parents lived there. We carried on and asked but the residents said they didn’t know anyone called Juliet.

"The next morning, the mother) of my pupil who lived there came to my compound to warn me. She said I should not try it again; hence, she withdrew her son from the school.

“At this time, we began to look for a land because it had affected my family. My wife had broken down emotionally. There was nothing I didn’t hear in my neighbourhood. Even members left the church. = "Parents withdrew their children from my school. My wife and I visited the village frequently to answer the many clustered queries.
“They called us all sorts of names and accused us falsely. But we waited patiently, and prayed ceaselessly.

"So, in 2015 (during the elections in April), we
received a call from the village that someone had seen Juliet at Alakija. We believed even when we had not seen. “We were happy. Since the man, who saw her (my wife’s relative) didn’t know this place he called the village. We reported to the DPO (name withheld) on May 11, who told a sergeant (name withheld) to go with us. The Investigative Police Officer and a lady went with us the next day. "Before we left here the IPO asked me to mobilise them with 10, 000 naira. I exclaimed because I was stunned. I thought your boss already gave you order. I said to him. He told me bluntly that they would not go anywhere except I give them that money. "When I decided to call the DPO, he then said I could bring whatever I had. So, I gave him 5000 naira. Hence, he said would not pay anything for the fare having given that amount.
"But something happened, and I began to suspect him. The IPO told me to tell his partner (the lady) he gave him 3,000 naira only should she ask. Quickly, I did a text to the DPO about it." "We got to Alakija with the help of our relative. We began to ask around for Juliet. But no one seemed to know her. It was when the guy gave a description of her that the neighbours knew who it was. Luckily, we found her inside the compound and took her.

"So when coming she told us that it was that woman (mama David, whose compound we came searching for her four years ago) that took her." On their way home, he told THISDAY that Juliet had told them that that night they came looking for her the women hid her under the bed. And the reason no one knew her was that her name was changed to Faith. Her state, too, was changed from Obo in Imo to Abakiliki in Anambra. With a different identity she was taken to Alakija that same night, where she was sold to one Mrs. Chinyere at Agboju, who owns a restaurant at Agboju market. He continued, "So she told us how mama David lured her with an attractive offer of making big money, and how she exchanged her for silver with the woman, one Mrs. Chinyere. "Funnily enough, Juliet became a property as the late Mrs. Chinyere’s sister inherited her since Chinyere had died. Hence, Juliet began to serve her and her husband, who lived in the restaurant. “She told us that she was maltreated and used as a slave. She even told us that sometimes they would lock the shop and leave her outside even until late at night. "When we found and brought her back home. We went to haunt mama David but was told everyone in the compound her moved out – they were evicted.

"On our way back the IPO yet again demanded for another 5, 000 naira for his partner. I rebuffed strongly. I called the DPO, who said he never instructed me to give any money. The officer fumed suddenly. "And, while at the station he told the driver to meet me for some money. I still refused. But he persisted that I must pay for the fare."
Expressing sadness as he reminisced about the attitude of the officer and the driver he said, “I had spent so much money for four years looking for this girl; I had nothing at that time again save the N1, 500. "As I stretched it to the driver he rejected it. He said he and I discussed N4, 000. What a lie! We had no such discussion. The IPO told me to look for the money and take to him the next day since he lived nearby – not too far from the station. Reluctantly, I accepted.

” According to him, the next morning he went to the driver’s house. But the driver rejected the money. Go and give the IPO. It is not mine. I was very shocked and upset, too. I went to the station to give the IPO, who brought one guy to collect it from me." “So on that Wednesday, my wife told me there is a woman that is very close to that mama David. I saw that woman is somewhere around my area - near boundary. I went, met and spoke with her. "After our greetings, I asked her of mama David. She lives at our backyard here. She even gave me the address, and I took her own phone number in case I didn’t see mama David. I traced the address alone to confirm if she lives there. Yes, she does live there, the neighbours said." Swiftly, Oluebube said he informed the police, who promised to go with him by 6a.m. the next day. He said he went alongside his wife since he didn’t know the woman facially.
He went on, “And, since after the disappearance of this girl, she and my wife always saw each other. She
even told my wife that her husband is late and that she travelled. When we got to her house, we met her husband. "The IPO told her to tell the whole neighbours her crime. She told everyone that she abducted the girl. After which, she was taken to the station.”
He claimed that when he went to the station later that afternoon, he saw the woman writing a cheque for the IPO, who was standing with her at the backyard of the station. He said, "On seeing this, I did a text to the DPO. From that day, the case changed. She was, henceforth, walking free around the station.
“I accused the IPO before the DPO that Thursday. The IPO then said he wanted to go to Alakija to get that man (the late Chinyere’s sister’s husband) Juliet lived with. And again, he demanded for N4, 000. I told him I had no money. Then the DPO said I should give him N2, 500. “At 8pm or thereabout, he called that he was back. I went there only to see that the motorcyclist was demanding for money. The Officer told me to pay the bike. Then he walked away. Just like that?

"When I said that I gave him money not less than two hours, and since I couldn’t find the DPO, I did a text to the IPO telling him that I don't have any money again but he replied with a threat." He went on to show the text message on his phone to THISDAY, which read, "You are a fool, you must come and pay the bike or else."

