Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,716 members, 7,865,825 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 06:50 AM

Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords - Properties (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords (66164 Views)

Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" / Tips For First-time Tenants And Landlords / Five Things To Look Out For In A Rent Agreement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by lastpage: 8:14am On Jun 29, 2015
eagleeye2:

Please be advised that you can actually give a yearly or bi-yearly or quarterly or monthly tenant just a MONTHS NOTICE TO QUIT and you will not be contravening any tenanncy law.
How it works is that the Landlord will have to EXPRESSLY STATE IT IN THE TENANCY AGREEMENT that irrespective of how the tenant pays his rent, that the tenancy will be DETERMINED BY A MONTHS NOTICE. If a prospective tenant accepts and signs the tenancy agreement without any duress, then I see why a landlord cannot terminate such tenancy with a months notice.

With due respects Sir, l want to state that some laws/agreements which run contrary to a much higher and superseding law is null and void, even if it is signed by both parties.

what l am saying is that if you make an agreement which constitutes "refoulement" of an existing law of the land, such agreement is null and void in the face of the law and you cannot enforce your rights using such agreement.

A very common example is when (say for example) two people enter into a a "written and signed agreement" that Party A will pay party B a sum of money if Party B kills someone for Party A.
Though both have signed and agreed and the contract is supposedly binding on both, but because there is a law which makes what they did to be an offense (as in shortened tenancy rights), Party B cannot seek any recourse in law, if Party A refuses to perform his side of that agreement.

Reason being attributed to "refoulement"... and that agreement is null and void from the onset.

In the same light, l am of the position that since there is a law which expressly state the number/duration of Quit Notice for a yearly Tenant, any "private agreement" which violates that law is null and void from the onset, even if duly signed by both parties.

I understand that you will say they entered into it voluntarily and that they signed already and that two parties are at liberty to enter into 'private agreements' but the underlying principle is that such 'private agreements' does not violate existing extant laws of the land.

Now, what is your own explanation to back up your position please.

Lastpage!
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by ladyF(f): 8:35am On Jun 29, 2015
dasphinx1:

nice profile pix wink

tnx grin
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by dasphinx1(m): 8:45am On Jun 29, 2015
ladyF:

tnx grin

You are most welcome and a very good morning to you....
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by eagleeye2: 9:00am On Jun 29, 2015
lastpage:

While l agree that he should not second-guess the court and that due process needs to be followed, it is a very simple case.

The Landlord just needs to serve the Tenant, a "back-dated" notice which takes into account the previous six months.
At that point, the notice is duly served like it was served six months ago.
Let the Tenant come and prove it in court that he was served yesterday! shocked shocked

....And "Quit notice" does not even mean "free housing" ....... You still have to pay your rent til the day you leave

"If a child is adept at feigning death, the mother too can be good at doing mock burial". undecided undecided

Lastpage!
unless the tenant is living alone and there are no witnesses as to when the quit notice was served. It's just the word of the landlord against the tenant. And if it can be proven that the landlord is lying under oath in court, you very well know that a case of perjury will now be leveled on the landlord.
In this country we are good at cutting corners, that's why someone will even be thinking of perjury.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by wisdomguy4u(m): 9:03am On Jun 29, 2015
cooljoy10:
Please I need urgent help!!!
I paid two years rent where am staying now and I have used 1year and two months out of the 24months I paid for. I just accommodated a church member for like 2months nd my landlady complained that my visitor did not flush the toilet well and locked the toilet and bathroom am entitled to for more than a month now; I reported her to lagos state Tenant/landlord mediators and she didn't show up. Now I have told her to return my 10months rent balance which she has not returned till date. Please how do I fight for my right and have my money back??
770077][/color]not returned. How do I fight[quouthor=wisdomguy4u post=35242510]It's a known fact that most people are not learned in terms of their legal rights as regard to tenancy, this has given some landlords(rent lawyers) the onus to act in such a reckless and unlawful ways toward their tenants without any fear of percussion. You can only defend your right when you know you have a right.

