Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,226 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:42 AM

FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal (1381 Views)

Kaduna, Chinese Firm Sign Pact For New Kaduna Refinery / More Troubles For Diezani: FG, UK Police Tighten Noose On Her / Buhari Turns Down Former Petroleum Minister Alison-madueke Offer To Refund $250m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by Nobody: 11:59am On Jun 27, 2015
The Federal Government on Friday in Abuja signed a
$250million joint venture/partnership agreement with a
United Kingdom-based company, Menasat Gulf Group
Plc., to provide Synthetic-Aperture Radar satellites in
the country.
When operational, the SAR satellite technology will be
the first in Nigeria, while images generated from it will
benefit, particularly, the oil and gas operators, farmers,
ocean monitoring, tracking of oil pipelines and also
assist the military.
The Director-General of the National Space Research
and Development Agency, Dr. Seidu Mohammed, while
signing the contract, said the SAR technology was
necessary for Nigeria because of the challenges the
agency have had in acquiring images in, mostly, the
southern part of the country.
“We have always had this constraint that even though
we are the national repository for satellite images, we
are not able to provide completely all the required
images in this country. In the light of that, we have
specially taken this opportunity to satisfy the Nigerian
market,” he said.
According to the NSRDA DG, Nigeria will contribute its
expertise as well as make a place available for the
firm that will set up a ground-saving station and
equipment to process and make the images available
for Nigerians. http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-uk-firm-sign-250m-satellite-deal/

Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by Imortal001: 12:08pm On Jun 27, 2015
Good one! we need to know where boko haram and crude oil thieves are coming from.
sai buhari!
Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by Freciprocal: 12:18pm On Jun 27, 2015
Ok
Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by Minet16(m): 12:22pm On Jun 27, 2015
b
Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by tobtap: 12:29pm On Jun 27, 2015
aw many satellite naija get sef...what is their functions cos we no see der impacts... yeye dey smell

1 Like

Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by richybanky(m): 1:03pm On Jun 27, 2015
Good news, Nigeria will be great again #Amen

Sai Buhari grin
Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by overhypedsteve(m): 1:48pm On Jun 27, 2015
So we didnt sign a deal to build a satelite but a deal for a uk firm to provide us with satelite images for military and civilian uses? Isnt that like telling someone you re ok with him spying on you. How much is 300million dollars that we re sacrificing national secrecy and integrity over. But we have senators that wld use that same amount to buy cars and jets? Which kind country be ds self?

2 Likes

Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by Nobody: 1:51pm On Jun 27, 2015
Imortal001:
Go one! we need to know where boko haram and crude oil thieves are coming from.
sai buhari!
Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by Mamaflex(f): 1:57pm On Jun 27, 2015
Wow! Wow!! Wow!!!

God bless Nigeria

God bless PMB
Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by ebamma(m): 2:03pm On Jun 27, 2015
What the hell is wrong with this President Buhari,

$250million that could have been better spent improving our power supply, Let's start getting our priorities straight abeg,
Satellites, Radars, are wants not needs,
We need power first before any other
Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by olawalepopoola: 2:05pm On Jun 27, 2015
This is a very good news to me as a remote sensing expert! SAR is a very important imagery need for development! Welcome idea!
Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by Spybradd: 2:11pm On Jun 27, 2015
Janjawd d.llardinho
Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by ApcSucks: 2:21pm On Jun 27, 2015
Freciprocal:
Ok

I thought the treasury is empty

Apc and double standards sha
Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by Nobody: 2:23pm On Jun 27, 2015
Good. Gej would have done that 4 $1 billion
Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jun 27, 2015
security is a top priority of this adminstration. After from pipeline and other security, It wil help in the security of very large farming settlements. Trust this government to invest in large farms nationwide. Such farms are obtainable in the U.S., Canada and Asia countries

ebamma:

$250million that could have been better spent improving our power supply, Let's start getting our priorities straight abeg,
Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by Nobody: 2:36pm On Jun 27, 2015
Who do you expect to provide the satellites? Thank God it is not America.

