Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,481 members, 7,816,135 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:16 AM

It Took GEJ One Month To Nominate Ministers In 2011 - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It Took GEJ One Month To Nominate Ministers In 2011 (934 Views)

Buhari Wants Emergency Powers To Fund ECA. Same ECA That Apc Took Gej To Court / Meet The Five Female Ministers In Buhari's Government / Lol. Nigerians Mock Femi Adesina After He Says Buhari Will Appoint Ministers In (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

It Took GEJ One Month To Nominate Ministers In 2011 by LamLam15: 9:10am On Jun 30, 2015
IT TOOK GEJ A MONTH TO NOMINATE HIS MINISTERS.

A lot of people don’t know that it took former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan roughly a month to nominate his ministers in 2011 (May 29 – June 26, 2011) even though there was no “change of government”.

I have monitored closely the allegations & counter allegations, with heap of bickering left, right and center over President Muhammadu Buhari’s supposed delay in nominating his ministers. Some ardent supporters of PMB have also gone ahead in a bid to defend him to say maybe he doesn’t need the ministers after all…..since there are permanent secretaries who are seasoned civil servants in various ministries and are capable of managing the affairs of such ministries which they so know like the back their palms. My good friend, Barcanista has also out of necessity delivered a counter thread telling us why it is sacrosanct for PMB to nominate and work with ministers citing several reasons (majority of which are cogent).

However, it is very important for us to note that the business of governance is not a child’s play. It is one which requires you to make haste, yet slowly. We have heard from PMB on several platforms where he assured us that he will name his ministers but willing to so do in a very careful manner. The VP, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo also came out recently to highlight the criteria for nominating one.

The question now are:

if it is so easy to nominate ministers, why did it take ex-president Jonathan one month before naming his ministers even when there was no transition from one government to the other?

Why are people making mountains out of nothing over the fact that PMB is yet to name his ministers barely one month after inauguration knowing fully well that there was a change in government, recommendation on the true state of the country must be carefully studied and the best of the bests must be fielded irrespective of politics and region as clearly reiterated by the VP?

What would naming the ministers have achieved with the two national chambers saddled with the responsibility of screening them in disarray?

Cc: lalasticlala
Re: It Took GEJ One Month To Nominate Ministers In 2011 by mistabiola: 9:12am On Jun 30, 2015
wink
Re: It Took GEJ One Month To Nominate Ministers In 2011 by glimpse33(m): 9:13am On Jun 30, 2015
Gej is clueless nau
Re: It Took GEJ One Month To Nominate Ministers In 2011 by ibrams(m): 9:17am On Jun 30, 2015
so i heard
Re: It Took GEJ One Month To Nominate Ministers In 2011 by Emekamex(m): 9:18am On Jun 30, 2015
I will take Buhari one year.

Re: It Took GEJ One Month To Nominate Ministers In 2011 by chiangyokay: 9:18am On Jun 30, 2015
OK
Re: It Took GEJ One Month To Nominate Ministers In 2011 by dealslip(f): 9:21am On Jun 30, 2015
So because it took GEJ a month, we should be grateful for the rumored extra 2 months it will take Buhari to nominate his team. The ministries are supposed to be rudderless for 90 days, then he would come back to accuse them of corruption and mismanagement. I think we are back to the era of backward movement experience before democracy. I weep for those who insisted on bringing this man on board at all cost. He is busy relocating his Boko brothers to Anambra and appointing the other Brothers into offices he can control easily. His party, APC is in tatters. Shame on my SW brothers as well for making this possible. He who has an eye let him see where this is all going.
Re: It Took GEJ One Month To Nominate Ministers In 2011 by PerfectFortune: 9:22am On Jun 30, 2015
I really don't understand the noise about PMB not naming ministers yet.
Re: It Took GEJ One Month To Nominate Ministers In 2011 by Ephemmm: 9:36am On Jun 30, 2015
dealslip:
So because it took GEJ a month, we should be grateful for the rumored extra 2 months it will take Buhari to nominate his team. The ministries are supposed to be rudderless for 90 days, then he would come back to accuse them of corruption and mismanagement. I think we are back to the era of backward movement experience before democracy. I weep for those who insisted on bringing this man on board at all cost. He is busy relocating his Boko brothers to Anambra and appointing the other Brothers into offices he can control easily. His party, APC is in tatters. Shame on my SW brothers as well for making this possible. He who has an eye let him see where this is all going.