This are some unlawful acts often perpetrated by landlords towards their ignorant tenants:

1. Inadequate eviction: Locking out tenants, and physically throwing them of their property or assaulting him for his inability to pay rent at when due. Only the court can order and carry out the eviction of tenants, it's a legal wrong for a landlord or a rent lawyer to in anyway evict a tenants without an adequate court process. A tenant when unable to pay rent as at when due, is still a lawful tenant and must be treated with respect. A tenant who is inadequately evict due to inability to pay rent ,has a legal right to sue the landlord for damages.

2. Inadequate notice to quit: The duration of time for which the notice to quit will expire is determine by the kind of tenancy relationship existing between the tenant and it's landlord. The landlord has no right to quit the tenant anytime he likes .
* where the tenant pays monthly: the law requires that he is entitled to full one month notice.
* where the tenant pays every six months: he will be entitled to a full three months notice.
* where the tenant pays yearly: he will be entitled to six months notice.

Any notice short of the above stipulated notices is unlawful and gives the tenant right to sue for unlawful eviction.

3. Interference in the tenant privacy: The landlord has no right to walk into the tenant's apartment or make use of any of his property without an express permission from the tenant. The tenant is by law in exclusive possession and can sue his landlord for trespass if the landlord comes into his apartment without his permission. The landlord has no legal right to decide who visit his tenant unless the visitors constitute a nuisance to other tenants.

4. Inhabitable condition of the premises: it's an implied term of tenancy agreement that a landlord who let a building out must ensure that the building is in good condition. Where a tenant after paying rent, discovers that the house is not in a habitable condition, he has a legal right to sue the landlord for refund of rent and adequate compensate for the inconveniences he caused him. There are many cases where a tenant park into a house during the dry season, and when raining season comes, the house gets flooded, or the roof leaks or any other unbearable inconvenience .

5. Repairs of premises: The landlord has no right to compare his tenant to carry out all repairs in the premises. It's the duty of the landlord to carry out major (external and structural) repairs like damaged roof , cracked or collapse walls e.t.c . while the tenant carry out minors (interior)repairs like damage doors, window, sockets e.t.c

Note: However this tenancy right is sometimes varied by landlords in the agreement between them and their tenants , Where the tenant ignorantly waves any of his right in a Tenancy Agreement, he is bound by it. This is why you are advise to read and understand the Tenancy Agreement before you attest your signature on it.

Your landlord has no legal right to lock up your bathroom and toilet no matter what.. It's a landlord's legal obligation to ensure that the tenant enjoys the premises he paid for. If the landlord no longer wants you in his house, the right thing he ought to do is to issue you a notice to quit.

You have a good case against your landlord... You need a good lawyer
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by eagleeye2: 9:08am On Jun 29, 2015
lastpage:

With due respects Sir, l want to state that some laws/agreements which run contrary to a much higher and superseding law is null and void, even if it is signed by both parties.

what l am saying is that if you make an agreement which constitutes "refoulement" of an existing law of the land, such agreement is null and void in the face of the law and you cannot enforce your rights using such agreement.

A very common example is when (say for example) two people enter into a a "written and signed agreement" that Party A will pay party B a sum of money if Party B kills someone for Party A.
Though both have signed and agreed and the contract is supposedly binding on both, but because there is a law which makes what they did to be an offense (as in shortened tenancy rights), Party B cannot seek any recourse in law, if Party A refuses to perform his side of that agreement.

Reason being attributed to "refoulement"... and that agreement is null and void from the onset.

In the same light, l am of the position that since there is a law which expressly state the number/duration of Quit Notice for a yearly Tenant, any "private agreement" which violates that law is null and void from the onset, even if duly signed by both parties.

I understand that you will say they entered into it voluntarily and that they signed already and that two parties are at liberty to enter into 'private agreements' but the underlying principle is that such 'private agreements' does not violate existing extant laws of the land.

Now, what is your own explanation to back up your position please.