overhypedsteve:
So we didnt sign a deal to build a satelite but a deal for a uk firm to provide us with satelite images for military and civilian uses? Isnt that like telling someone you re ok with him spying on you. How much is 300million dollars that we re sacrificing national secrecy and integrity over. But we have senators that wld use that same amount to buy cars and jets? Which kind country be ds self?
Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by Imortal001: 2:44pm On Jun 27, 2015
ebamma:

Then goto maiduguri to see if you can enjoy light.
Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by Nobody: 3:44pm On Jun 27, 2015
Nawa oooo. 250 000000.
Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by bonardi84: 3:40pm On Jul 02, 2015
IbnSultaan:
The Federal Government on Friday in Abuja signed a
$250million joint venture/partnership agreement with a
United Kingdom-based company, Menasat Gulf Group
Plc., to provide Synthetic-Aperture Radar satellites in
the country.
When operational, the SAR satellite technology will be
the first in Nigeria, while images generated from it will
benefit, particularly, the oil and gas operators, farmers,
ocean monitoring, tracking of oil pipelines and also
assist the military.
The Director-General of the National Space Research
and Development Agency, Dr. Seidu Mohammed, while
signing the contract, said the SAR technology was
necessary for Nigeria because of the challenges the
agency have had in acquiring images in, mostly, the
southern part of the country.
“We have always had this constraint that even though
we are the national repository for satellite images, we
are not able to provide completely all the required
images in this country. In the light of that, we have
specially taken this opportunity to satisfy the Nigerian
market,” he said.
According to the NSRDA DG, Nigeria will contribute its
expertise as well as make a place available for the
firm that will set up a ground-saving station and
equipment to process and make the images available
for Nigerians. http://www.punchng.com/news/fg-uk-firm-sign-250m-satellite-deal/
Guys, breaking news Nigeria are here www.naij.com
Interested in politics, the situation in the country, interested in crime, then welcome.
Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by jaybee3(m): 3:59pm On Jul 02, 2015
overhypedsteve:

Did you read it upside down or you don't understand what a satelite is?

They are to provide Synthetic-Aperture Radar satellites in the country meaning the receiver (Antenna) will be in Nigeria.

So in communication, you have a transmitter and a receiver. The transmitter is probably in outer space and the receiver is the Antenna
Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by overhypedsteve(m): 4:52pm On Jul 02, 2015
jaybee3:

Did you read it upside down or you don't understand what a satelite is?

They are to provide Synthetic-Aperture Radar satellites in the country meaning the receiver (Antenna) will be in Nigeria.

So in communication, you have a transmitter and a receiver. The transmitter is probably in outer space and the receiver is the Antenna
oh. After 3 weeks of my post you ve finally acquired the intellectual competence to challenge it?
Providing SAR technology to develope satellites for a country is one thing signing an agreement to provide SAR enabled satelite technology is another thing.
Why?
Because in the first scenario the government is in control of the use of such technology while in the second case, to the extent of the jurisdictional boundaries agreed upon, the private company in charge of those satellites being in business for profit are allowed to sell satellite images to third party buyers who must not be affiliated with the federal government of Nigeria or any of its ministries. This agreement is the case of allowing a private outfit to capture and provide GEOINT( Geographical intelligence) for use by private outfits without any laid down law( do not tell me we have a law that provides for the exigencies)to guide such transactions. Or to ensure that in the long run, this do not expose the nation to a national security threat.
I believe with the aid of a dictionary and wikipedia, you will be able to understand (now) the reason for my first comment. Thank you.
Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by jaybee3(m): 4:58pm On Jul 02, 2015
overhypedsteve:
oh. After 3 weeks of my post you ve finally acquired the intellectual competence to challenge it?
Providing SAR technology to develope satellites for a country is one thing signing an agreement to provide SAR enabled satelite technology is another thing.
Why?
Because in the first scenario the government is in control of the use of such technology while in the second case, to the extent of the jurisdictional boundaries agreed upon, the private company in charge of those satellites being in business for profit are allowed to sell satellite images to third party buyers who must not be affiliated with the federal government of Nigeria or any of its ministries. This agreement is the case of allowing a private outfit to capture and provide GEOINT( Geographical intelligence) for use by private outfits without any laid down law( do not tell me we have a law that provides for the exigencies)to guide such transactions. Or to ensure that in the long run, this do not expose the nation to a national security threat.
I believe with the aid of a dictionary and wikipedia, you will be able to understand (now) the reason for my first comment. Thank you.

bla bla bla
You talk too much but lack intellectual depth
You goofed and it was pointed out to you only for you to return with yet another goof.

