Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,970 members, 7,835,270 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:53 AM

To Forgive Is To Approve? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / To Forgive Is To Approve? (782 Views)

Why You Need To Forgive And How To Do It / Nl Please Help Me Beg Dyt To Forgive Me. / How Do I Get Her To Forgive Me? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

To Forgive Is To Approve? by gombos: 1:59pm On Feb 28, 2009
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you forgive a person for something they did, does this mean that you approve of what they did?

Is the other person, if they are forgiven, to think that if they are forgiven something, then this is also approved?

If you think that to forgive is to approve, why do you think so, what are your arguments for thinking this way?

If you think that to forgive and to approve are two different things, why do you think so, what difference do you make between forgiveness and approval, what are your arguments for thinking this way?
Re: To Forgive Is To Approve? by tpia6: 3:23am On Jan 17, 2011
Re: To Forgive Is To Approve? by Souled: 3:18pm On Jan 18, 2011
Forgiveness imho is not approval, for instance if I forgive a friend for taking my money without asking (in one word stealing from me), this isnt approving the act of stealing from me, its not allowing him to pay the money back

To forgive according to the dico is to pardon, renounce resentment, its not to make the person think that hey, you have stolen from me, you can as well do it again, for someone to ask to be forgiven, its to say "look, im sorry for doing this, I wont be doing it again" mark the most imp word here is again-wont be doing it again.

Another instance If a wife/husband forgives a cheating spouse, does that mean approval of the act of adultry, im certain i can hear a resounding no.

So, if i offend some1 and Im sorry about it, go and ask for forgiveness, if im indeed sorry for the wrong i have done i wont do it again

(1) (Reply)

Chatlog: Tope5000 Vs Agaba123;d / Getting Married ! / What Is Wrong With Etisalat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.