Lastpage!
My dear Lastpage, your analogy is flawed because the two parties signed an agreement to commit murder which is an offense in itself. But in the case of Tenancy agreement, the Tenant by signing a contract which expressly states ONE MONTH NOTICE WILL DETERMINE the tenancy is simply waiving his rights, if he is a yearly tenant. And the landlord is not committing any offense.
The landlord is simply stating that if you are so eager to rent my property, you will have to WAIVE your right to a six months notice to terminate. The Tenant cannot come back in court to claim the right which he has already waived.
It's like when a suspect, waives his right to a lawyer being present during a police interrogation, how then will the suspect come up in court to claim that he was interrogated in the absence of his lawyer
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by notttty(m): 9:21am On Jun 29, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:

Bro here is the number 08087521218
thanks. Pls what do I ask of and who should I report to plus what's the procedures... Enlighten me pls before I call
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by Nobody: 9:50am On Jun 29, 2015
notttty:
thanks. Pls what do I ask of and who should I report to plus what's the procedures... Enlighten me pls before I call
Just tell them your problem or ask for their office address. It's the public affairs office in Lagos state.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by gabbytabby: 11:27am On Jun 29, 2015
Just some general advise for both sides of the fence

Tenants
1)Pay your rent
2)Know that you have no entitlement to free rent and you are acting like a juvenile when you have this expectations. Such that if you want to be respected like an adult act like one.
3) Read your tenancy agreement and make sure you understand your rights and responsibilities.
4)Make sure the facts as stated in your rentsl application is true.
5) The landlord can issue a notice to quit at any time especially if there is a breach of your tenancy agreement. If a notice means that as at the date you vacate you have rents payment the landlord has to give you the balance of rent on day you vacate or soon after.
6) A tenancy is not a prison sentence so you can give your landlord notice and leave freely at anytime.

Landlords
1) There is a clause in the tenancy law that is constantly being ignored by tenants. Under obligations of the tenants, it starts with "subject to any contrary provisions in the agreement between the parties............"
2) You have a responsibility to ensure that an agreement is in place before you hand over keys to the tenant.
3) As regards repairs obligation the law requires that a) Tenant has the obligation to "Keep the premises in good and tenantable repair reasonable wear and tear excepted".
4) Length of notice, the tenancy law starts with "Where there is no stipulation as to the notice to be given by either party to determine the tenancy, the following shall apply.
5) Your agreement is the contrary provision so make sure you stipulate and specify what the terms are.
6) Look after your good tenants where you can, do more than you are obligated to do if you can, make sure that when you hand over the property the tenant inspects and confirm things are in working order, write down your rent default escalation process and following through
7) I cannot stress this enough agreement is key.

1 Like

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by younglawya(m): 11:34am On Jun 29, 2015
MaziOmenuko:
Am I still obligated to give 6months notice to a tenant who hasn't paid his rent for 6months now?

Is a tenant served a notice lawfully bound to pay rent during the duration of notice?

Most tenants believe they are not to pay rent once served a notice: and for the case of the tenant owing 6months rent, it means once served, he may decide to stay all thru the duration of the notice without paying: a total of 1 year!

When a tenant is in arrears of rent, you do not give a six month notice . You give a 7 day notice of owners intention to recover posession. Odutola V. Papersack
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by younglawya(m): 11:39am On Jun 29, 2015
otizs:
assuming you paying yearly / let's say 10months u pay( like corp member, mostly say for 10months). After spent 5months, misunderstanding ensue and landlord; in person give u the balance of 5months unused and ask you to pack out too soon. In ɑ case like this, By Law, how many months ℓ should use more before ℓ should finally pack out? ( ℓ have collected the 5months unused balance).

You have right to a 7 days Notice Of Owners Intention To Recover Posession. This is because you are holding over
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by timtom: 12:07pm On Jun 29, 2015
lastpage:

You left things too late!

As per Electricity: Do you have documented evidence that there was 90K debt on it? Who paid the 90K? Where are the receipts of payment?
If you can provide all the above, that amount is deductible from your rent as it is not your debt. But you need hard evidence, not "dem say". undecided

As per outstanding rent: You used it and you will pay for it.
Now, he cannot lock you in/out because of that. He can report you or get a lien on your property before you move out, to ensure you pay his outstanding rent.
He will however need a court order to effect the lien.

The Lawyer is going beyond his bound if by his action, he is denying you your fundamental right to freedom of movement, by locking the gate on you.
Get a Camera phone and record/show evidence of that denial of right of movement. You will need it in court.

