Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,124 members, 7,818,370 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:47 PM

Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) (40166 Views)

Traveling In The Schengen Area? Always Have Your Passport!-a Personal Experience /  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos / lessons from the lawmakers sex scandal and A personal experience! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by law001(m): 6:55pm On Mar 31, 2016
This thread is inspired by a touching story of a Nairalander (Pretty002) on fp today.

READ!
https://www.nairaland.com/3019959/trials-fresh-abuja-resident

Introduction:
Abuja is a fast growing city that presents great prospects hence many Nigerian Youths especially graduates ( a handful from neighbouring countries) troop into this Nigeria Big Apple to either pursue their career or work for a living.
No doubt, Abuja's population is increasing by the day majority of which are youths.
Hence it is peculiar to meet various challenges in this fast growing city.
Some of the problems that are common will be listed and discussed and possible ways of coping with then will be proffered. While doing this, I'll briefly state my personal experience as a Fresher and how I'm surviving as I'm still a fresher.

Please note that there is no hard and fast rule of survival. What will work for Peter (my late father's name) might not work for Paul.
Read and learn.

1. Accommodation:
This was and is still the biggest problem in Abuja... for those who didn't read Pretty002's story, she discussed extensively how she has been suffering from this same issue.
But do you know that there are more empty houses in Abuja than the ones people live in? That's by the way side though. For freshers, this poses a big problem.

For those planning on coming to abuja to work or stay, accommodation in Abuja is very expensive far expensive than Lagos. For those doubting Thomas, come and see for yourself. So when coming here, plan on where to stay at least for the first few months before you can get your own place.

Solution:
Please and please before leaving home, create a network of TRUSTED friends minimum of 2 living Abuja already that you can stay with for the time being.

For me, I had 3 friends I could stay with when I was coming to Abuja. And to avoid too much shakara from any, I was shuttling the 3 houses during the weekends but I spent the week in one of the houses cus it was in town closer to my workplace.

Always suggest and support any arrangement that will encourage better leaving for your host.
As for me, the very first dat I stayed at my friends place, I contributed a larger part in buying gas, I did the dishes even when I didn't use them. Subsequently, I supported him financially in paying for water bill, bought groceries and cooked.
Please don't see it as slavery. You are the one at the disadvantaged end here.
Except you are very comfortable, do not stay in your friends place more than 3 months. Have a plan of getting your own place when you get a job, no matter how small or how far the place is.

Lastly, on accommodation, please ladies! Do not stay in a guy's house unless he's your brother or close and very close relative.

2. Getting a Job:
This is also another tough part in Abuja. Getting a job is not easy at all. Although I got my present job 2 days upon landing Abuja, I have friends who up till now are still searching for job.
Please plan well and don't rely on that uncle that promised to give you a job once you move to Abuja (due respect to those faithful to their words).

As for me, immediately I stepped into Abuja, I started searching for job the next morning. I moved from office to office, I printed my CV and made lots of copies. I submitted my CV in several offices.
On the next day I continued.
I still remember my line whenever I entered any office. "I'm a lawyer, my name is... I moved into Abuja yesterday and I decided to move round to see if there is any vacancy for a lawyer". The answer was usually NO until I walked into my present office and fortunately for me, there were conducting interview for lawyers and luckily I was the only one employed after the interview.

3. Cost of transportation: after accommodation, transportation is the most expensive thing in Abuja. Some people spend about A thousand naira going to work every day. Have a plan of financing your transportation at least before you get a job to when you get a job and paid. Do not rely on your host to give you transport even if your host is your relative.

4. Feeding:
this won't pose a major problem unless you are eating at your hosts house. Always support the cooking arrangement in the house. Do not be a virus. Even if your host is not the cooking type, please suggest you guys cook to save money. And even if you don't know how to cook, try it. No matter how bad your cooking is, your host will see your genuine interest in supporting him/her.

