Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,926 members, 7,817,711 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

Dstv’s Disrespect For Nigerian Consumers Has Gone Over Board - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Dstv’s Disrespect For Nigerian Consumers Has Gone Over Board (886 Views)

Serious Disrespect For Commuters By The Federal Government On This 3rd Mainland / See This Weird Wedding Dress That Has Gone Viral On Social Media / New Electricity Tariff In Nigeria: The Pains Of Nigerian Consumers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dstv’s Disrespect For Nigerian Consumers Has Gone Over Board by Nansee(f): 7:19am On Jul 01, 2015
Multichoice Nigeria, a subsidiary of South Africa-based Multichoice Africa, owners of DSTV pay television, has been known to dominate the Nigerian satellite television market.

This position of course came by arm twisting and bullying out other competitors who had the interest of the Nigerian consumers at heart, putting DSTV in a position as a luxury brand that could not be afforded by many Nigerians.

In the past few years, DSTV has constantly been in the news with one legal battle after another from aggrieved subscribers, who are dissatisfied with the programming services and unreasonable subscription hikes across their various bouquet.

Uberseun Akinfolarin, an aggrieved DSTV subscriber who started an online petition on change.org against DSTV’s exploitation said, “It's time to end the exploitation of Nigerians by DSTV. Nigerians deserve respect from DSTV and we will get it.”

Other concerned Nigerians followed suit in the demand to stop DSTV’s arbitrary price hikes, noting that recent increase in DSTV subscription is outrageous and totally unacceptable.

Chiebuka Obumselu, another aggrieved subscriber said, “I'm signing this petition because I think Multichoice is exploiting the Nigerian citizenry and also because I think we should be offered a pay-as-you-go service. I also believe there should be a standard set of about 25 channels and then an opportunity to choose other channels for the lower bouquets.”

Following the high number of complaints, the Consumer Protection Council, CPC, has commenced investigation into the operations of the Digital Satellite Television, DSTV, operated by Multichoice Nigeria Limited, over alleged consumer rights violations, in line with its mandate to provide redress for consumer abuse.

In a statement by its Director General, Mrs. Dupe Atoki, said that there are lots of complaints from consumers alleging wide-range abuse of subscribers’ rights.

Another disgruntled customer had this to say about DSTV’S disrespect for consumers. “What I however can’t understand is why I need to listen into an ad that lasts up to 40seconds whenever I put a call through to customer service. Once you put the call through, a male voice responds on the other line informing you of the several online platforms where your subscriptions can be paid. This surely is a free ad at the expense of the caller (customer).”

According to the notice of investigation, CPC said “These complaints in effect allege that the DSTV service does not conform with international best practice and is specifically designed to exploit Nigerian consumers who have suffered loss by not being able to fully enjoy or receive the benefit or actualize the full purpose for which they purchased or subscribed to the service.”

Olamide Shadeko, a banker says, “DSTV in Nigeria is a luxury product, I have had the opportunity to live in South Africa, DSTV is not as expensive over there as compared to what it is in Nigeria. You may recall that the decoder itself is not the source of income but the monthly subscription. I understand that the cost of doing business in Nigeria is very high but DSTV is not investing extra in satellite television in receiving countries like Nigeria, so my question is why can’t a common man afford it?”

The council pointed out that the consumer complaints against DSTV include “poor quality of service such as incessant disruption of service without compensation while subscription is current, wrongful abrupt disconnection of service during subsisting subscriptions, monthly subscriptions lasting less than 30 days and poor redress mechanism and customer services.

Advertisements on customer care lines at the expense of consumers, poor implementation of decoder swap policy and effecting price increase for subscriptions despite payment before due date of increase.”

Gboyega Falode, a corper, said, “DSTV is hardly found in homes of common masses. Take for example, the cheapest package they offer is the DSTV Access, which is between 1,500 and 1,800, trust me, 70 percent of the channels are not worth watching. To enjoy DSTV you need to go for at least the Compact package which cost over 9,000 and that’s an impossible amount to pay at the end of every month for an average Nigerian who earns a minimum wage.”

“The Council’s action is in line with the focus and commitment of its current administration to engage in sectorial interventions to address the myriad of problems facing Nigerian consumers with a view to getting a saner market-place in the country.”

A call that was put through to Multichoice over these allegations was unanswered.
Re: Dstv’s Disrespect For Nigerian Consumers Has Gone Over Board by HungerBAD: 7:20am On Jul 01, 2015
Just boycott their products and services.

2 Likes

Re: Dstv’s Disrespect For Nigerian Consumers Has Gone Over Board by missbehave247(m): 7:21am On Jul 01, 2015
Fg, needs do something about this DSTV issue

beside op source?
Re: Dstv’s Disrespect For Nigerian Consumers Has Gone Over Board by Nobody: 7:21am On Jul 01, 2015
Nope! Nigerians disrespected their selves. The NCC and all other responsible committe get bribed to damn their citizenry

1 Like

Re: Dstv’s Disrespect For Nigerian Consumers Has Gone Over Board by chybykee(m): 7:27am On Jul 01, 2015
These people eh!!! sad

Just because it's just them, no competitors embarassed *smh*

Just pray one springs up ASAP with enough Sports [Football grin] Channels not all these Startimes and what have you.

STAND UP NIGERIA wink
Re: Dstv’s Disrespect For Nigerian Consumers Has Gone Over Board by anuma1(m): 7:30am On Jul 01, 2015
Nigerians are known as consumers
Re: Dstv’s Disrespect For Nigerian Consumers Has Gone Over Board by southernbelle(f): 9:38am On Jul 01, 2015
gbl01:
Nope! Nigerians disrespected their selves. The NCC and all other responsible committe get bribed to damn their citizenry
you are very right. once these foreign companies have bribed the national controlling/regulatory bodies, all the Nigerian consumers can do is to complain and complain. its pathetic.

(1) (Reply)

thanks / Mega Big Website 'yudala', Millions Of Nigerians On This Website / How Intelligent Are You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.