Report him at the nearest Police station (make sure it is incidented in their crime diary, even if they refuse to call him to order).
Then proceed to dismantle the gate/padlock and let him call the Police on you (or if na physical fight) one way or the other, the Police wil get involved and then proceed to court.

As per whether you must pay him before leaving or not, it depends on how your Landlord handles it.
With a court order, your property can even be sold to offset the debt.
But it will be better if both of you can come to an arrangement that is "enforceable" (signed agreement) that you will pay at a certain agreed date in the future and he can hold you legally liable if you fail to pay by that date...and also claim damages and legal expenses in addition.

I do not advocate Tenants not fulfilling their financial obligation to their Landlord neither will l as a landlord, encourage Landlord impunity.

Lastpage!

I have evidence of the 90k debt and I am also willing to pay for the 4.5 months I will use (I have spent 4 months already). I just want to know if it is right to pay the estimated bills I have been getting due to the non-functionality of the electricity metre (which has been like that before I moved in)

Thanks
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by lastpage: 7:33pm On Jun 29, 2015
eagleeye2:

unless the tenant is living alone and there are no witnesses as to when the quit notice was served. It's just the word of the landlord against the tenant. And if it can be proven that the landlord is lying under oath in court, you very well know that a case of perjury will now be leveled on the landlord.
In this country we are good at cutting corners, that's why someone will even be thinking of perjury.

We are analysing a situation and acting as defence to both side.
Why do you people always take things "personal"?
What about the interest of the porr House owner who labored hard to build his/her house in our environment where Mortgage is impossible for the majority? Does he not deserve some level of protection?

Until the bolded happens, NO ONE in thinking of Perjury........ its just in your own imagination

Lastpage!
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by lastpage: 7:40pm On Jun 29, 2015
timtom:

I have evidence of the 90k debt and I am also willing to pay for the 4.5 months I will use (I have spent 4 months already). I just want to know if it is right to pay the estimated bills I have been getting due to the non-functionality of the electricity metre (which has been like that before I moved in)

Thanks

Yes, you should pay for the estimated Bill (as much as you can) since you are still connected to the Electricity Grid.
The non-functionality of the Meter is honestly speaking, not the handiwork of the House Owner.

It is a result of "Ineptitude and Greed" on the part of NEPA or whatever they are called now

Even some owner-occupied houses are forced to pay "estimated Bill" since NEPA will refuse to supply them with a working, Pay-As-You-Use meter, (even after you have paid for the supposedly FREE Meter!) just so that they can exploit the customer....

They ALWAYS prefer to bring "estimated Bills" since they can use it to cheat the customer.
Instead of repairing the Meter.
But you only need to pay like "50%" of what they bring as you can argue that unless they can provide concrete proof of your ACTUAL USAGE (which you are willing to pay), you cant afford to just offload for them.

Keep paying "something' so that they dont cut you off entirely, for now.

As for the 90K, it has Nadda to do with you.

My advice is that "play your own part as a Tenant" so that no fault will be found with you .... and then fight for your right so no Landlord can cheat/harrass you.

Lastpage!
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by lastpage: 7:49pm On Jun 29, 2015
younglawya:

You have right to a 7 days Notice Of Owners Intention To Recover Posession. This is because you are holding over

Can this not be argued further since it is almost impossible that you will get a new accommodation within 7days?
No one can ask any tenant to leave immediately, just because you are ready to refund their money!

A contract was in-place ab initio and it was for 12months.
That Contract is binding on both parties to certain limits.

If the house owner now has a change of mind, a Lawyer for the Tenant will argue in court that his client is ready to move out but needs 6months to secure another accommodation.
No Court will ask that that Tenant be thrown out within 7days, despite owners right of intention to recover

My take!

Lastpage!
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by tpiander: 7:50pm On Jun 29, 2015
Godfullsam:
Lord help me, i don't want to remian a tenant for the rest of my life sad.

better post.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by eagleeye2: 7:50pm On Jun 29, 2015
lastpage:

We are analysing a situation and acting as defence to both side.
Why do you people always take things "personal"?
What about the interest of the porr House owner who labored hard to build his/her house in our environment where Mortgage is impossible for the majority? Does he not deserve some level of protection?

