Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,530 members, 7,823,310 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

• • •Tips On Getting A US VISA - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA (52849 Views)

Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) / #lagoslessons - Nigerians Give Important Tips On How To Survive Living In Lagos / Getting A Gabon Visa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by NgwaManNaija4LF(m): 2:15pm On Jul 04, 2015
God has left America, I won't go there until sanity is restored.
Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by Elparaiso(m): 2:18pm On Jul 04, 2015
Pprovost:

Congrats bro. I'm so happy for you.
Thanks bro...
God go answer your prayers too
Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by ifypedro38(m): 2:58pm On Jul 04, 2015
okay nah , if US refused you visa then try IS they will give you !!!
Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by Nobody: 3:22pm On Jul 04, 2015
how much is de visa?
Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by kkoncept(f): 4:01pm On Jul 04, 2015
Teeboy22:
Business/Tourist Visa (B-1/B-2) is for people traveling to the United States temporarily for business (B-1) or for pleasure or medical treatment (B-2).

Generally, the B-1 visa is for travelers consulting
with business associates, attending scientific,
educational, professional or business
conventions/conferences, settling an estate or
negotiating contracts.

The B-2 visa is for travel that is recreational in
nature, including tourism, visits with friends or
relatives, medical treatment and activities of a
fraternal, social or service nature. Often, the B-1
and B-2 visas are combined and issued as one
visa: the B-1/B-2.

Note: Consular officers would really like to see that applicants are honest.

TIPS

*Wear a clean and neat cloth you are
comfortable in, no preference for formal
or casual attire.

*Your appearance should convey who you
are. If you are a student, you should look
like a student. If you are an executive, you
should look like an executive.

*Your body language should convey
friendliness.

*Arrive earlyGreet the Visa Officer with a
smile and a "good morning".

*Be confident! Do not get nervous. Smile
when you meet the visa officer for the first
time.

*Don't show signs of nervousness such as
flickering of eyes or trembling of fingers.

*Have and maintain a confident posture
throughout the interview.

*Be confident in your answers! Make short,
clear, to-the-point replies, in a clear voice.

*Do not say anything that is irrelevant or
not asked.

*Be polite, do not argue and do not ask
unnecessary or unrelated questions.

*Often times you might not understand
what the interviewing officer is saying
because of his/her accent and/or the
microphone system. If you do not
understand one of their sentences do not
feel afraid to say, 'beg your pardon; I did not understand you.' If he/she repeats the
question and you still do not understand,
that is not a problem, do not panic. Calmly
and confidently say, 'sorry sir/madam. I
still did not understand you. Could you
kindly repeat what you said?'

*Do not give an answer immediately
without thinking through it.

*Be honest during the interview and while
preparing the documents.

*For every question asked, when you are
saying your answer, you should be
prepared to simultaneously put forth a
document supporting your answer, and
refer to the document in your answer.

*Mind your manners and refrain from
unnecessary body movement.

*Remember, the consular officer is not your
enemy, he is just doing his duty

Additionally research more about the following

*who is inviting you to the US or the event
you are attending

*destination in US and how you wish to
spend your time

If the Consular Officer did not look at your documents Many people complain that the visa officer did not
even ask any questions nor looked at any
documents and rejected their application which is
not fair at all. Visa officers are experts in their
profession and they are appointed in consulates in
foreign countries after extensive training. Due to their vast experience and training, visa
officers can figure out true intentions of applicants
just by looking at them. They can even figure out
whether information provided in the application
and/or documents may be true or fake. They don't
need to talk to applicants in many cases.

Goodluck!

cc:Justwise bigfrancis21

@op its my first time... And I'm curious, is the interview just between and the VO or everyone will be present, cos u made mention of a microphone
Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by Dapsin2901: 4:18pm On Jul 04, 2015
nice one and I like to know what is the best time to apply and how can some apply with his family
Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by mkpikpub(m): 4:54pm On Jul 04, 2015
Teeboy22:

OP, I intend to apply for a tourist visa for my family. We have 4 kids. Me and my wife are working. I just want to give my family a treat for two weeks at Houston during my leave. So what do i need? I have an inlaw in the states, but i do not want any invitation from anyone. I intend to stay in a hotel during my stay. So what do i need to do?
Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by PRODUTIM1(m): 5:51pm On Jul 04, 2015
Well said
Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by bigfrancis21: 5:51pm On Jul 04, 2015
kkoncept:

@op its my first time... And I'm curious, is the interview just between and the VO or everyone will be present, cos u made mention of a microphone

Between you and the VO but the microphone system will be quite audible such that those in the queue, either sitting or standing, would be able to hear what you and the VO are saying. This, I think, is for a fair interview for everyone, to eliminate talks of bias or favouritism against some people.

3 Likes

Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by dugochi: 6:53pm On Jul 04, 2015
Teeboy22:

Was issued visa 2years ago but was refused entry into the US cos I was visibly pregnant. Any possibility of getting the visa revalidated at the embassy?

Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by Kizopumpin(m): 8:10pm On Jul 04, 2015
Those tips are quite helpful and enlightening.
Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by ogbonti: 3:39am On Jul 05, 2015
America is very sweet if you have the money to spend and you genuinely want to return back to Nigeria. You are welcome. If you are nursing the ambition of hanging around to work or squat with someone, be ready to suffer and you go know say "khaki no be leather" . I have cried more times in My Adult life living in America than all my childhood year's from infancy.

If you don't have anyone here who is interested in supporting you, it is very easy for one to run mad here than in Ejigbo, Lagos.

But truth is, when and if things normalize, life is indeed sweet living in America, making money and living life. I won't trade living in America with any of the 17 countries I have visited so far in my life. I just want you all to manage your expectations. Even family members that tell you to come, when you finally get here, they will start giving you bul l sh. yt that you won't know what hit you.

I have seen, read about and heard it happen from New York to Los Angeles, Miami to Seattle. That Uncle or Aunt or brother or sister that left 5 to 20 years ago is not the same person you use to know. He is so Americanized now that he is watching his or her money than trying to please you.

Here in America, people only care about their nuclear families and NOT extended families, period!

It is common to see new intending immigrants being put in the street by their family member they knew back home in Nigeria.

Those that will keep u in their house are trying to use u as house girl or domestic servant. If you start asking question's about the way forward for your life, then you will know the person that was put in the street is probably better than you, who was deceived and fed but wasted your time.

For instance, I have seen countless taxi drivers with B.Sc Msc and recently one with a Ph.D from Nigeria in America. Hmmm, after spending 10 to 15 years to bam here, crying if they knew what life will give them in America, they would have stated back home.

One was telling me when I travelled to Atlanta on a business conference that "My brother, na word wey I no hear make my life condemn like this so"

He said he made a 2.1 in Accounting from UNILAG and after NYSC in 1995, he left for yank, 20 years down the road, no Green Card, no wife at home, 2 kids from 2 American women and he is paying child support big time. He drives a cab about 14 to 16 hours a day, 6 days a week to pay mountain of bills on his head.

He can't go home to naija because if he abandons the kids and leaves, he will be arrested and sent to jail whenever he returns to the USA. (Right at the airport).that is if he gets his green card today, he has a huge liability on his neck as kids ..... he concluded that 2 guys who graduated in his sect are managers now at CBN, and that anytime they visit Atlanta, he hides when he sees them because he is ashamed to let them know he drives cab for a living. He even said none of these two guys made 2.1, they both made 2.2. I almost cried for him.

They are married, they have built houses in naija, have their MBA from Unilag, and life is good for them, they travel all over the world and here he is, on economic exile, driving away his life in Atlanta and eating burgers and fries every other hour, with no family to call his own.... he lost his parents, he couldn't go to their funeral in naija.

so think deeply guys, before you make your moves!

America is not heaven, there are beggars and homeless people everywhere who will kill to steal your $50 from your wallet. But it is good to see for yourself so you can understand. Y'all are welcome to Yankee land!

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by kobonaire(m): 8:15am On Jul 05, 2015
NgwaManNaija4LF:
God has left America, I won't go there until sanity is restored.
I wonder if God de Naija?

3 Likes

Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by odehaj: 5:23pm On Jul 05, 2015
Teeboy22:

first attempt i will be given a USvisa

1 Like

Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by Teeboy22(m): 10:18pm On Jul 06, 2015
bigfrancis21:
Quite informative. I have recommended the article for the front page.

thanks boss..

So hw are you doing??
Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by Teeboy22(m): 10:19pm On Jul 06, 2015
Houseofglam7:
Will save this page..... For reference purposes
grin

nice one
Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by afuyebusayo: 5:02pm On Jul 07, 2015
Is it compulsory I go with my statement of acct yonthe interview?
Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by newsinglemum2b: 9:56am On Jul 08, 2015
What's the website to fill out the visa form from?
Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by Teeboy22(m): 6:11pm On Nov 28, 2015
wink
Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by ladypinky(f): 10:02am On May 01, 2016
Hi house...

I want to apply for B-2 visa. This my 1st time.

How do I go about the application process.
What website do I visit and how do I book for an interview. How much should I have in my account. Am going on a tourist visit.
When they ask y am going on a tourist visit, what do I say.
How long does it take to process this.

Awaiting your response.

Thanks.
Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by uyemhe: 6:16pm On Aug 06, 2016
Thanks for these helpful tips. Can anyone provide advice for me here please? I'm trying to help my mom secure tourist visa to come visit me. Besides appointment confirmation, passport, DS-160 application form, passport photo, and GT Bank receipt...what other documentation can I show? I can think of bank statement, and letter of invitation, but anything else?
Also, she's a widow and all her kids are here in the US, but I feel the officer might think she is trying to run away. How do we convince them that she will come back?
Appreciate your help, thank you
Re: • • •Tips On Getting A US VISA by Teeboy22(m): 6:44am On Jan 29, 2017
cool cool

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Accident Along Benin Highway Few Days Ago,Some Dead,Others Injured(Pics) / Burial Of The 26 Nigerian Girls Killed In Mediterranean Sea (Pictures) / 12 Interesting Facts About Akwa Ibom State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.