5. Neatness at all time:
Please always appear neat and presentable at all time. It is very sacrosanct to your living in Abuja. Always clean your surroundings, where you stay and work. No matter how dirty and untidy you are at home, please always clean your hosts apartment whether you contributed to the dirt or not.

6. Define your class:
Please be informed that all classes exist here in Abuja. Below low class, low class, below middle class, middle class, below high class, high class very high class, etc.
It can be tempting to leave above your class especially if you meet the wrong persons when you get here.
As for me, when I got here, I stayed with a friend that loves drinking every night, I mean every night. Even though I was not the one paying, I felt it is not appropriate to do so especially as it was affecting my new job. So most times I discourage them from going or I don't go with them and this prompted me to get my own apartment quickly as I didn't want to lose focus of what brought me to Abuja.
Abuja presents an environment to lavish your money if you are not wise. Spend cautiously and remember those you left home.

7. Be prayerful:
This point is very vital. To me, I got my job through the prayer I said before I entered the premises of my current workplace.
No matter what believe you have or your religion, please be prayerful. It's sacrosanct to your survival here in Abuja.

Conclusively, please note that I am less than 2 months in Abuja.
I got my apartment from my first salary, soft loan from a friend and home support. Although I was flat broke after I rented my place, I'm happy and I have rest of mind.

148 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by just4obitex(m): 9:01pm On Mar 31, 2016
Well said my friend. Nice one

6 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by law001(m): 9:09pm On Mar 31, 2016
Thanks Boss! Life's journey is not easy.

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by seyema(m): 9:26pm On Mar 31, 2016
Nice one