Until the bolded happens, NO ONE in thinking of Perjury........ its just in your own imagination

Lastpage!
Mind you the subject of argument started with a landlord who didn't follow due process to serve a quit notice when he should have done it. And I opined that, in following due process to serve the quit notice, the tenant may live in that house for at least a year or more, due to the landlords negligence.
But you quoted me saying that the landlord can actually serve the Notice to Quit and back date it. That it is now left to the tenant to come and prove that the Notice to Quit was actually backdated.
That was were the issue of perjury comes in. Cos if the case goes to court the tenant will claim that the Notice to Quit served on him was actually backdated, and in defense the landlord will counter the claim that it wasn't backdated. SO IF IT IS EVENTUALLY PROVEN OR FOUND OUT THAT THE LANDLORD LIED UNDER OATH, WON'T IT BE A DIFFERENT CASE ALTOGETHER. A CASE OF PERJURY.
How then am I taking things personal? Afterall I manage a property myself as the landlord. But in all fairness, landlords should always follow due process in quitting a tenant, rather than trying to second guess the outcome of a court case.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by lastpage: 7:51pm On Jun 29, 2015
younglawya:

When a tenant is in arrears of rent, you do not give a six month notice . You give a 7 day notice of owners intention to recover posession. Odutola V. Papersack

What was the Judgement in this case?
Did Papersack leave (or was thrown out) within 7days? wink wink

Lastpage!
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by lastpage: 7:59pm On Jun 29, 2015
eagleeye2:

My dear Lastpage, your analogy is flawed because the two parties signed an agreement to commit murder which is an offense in itself. But in the case of Tenancy agreement, the Tenant by signing a contract which expressly states ONE MONTH NOTICE WILL DETERMINE the tenancy is simply waiving his rights, if he is a yearly tenant. And the landlord is not committing any offense.
The landlord is simply stating that if you are so eager to rent my property, you will have to WAIVE your right to a six months notice to terminate. The Tenant cannot come back in court to claim the right which he has already waived.
It's like when a suspect, waives his right to a lawyer being present during a police interrogation, how then will the suspect come up in court to claim that he was interrogated in the absence of his lawyer

With due respects sir!

The "Rights" being waved by the said agreement, is also a coded Law of the state or am l wrong about that?
If the law says it is an offense to kill, (just like it says it is an offense to eject a tenant without adequate six months notice), just same way as any "agreement to invalidate that law" or render it inapplicable, does not infer that that law is inapplicable!
A coded law wil always be applicable and there are sanctions for flouting it..... in both cases.

You cant waive-away the law, even if it is your right.
What l am saying is that the infringement is against the sate laws per say, as in both cases.

Consumer Rights law also protects "consumers" who are in a weak position such that they are not able to bargain for their right and the law wil protect their interest in such cases as this.

I guess we will have t leave it for "argument" before a Judge! grin grin grin

Cheers.

Lastpage!
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by eagleeye2: 8:11pm On Jun 29, 2015
lastpage:

With due respects sir!

The "Rights" being waved by the said agreement, is also a coded Law of the state or am l wrong about that?
If the law says it is an offense to kill, (just like it says it is an offense to eject a tenant without adequate six months notice), just same way as any "agreement to invalidate that law" or render it inapplicable, does not infer that that law is inapplicable!
A coded law wil always be applicable and there are sanctions for flouting it..... in both cases.

What l am saying is that the infringement is against the sate laws per say, as in both cases.

Consumer Rights law also protects "consumers" who are in a weak position such that they are not able to bargain for their right and the law wil protect their interest in such cases as this.

Cheers.

Lastpage!
Much respect sir. Cheers.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by LKO(m): 8:32pm On Jun 29, 2015
Machiny:
if a notice have not bn issued.the tenant can't still be removed.just that when court is to issued a notice its for 7dys

My point exactly. The landlord would only through d court, issue a seven day notice and then commence processes to recover his properties. A six months notice can no longer be issued to a yearly tenant who has not paid his rent for six months and above. By not paying, d tenant has voided his agreement with d landlord.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by platz(m): 9:10pm On Jun 29, 2015
refreshrate:

Na hostel Abi wetin?
Na you dey listen to am na.
Abi him subsidize the rent for you? some of these landlords ehn?

