Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,280 members, 7,815,476 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:59 PM

CALL FOR SACK OF CBN GOVERNOR - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / CALL FOR SACK OF CBN GOVERNOR (1143 Views)

Buhari's Cabinet Shake-up: My Candid Recommendations For Sack / Names Of Beneficiaries Of CBN Illegal Recrutiment+photos - Sahara Reporters / Arms Probe Deal: Bakare Calls For The Arrest Of CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CALL FOR SACK OF CBN GOVERNOR by Coolcash1: 9:51am On Jul 01, 2015
I have watched and patiently studied various policy made under the leadership of the CBN governor (Godwin Emeifele) and how it has impacted on the economy. I have observed policy inconsistency an indication of poor thought-through process followed and how clueless the governor is. The climax of it was fatuous statement he made on his first international appearance, asking the elected president then to divest government's equity interest in the JVs with IOCs and Independents to improve government liquidity. Perhaps, his lack of economics background is playing out here. CBN might be a regulator of banks but it goes beyond having a banker head the institution without a sound and robust knowledge of the workings, interplay and complexity of economic variables impacting the fiscal and monetary landscape.

During the electioneering campaign when politicians almost dollarised the economy, Emefiele, felt the best approach to avert continuous depreciation of naira was to ban payment of dollar to local vendor across industry, peg the amount of dollar to be spent in a year on foreign purchase by individuals to US$50,000 and adopt technical devaluation of naira. He failed to realize that due to peculiarity of some industry, local contractors/suppliers require dollar payment in order to remain in business as most of their equipment and materials are sourced internationally. This is the case in the oil and gas sector.

After several complains by players in the industry, Emefiele bowed to their pressure and reverse his decision vide CBN circulars in MAy and June by asking banks to exempt oil and gas company and oil servicing company from the policy. This really shows lack of in-depth analysis carried out before coming up with the policy.

Again, CBN seems yet to figure out how to prevent continuous fall of naira against dollar. It appears the only monetary tool, emefiele knows is devaluation. As I write, CBN has further devalued the naira as a further remediation strategy to mitigate foreign exchange risk. I do not support this. This action will further erode the purchasing power of Nigerians and make basic necessities of life out of their reach.

Whilst I do not have any personal vendetta against the man, I am of the opinion that we need a focused, intellectually sound, and competent person as head of the government's bank in order to design and develop efficient monetary tools and policy that will revamp our ailing economy.

cc:lailasticala
Re: CALL FOR SACK OF CBN GOVERNOR by Algebra12: 9:54am On Jul 01, 2015
I thought Buhari was going to make a one dollar to one naira?

For someone who wants to offer objective criticism, he would have to do that by outlining alternatives.

2 Likes

Re: CALL FOR SACK OF CBN GOVERNOR by ERODEDEAST(f): 10:03am On Jul 01, 2015
So another northerner will be planted therein.

3 Likes

Re: CALL FOR SACK OF CBN GOVERNOR by patrick89(m): 10:15am On Jul 01, 2015
Coolcash1:
I have watched and patiently studied various policy made under the leadership of the CBN governor (Godwin Emeifele) and how it has impacted on the economy. I have observed policy inconsistency an indication of poor thought-through process followed and how clueless the governor is. The climax of it was fatuous statement he made on his first international appearance, asking the elected president then to divest government's equity interest in the JVs with IOCs and Independents to improve government liquidity. Perhaps, his lack of economics background is playing out here. CBN might be a regulator of banks but it goes beyond having a banker head the institution without a sound and robust knowledge of the workings, interplay and complexity of economic variables impacting the fiscal and monetary landscape.

During the electioneering campaign when politicians almost dollarised the economy, Emefiele, felt the best approach to avert continuous depreciation of naira was to ban payment of dollar to local vendor across industry, peg the amount of dollar to be spent in a year on foreign purchase by individuals to US$50,000 and adopt technical devaluation of naira. He failed to realize that due to peculiarity of some industry, local contractors/suppliers require dollar payment in order to remain in business as most of their equipment and materials are sourced internationally. This is the case in the oil and gas sector.

After several complains by players in the industry, Emefiele bowed to their pressure and reverse his decision vide CBN circulars in MAy and June by asking banks to exempt oil and gas company and oil servicing company from the policy. This really shows lack of in-depth analysis carried out before coming up with the policy.

Again, CBN seems yet to figure out how to prevent continuous fall of naira against dollar. It appears the only monetary tool, emefiele knows is devaluation. As I write, CBN has further devalued the naira as a further remediation strategy to mitigate foreign exchange risk. I do not support this. This action will further erode the purchasing power of Nigerians and make basic necessities of life out of their reach.