2 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by makingsense(m): 9:27pm On Mar 31, 2016
law001:
This thread is inspired by a touching story of a Nairalander (Pretty002) on fp today.
READ!
https://www.nairaland.com/3019959/trials-fresh-abuja-resident
Introduction:
Abuja is a fast growing city that presents great prospects hence many Nigerian Youths especially graduates ( a handful from neighbouring countries) troop into this Nigeria Big Apple to either pursue their career or work for a living.
No doubt, Abuja's population is increasing by the day majority of which are youths.
Hence it is peculiar to meet various challenges in this fast growing city.
Some of the problems that are common will be listed and discussed and possible ways of coping with then will be proffered. While doing this, I'll briefly state my personal experience as a Fresher and how I'm surviving as I'm still a fresher.
Please note that there is no hard and fast rule of survival. What will work for Peter (my late father's name) might not work for Paul.
Read and learn.
1. Accommodation:
This was and is still the biggest problem in Abuja... for those who didn't read Pretty002's story, she discussed extensively how she has been suffering from this same issue.
But do you know that there are more empty houses in Abuja than the ones people live in? That's by the way side though. For freshers, this poses a big problem.
For those planning on coming to abuja to work or stay, accommodation in Abuja is very expensive far expensive than Lagos. For those doubting Thomas, come and see for yourself. So when coming here, plan on where to stay at least for the first few months before you can get your own place.
Solution:
Please and please before leaving home, create a network of TRUSTED friends minimum of 2 living Abuja already that you can stay with for the time being.
For me, I had 3 friends I could stay with when I was coming to Abuja. And to avoid too much shakara from any, I was shuttling the 3 houses during the weekends but I spent the week in one of the houses cus it was in town closer to my workplace.
Always suggest and support any arrangement that will encourage better leaving for your host.
As for me, the very first dat I stayed at my friends place, I contributed a larger part in buying gas, I did the dishes even when I didn't use them. Subsequently, I supported him financially in paying for water bill, bought groceries and cooked.
Please don't see it as slavery. You are the one at the disadvantaged end here.
Except you are very comfortable, do not stay in your friends place more than 3 months. Have a plan of getting your own place when you get a job, no matter how small or how far the place is.
Lastly, on accommodation, please ladies! Do not stay in a guy's house unless he's your brother or close and very close relative.
2. Getting a Job:
This is also another tough part in Abuja. Getting a job is not easy at all. Although I got my present job 2 days upon landing Abuja, I have friends who up till now are still searching for job.
Please plan well and don't rely on that uncle that promised to give you a job once you move to Abuja (due respect to those faithful to their words).
As for me, immediately I stepped into Abuja, I started searching for job the next morning. I moved from office to office, I printed my CV and made lots of copies. I submitted my CV in several offices.
On the next day I continued.
I still remember my line whenever I entered any office. "I'm a lawyer, my name is... I moved into Abuja yesterday and I decided to move round to see if there is any vacancy for a lawyer". The answer was usually NO until I walked into my present office and fortunately for me, there were conducting interview for lawyers and luckily I was the only one employed after the interview.
3. Cost of transportation: after accommodation, transportation is the most expensive thing in Abuja. Some people spend about A thousand naira going to work every day. Have a plan of financing your transportation at least before you get a job to when you get a job and paid. Do not rely on your host to give you transport even if your host is your relative.
4. Feeding:
this won't pose a major problem unless you are eating at your hosts house. Always support the cooking arrangement in the house. Do not be a virus. Even if your host is not the cooking type, please suggest you guys cook to save money. And even if you don't know how to cook, try it. No matter how bad your cooking is, your host will see your genuine interest in supporting him/her.
5. Neatness at all time:
Please always appear neat and presentable at all time. It is very sacrosanct to your living in Abuja. Always clean your surroundings, where you stay and work. No matter how dirty and untidy you are at home, please always clean your hosts apartment whether you contributed to the dirt or not.
6. Define your class:
Please be informed that all classes exist here in Abuja. Below low class, low class, below middle class, middle class, below high class, high class very high class, etc.
It can be tempting to leave above your class especially if you meet the wrong persons when you get here.
As for me, when I got here, I stayed with a friend that loves drinking every night, I mean every night. Even though I was not the one paying, I felt it is not appropriate to do so especially as it was affecting my new job. So most times I discourage them from going or I don't go with them and this prompted me to get my own apartment quickly as I didn't want to lose focus of what brought me to Abuja.
Abuja presents an environment to lavish your money if you are not wise. Spend cautiously and remember those you left home.
7. Be prayerful:
This point is very vital. To me, I got my job through the prayer I said before I entered the premises of my current workplace.
No matter what believe you have or your religion, please be prayerful. It's sacrosanct to your survival here in Abuja.
Conclusively, please note that I am less than 2 months in Abuja.
I got my apartment from my first salary, soft loan from a friend and home support. Although I was flat broke after I rented my place, I'm happy and I have rest of mind.

Op no advice for the guys!!

For the babe's don't mind him.. my house is always free angry grin grin cheesy cool

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by uchelouis45(m): 9:27pm On Mar 31, 2016
I heard Abuja is the first planned city in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Fiwasayo(f): 9:27pm On Mar 31, 2016
thanks so much for this op,i just sent you a pm....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by ksstroud: 9:29pm On Mar 31, 2016
And we are planning on relocating... To the FCT...

cc:
Amicable09
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by banme1(m): 9:31pm On Mar 31, 2016
.u hear abuja u pack bags. No concrete arrangement for accommodation and other logistics. U get sense so?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Youngk(m): 9:32pm On Mar 31, 2016
nice one ,you nailed it bro.

Read some funny things people do in Abuja

http://www.funnycapnaija.com/2016/02/abuja-4020-funny-things-people-do-in.html?m=1
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Helkayklassic(m): 9:33pm On Mar 31, 2016
Nice one
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Nobody: 9:34pm On Mar 31, 2016
Nice
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by tpiah01: 9:34pm On Mar 31, 2016
Almost the only thing I know about Abuja is its very expensive.

2 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by MPVGoddess: 9:36pm On Mar 31, 2016
LOL on the comment about planned city
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by banme1(m): 9:37pm On Mar 31, 2016
Fiwasayo:
ur own get as e be. Even ur location says searching. U sure say u really wan go abuja.