BTW: What's with your assumption that i came across your post 3 weeks ago ? I guess they didn't teach you maths where you crawled out from. Why don't you just do datediff(dd, '02/07/2015','27/06/2015') and tell me how many days ago you posted your trash dumbass

Intellectual competence of an Electrical/Electronics Engineer?

I laugh in swahili

Abeg take correction and move on

You are challenging the legal framework but don't you think they would have had competent people to iron those out?

1 Like

Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by overhypedsteve(m): 5:15pm On Jul 02, 2015
jaybee3:

bla bla bla
You talk too much but lack intellectual depth
You goofed and it was pointed out to you only for you to return with yet another goof.

BTW: What's with your assumption that i came across your post 3 weeks ago ? I guess they didn't teach you maths where you crawled out from. Why don't you just do datediff(dd, '02/07/2015','27/06/2015') and tell me how many days ago you posted your trash dumbass

Intellectual competence of an Electrical/Electronics Engineer?

I laugh in swahili

Abeg take correction and move on

You are challenging the legal framework but don't you think they would have had competent people to iron those out?
very typical. Mind you . If you have brains enough to understand things. You will still realise that you are chasing a lost cause. My initial comment never stated anything about where the satellites will be located. But you stupidly assumed that i think (mumu u enter my mind) that it will be located in England. When all i said was "we re allowing a British company to provide satellite tech"
from the moment you started this argument i knew you were hopeless . But when i gave you a comprehensive reply and you complained about it being too long? come on man. You just said i ddnt know how to read, what did you expect me to do? Insult your father? No i don't do that. I ll just write a buoyant reply and hope you re sane enough to read it thats all.
As per my disputing the legal framework. Yea i challenged it because of its Novel status ( its a new system and have not being tried and tested in Nigeria) so therefore it legal framework can be challenged by concerned legal think tanks. Oya start insulting me(cus na only that kind sense dey ur head) Mr i know everything about satellites.
Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by jaybee3(m): 5:20pm On Jul 02, 2015
overhypedsteve:
very typical. Mind you . If you have brains enough to understand things. You will still realise that you are chasing a lost cause. My initial comment never stated anything about where the satellites will be located. But you stupidly assumed that i think (mumu u enter my mind) that it will be located in England. When all i said was "we re allowing a British company to provide satellite tech"
from the moment you started this argument i knew you were hopeless . But when i gave you a comprehensive reply and you complained about it being too long? come on man. You just said i ddnt know how to read, what did you expect me to do? Insult your father? No i don't do that. I ll just write a buoyant reply and hope you re sane enough to read it thats all.
As per my disputing the legal framework. Yea i challenged it because of its Novel status ( its a new system and have not being tried and tested in Nigeria) so therefore it legal framework can be challenged by concerned legal think tanks. Oya start insulting me(cus na only that kind sense dey ur head) Mr i know everything about satellites.
You are already hurt so no point flogging you further

Ciao
Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by overhypedsteve(m): 5:30pm On Jul 02, 2015
jaybee3:

You are already hurt so no point flogging you further

Ciao
mumu you came to the thread to hurt and flog. I came in to educate you. Who get sense now. You think i waste my time to come online to create enemies for myself. See where your brain reach. I am already hurt. Shey my hurt will put food in your stomach. Ode. Said something he knew nothing about and runaway saying his "head" is already hurt. Oya run and go and play with your mate.
Re: FG, UK Firm Sign $250m Satellite Deal by Wildrage: 5:48pm On Jul 02, 2015
This huge amounted committed solely by one man, is there no limit to what he can approve without the input and approval of a federal executive council?

(1) (Reply)

Mr. Dangote: I Am Sorry But I Dont Believe You On This ! ( See Screen Shot) / In Defence Of Radio Biafra By Onyiorah Paschal Chiduluemije / 9 Types Of People We Missed On Nairaland.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.