For your information, Ministers are like Non-Executive Officer, whose day to day presence is not necessarily needed in the operational activities of the Ministries. Though, not supporting the delay, but what was the positive impact the countless Ministers and Special Advisers has brought into the affairs of this country in the past if I may ask?

Ministry is a system, not a one-man-business: with the numerous Executive Directors heading all department in any Ministry who are also the members of the Board, the presence of a Minister has little or no effect on day to day activities unless in the aspect of policy making.

So, stop weeping for yourself: people have made their choice.

1 Like

Re: It Took GEJ One Month To Nominate Ministers In 2011 by Maxymilliano(m): 9:41am On Jun 30, 2015
LamLam15:

A lot of people don’t know that it took former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan roughly a month to nominate his ministers in 2011 (May 29 – June 26, 2011) even though there was no “change of government”.

I have monitored closely the allegations & counter allegations, with heap of bickering left, right and center over President Muhammadu Buhari’s supposed delay in nominating his ministers. Some ardent supporters of PMB have also gone ahead in a bid to defend him to say maybe he doesn’t need the ministers after all…..since there are permanent secretaries who are seasoned civil servants in various ministries and are capable of managing the affairs of such ministries which they so know like the back their palms. My good friend, Barcanista has also out of necessity delivered a counter thread telling us why it is sacrosanct for PMB to nominate and work with ministers citing several reasons (majority of which are cogent).

However, it is very important for us to note that the business of governance is not a child’s play. It is one which requires you to make haste, yet slowly. We have heard from PMB on several platforms where he assured us that he will name his ministers but willing to so do in a very careful manner. The VP, Prof. Yemi Osinbajo also came out recently to highlight the criteria for nominating one.

The question now are:

if it is so easy to nominate ministers, why did it take ex-president Jonathan one month before naming his ministers even when there was no transition from one government to the other?

Why are people making mountains out of nothing over the fact that PMB is yet to name his ministers barely one month after inauguration knowing fully well that there was a change in government, recommendation on the true state of the country must be carefully studied and the best of the bests must be fielded irrespective of politics and region as clearly reiterated by the VP?

What would naming the ministers have achieved with the two national chambers saddled with the responsibility of screening them in disarray?

15 Special advisers was approved for the President on the 3rd of June by the last national assembly, is the President hamstrung in bringing them on board ?
Re: It Took GEJ One Month To Nominate Ministers In 2011 by Maisuya1: 10:11am On Jun 30, 2015
ok...
me I tire for Nigerians o. As though if Ministers were named today all our problems will disapear!

We complained that Yaradua was baba goslow, God took him away and brought GEJ that played a fast one on all of us, now our economy is reminicent of that of greece only without capital controls yet (though stanbic just text me that i can't recieve FX at any of their branches again, tell me are we not getting to greece level? )

Now we have steady hands on the Job we are complaining
No minister yet power has suddenly improved
No appointments yet refineries are comming back online next month
No policy statements yet we have a coordinated our neighbors and the international community in the fight against BH
No ......... yet sanity has returned to our polity with every MDA doing their jobs

Haba! Nigerians take it easy now.

its just like enrolling your child into nursery and taking the child out after the first term because he doesn't know the meaning of pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis
Re: It Took GEJ One Month To Nominate Ministers In 2011 by Kenai: 10:15am On Jun 30, 2015
Your excuse for Buhari's indecision is pitiful at best.
I have seen numerous APC defenders draw up this line to deflect attention, but it's important that we set the records straight.

Many of you seem to conveniently forget that Goodluck Jonathan, unlike Buhari, was ALREADY a member of the Yar'Adua administration, hence wasn't under pressure to appoint ministers since his predecessor's appointees were already occupying those spots. When he did eventually 'appoint' his ministers, the majority of them were already in the cabinet. So, in the more honest sense, it was mostly a cabinet reshuffle with a few modifications of his own.
This is TOTALLY different in Buhari's case where all the previous appointees vacated their offices along with Jonathan, leaving their spaces empty.
I had half expected the APC and its defenders to have some modicum of common sense (even if miniscule) enough to refrain from towing that line of flawed reasoning.
Please, give us the 'Change', not the excuses!