Guy do wetin you wan do nothing fit happen the man see go tire to para (if you be correct smasher) in fact ehn make sure say you arrange all those girls wey sabi halla like China phone during smash process.
what nonsense
u too much joor....... I go walk in the shadow of ur greatness
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by refreshrate: 9:40pm On Jun 29, 2015
platz:
u too much joor....... I go walk in the shadow of ur greatness

Remain blessed my son

and remember...keep smashing!
Even if landlord daughter make mistake pass front of the house wey him papa say woman must not enter, what will you do?

smas...
come wait o, abi na the man plan be dat?

wait him get daughter?
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by gabbytabby: 9:40pm On Jun 29, 2015
Landlords
1) There is a clause in the tenancy law that is constantly being ignored by tenants. Under obligations of the tenants, it starts with "subject to any contrary provisions in the agreement between the parties............"
2) You have a responsibility to ensure that an agreement is in place before you hand over keys to the tenant.
3) As regards repairs obligation the law requires that a) Tenant has the obligation to "Keep the premises in good and tenantable repair reasonable wear and tear excepted".
4) Length of notice, the tenancy law starts with "Where there is no stipulation as to the notice to be given by either party to determine the tenancy, the following shall apply.
5) Your agreement is the contrary provision so make sure you stipulate and specify what the terms are.
6) Look after your good tenants where you can, do more than you are obligated to do if you can, make sure that when you hand over the property the tenant inspects and confirm things are in working order, write down your rent default escalation process and following through
7) I cannot stress this enough agreement is key.

Let the ones wey wan para on Nairaland continue to para. Nothing do person wey get him act together. Good tenants have nothing to worry about.

1 Like

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by cooljoy10(f): 10:40pm On Jun 29, 2015
lastpage:

Alright thanks a lot, but I tot I can get a lawyer on this forum because I have none for now.[/color am so confused!
1.) You can be held liable for the damage/defacement done by your visitor. Cleanliness is next to Godliness, you hear? angry angry

2.) Accommodating a visitor for that length of time in a rented house is a violation of the terms of most rent agreement. You cant harbor guests without the landlord's consent.
It is a good and valid reason to eject a tenant. It is even worse if the visitor messed-up the place.

Your Landlady will not refund you and she is not obligated t do so.
Good step you went to the Mediators but some of them take "Ribba" from Landlord and drag feet on such issues.
Go back to the mediators and report that you are being denied the right to use the conveniences.

If they still drag feet, you will need a Lawyer to file a civil suit for breaches to your right to enjoy the use of what you paid for.
Seek "damages" that would cover your loses, your legal cost and inconvenience.

On the other hand, you can "trigger" a court case by removing the lock on the toilet door (after making recordings of it being locked and you being prevented from using it..... this will serve as court evidence in future) and then your landlord will be forced to take action against you....legally or otherwise. This is your cheapest option as you will be the defendant

[color=#000099]But be careful with some of this winch landlords o! Make im no spread bad thing for ground for you o!
grin grin

Lastpage!
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by Machiny: 10:10am On Jun 30, 2015
LKO:

My point exactly. The landlord would only through d court, issue a seven day notice and then commence processes to recover his properties. A six months notice can no longer be issued to a yearly tenant who has not paid his rent for six months and above. By not paying, d tenant has voided his agreement with d landlord.
but still if the landlord is interested in court procedings the tenant must definately pay the arears owed.that's certain

1 Like

Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by platz(m): 7:08pm On Jun 30, 2015
refreshrate:

Remain blessed my son

and remember...keep smashing!
Even if landlord daughter make mistake pass front of the house wey him papa say woman must not enter, what will you do?

smas...
come wait o, abi na the man plan be dat?

wait him get daughter?
lol em get but if i near them na child abuse
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by refreshrate: 8:41pm On Jun 30, 2015
platz:
lol em get but if i near them na child abuse

Noo o No put your hand for that kind thing before NL people go turn your matter to reason to fight for first to comment.
Meanwhile how many China phone you don carry come house since the last time wey I advice you?

