Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:52 PM

Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill (4270 Views)

IGP Arase, Obi, Ahmed, Others May Be Sacked- Daily Trust / Probe Buhari Over Forged Certificate, Senior Lawyers Task IGP / Ex- IGP Ehindero Remanded In Prison For Theft. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by StFunmi(f): 8:27am On Mar 02, 2009
IGP proposes GSM subscribers bill
Sunday, March 1, 2009

The Inspector General of Police, Sir Mike Okiro, is sponsoring a draft bill seeking the enactment of a law to order GSM companies in Nigeria to register the names and addresses of all their subscribers.

Titled “A bill for an Act to make it mandatory for all GSM companies to register their subscribers”, the draft bill seeks to make it a punishable offence for a GSM company to fail to comply, the penalty of which could lead to closure of the company, or a fine of N1million Naira. The bill also seeks to punish a subscriber who fails to register his or her numbers within a given period.

The Nigeria Police is sponsoring this bill in order to control the use of GSM phones, which are now being used by miscreants, to commit crimes like kidnapping, obtaining under false pretence, etc.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/mar/1/510.html
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by StFunmi(f): 8:37am On Mar 02, 2009
How will they do it if there are no social security numbers for Nigerians?. Subscribers can give them names like they are choosing a screen name on nairaland. embarassed embarassed
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by FBS: 9:05am On Mar 02, 2009
that is where the National ID card comes into play. It is just sad that not everyone has it.

Stop this ya yeye SSN. Not all countries use that.
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by Nobody: 9:16am On Mar 02, 2009
its amazing how dumb okior is, and how he is going out of his way to highlight it. you expect people buying mobile phones to provide you with their addresses? if you are buying a fixed line - (land line), one can understand that . embarrassing fools in charge of the country.
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by StFunmi(f): 11:33am On Mar 02, 2009
that is where the National ID card comes into play. It is just sad that not everyone has it.

Stop this ya yeye SSN. Not all countries use that.

Yet some Nigerians have 5 national ID's already with five different names. You see why numbers will be much more better?
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by Nobody: 12:03pm On Mar 02, 2009
In a country ridden with violence, fraud, robbery, poverty and everything that is wrong with black man; social security number is the best offer an anticipated sane nigerian nation can get at this point in time.
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by Kobojunkie: 2:43pm On Mar 02, 2009
Another dumb move to sink to suck money out of the system. Why in the world would the police put forth this idea when it is yet to ensure that it can even effectively identify each citizen in the same country? Let me guess, when GSMs are registered, identification will come? ugh!
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by JustGood(m): 2:50pm On Mar 02, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Another dumb move to sink to suck money out of the system. Why in the world would the police put forth this idea when it is yet to ensure that it can even effectively identify each citizen in the same country? Let me guess, when GSMs are registered, identification will come? ugh!

@kobojunkie, just a question. . .
would you be against this if the idea was from an American company or some foreign group? I have my reason for asking
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by Nobody: 3:01pm On Mar 02, 2009
This idea is BULLSHIT!

It will NEVER WORK!
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by grafikdon: 3:04pm On Mar 02, 2009
Another imbecilic idea from the "Chairman" of one of the world's most incompetent police force. . .
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by Kobojunkie: 3:10pm On Mar 02, 2009
JustGood:

@kobojunkie, just a question. . .
would you be against this if the idea was from an American company or some foreign group? I have my reason for asking
If the Idea was FROM some foreign group, I would not be against it because

1) If it bombs, and it is not our money being used to source it in the first place, I AM GOOD. grin
2) I doubt any reputable company, FOREIGN OR NOT, would embark on such a project using its own resources, without ensuring that the data collected will be at least 60% useful, in the end.

Now, explain why you ask.
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by desgiezd(m): 3:12pm On Mar 02, 2009
So how does Okiro want this done? Nigerians should start queueing up again for weeks to get their numbers registered?

St.Funmi:

Yet some Nigerians have 5 national ID's already with five different names. You see why numbers will be much more better?

In a country where things work this wouldnt have been possible at least the system would have rejected four of the five names since two people can not have the same fingerprint.
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by Nobody: 3:36pm On Mar 02, 2009
desgiezd:

So how does Okiro want this done? Nigerians should start queueing up again for weeks to get their numbers registered?

I will happily que up for months to register my GSM number if the identification no/SSN is already in place.
Its a good idea but its coming at a very wrong time as the crooks they are seeking to fish out will end up registering with multiple ids.
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by Phemzy(m): 4:02pm On Mar 02, 2009
May be he is trying to have database for all GSM subscribers
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by Nobody: 4:05pm On Mar 02, 2009
Phemzy:

Then he should be ready for system overload as some nigerians have over 20 sim cards each. tongue
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by Kobojunkie: 4:10pm On Mar 02, 2009
Phemzy:

Creating a database of GSM Subscribers is never a bad idea, but in order to do that successfully, you at least have to have the right things in place. I have this fake address and fake name I register on sites with, why? Because many of the sites have no way of verifying if the data provided is correct or not. Now if the police ends up with lots of fakes names and addresses( which is more likely), what good will that database be to law enforcement?
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by Hauwa1: 4:11pm On Mar 02, 2009
in a country of the crooks umm God bless America
address in face me i face you house with no toilet and water oops tee hee hee (apology sisi jinx na)
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by SamMilla1(m): 4:24pm On Mar 02, 2009
here we go, this thing didnt work out in europe, yet okiro is dreaming about it
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by Nobody: 4:26pm On Mar 02, 2009
@Sam Milla

abi ooo!! Make una TeLL am!
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by Nkeirubaby: 4:27pm On Mar 02, 2009
just another money making scheme if you ask me. the key phrase here is the N1 million penalty. If the bill is passed, next thing you'll hear is that it's N1 million for each unregistered user. Then, they'll probably sell the database to 419 customers. It really saddens me that on a post like this, not one person has anything positive to say, because we all know our country. It's such a shame
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by mustafar1: 4:37pm On Mar 02, 2009
roflmao grin grin grin
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by ScanLess: 4:45pm On Mar 02, 2009
@ DEEPZONE

some 9jas have up to 5 ID cards when the pple that registered us in 2003 is yet to give me 1.  i love that.

