Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,929 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

Vote For Enhanced Vb6 - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Vote For Enhanced Vb6 (807 Views)

Please Who Is A Gurus Here In Vb6.0 GUI / Uploading Software Created In Vb6 To A Website / How Do I Upload Picture Field From Vb6 To Access 2013 Database (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Vote For Enhanced Vb6 by OPEYEMIAD(m): 9:53pm On Jun 28, 2015
Yes I am a vb6 coder and I enjoy it.

The failure of VB.Net to be upward compatible with classic VB6 is the main reason. Many support VB6 software - and as you know support includes modifications and enhancements - yet with large application it isn't feasible to migrate them the
Vb.Net.

kindly pledge your support on VB6 until at least 2023 but am are looking for some enhancements to VB6 too. As a minimum we'd like the same modifications that were added to VB7 (64 bit support) to be included in an enhanced VB6.

After all, Microsoft never updated Office to .Net,
why should VB6 coders have to update to .Net ?

@Microsoft #giveusenhancedvb6
Re: Vote For Enhanced Vb6 by Nobody: 9:57pm On Jun 28, 2015
I am not in agreement with your post as such because I use all versions of VB till date. From Visual Basic 6 to 2013.
And what I have to say is that VB.NET and VB 6 are 2 different languages entirely (in a manner of speaking) - the moment you accept that, the better for you.
It is almost like comparing QBasic with Visual Basic 6. Or JavaScript with JAVA (I use all these languages mind you).
Look at JavaScript for example, it is not an object-oriented language, but makes use of object. Compared to JAVA that is a fully featured OOP language.
Re: Vote For Enhanced Vb6 by OPEYEMIAD(m): 9:59pm On Jun 28, 2015
if you code in VB.net that means you will keep buying a newer version every year.
why should we have to migrate it to a new
language ? The Microsoft Office developers
refused to migrate to .Net (OK they are more
powerful than us mere Microsoft customers).
VB6, by the way, works fine on Windows 7 and
8 (and as it uses the C++ compiler it is very
fast).

#giveusenhancedvb6
Re: Vote For Enhanced Vb6 by OPEYEMIAD(m): 10:02pm On Jun 28, 2015
dhtml18:
I am not in agreement with your post as such because I use all versions of VB till date. From Visual Basic 6 to 2013.
And what I have to say is that VB.NET and VB 6 are 2 different languages entirely (in a manner of speaking) - the moment you accept that, the better for you.
It is almost like comparing QBasic with Visual Basic 6. Or JavaScript with JAVA (I use all these languages mind you).
Look at JavaScript for example, it is not an object-oriented language, but makes use of object. Compared to JAVA that is a fully featured OOP language.

please note that vb6 was upgraded to vb7 (VB.net)
They are two different language by the same developer. while the stoppage of support in vb6 but keep upgrading VB.net ?
Re: Vote For Enhanced Vb6 by OPEYEMIAD(m): 10:09pm On Jun 28, 2015
if VB6 isn't your language of choice, they could be coming for your language next. And I'm not asking for an updated VB6 instead of VB.Net or C# or any other language. I want it as well as those languages. (the last release of VB6 was 1998) is too bad.
#giveusenhancedvb6
Re: Vote For Enhanced Vb6 by OPEYEMIAD(m): 10:17pm On Jun 28, 2015
It is an evolution of VB6 am asking for.
And 'evolution'implies upwards compatibility. Any
VB6 code should be able to be taken forward into
a new product. migrating code from VB6
to VB.Net for a large application is a costly and far
from trivial task. The migration tools I've looked at
have been disappointing. That's why VB is the 7th most popular language and it hasn't had a new release since
1998 whilst VB.Net

I believe in Nairaland for advocacy #giveusenhancedvb6
Re: Vote For Enhanced Vb6 by Nobody: 10:17pm On Jun 28, 2015
OPEYEMIAD:

please note that vb6 was upgraded to vb7 (VB.net)
They are two different language by the same developer. while the stoppage of support in vb6 but keep upgrading VB.net ?
I quite agree with you, and that is exactly what I was talking about. If you keep viewing vb.NET as an upgrade of vb6, you will continue to have this thinking pattern (but if can stretch your mind a bit to accept them as different languages, it becomes easier on you).
Re: Vote For Enhanced Vb6 by seunthomas: 11:07am On Jun 29, 2015
OPEYEMIAD:
if you code in VB.net that means you will keep buying a newer version every year.
why should we have to migrate it to a new
language ? The Microsoft Office developers
refused to migrate to .Net (OK they are more
powerful than us mere Microsoft customers).
VB6, by the way, works fine on Windows 7 and
8 (and as it uses the C++ compiler it is very
fast).

#giveusenhancedvb6
.Net is a runtime. You dont need to buy a newer version every year except the runtime has dramatically changed(Happens once in very very many years). Most time the newer runtime is always backward compatible with older versions. Also go and check facts well. I think most microsoft applications today run on the .Net platform.
Re: Vote For Enhanced Vb6 by seunthomas: 11:08am On Jun 29, 2015
OPEYEMIAD:
It is an evolution of VB6 am asking for.
And 'evolution'implies upwards compatibility. Any
VB6 code should be able to be taken forward into
a new product. migrating code from VB6
to VB.Net for a large application is a costly and far
from trivial task. The migration tools I've looked at
have been disappointing. That's why VB is the 7th most popular language and it hasn't had a new release since
1998 whilst VB.Net

I believe in Nairaland for advocacy #giveusenhancedvb6
You would be surprised that with some effort vb6 code can be ported to work with .Net Runtime. I have seen many projects port old languages to the .Net runtime.

(1) (Reply)

Develop Your Applications Here For A Token / Graphic Designer Needed / #madeinnigeria -incredible:nigerian Boy In Jss3 Built A Radio With Four Lamps An

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.