2 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Ramanto(m): 9:37pm On Mar 31, 2016
WONERFUL WRITE-UP MR. BARISTER
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Houseofglam7(f): 9:40pm On Mar 31, 2016
The hustle is real cool

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by donephi(m): 9:40pm On Mar 31, 2016
2months and you already have an apartment.
Kudos bro,
Do you mind giving the location u got an apartment and the range u paid.
Thank you

4 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Nobody: 9:40pm On Mar 31, 2016
That chic when send you pm though,choi if you no collect make i know why grin
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by kowema(f): 9:41pm On Mar 31, 2016
My problem is people living very fake life in Abuja.
I see dem everyday mehn!..

Abuja is not as hard as people say though, especially for anyone who has lived in a tough place like Lagos.

To me ,housing nd Transport is relatively cheaper in Abj than Lagos.
Abj Landlords don't do d kind of Maths Lagos Landlords do.

If you are new here, please cut ur coat according to ur material, never ever envy or crave for what the next person has cus u never really know.

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Progress2468(m): 9:41pm On Mar 31, 2016
Nice
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Nelkoko: 9:42pm On Mar 31, 2016
U 4get dis point.....
*70% OF ABJ BABES NA RUNS GIRLS SO NA 2 CHOP CLEAN MOUTH BUT WITH UR MONEY....... MAKE I WARM U...... NO MARRY ABJ GIRLS OOOO..... BUT FEW R XTREMLY NICE BUT DIA SHAKARA N STEWPID WAY OF TALKIN GO MAKE U FEEL LIKE SAY U NO SABI SPEAK ENGLISH.

12 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Abbeyunique2(m): 9:43pm On Mar 31, 2016
May God bless ur hustle bro

1 Like

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Kelvinanderson(m): 9:43pm On Mar 31, 2016
The major issue freshers have when they move in to abuja, is they forget the reason for their coming and get lost in the ambience created by the elite class and therefore the trend to live a make-belief lifestyle which leads to a disastrous end.
Welcome to Abuja. Centre of unity.

4 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by Progress2468(m): 9:43pm On Mar 31, 2016
kowema:
I see dem everyday mehn!

So how do other people's problem become ur problem?

13 Likes

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by xmileeasy: 9:45pm On Mar 31, 2016
If you have work for awhile you can save to rent an apartment in some areas with cheaper accommodation. You can start small. You have Gudu, Durumi, Apo, Duste Alhaji, Bwari, Lugbe, Mpape etc

In terms of transportation learn how to enter along, no form big boy or girl by taking drop. You can always get cab going along most routes, ask questions if confuse and also some distance are walk able.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by springtech(m): 9:46pm On Mar 31, 2016
I can deduce you are one level headed fella. Its an uncommon virtue my brother.
Lots of guys in your shoes would have lost it the first day they got into Abuja.
Success or failure begins from the very first day you enter a new territory.
I admire your courage and personality. Keep it up bro.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by jibbish(m): 9:46pm On Mar 31, 2016
If you can survive in Lagos, u can in Abuja.
My first day in abuja, I slept in Jabi park. I can't forget in a rush. Mosquitoes finished my leg na small remain, I gathered all my strength and determined I was going to pass the interview. 1st house rent was in dutse Alhaji, so rough to the core. Now I stay in a comfortable place, own a ride and at peace with my boss.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by femi4: 9:47pm On Mar 31, 2016
kowema:
I see dem everyday mehn!
how
Re: Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) by femi4: 9:48pm On Mar 31, 2016
Fiwasayo:
your location says searching....

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Over 20 People, Children Die In Cars Trapped In Snow Storm In Pakistan(Photos) / What Is The Cost Of Living In Abuja?? / 268 Stranded Nigerians Evecuated From China Arrive Abuja Airport (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.