@ Okiro
if you ever read nairaland posts just hear this: you are a complete mumu, the other day you said you dont know how many policemen you have in your force. now you want to tag 9jas with GSM, if your police force which is small fraction of the 9ja population is too unwieldy for you to tag, what makes think you can tag the whole of 9ja GSM subscribers. maybe you should start with your pack of olopas.
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by Kobojunkie: 4:47pm On Mar 02, 2009
ScanLess:

@ DEEPZONE

some 9jas have up to 5 ID cards when the pple that registered us in 2003 is yet to give me 1. i love that.

@ Okiro
if you ever read nairaland posts just hear this: you are a complete mumu, the other day you said you dont know how many policemen you have in your force. now you want to tag 9jas with GSM, if your police force which is small fraction of the 9ja population is too unwieldy for you to tag, what makes think you can tag the whole of 9ja GSM subscribers. maybe you should start with your pack of olopas.
roflmao!
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by Phemzy(m): 4:54pm On Mar 02, 2009
Okiro before you make decision, try to contact your fellow Nigerian or you come to Nairaland to post your decision.
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by JustGood(m): 4:55pm On Mar 02, 2009
Kobojunkie:

If the Idea was FROM some foreign group, I would not be against it because

1) If it bombs, and it is not our money being used to source it in the first place, I AM GOOD. grin
2) I doubt any reputable company, FOREIGN OR NOT, would embark on such a project using its own resources, without ensuring that the data collected will be at least 60% useful, in the end.

Now, explain why you ask.

I aksed because you seem to always want anything western and nothing Nigerian. . .yet you expect Nigeria to develop.

Sorry, it digresses from the thread
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by Kobojunkie: 5:02pm On Mar 02, 2009
JustGood:

I aksed because you seem to always want anything western and nothing Nigerian. . .yet you expect Nigeria to develop.

Sorry, it digresses from the thread

Again, with the seeming!! Gosh!!! May I ask that you read my threads as if you were reading from me the first time. That way you would not keep seeing that which is not there, as I am quite sure, since others are able to read the exact same posts and understand them as is, that it is your perception here that is at fault.
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by JustGood(m): 5:08pm On Mar 02, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Again, with the seeming!! Gosh!!! May I ask that you read my threads as if you were reading from me the first time. That way you would not keep seeing that which is not there, as I am quite sure, since others are able to read the exact same posts and understand them as is, that it is your perception here that is at fault.

I hope my perception is actually at fault as you stated
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by mustafar1: 5:46pm On Mar 02, 2009
roflmao
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by chei: 6:45pm On Mar 02, 2009
absolute bullshit by a fat, pot-bellied, bribe collecting, inefficient cop.
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by StFunmi(f): 6:51pm On Mar 02, 2009
absolute bullshit by a fat, pot-bellied, bribe collecting police robber.

grin grin You forgot to add goro chewing.
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by BigB11(m): 7:26pm On Mar 02, 2009
The Inspector General of Police, Sir Mike Okiro, is sponsoring a draft bill seeking the enactment of a law to order GSM companies in Nigeria to register the names and addresses of all their subscribers.

Titled “A bill for an Act to make it mandatory for all GSM companies to register their subscribers”, the draft bill seeks to make it a punishable offence for a GSM company to fail to comply, the penalty of which could lead to closure of the company, or a fine of N1million Naira. The bill also seeks to punish a subscriber who fails to register his or her numbers within a given period.

The Nigeria Police is sponsoring this bill in order to control the use of GSM phones, which are now being used by miscreants, to commit crimes like kidnapping, obtaining under false pretence, etc.

In fact, this is a nice idea, but in order for this type of strategy to be effective in Nigeria we must first modify our blemished and faithless system.
If it takes an average citizen less than 2 hours to buy a legal Nigerian internation passport or driving license (with a fake name), how the hell do you think registering of GSM subscribers information would work?

It makes no sense to be prescribing for a new kitchen if the foundation of the building itself is extremely weak.
I think it would be more productive if we first discover a way to first solidify or strengthen the capacity of the foundation before thinking about upgrading the kitchen.

Mr. IGP needs to pay more attention to other important areas before proposing this excellent idea.
One of our problems in Nigeria is: we do not think broadly enough before introducing our concept; and I think Mr. IGP is once again exhibiting this syndrome.

Again, great idea, but on a wrong platform.
Re: Igp Proposes Gsm Subscribers Bill by unipol(m): 7:49pm On Mar 02, 2009
it was security camera in nigerian banks, then ojo maduekwe's datas of nigerians in abroad and now mike okiro's GSM subscribers bill.
bunch of criminals and fools in nigerian government

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Video Of GEJ Presenting National Honours To Deserving Nigerians / Anambra Guber Polls: Say No To Lagos District Officer, Ngige / Atiku Opens Multi-billion Naira Beverage Factory In Adamawa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.