No fall my hand o
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by younglawya(m): 3:09pm On Jul 02, 2015
lastpage:

Why and How is it Legal?
Can we use the arguments and principles of the law of contract to explain this?

My position is that a one year fully paid rent is a contract for one year, binding on both parties who have satisfied the conditions of "Offer, Acceptance and Consideration".
-So, contract is binding till the end of one year. None of the parties can break that contract without penalties

-As a follow-up, since a notice of 6months must be given, that period cannot be injected into an existing and subsiding contract as it was not part of the contract ab initio.
-A Quit Notice is another term of contract and would therefore start at the expiration of the current one as both are "mutually exclusive" of one another.

Thus, l will argue that the Notice is not valid, if given within the period of an existing and fully paid rent contract which has not yet lapsed.

I will like to listen to your own argument
(or anyone in the opposing camp).

Lets do it as an academic exercise here for others to benefit.

Lastpage

I agree that a Tenancy is an agreement or contract for use of premises for one year.

A quit notice is not a term in a contract. It can never be. It is a unilateral right that a landlord has over his property.

Remember that a six month notice does not affect a tenants occupation and lawful use of the premises during the duration of his occupation of the landlords house. It operates as a means of ending an existing tenancy. As such it can be legally given as long as the period stipulated does not fall within the existing tenancy that has been properly paid for.

For more information or clarification hit me up on 07037836881
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by LKO(m): 7:03pm On Jul 06, 2015
lastpage:

With due respects sir!

Cheers.
Lastpage!
younglawya:

I agree that a Tenancy is an agreement or contract for use of premises for one year.
A quit notice is not a term in a contract. It can never be. It is a unilateral right that a landlord has over his property.
Remember that a six month notice does not affect a tenants occupation and lawful use of the premises during the duration of his occupation of the landlords house. It operates as a means of ending an existing tenancy. As such it can be legally given as long as the period stipulated does not fall within the existing tenancy that has been properly paid for.
For more information or clarification hit me up on 07037836881

Please I need advice from expert in d house. A tenant of mine whose rent expired May dis year, suprinsingly paid a six month rent into my account this morning, without given me a prior notice, he doesn't have my permission to make dat payment.
On calling him dis afternoon as to why he made half payment into my account, he is arguing dat I told him that he would be paying six months rent after d expiration of his initial one year rent. This is a big lie. He is a yearly tenant and it is clearly stated in d tenancy agreement. I have decided to return his money by sunday. I need d full year rent. Every other tenant in dat compound, pay yearly. This guy is smart and want to play a fast one on me. He moved into d house on june 1st last year and his rent expired on d 31st of may dis year. I need d full year rent for my small business, d six months payment is a total no to me.
Pls advice me. Thank u.
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by younglawya(m): 5:29pm On Jul 08, 2015
LKO:

Please I need advice from expert in d house. A tenant of mine whose rent expired May dis year, suprinsingly paid a six month rent into my account this morning, without given me a prior notice, he doesn't have my permission to make dat payment.
On calling him dis afternoon as to why he made half payment into my account, he is arguing dat I told him that he would be paying six months rent after d expiration of his initial one year rent. This is a big lie. He is a yearly tenant and it is clearly stated in d tenancy agreement. I have decided to return his money by sunday. I need d full year rent. Every other tenant in dat compound, pay yearly. This guy is smart and want to play a fast one on me. He moved into d house on june 1st last year and his rent expired on d 31st of may dis year. I need d full year rent for my small business, d six months payment is a total no to me.
Pls advice me. Thank u.

Have you returned the money? What is the status?
Re: Legal Rights Of A Rent Tenants And Some Unlawful Acts Often Done By Landlords by LKO(m): 9:06pm On Jul 08, 2015
younglawya:

Have you returned the money? What is the status?

I would be returning it by Sunday, I won't be chanced to do it during d week. Thank u.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

Construction Of My 3bedroom Flat All Ensuite / How To Calculate Number Of Blocks For Your Building Project In 2 Simple Steps. / Jabi Lake Mall, Abuja Nearing Completion (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.