He continued, "After that day, the husband alongside the sister of mama David came to see me. They said the sister only wanted to help the girl. I paid no attention. Then they said the IPO already told them to pay some money and leave the case, but he wanted to see me first." Accordingly, he said he told the DPO he would go to court. "By Monday, I went to the DPO but didn't meet him. So, I went to backyard to tell the IPO but met him and the woman sitting comfortably. Oluebube said the IPO chased him away. By 5pm same day, he was called that the DPO wanted
to see him. He went on, "But then something fishy happened yet again. The DPO said the woman would be released on medical grounds. He said the woman was screaming. I refused to buy that story. I told him we would go to the doctor to confirm. The DPO said one could be released on medical ground.” "The IPO later said they would have kept the woman in the cell but that the following day (May 19) is Civil Day – in courts. I had to report to Access2 Justice, who promised to assign a lawyer to me. But then the IPO called that the DPO wanted to see me again, and I should come alongside the girl at 7:30am. "I took Juliet there as told. While we were talking the IPO hijacked Juliet - without telling me – they were on their way to the court with the perpetrators. I was shocked because he told me the DPO wanted to see me. Instantly, I called the DPO. He told me to come in to his office. "He told me he would call the officer back. Because I was disappointed, I told him we would transfer the case to another station. But he pleaded that he was capable of handling the case. So, we stayed in the office within three hours. After which he asked me to go home that he would call them back. "An hour later the IPO called again that the DPO said I should come that they were coming back – he said they didn’t go to court again. I told him I didn’t trust him. When we got to the station, the DPO told me
they had gone to court and had sought judgment; they had adjourned the case to June 22, 2015.
"How could they take a young girl to court to speak knowing well she does not understand the English language? I could not believe what had happened."

Abducted Girl Recounts Ordeal

When THISDAY spoke with Juliet about the case and her alleged four years of alleged slavery, reeling her tale in both the Igbo language and the Pidgin English she said, "Whenever I go to fetch water mama David will tell me that she will take me to where I will make
money; that staying with Pastor and my aunt will not help me. "Mama David showed me where she lived, but warned her not to tell pastor. She kept disturbing me. I told her that I didn’t know her; why are you telling me to leave my home? She said she would help me be a big girl.
“When Pastor came searching for me, the woman hid me beneath her bed. Immediately Pastor left she took me away from that place to far place, where I worked hard without money. I was called Faith. “When mama David brought me there I heard them discussing price. They quickly sent me outside.

But I saw the woman give mama David some money. After she took it, she disappeared. I asked of her but they told me she was gone I felt bad because she didn’t say goodbye. “I started working for the woman. Then I approached her on how much she is meant to pay me. She asked me, ‘which money’? Then she walked away. I did so much work there, sometimes without food. If I work for her, every day she would give me 50 or 100 naira. It is that 50 naira I would use as bus fare when going home (Alakija) from Agboju” “When first auntie died, the second auntie’s husband always beat me with wire or rod. So, one day I warned him that I was not a child, and I would report to my uncle (Pastor when he comes). I began to ask God for help. I couldn't stay with them.
"My prayers were answered and one day, I saw brother Chigozie (a relative) passing by. I was excited! I screamed, I jumped and I held him tight. He told me Pastor and everyone had been looking for me. Hence, I begged him to take me home that they were punishing me here. He promised to come back with Pastor that I should be patient. Truly, they came. I am very happy now.” The Police Reacts Meanwhile, when THISDAY contacted Pako, the DPO, CSP Agbana Abayomi, said, "The truth is that humans cannot be satisfied. And, no human is perfect. "This is the case of a missing person, not kidnap. The woman talked to her and she agreed. Then she carried her bag by herself. If that is called kidnap, I don’t know.” On the allegations leveled against his IPO, whom he didn’t permit THISDAY to see, Agbana said he asked the officer, but he denied it. Rather, he said the officer apologised to Oluebube. According to him, Mr. Oluebube had wanted to go to court from day one. “Now the case is in court. It will go on with or without his presence in the court. We didn’t need to wait for him to bring in a lawyer. It is not compulsory his lawyer be there on first appearance. He will be there on the next hearing," he assured. Above all, as much as the Oluebubes are preparing for a fabulous thanksgiving service in church, they are calling for justice having gone through the paths of emotional trauma and financial impoverishment.

Source: www.thisdaylive.com/articles/a-familys-incomplete-joy/213115/
Re: A Family's Incomplete Joy - A Missing Girl Found by demmy0325(m): 8:09am On Jun 26, 2015
Praise God... Thank God for your life..
Re: A Family's Incomplete Joy - A Missing Girl Found by delishpot: 8:16am On Jun 26, 2015
Shame. Anyhoe, we all know the real business of 90% of Naija police is not to protect citizens but to abuse and squeeze out as much # from Nigerians as possible.
But o, it seems the girl is not normal. I will call it kidnap in that case
Re: A Family's Incomplete Joy - A Missing Girl Found by igbsam(m): 9:42am On Jun 26, 2015
Naija police are a disgrace

(1) (Reply)

Toyota GX470 Dvd Player With Navigation System Full Option / Victimisation In My Office Because Of A Girl / How Often Do You Check Nairaland..what Has It Contributed To Your Ways Of Life?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.