1 Like

Re: It Took GEJ One Month To Nominate Ministers In 2011 by Mamaflex(f): 10:16am On Jun 30, 2015
Don't mind PDP and Tanoids. They just want to keep their mouth busy.

1 Like

Re: It Took GEJ One Month To Nominate Ministers In 2011 by dealslip(f): 10:19am On Jun 30, 2015
Ephemmm:

For your information, Ministers are like Non-Executive Officer, whose day to day presence is not necessarily needed in the operational activities of the Ministries. Though, not supporting the delay, but what was the positive impact the countless Ministers and Special Advisers has brought into the affairs of this country in the past if I may ask?

Ministry is a system, not a one-man-business: with the numerous Executive Directors heading all department in any Ministry who are also the members of the Board, the presence of a Minister has little or no effect on day to day activities unless in the aspect of policy making.

So, stop weeping for yourself: people have made their choice.

I have aired my views, what you or others says is your opinion, there ought to be ministers and there are none as we speak.
Re: It Took GEJ One Month To Nominate Ministers In 2011 by pharmagba: 10:27am On Jun 30, 2015
My contribution here is to stretch our understanding, think outside the box, put ourselves in PMB shoes. Are we looking at the possibility that PMB has already appointed his ministers but kept it secret and has given them an assignment to write a proposal on what they think the problem with specific ministries, what and how they can revamp it and what they hope to achieve within a given period. This assignment may need to be submitted, vetted and appraised by group of professionals and those that can actually deliver be mention and made public. My point is you don't employ a good staff without interview and it is not the senate interview that matters in the real sense but the one he would have already done. I believe if he needs 2months to get this done let's oblige him.

1 Like

Re: It Took GEJ One Month To Nominate Ministers In 2011 by disumusa: 10:33am On Jun 30, 2015
LamLam15:

The question now are:

that is why he failed
Re: It Took GEJ One Month To Nominate Ministers In 2011 by LamLam15: 1:38pm On Jun 30, 2015
pharmagba:
My contribution here is to stretch our understanding, think outside the box, put ourselves in PMB shoes. Are we looking at the possibility that PMB has already appointed his ministers but kept it secret and has given them an assignment to write a proposal on what they think the problem with specific ministries, what and how they can revamp it and what they hope to achieve within a given period. This assignment may need to be submitted, vetted and appraised by group of professionals and those that can actually deliver be mention and made public. My point is you don't employ a good staff without interview and it is not the senate interview that matters in the real sense but the one he would have already done. I believe if he needs 2months to get this done let's oblige him.

Gbam!!!
Re: It Took GEJ One Month To Nominate Ministers In 2011 by ayindejimmy(m): 1:53pm On Jun 30, 2015
Kenai:
Your excuse for Buhari's indecision is pitiful at best.
I have seen numerous APC defenders draw up this line to deflect attention, but it's important that we set the records straight.

Many of you seem to conveniently forget that Goodluck Jonathan, unlike Buhari, was ALREADY a member of the Yar'Adua administration, hence wasn't under pressure to appoint ministers since his predecessor's appointees were already occupying those spots. When he did eventually 'appoint' his ministers, the majority of them were already in the cabinet. So, in the more honest sense, it was mostly a cabinet reshuffle with a few modifications of his own.
This is TOTALLY different in Buhari's case where all the previous appointees vacated their offices along with Jonathan, leaving their spaces empty.
I had half expected the APC and its defenders to have some modicum of common sense (even if miniscule) enough to refrain from towing that line of flawed reasoning.
Please, give us the 'Change', not the excuses!

You just shot yourself on the foot. Because your explanation is the more reason Buhari needs to take his time to appoint Ministers. This is a brand new government with an uphill task. The bulk stops on the President's table and he's culpable. We just saw Saraki... We can't afford to have another traitor in government.

Abeg let him take his time joor
Re: It Took GEJ One Month To Nominate Ministers In 2011 by Vicadonis(m): 2:09pm On Jun 30, 2015
Leave Gej out of this matter. After all you promised us change. Shouldn't your time be better... After 3 2 months you won election.
#learners

(1) (Reply)

The Igbo's / Why I Believe PMB Is A Poor Military Strategist / Photos: President Buhari,Tinubu & Amaechi At The Presidential Villa This Evening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.