Whilst I do not have any personal vendetta against the man, I am of the opinion that we need a focused, intellectually sound, and competent person as head of the government's bank in order to design and develop efficient monetary tools and policy that will revamp our ailing economy.

another yoruba propaganda, why are you guys cowards! All the appointments from, efcc,inec, and all the post occupied by northerners and you guys are keeping quiet! I laugh you guys are no longer spewing trash, you are waiting for the igbos to criticise buhari, so that igbos wil be the escape goat, just like what happens in 1966, cowards you are cowards you will remain!

6 Likes

Re: CALL FOR SACK OF CBN GOVERNOR by Rajjah(f): 10:17am On Jul 01, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: CALL FOR SACK OF CBN GOVERNOR by yang(m): 10:19am On Jul 01, 2015
So you can put a Northerner? Thunder fire all you Jihadists of the zoo.

The zoo must fall, soon we will seceded and you punks can create ur own Islamic country and rule ur self as you like.

We will fence Biafra land properly.

4 Likes

Re: CALL FOR SACK OF CBN GOVERNOR by luvprince4real(m): 10:25am On Jul 01, 2015
Coolcash1:

Ur fada. Who ar u to call for his sack?? If una don get one stupid degree from one stupid skul una go feel say una don reach to talk when elders dey talk. Mumu.

2 Likes

Re: CALL FOR SACK OF CBN GOVERNOR by Shortyy(f): 10:29am On Jul 01, 2015
odiegwu
Re: CALL FOR SACK OF CBN GOVERNOR by Coolcash1: 10:42am On Jul 01, 2015
To all you ethnic bigot painting my write up as tribal driven really need to look beyond your nose. Mind you, I am not an Hausa man and I have not written it to vilify the man but logically and reasonably present what the issues are.

For your info, prof. Charles Soludo is one of my mentors because i have great respect for his mental sagacity and brilliancy. I expect you people to critique my opinion constructively and not otherwise.

1 Like

Re: CALL FOR SACK OF CBN GOVERNOR by CyberWolf: 11:06am On Jul 01, 2015
Coolcash1:
To all you ethnic bigot painting my write up as tribal driven really need to look beyond your nose. Mind you, I am not an Hausa man and I have not written it to vilify the man but logically and reasonably present what the issues are.

For your info, prof. Charles Soludo is one of my mentors because i have great respect for his mental sagacity and brilliancy. I expect you people to critique my opinion constructively and not otherwise.
you are a hopeless ediot
Re: CALL FOR SACK OF CBN GOVERNOR by Juxtified(m): 11:13am On Jul 01, 2015
patrick89:
another yoruba propaganda, why are you guys cowards! All the appointments from, efcc,inec, and all the post occupied by northerners and you guys are keeping quiet! I laugh you guys are no longer spewing trash, you are waiting for the igbos to criticise buhari, so that igbos wil be the escape goat, just like what happens in 1966, cowards you are cowards you will remain!
At times I look at comments on Nairaland and I feel like weeping for this country. It shames me how Nigerians cannot hold an intellectual conversation without resorting to aggressive speech or outright abuse. Nobody makes a meaningful contribution to the discussion at hand, what you see instead is insults, ethnic bigotry, and the most childish of all - the so called space booking!
Re: CALL FOR SACK OF CBN GOVERNOR by Nobody: 11:20am On Jul 01, 2015
Coolcash1:

Don't mind those people calling you tribalist, they forget what Aregboshola has done in your life.
Re: CALL FOR SACK OF CBN GOVERNOR by grandstar(m): 11:27am On Jul 01, 2015
Coolcash1:

Your writeup is good but you are missing some points.

The devaluation is a must unless there is either an increase in dollar supply or a decrease in dollar demand.

When the demand for your currency is greater than supply , your currency depreciates making imports more costly and less affordable.

on the other hand, a weaker currency makes exporters become more competitive and this leads to an increase in exports which leads to an increase in dollars and ultimately, a strengthening of your currency.

What Emiefee is doing wrong is that he actually is not a strong believer in devaluation. He is actually preventing a devaluation by pegging the official rate at 199. The parallel market rate is 226.

That is a disparity of more than 10%, the recommended is maximum of 3% or you encourage round tripping

The naira needs to be devalued further to like 215 or 220

Its not a matter of what we like, its what got to be done. 1 +1 will always be 2 unless we are dreaming

(1) (Reply)

It Is Laughable To Say We Are Leaving APC – Dogara / Governor Rochas With United States president and Secretary Of States / Robbery On Going At Egbeda B/stop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.