Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,766 members, 7,851,615 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:57 AM

African Beliefs And Myths - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / African Beliefs And Myths (859 Views)

Throwback: The Most Bizarre Nigerian Freaky Myths Children Ever Heard (funny) / Fulani/fulbe Traditional Beliefs And Mythology / 10 Silly Nigerian's Beliefs You've Heard/Belive (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African Beliefs And Myths by Nobody: 8:03pm On Jun 30, 2015
This thread is to share posts of african myths we have heard about. Deep african beliefs that our ancestors believed in. Being the starter of this thread, i will go first.

Phythons.
There is this belief that when phythons devour their pelreys they do not like to swalloe the head so they wait for it to drop off . if an hunter comes around, if thehunter should help to cut the head of the prey off from the body before the hunter comes out of the jungle/bush the phython will change to a human form and come and meet with the hunter and share secrets /powers with the hunter.

Also before a phython dies it will climb up on a very high tree ans change into a spirit.
Re: African Beliefs And Myths by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jun 30, 2015
Insomnia.

According to the people of old the inability to sleep in the middle of the night means that you are awake in someone else's dream.
Re: African Beliefs And Myths by Nobody: 8:17pm On Jun 30, 2015
Bush baby

This is a type of miniature human found wailing in the forest. They are spiritual beings with powers. They are usually found with a mat. It is believed that if anybody can take the mat away from them succesfully they will become rich.

1 Like

Re: African Beliefs And Myths by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jun 30, 2015
Spirits in night markets.
It is believed that there are spirits in night market. if you go there bend over and look inbetween your legs or if you put thefluid from a dogs eye into your eye and look inbetween your legs you will see them walking upside down but if they catch you looking at them you are in BIG trouble.
Re: African Beliefs And Myths by Nobody: 8:38pm On Jun 30, 2015
Life after untimely death
It is believed that when it is notsomeones time to depart from the world and the person dies maybe through poison or accident, the spirit will move to another location far away from where people who know it will be and continue living till the time it is supposed to die.
Re: African Beliefs And Myths by fathomberry: 8:44pm On Jun 30, 2015
sexybaby22:
Bush baby

This is a type of miniature human found wailing in the forest. They are spiritual beings with powers. They are usually found with a mat. It is believed that if anybody can take the mat away from them succesfully they will become rich.

I find bush baby tire when I small o.
Re: African Beliefs And Myths by Nobody: 8:49pm On Jun 30, 2015
fathomberry:

I find bush baby tire when I small o.

you get liver ooo. were you really expecting not to be scared should you encounter such?
Re: African Beliefs And Myths by fathomberry: 8:50pm On Jun 30, 2015
sexybaby22:

you get liver ooo. were you really expecting not to be scared should you encounter such?

I wanted to be rich jor! Lol
Still wonna be tho. cry

But not that desperately o smiley
Re: African Beliefs And Myths by Nobody: 9:05pm On Jun 30, 2015
Osun Goddess
It is believed that once in a while, the Osun goddess comes out from the river in the osun groove. she has breasts all over her body. people claim to have seen her. she gives children to barren women and grants the wishes of those seeking her favour.

(1) (Reply)

The Voice Of The Oracle... A Message To Uncle Ifadele, Ifadavido And Ifasophia / Marriage Is One Of The Most Important Traditions In Tiv Land Rooted And There Ar / 7 Igbo Women On The Things They Dislike About Igbo Culture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.